dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Cotton fever? Or...???? wtf!  (Read 17827 times)

Offline Güey (OP)

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Güey is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 01, 2019, 09:12:16 AM
Cotton fever? Or...???? wtf!
« on: November 07, 2015, 07:20:31 AM »
Hey guys. I've been getting pretty sick lately, and I'm hoping for some feedback. I've never had cotton fever, and I'm not sure if that's what I'm experiencing now. Whatever it it, it f'ng SUCKS :(

So, about 10 days ago, I all of a sudden got a horrible, splitting headache, extreme chills, uncontrollable shaking, nausea, general body aches... It came on really quick, and the acute phase lasted a few hours, and I was pretty much feeling perfectly normal after 24 to perhaps 36 hours later.

Last night I had the same thing happen, although all in all it wasn't quite as intense...

So, like I said, I've never had cotton fever, but after google'ing these symptons, that's what it sounds like I have, BUT... some things don't quite add up, as far as my understanding of what cotton fever is, how you get it, etc.

Both times, I was just doing a regular old blast of BTH. I was NOT doing a cotton rinse. These symptoms didn't come on until about 2 to 4 hours after doing a blast. My understanding is that cotton fever is pretty much immediate.

For what it's worth, I always use clean, new needles. I use new cottons that I get from my local needle exchange. I apply heat to the BTH before getting off. In general, I try to be as clean/safe as possible.

So, it sounds like cotton fever, but the time frame thing is throwing me off, as well as the fact that I wasn't doing a rinse. I looked up a few other things, such as endocarditis, that also seem liken they might fit the bill. I'm just not sure, and I was hoping some of you'se guys had some input. In addition to being extremely unpleasant, it's a bit scary, too...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
¡No mames!

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
Re: Cotton fever? Or...???? wtf!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 07:40:34 AM »
Try asprin. If you can get it under your tongue do it,
but take 900 mg of aspirin. It needs to be aspirin.

It's not going to hurt.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:43:59 AM by Jega »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 08:35:57 AM »
Good advice for symptomatic relief.^^^

But I'd want to get to the bottom of what's causing these repeated bouts of cotton fever.

I had that shit once, and it kicked in about 30 minutes after a shot (of bupe, no less).

But a few hours wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for the time frame.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Güey (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
I'll definitely give the aspirin a try. My main concern, though, is exactly what's going on. It seems to me that cotton fever pretty much happens immediately, as far as things I've read on the internet, as well as seeing my friends go through it. Also, as I said, I wasn't doing a rinse both times I've experienced this.

It's just weird that it took hours after a blast to kick in, I've never had it before- ever, but now this has happened twice in a week... Odd :(

Also, I wanted to know if this is no big deal, and just suck it up. Or, get my ass to an ER cause something is bad-wrong...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
¡No mames!

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »
Your dope could be microbially (is that even a word?) contaminated. Wouldn't be too surprising. Try some different shit, and if it still happens, there's always poppy seeds, right?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Güey (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 08:59:43 AM »
^^^ I was wondering about that, Zoops. Good point.

I cop in an open air spot, and there are quite a few different crews there, with different looking bth. I'll try to make note of which one's get me sick, if that's the case. I hope not, though. That would suck :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
¡No mames!

Offline Thoms

• "Is a sex God"
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Thoms is now quite familiar.Thoms is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 27, 2018, 01:32:26 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »
Ive had the fever twice the first time it was like atleast an hour after my shot and the second was 45 minutes or so after that shot. Only the second was a cotton shot and the first a new blast. Bleach your spoon and make sure to clean all your gear as good as you can.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Fear and self loathing in thoms.

Offline Tainted

• Psychonaut former narcotics connoisseur
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Tainted is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 31, 2021, 08:16:02 PM
  • Former Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 11:27:34 PM »
necroing an old thread, but adding worthwhile information for anyone who UTMFS

cottonfever can be caused by tainted dope (ive had batches that gave me bad cottonfever every time i used it. last time i used a batch, 3rd cotton fever, i fell asleep, and woke up with my foot semi paralyzed for 6 months, could bend toes down, but if shoe was on theyd get stuck cause no strength to lift toes back up. limped, etc. assume my brain nearly fried)

ive also realized using tap water in certain areas (that have city water) can cause cottonfever. My ex's parents house in orlando, tap water gives you cotton fever EVERY time. a house i lived in , tap gave cottonfever EVERY time (yet 1 mile away, although technically different city, the tap is fine)

what I've found to be the best course of action for cottonfever is to take 2 200mg ibuprofen, 2 APAP (standard strength OTC) and 1 Aleve. Then, preferably when the symptoms are still coming on and not yet in full blast, take a warm shower (not cold, NOT hot-Cottonfever makes you feel freezing even though your temp is normally 103-106. you have to resist the urge to crank the shower as hot as it will go, as if the water is hot enough it could theoretically raise your body temp, not cool it off. ive gotten cottonfever , used way too hot water in the shower, got out, and my gf said i was like delerious, not making any sense, BAD shit)

but anyways, the regiment I just described is normally enough to cut cottonfever off, if your not at the shivering BAD stage, you likely won't get to it if you shower quick enough, using moderately warm water.

Few other things I've noticed can cause cotton fever:
1.) If you save your cottonshots (this is mainly for pill people) don't ever put your spoon/cap with slightly damp leftover pill/cotton in a cellaphane (it creates an enviroment thats humid and the little bit of liquid in the cap doesn't evaporate) I always leave my cap on my desk with the ceiling fan on so it evaporates the water quickly. quicker it dries out the better.

2.) Sucking a shot up the night before you plan to use it causes cottonfever EVERY time with me. I know people that don't have that problem, but I wouldn't do it. I won't suck a shot up unless I'm planning on using it in the next hour, normally I just don't suck it up ahead of time.

3.) Make sure when your done with your shot, you rinse the blood out AND you make sure you get all the water out of the spike (dont rinse the blood out and leave 2 units of water sucked up, it's likely to grow bacteria and next time you do a shot, even if you spray that water out and suck up new, the bacteria is still in your rig)

I've gotten pretty good about not getting cottonfever. I do, including cottonshots, on average 12-20 shots a day. I know what areas of town to avoid using their tap water. I regularly check the local government/water companies website for boil water notices, burst pipes, etc. (in which case I use bottled) I used to get cottonfever very frequently, like periods of getting it several times a week sometimes. Now, I can go a year or two without getting it at all.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
And sometimes we visit your country and live in your home
Sometimes we ride on your horses, sometimes we walk alone
Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own" -GD

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 11:35:36 PM »
i just had 2 consecutive dirty shots - i mistakenly used a bottle containing old Methadone and another time was because i forgot to swab.

i was careless on both counts.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Dog Food

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Dog Food is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 30, 2021, 02:49:57 AM
  • Our Community
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 04:56:14 AM »
I know ive had that same shit happen to me a couple times before, years ago, and wondering the same shit about the time frame.  I just remember sitting in the chair watching tv, then all of a sudden getting cold then shaking/teeth chattering and shit at the worst part for a half hour or hour or so.  I just remember myself wondering why it took so long if was cotton fever.  I cant say ive ever done a shot, and immediately got cotton fever like alot have, so im not really positive what its like tbh or if those were delayed c-fever.  In 5 years iving ive never gotten it like that, just gotta let the spoon/cotton air dry after a shot.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Thoms

• "Is a sex God"
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Thoms is now quite familiar.Thoms is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 27, 2018, 01:32:26 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 10:38:57 AM »
Good ole cotton fever, isn't it crazy what we will put straight into our blood stream. I've gotten it from a bunch of morphine cottons I had to business even trying to do a rinse on. I knew better but had to tempt fate and I paid for it. The best thing to do is to put some aspirin under your tongue or at least eat some, also if you can do another shot. Obviously with ALL new works. As has been stated the fever can come from ANYthing from the spike to the spoon to your skin. In this case that might be the culprit. Generally speaking us junkies don't have the best hygiene. Not to say your a dirty bird but generally speaking. Heating shots won't do anything to sanitize a shot. Anyway cotton fever sucks ass and if you haven't had it consider yourself blessed.

Btw I'm aware the original post is old but I figure since it was necrod I would throw my .02 into the mix since I don't post much lately.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Fear and self loathing in thoms.

Offline Daughter of Dionysus

• HeAd Is The Shit Up In This Bitch
  • Reputation Power: 38
  • Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:August 12, 2017, 11:25:29 AM
  • Don't Laugh, I'm Being Cool
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »
I've had this happen
Hours after having a shot

It doesn't necessarily come on immediately

Everything you use can be clean
And it can still happen

The aspirin
Under your tounge
Is great advice
Children's chewable aspirin can help too

I learned about the
Children's chewable aspirin
By having cotton fever
Come on in the middle of the store
While shopping with my nieces and mother
They were freaking out
B/c they had no idea
What was happening to me
I did so
I quickly bought some
Children's chewable aspirin
Chewed it
And within a few minutes
The cotton fever was gone

A hot hot bath
Has always helped me too
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are all curious about
The things
That may harm us

