dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Question/Need help troubleshooting CD/DVD burner drive  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Tainted (OP)

• Psychonaut former narcotics connoisseur
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Tainted is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 31, 2021, 08:16:02 PM
  • Former Moderator
Question/Need help troubleshooting CD/DVD burner drive
« on: February 29, 2016, 09:19:10 PM »
Not sure if this is the approriate forum to post this in, I tried seeing if there was a unrelated to drugs subforum but this seemed general enough. If anyone has suggestions for a forum that would be better for troubleshooting my problem, I'd check out as well.

I just got a brand new computer off Newegg, a CyberPower PC, which doesn't have the greatest reputation for quality, but they have an excellent return/refund policy and are always prompt and are cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230073

That's the computer. It's got a 24x LG M-disc ready CD/DVDRW burner. Computer came with windows 10.

So , I'm trying to figure out if the problem I'm having is just related to windows 10 or if I got a bad CD drive. if it's a bad CD drive, I'm sure I can just remove the drive, put in an RMA with newegg and have them send me a new one.

I've used cds a couple times to install stuff with no issues. I tried burning an audio cd with windows media player which failed at about 20%. so I installed a cracked copy of nero 2014 (which works fine on a diff computer, albeit windows 8.1) and every CD i tried to burn failed (set it to deteremine fastest speed, simulate, verify written data, etc.) I saved a couple of the log files from nero. I figured maybe that version wasn't good with windows 8, so I installed nero 2016, and kept getting burn failures. Also, the disc drive got REALLY loud when it was attempting to burn the cd, even when the write speed was set low.

Ended up uninstalling them and giving windows media player another go. I was successfully able to burn 4 cds so long as I set the write speed to the slowest setting. cd drive didn't get abnormally loud this time.

at this point, I just figured it was nero that wasn't working. my dad asked me to to make ISO files off of 5 dvds hes got, so I went ahead and did that with the first 3 of them with daemon tools, no problem. Then I got to the 4th one and it kept freezing up while trying to load the title/size of the DVD. Eventually, daemon tools said it was a multisession DVD so it couldn't rip it as an ISO (it ISN'T a multi session DVD) so I moved onto the next disc, which was just an audio CD (not a dvd.) I popped that in and daemon tools would lock up trying to read the title of the cd, the cd drive would keep spinning like it was trying to read it, before I even started trying to do anything. so that happened 3 or 4 times, so I opened windows media player and tried to play the contents of the disc. it took forever to start playing and when it did, the audio would skip like every other second.

So I was hoping someone could help me determine more definitively if my issue is somehow software related (windows 10, or whatever doesnt matter what) or if it's a faulty disc drive?

the only other thing I was thinking that it could be is that it's an M-Disc capable drive. Millenia Discs are CDs/DVDs that have a mineral coating on it that when burned it actually melts the minerals. so the coating can take much more physical abuse, can take extreme temperature cycling, and supposedly will last a thousand years. Maybe something with that makes the player not work well with ordinary old CDs/DVDs? although I've read that shouldn't happen.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
And sometimes we visit your country and live in your home
Sometimes we ride on your horses, sometimes we walk alone
Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own" -GD

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
Re: Question/Need help troubleshooting CD/DVD burner drive
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:47:29 PM »
I use and recommend 'imgburn' free software (add sourceforge to searches for decent freeware and only go to principal sites).

image an *audio CD (read test) to disk and then rewrite the image you wrote to a blank CD or DVD (write test) then try to read or play it with WMP (Win. Media Player) (verification test)

if it fails then you can suspect the hardware ... follow my steps using imgburn and then let us know how you go ... I really doubt that it's a Win10 issue.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:15:12 PM by chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Guts

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:51:58 PM »
So on the specs it says you have a dvdrw. I don't think a dvd burner can burn cds, can it?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
So on the specs it says you have a dvdrw. I don't think a dvd burner can burn cds, can it?

yeah, it can but some DVDs can't *read Blueray.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal