dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Car Trouble  (Read 36979 times)

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Re: Car Trouble
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 01, 2016, 02:14:02 PM »
Deadcat, I haven't read or heard about the new roads that are being built to generate solar power. That is really cool, and probably cost effective in the long run. I really hope the koch brothers don't try to ruin this or any of the other people making money from the way things are. I hope that we continue on that route, I can't wait till we are done with gas cars, and are on something better for the world and cheaper.

I am also looking forward to self driving cars, and flying cars, I have a few ideas of how self driving cars could work at speeds up to 200 mph and would more than likely be a much safer way then how it is now. It isn't to complicated either and seems completely do able. Has anyone seen the flying car prototypes or heard of wing boarding? Wing boarding is like wake boarding but behind a plane on a board thing that has wings. They have done successful scaled down flights without real people and are working to begin human testing.

The light rail in Denver is being finished next year, it is really cool and will more than likely help a bit on the crazy traffic we have. The train to the airport will be finished by March so it will be like the bart in San Francisco. You will be able to fly in and then jump on the train to take you downtown or wherever you need to go.

They are making the trains go all the way north to Brighton, west minster, longmont, and boulder. Northwest to Wheat ridge and arvada, They are extending the one south to go to littleton, and the other south one to lone tree and castle rock. They are finishing the one that goes all the way through aurora right next to I-225 that covers the whole length of the highway that connects to I-70 and also to I-25 down south. Here is a map of it.       http://www.rtd-denver.com/Fastracks.shtml

The trains system here is really nice to, I think it goes up to 60mph. Idk if the new ones will be faster since it has less stops and goes a lot further between stops. When it is completely finished it will be so much better, it is nice to be able to go downtown, or to a broncos, or rockies game and not worry about parking or driving. They have stops at lots of colleges like CU Denver, and at the pepsi center/6 flags, 16th street mall, Jeffco courthouse and jail, and union station is where they all connect. The new tracks will definitely make it better.

220,000 people moved here in the last 23 months if not more, so the housing market is bananas and it has made the bad traffic here much worse. Especially when it is snowing, before my car died a few weeks ago we got about 6 inches of snow. There were 3 cars that were stuck at the very bottom of the on ramp to get on the highway blocking the road completely. I had to drive through the grass part in between the onramp and highway to get on and didn't have any problems.

It did make me happy that my car was able to get around where so many others couldn't and got stuck. The cars stuck on the bottom of the on-ramp were a new honda accord, a van, and a ford explorer it was awesome that I could drive just fine where they were and go through a worse area without getting stuck or having problems.

I saw 2 huge f250 trucks wreck at different times that day because they thought having a big truck meant they could drive the speed limit when the roads were awful. I am very cautious when driving and some of the Colo. natives hate it. I grew up driving on straight ice, we had ice storms in Oklahoma not snow storms. It still looks crazy their, tons of flooding the roads are complete ice, everything is covered in ice if you haven't seen pictures you should look it up it is crazy looking.

There was a large hill that a ton of cars couldn't make it up, and I had no problems at all and I had to maneuver around all of them too. They were all stuck trying to get up and people were pushing them and they would slide back down.  I attribute it to buying new tires at the beginning of the year it's definitely not my driving ability. The only thing I do is try to pick up speed before I get to the really bad parts so that I can hopefully make it through.

I try to put as much space between me and other drivers as I can. I always try to drive in the middle of the road just incase I lose control I will have space each way to not go off road, into oncoming traffic, or on a curb. I don't trust drivers here at all, they will drive by me really fast and crash. It seemed that all the drivers that were going fast on the highway I would pass them eventually because they would lose control and be in a ditch trying to get out.

I am very surprised at how well my honda does, it's a 4 door, v6, and has front wheel drive which I hear is better then rear wheel. I always wanted a subaru because they're awd. They are the most common car in Colorado. When I was looking for cars before buying this one, the only subaru's I could afford were the early 2000 late 90s models.