-Federico Garcia Lorca

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity!
- BulletTooth Tony

Offline Tainted

• SA_Chat+
  • Former Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 02:34:21 PM »
I know ive had that same shit happen to me a couple times before, years ago, and wondering the same shit about the time frame.  I just remember sitting in the chair watching tv, then all of a sudden getting cold then shaking/teeth chattering and shit at the worst part for a half hour or hour or so.  I just remember myself wondering why it took so long if was cotton fever.  I cant say ive ever done a shot, and immediately got cotton fever like alot have, so im not really positive what its like tbh or if those were delayed c-fever.  In 5 years iving ive never gotten it like that, just gotta let the spoon/cotton air dry after a shot.

i had a friend get out of jail (was living in the woods) and he had a cottonshot off 10 30mg roxys in a cap, in cellaphane, in his tent, so he went straight for it (had been locked up for maybe 2 days, plenty of time for fungus and bacteria to grow) he shot it and within minutes told his wife somethings wrong call 911, collapsed, had a fungal infection that had him in and out of the hospital for a month at a time over the course of 2 years, hes really really lucky that shot didnt outright kill him. he collapsed before the ambulance got there, when they did get there, finally took his temp and it was like 95 degrees, kept fluctuating between 95 and 105.

for me thuogh, ive nveer had cottonfever come on sooner than 45 minutes after doing a shot, but it normally takes hours. one of the worst ones i ever had was when i did a shot, went and worked a 6 hour shift, picked a friend up, hung out for maybe 2 hrs, THEN i got cottonfever.

but taking a warm shower or bath is practically a cure for cottonfever. every single time i get it, if i hop in shower quick enough, im not shivering/shaking by the time i get out. i still feel like shit, but most of the symptoms are gone.

ive been told that every time you give yourself cottonfever, you risk getting bacterial endocarditis (i maybe wrong, but it was explained to me as bacteria that makes it to the heart, kinda makes it into an edge of the heart where the blood doesnt flow with such huge pressure, and then it grows and grows and grows until BAM it pops and you drop dead) any truth to that?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
And sometimes we visit your country and live in your home
Sometimes we ride on your horses, sometimes we walk alone
Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own" -GD

Offline Dopeless Hopefiend

• Dopeless Hopefiend is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 30, 2017, 01:20:01 AM
  • Reduce Harm, Connect and Educate !
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »

ive been told that every time you give yourself cottonfever, you risk getting bacterial endocarditis (i maybe wrong, but it was explained to me as bacteria that makes it to the heart, kinda makes it into an edge of the heart where the blood doesnt flow with such huge pressure, and then it grows and grows and grows until BAM it pops and you drop dead) any truth to that?

Fuck yes there is! My best friend spent close to a year in the hospital after a horrible endo infection. Ended up needing open heart surgery and having her spleen removed because the infection travelled so much. I mean that shit was everywhere. She even had to have antibiotic injections directly into her eyes. Most horrifying thing I've ever witnessed. They tried treating with it antibiotics for months but couldn't seem to knock that shit out until they did the 2 major operations. Given, this isn't something that happened overnight from one bad shot so much as a 2 year run of shooting speedballs all day every day. Who knows how many dirty shots she did.
I had a horrible mrsa infection back in '05-'07 that almost killed me and towards the tail end of my run before I finally went to the hospital  I started getting what I thought was cotton fever on a regular basis. Looking back, I'm sure it was the infection raging in my bloodstream that was causing it, but fuck that shit was miserable.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it. - Albus  Dumbledore

Offline Tainted

• SA_Chat+
  • Former Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 03:15:31 PM »
Fuck yes there is! My best friend spent close to a year in the hospital after a horrible endo infection. Ended up needing open heart surgery and having her spleen removed because the infection travelled so much. I mean that shit was everywhere. She even had to have antibiotic injections directly into her eyes. Most horrifying thing I've ever witnessed. They tried treating with it antibiotics for months but couldn't seem to knock that shit out until they did the 2 major operations. Given, this isn't something that happened overnight from one bad shot so much as a 2 year run of shooting speedballs all day every day. Who knows how many dirty shots she did.
I had a horrible mrsa infection back in '05-'07 that almost killed me and towards the tail end of my run before I finally went to the hospital  I started getting what I thought was cotton fever on a regular basis. Looking back, I'm sure it was the infection raging in my bloodstream that was causing it, but fuck that shit was miserable.

That's another thing I've always wondered about. In my ten years of IV drug use, I've only ever gotten an abcess one time, on my forearm, closest towards the crook. I kept shooting in what seemed like the same vein, just 5 inches further towards hand. But I got cotton fever every night for days. Ended up going to the hospital, they stuck it and tried to suck pus out but couldn't, so they just gave me script of anti biotics and it eventually healed into a big as scar.

When you've got an abcess, even one that's not terrible (mine was big but didn't hurt too bad and had very little pus in it I assume cause I dosed it with neosporin and kept heat on it 24/7) does it make you feel like you've got cotton fever? Or is it from using the same vein z just further up (so the drugs still have to pass the part of vein adjacent am abcess)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions