Holy Christ Almighty. Thank you thank you thank you for posting this. Being in my first real trial of recovery in 10 years (I'm 27 as of 2 days ago), this is huge. Nobody, including myself has been able to put a finger on what caused my severe addiction with opiates. I had a wonderful childhood, a loving family and all the fixins'. I've had an emotionally immature girlfriend for 10 years, hot as hell, everybody wanted her and all that jazz... she is a twin too. My addiction began after our beginning of dating. I lost any potential of social life when she became controlling and convincing me that my select group of friends were the bad influence. This article just made me look at a few different things about my life from a totally different angle.. Things i was always aware of, but never truly CONSIDERED. I've always been the nerdy type.. the know it all, but didn't test well in school. I was the type to be on Jeopardy. I had plenty of friends from all the different crowds in and during school, but really none outside of school. I have a lot of reflecting to do thanks to this article and also currently being in the middle of an extended stay away from home with other family in the middle of nowhere America to try and get my recovery on the road. This is killer stuff. I'll be ordering that book first thing tomorrow.
54 days clean with 3 relapses of 20-40mg hydrocodone (was an IV heroin and fentanyl addict) and 1 failed attempt at a glass of poppy tea.. So really no relapses lol.