Those cars are known to have bad head gaskets and replacement for them can be $2000+. The ones in my price range were right at the mileage or past where it usually happens, and the ones that had them replaced already were charging an extra $1500 taking them out of my price range. That is why I started looking at hondas my goal is to get mine to 300,000 miles. My best friend has had two hondas that he got past 300,000 miles and it seems hondas and subarus are the only ones that will last that long.

I got a killer deal I think on my car its a '97 accord EX, leather interior, power everything, and had 107,000 miles when I bought it for $2000 last year. The guy I bought it from told the dmv he gave it to me for free so I didn't have to pay the taxes on it which would of been another couple hundred. The kelly blue book for it was $3100 and would of been higher if the a/c worked.

I knew the owner he was an older guy, and took immaculate care of it which was the biggest reason for buying it, He was my neighbor for 18 months and had the car 16 years with only one owner before him. He got it at 12,000 miles. His daughter bought a new subaru and then moved to NYC so he took over her lease a month after I moved next to him but he still drove it twice a week to keep it up and running.

It had rust on the top and hood but other than that it didn't have one single scratch, the inside was perfect too, not one stain. He got the oil changed every 3000 mile. He had all the 100k mile work done like new timing belt, spark plugs, new brakes and brake fluid. He even got a brand new air conditioner motor, and compressor. He had the whole thing replaced, but it went out again before I bought it. When I got the a/c looked at the guy filled it with freon, and said it needed a few things I forgot what but he estimated it would cost $600.

That is why I was suprised when it stopped working, I knew I needed to replace the battery because it was about 5 years old but when the new one died on my it worried me. I think it has got a lot of life left in it, and that the shop tells me that nothing is wrong with it when I take it in, I need to change my brakes, but I have only done it twice and both times I was with my ex-gf who knew how to do it because all 3 of her parents are mechanics.  I have only done it on a jeep, and durango so I am assuming it is probably a lot different on a sedan.

I watched a few youtube vids to learn how and had her coach me. I am hoping I can figure out how to do it on my car, because it saves so much money and is one of those things that you should know how to do, along with jump starting a car, and changing oil and tires. When I changed the brakes on the jeep we took it to midas who quoted us at 240$ plus tax to do it, and with the tools and all the parts we were able to do it for $50. I also changed my dealers durango's brakes for 10 oxy 30s, which was pretty cool.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline puppy

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • puppy is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 24, 2023, 08:56:43 PM
  • Miss you Chem...
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
We don't get much snow in virginia...I used to tease my mom who refused to drive in it...until one snowy morning I was hit head on by a numb nut who lost control...so it's not my ability I question when it snows...its all the other  dumbasses who speed etc...like Griffin seems like Portland had more ice than snow when I was living there...but I wasn't driving then so it mattered not...it was 70 degrees on Christmas here and 55 today...I doubt we get my snow this year...sigh...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »
Griffen, Imissd the part where you said thebatery was only 4 weeks old when it started to act up. It sounds like now it has and is holding a charge but if it acts up again, have them replace it under warranty. IIRC, most batteries have 4-6 years warrantees but are pro-rated. SO, if it fails in the first year you can probably get a brand new one replaced for free but after that you get a discount on a new battery that reflects the % of thime left on the warrantee. So 2.5 years into a 5 year warrantee they would charge youhalf price for a new one.

And, you don't have to be a student at the community colllege to get your car fixed there. You just go to the auto shop/class ofice and ask if they will take it on as a project. The students do the work under the teacher's instruction. you just pay for the part. It's a not so well know benefit to having a community college or vo-tec school in the area.

I hope you are done with the interlock but if you aren't, at least look into changing to a vendor that uses Drager brand equipment. for that additional few months. Everybody hates Intoxalok and from what I hear they hate their own customers. I don't know if this has changed or it a is a regional thing but they used to make you Fed-Ex your unit's "head" to their office once a month and they would send you a new one. Naturally, late deliveries on both ends were frewuent enough to cause real problems. Their company philosophy seems to be that they are junior deputies sworn to make your life difficult becaause you are a "bad" person.

I had a friend from Denver and in or about 1990 there was a huge hailstorm and all the cars parked outside looked like golf balls. The insurance comapnies had to write off hundreds or thousands of cars as total losses but the damage was all cosmetic (except for broken windshields). Then there was a free for all in people buying the good but dimpled cars for dimes on the dollar

Get that sticker taken care of and then see about getting the fine erased if you haven't already. Maybe your boss will give you an advance that you can pay back a bit out of the next several paychecks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:03:52 PM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2016, 06:39:43 PM »
We already have self-driving cars, they're called "trains."

NFW would I get out on the highway with a bunch of computer operated cars -- it's already possible to hack certain (self parking) Priuses and the Telsa S (Teslas run Ubuntu Linux, until just recently there was an ethernet port, IN the car & hanging under the dash that gave fucking root! Tesla *JUST* fixed this!!), and I'm sure there are more, those are just the examples I've seen.

Christ I can't even stand the thought of having the accelerator as "drive by wire" instead of having a simple throttle cable, which works just fucking fine and is trivial to fix.

NFW. This is the problem with Capitalists, they always think they have to fix shit that isn't broken, they can't just leave well enough alone and go find something that actually needs fixing to work on.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
I will definitely look into that deadcat thats a really good idea thanks! Opus I could totally imagine the first few years of working out the "kinks" and a terrorist attack or two causing every car to drive into oncoming traffic. I just found out that the new trains we are getting here in Denver can go 80 mph and hold 300 people, the ones we have now only go 55 and hold 140. It is going to be quite nice to have that option, it will make going to college at CU boulder, MSU, or CU Denver a lot easier as well as living further away from Denver where it is much cheaper.

I just watched a video on youtube showing stupid rich people wrecking their lambo's and other expensive cars. It was funny but kind of hard to watch those cars get destroyed. I totally agree on not fixing it if it ain't broke, it is so stupid that 50 years ago they had prototypes of cars making it 100 miles on a gallon and 10 years ago you would be lucky to get 20 mpg.

Now people have complained about it enough the average is probably 25 or 30 mpg but in the 70s and 80s that was the average. When the 90s hit every year the cars became less efficient and I am not sure on this but probably started having a much shorter life. Which is the exact opposite of what should of happened. The oil companies have been buying all the patents for efficient car technology for the last 100 years and sitting on them so they don't lost their precious money.

I watched a documentary about a few people who made cars or modifications to engines in the 50s and 60s that could run 4000lb station wagons on 100 mpg. They all had the same story, someone basically said you continue making it or tell anyone about it you are a dead man. They went on to talk about a very mysterious suicide from one of the guys outside of vegas in the desert who they thought was murdered for telling people or continuing to build it.

A friend of mine told me that his grandfather or someone related to him like his third cousins, brothers, wifes, dogowners, father had built something that could go 100 mpg or could run on water or something like that. He had some people come and tell him that if he continued or told anyone about it he would end up in an oil barrel in the gulf of Mexico. That was the first time I had heard that threat, makes me wonder how many people have been disappeared in the ocean, it has to be a lot.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jethro

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Jethro is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:November 22, 2020, 09:56:26 AM
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2016, 01:00:10 AM »
    Most of those "70's cars getting 100 MPG" prototypes involved 'Heating the gas to vapor before combustion'.
 ( Think. . . "Carburetor on a Hot Plate" )
 With the tech back then, in real production this would of led to fires or explosions.
 It may even be a risky tech today.
              Jethro
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Der Alte Krieger

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Der Alte Krieger is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 29, 2020, 03:38:00 AM
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »

Christ I can't even stand the thought of having the accelerator as "drive by wire" instead of having a simple throttle cable, which works just fucking fine and is trivial to fix.

Or better yet, an actual mechanical throttle linkage made of 1/4" steel rod that lasts forever and the most bone headed driver can repair themselves.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2016, 02:36:32 PM »
Quarter-inch-rod activated throttles makes me think of mechanically advanced 4 barrel Holleys ;)

Dutch knows the score..

I just had a hydraulic clutch fail on me for the second time in two years - the last time it was a $1600 job and the car wasn't worth it, otherwise perfectly good little car junked over what's basically a linkage problem. Awesomeness. If it was a mechanical link that failed, it'd be something I could probably fix in the street.

I really like the idea of electrically powered cars. But electrically operated cars, not so much..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline Thoms

• "Is a sex God"
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Thoms is now quite familiar.Thoms is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 27, 2018, 01:32:26 AM
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2016, 06:33:26 PM »
Yeah the last couple replies have sort of hit spot on the biggest down fall of my Prius I have found. I love the little car but when it comes to transferring driver inputs (i.e. Throttle & braking) to the car they really made it impossible for even a decently experienced mechanic to fix things.

I will try and explain this issue without to much bs in between the facts to make it concise.

The car uses the gas engine to turn the electric motor to recharge the big drive battery(ies). I'll refer to them as the Ni-cd from here forward.

The first portion of braking uses the process of connecting the engine to the motor thereby using this increased resistance to slow the car, the next portion actually applies pressure to the actual brake shoes and pads.

The Prius has three gears to select from "forward, reverse, and braking" the braking selection engages what is basically an engine brake as soon as the throttle is let off fully. It's what I described as the first portion of braking above. It's used to save the little brake pads from getting hot on long down hills as well as helping the Ni-cds to charge.

Of course there is abs as well.

The car has what could be described best as a master cylinder with a built in proportioning valve(s). It controls a lot of said functions using a lot of brake lines and a shit ton of fluid.

There is an issue somewhere with it causing an error code and the abs not to work I have a whole new box but I guess they have a whole big machine and process to bleed the lines. It's not just your standard mechanical brake line vacuum. Toyota wants a shit ton just in labor alone to replace it and finding a decent mechanic that really understands the car is a hell of a chore to say the least.

I have an obd2 code reader to read and clear codes but the braking system codes use a Toyota only machine/computer.

The reason to type all this out was to basically agree with Opus in that it would sure be nice if those fuckers used a little empathy when they designed these systems to make it easier for the owner to fix things like that. On basically any other car it would be a no brainer.

Did I mention it will throw a code for fucking anything! Need to open up the calipers a little to fit new brake pads around the disk? You better disconnect the 12volt battery or it will throw a code only Toyota certified mechs can clear!

I guess I can't complain though  because the thing has 321000 miles on a it but it still runs damn good. The thread reminded me I need to change the oil in both cars.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Fear and self loathing in thoms.

Offline Jethro

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Jethro is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:November 22, 2020, 09:56:26 AM
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2016, 10:24:13 PM »
     One thing I hate is how simple it used to be to replace a fuel pump,
now they put them "inside" the gas tank.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2016, 11:42:41 AM »
Damn, thoms that sucks, it's so stressful to have car problems. I don't know whats more frustrating knowing whats wrong with the car and not being able to fix it because of bad design, or not knowing whats wrong and letting your mind goto the most expensive thing to replace. This is all good to know, I had no idea about the design flaws that came with hybrids, as well as all of the bad things that could come with new technology and designs.

I don't know much about cars but I was referring to the volkswagon XL1 and why we have had the same technology for so long and not used it. As well as it not being allowed in america to buy and they won't even let them show it here. Even Europe limited their production to only 2000 there so they can't really produce it cheaply and use an assembly line. I don't know exactly what the technology that allows it to be so efficient I just have read what it is and don't fully grasp it. I do believe that we should have no problem making most cars on the road get 80-100 mpg.

If it weren't for big oil buying the politicians and basically making the regulations themselves so they can keep raking in the most profit as possible and not have any competition. We should be using alt. fuel for probably 50% of everything because hemp and other fuel sources can do pretty much everything that petroleum can without being toxic when spilled and leaving a smaller carbon footprint.

I got into a little debate about fracking yesterday and was wondering what everyone else thought about it. What brought it up is the 1000s of earthquakes Oklahoma is experiencing, they had a 4.3 earthquake the day after having a 4.2 and had more quakes last year then the rest of the country combined. They have never had this many earthquakes and never had such big ones that happen frequently.

A lot of people blame fracking and I do believe it has a lot to do with it. However 2 people in the conversation who work in the industry didn't think it had anything to do with causing the earthquakes. So basically the quakes are cause by salt water injections creating lubricity on the fault lines making them more susceptible to earthquakes.

The fracking industry creates tons of salt water and other chemical run off in to the water and have to dispose of it so they inject it. There are other ways to dispose of it and they have created a lot of wells and some reservoirs but the majority just inject it. That is my understanding from the conversation I had.

The people who worked in the industry said it was the injections that cause the quakes but fracking doesn't cause an increase in injections and salt water that needs to be disposed. They said the fracking companies don't inject the water and aren't the cause of creating the excess saltwater. All oil drilling causes it and fracking has not made the amount of injections increase was basically their argument along with our need not to be dependent on other countries for resources.

We would also stop going to wars over oil which would save us money, lower the amount of fuel we use, and we wouldn't be pissing as many counties off. I don't think it is a coincidence that Iraq is the only country in the middle east whose amount of fuel has increased since 2005. Plus if we weren't in war we wouldn't be giving these companies military contracts which makes them much more powerful and able to buy more politicians. They profit a lot of money by going to, and keeping us at war and they own the politician so we are kind of powerless.

I doubt anyone thinks that we need to stop using petroleum oil 100% but the majority of our fuel use could be alt. fuel sources. Also if we didn't have unnecessary regulations that stops us from producing efficient cars then we would use a lot less fuel in general. It would create jobs to get the alt. fuels researched, and produced on the scale we need it. I don't think we would lose more jobs then we would create from doing this.

The way I see it is big oil has made it very hard for us to research, fund, produce, and use alt. fuel sources. They have also made it very hard for the car companies to produce and sell cars that are as efficient and long lasting as they should be. When I look at John and Helen Taylor who were able to get 2500 miles on one 18 gallon tank with their volkswagon and in 2006 get 1800 miles on one tank then we should be able to have very good efficiency across the board without losing power.

I can't blame the fracking companies and big oil solely for all of the problems that come with using and producing oil because it is the people who elect the politicians that are in their back pocket. If we stopped electing people who care more about money then our need to be more environmentally friendly then maybe they would change some of the unnecessary epa regulations. That way the cars we produce are as efficient as they should be and we can start producing alt. fuel sources that are better for the world.

I think it is worth paying a little more right now on fuel so that in the future we aren't relying on oil. I don't think this is how the majority thinks and they are more concerned about the price of things then the environment impact. That is why so many companies outsource so they don't have to pay for their pollution or deal with enviroment regulations so they can produce their products cheaper. The people almost force them to do that because they will buy the cheaper item even if they know that it is effectively destorying the world.

It is kind of why people don't shop local even though it would spread out the wealth gap and create more higher paying jobs. Even if they know and can afford it they will shop where it is cheapest which makes it very hard for anyone to start a business and compete in todays market. It's damn near impossible to open a pizza place and be successful against competing with pizza hut who can make pizzas for $0.04 each.

What do you guys think? Is there good reasons that we shouldn't use alt. fuels or be able to produce much more efficient cars? Do you think that if the regulations weren't in place that are stopping our ability to research and produce alt. fuels and efficient cars that we would still do it? Or do you think that Americans will always go for the cheapest thing and disregard the fact that it's killing the earth? My wish would be that we try to move towards safer and better alt. fuels and that all petroleum oil that is produced must be done so in the most eco-friendly way.

If the standards were brought to big oil companies that they had to drill in the most efficient and environment friendly way that the people would want them if it caused them it to be more expensive. I think if that was the standard that it would become cheaper over time because all of the equipment that goes in to being green and eco-friendly would be able to produce more making it cheaper. If cars are getting 5-15x better gas mileage the price of oil could go up substantially and we would still be paying less. If we could get 100-300 mpg instead of 20.

I am interested in what you guys think and if you have any info making my opinions invalid or unattainable. I like to hear both sides of the story so that I don't have some idiotic opinion, and so I know more about what is going on in our country. I think one of the best things we can do is stop lobbying. If the politicians aren't on these companies payroll they have no incentive to help them profit by destroying the earth. It is a huge problem and I don't see how it's legal because clearly these companies are the ones making the rules and regulations.

Here's the info I got about the Volkswagon XL1.
http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2014/04/volkswagens-new-300-mpg-car-not-allowed-in-america-because-it-is-too-efficient.html

And here is the info I got about Hemp oil.
http://www.wakingtimes.com/2012/12/28/everything-petroleum-does-hemp-does-better/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »
One of my blinkers is blinking fast, does that mean I need to replace it? Is it easy as it sounds to do? Do I just take off the cover and unscrew the light bulb and screw in a new one? Are the replacement lights all the same or do I need a certain one to fit my car or a certain color? Car is still running great, starts up right away I am taking it in tomorrow to get checked out.

Also how much do the code readers for cars usually cost, what would go into making one because I have an idea that involves building one/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Thoms

• "Is a sex God"
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Thoms is now quite familiar.Thoms is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 27, 2018, 01:32:26 AM
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2016, 04:03:57 PM »
If one is blinking fast that means that the other one is burned out. If the front passenger is blinking double time than the rear passenger side is burned out. The blinker relay is still sending the same number of pulses but you only have one light to blink so it blinks at twice the speed of normal. You access most lights from the back with like a quarter turn type deal, some of them have to be gotten out by taking the lines off. The auto parts store will have a reference book that will give you the part number for the specific light on your year make and model car. A cheap code reader is abou 20 or 30 bucks but the codes don't get very specific but can at least guide you to a trouble shooting tree.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:06:40 PM by Thoms »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Fear and self loathing in thoms.

Offline Griffin (OP)

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2016, 05:26:33 PM »
You were right thoms, the back driver side blinker light is out, think i need to add some blinker fluid to it ;). My car is acting a little bit weird again and i have been to lazy/busy to get the alternator checked so i am going to do this once this storm blows past, they are saying 6-14 inches could be more were at about 4 inches right now and its snowing really heavy.

When I was driving my car to school this morning, I noticed that when I turn my head lights on my radio and clock go really dim, and when i turn them off they brighten back up. A week ago it was taking an extra second rolling over to start as well. I am hoping it is nothing but I don't think my luck is that good. The last 2 times the battery problems happened were when it was snowing (like today) and also this is about the same amount of time the last battery lasted before it crapped out.

The last battery that I got when this happened had a bad cell and couldn't hold a charge, can my car do that to a battery? I think it could be the alternator and the last time when it wouldn't jump start was because of the bad battery. I am thinking that it could also be because all of the snow and moisture that is getting under my hood since the hood is messed up and snow can get under it in a few spots. My battery isn't wet at all but I am sure all the extra moisture isn't good for it.

I've got a few more weeks until I get my tax return and hopefully my school loan money which I will find out before Wednesday if I am getting that. So I will be able to get a new hood and if it is something electrical or mechanical I will be able to get it fixed luckily. At first I thought it was just my bad luck that it only happened when it was snowing so that id have to sit outside for a few hours for the bus each day, now I think the snow is part of the problem. I am praying that this is nothing and it starts and runs for another 300,000 miles, got my fingers crossed.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »
Such beautiful plastic:

http://www.autofocus.ca/media/08j63xvydwscnr/atom_featured/01_Audi-Q7-V12-Engine-Hood-Open-Cover.jpg?t=bbc387f2b99121454202bcbd2d446374

Sorry I dunno how to imbed images but I'm trying to complain about plastic engine covers hiding all the pretty bits... I guess it looks "cleaner"? Not like people who would prefer "cleaner" would ever open the hood anyways...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2016, 12:47:44 PM »
So the saga continues... I am the kind of guy who thinks if it's not broke don't fix it, and this annoys me, I was wanting to get better gas mileage out of my car, and my car can get better gas mileage so I put the Seafoam shit in my gas tank. My car is getting between 20-30 mpg usually in the lower 20s and a lot of that is because of the way I drive. I accelerate fast and don't drive as economically as I can or should, but I like to have fun, I use my cruise control a lot of the time though to make up for some of it.

I decided to put a bottle of seafoam engine gas treatment stuff in my gas tank, I put the whole bottle in my gas tank and drove it around the highway. Well now it sounds 2x as loud, it sounds like I put a fart can exhaust pipe on it like the racers in Tokyo drift do to make it sound louder. It really isn't too annoying yet, just noticeable almost to the point where it is annoying.

It sounds more like a small truck with flowmasters on it that kind of "rumble" while driving, but it's a 1997 V6, 4 door Honda accord EX with 121,700 miles. It's been treated pretty great her whole life as far as maintenance goes. All the 100k mile stuff was done, regular oil changes, I want it to get to 300,000 miles because it can and should.

It's a kind of a low rumble when I'm driving when I press the gas it gets louder obviously. It definitely changed and is noticeable now, and it started the day after I put the seafoam in it. I just put it in the gas tank, with a few gallons in the gas tank, I drove it for a while on the highway then later put a half tank or less in. I didn't add it do the oil or vac. line at all.

Is there something wrong? Is this what it is supposed to sound like normally? What happened? It sounded perfect before, very quiet I couldn't hear it at all, especially when driving on the highway. I prefer it that way, it is loud when accelerating even if I have music on its noticeable is there anything I can do, or that I did wrong. Did I mess something up? Is there something I can change to fix this problem, is this the way it should be and the car is running better?

So really any help, ideas, suggestions would be a great help, as I don't know what to do. I am flying to Oklahoma tomorrow and getting the oil changed when I get back at the end of the month. My PO can still deny me Flying to Oklahoma to see my family, I am still going to try to go. She was supposed to tell me Friday when I went in for my monthly meeting but her supervisor wasn't there, and she said she would do it today.

I leave tomorrow, She wants me to bring in a paper that I don't have because I told her I had all my community service done when I don't have any of it done. She said I had to have it done and my classes done to go but the class place didn't have any classes starting until April so all I need is my Community Service hours completed to be approved to go, but I didn't do them.

All the Community Service stuff is going through a different company, and different service, so she is kind of taking my word on it that they are done, but she wants proof. I don't have any proof at all and I haven't started it even, and I don't know what to give her since I have nothing. I am hoping since it is a different company doing all the community service stuff that she won't be able to get any info from them and just okay me to go with out the paper because she likes me.

I haven't seen my family for 2 years, I already bought the non-refundable plane tickets, and she knows how much this week and going to see my family would mean to me and how much it is depressing me that I have been stuck in this state for 3 years on probation without being able to see my family or anything. I have had 3 years of clean UAs, no missed appointments or fees, or anything. I have been perfect pretty much

The only thing I have fucked up was getting arrested over a BS methadone DUI which my PO knew full well, I was driving there on done. She had known I had been driving on methadone every day for the past 3 years. She was happy that I was going to drive to see my family and knew all about me driving there while on methadone. When I originally got my car and insurance my PO was stoked for me and knew full well I was on MMT when I got it and when I was going on my trip. She was stoked I was going she never mentioned once driving on mmt could be illegal.

When I was driving home to see my family in Oklahoma it'd been over 19 hours since I'd even taken my dose when I got pulled over. I had woke up at 5 AM, packed for the trip, worked an 8 hour day, and was driving for almost 4 hours when I got pulled over. Boom DUI on methadone because I couldn't stand on one leg for 20 seconds with one eye closed without swaying for balance. I got ZERO help from her and I MOST definitely DID NOT GET ANY warning from her when she was giving me my license and talking about my trip to make sure I knew it is a dui drive while on MMT. That never happened I shouldn't of been charged fucking crooks.

This is the week I got arrested last year for the done DUI, so I am being extra careful, my dealer is calling me twice a day with super deals that I am staying away from. If my PO denies me flying to see my family I am going to be so pissed. I am going to try and go anyway and deal with it when I get back. I haven't been able to visit my family in 2 YEARS because of her last year when they arrested me for the MMT DUI while trying to drive home to see my family over spring break which really pissed me off because my PO knew I was driving knew I had gotten my car 5 months before and was super happy for me and she knew I was going to be driving there while on methadone but she didn't say shit.

So Please pray that she approves me i am tired of waiting and worrying. i really hope and wish that she doesn't deny me seeing my family again its been over 2 years which is her fault for the most part anyway and I really want to see my family. What should I do about my car, any ideas? and what should I do I'm my PO says yes on no to me going? what should i do??
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal