dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: What is your ancestry?  (Read 26804 times)

Offline Illadelph215 (OP)

• Whiskey bent and hellbound
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 28, 2022, 06:21:24 PM
  • Our Community
What is your ancestry?
« on: March 19, 2016, 12:42:39 AM »
I'm always surprised when I find out someone knows nothing about their family's past. I feel bad when their family life was a drag and that's the reason but some people just don't care. I'm mostly Irish and have family who came during the potatoe famine, most coming to Philly. My grandfather who is 100%, his grandpa was a Molly Maguire, who if you don't know worked in the coal mines in Pa and revolted helping to create unions. Some were killed and some ran away in hiding, which he did. His name was Bull Cassidy. I am also German and French but know less about their history since it's a small % and those family members have died. Interested in your family's history, stories are always neat if any were past down.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:46:46 AM by Illadelph215 »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
There is no future, there is no past. In the present, nothing lasts.

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
Re: What is your ancestry?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:53:40 AM »
my past is...in no order...because it's what I want, amoeba, Hominidae, Chordate of some cool fish thing, white, Maltese, Irish, Scottish, English, probably some other white countries, I should do the genetic test thing...probably a lot of humanoids who were dicks... I'm cool stopping here.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:24:54 AM by Jega »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 01:08:08 AM »
You can get a good genetic makeup test done for about $150 (I think) Ancestry.com. I had mine done using a cheek swab.

The results were  different than what I had expected and interesting. I found I am much more a a "mutt" than my parents or grandparents would have believed. After watching shows like "Vikings" I can pretty easily see how anybody with ancestry from Europe has some blood from the entire Eurasian land mass in them. What surprised me (and pleased me most) was to find out I am about 10% Native American.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:11:27 AM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline puppy

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • puppy is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 24, 2023, 08:56:43 PM
  • Miss you Chem...
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 01:50:26 AM »
Do some comparison shopping on the DNA testing...you can find a much cheaper one...don't fall for the national geographic one...no need to pay that much...there are a ton out there...and some supply different info...my mom did the 23andMe and received a ton of info (all online) ...she been bugging me to do it too...@Illadelph215 another fellow Irish ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Fat Pie

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • Fat Pie is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 12, 2022, 04:01:23 PM
  • Welcome to drugs-and-users !
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 01:58:00 AM »
Half Irish, half English.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

• SA_Chat+
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Our Community
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 02:20:42 AM »
I used ancestry.com as well. It's funny how many people have Irish blood since it's just a wee little island and all. It's obviously mostly the east coast since that's where most of the immigrants migrated during the famines and all but there's still big pockets all around. @DeadCat, I'm jealous of your Native American ancestry, they were always my favorite topic in history and I have much respect for them. Do you know which tribe by chance?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 02:30:00 AM »
@DeadCat:

Ancestry DNA is now on sale for $99. That's lower than the usual price last I checked. It was in the $200s. Maybe even $299. I don't exactly remember, but I know it was in the $200s.

Now that's not to say it was more expensive in the past. Also, maybe the one I'm referencing is a very basic model, with upgrades costing more.

http://dna.ancestry.com

@Illadelph215:

I'm afraid I'm one of those people who don't know much about their family history. I know, it's shocking, as I'm a history aficionado. One would think I'd know. I do want to, but that takes time, and I'm currently amotivational.

The only thing I do know is about my grandparents, more so my maternal grandmother. My maternal grandfather died before I could really remember him.

And my paternal grandmother died when I was seven at 91 years old. I vaguely remember going to her funeral, and I technically met her when I was a baby, but that's it. My paternal grandfather is even worse. He died in 1957, so I obviously didn't meet him. She was born in 1896, and he was born in 1890.

Before you scoff, consider the fact that my father was the youngest in his family, born when she was in her late thirties. Also that I was born to an older mother and father too.

The only other tidbit I know is that my earliest ancestor was my great, great, great, however many greats grandfather, who came to the Colony of Virginia in 1635 from Yorkshire, England, and leaving from London. He came on a ship called George. They have passenger lists for early colonial crossings.

I know that because I found a genealogical website where another person with my surname did their own genealogy. They listed that fact. I also went to the passenger list. We have the same common ancestors, up until a point.

I am only guessing, but being in the north of England, some of my ancestors also could have been from Lowland Scotland. I say lowland and not highland because I doubt people from there would travel to the north of England, whereas lowland Scottish people might

Also most people in the past didn't travel far from home. But it's at least possible. I don't claim it because I don't know for sure.

Other than that, that's all I've got.

I highly suggest people look at Family Search. It's completely free. No upgrades either. Free as in free. It's put up by the Mormons, because they believe they should be record keepers. It's better to use that than pay for Ancestry if you've not gotten it.

https://familysearch.org
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 02:57:10 AM »
I used ancestry.com as well. It's funny how many people have Irish blood since it's just a wee little island and all. It's obviously mostly the east coast since that's where most of the immigrants migrated during the famines and all but there's still big pockets all around. @DeadCat, I'm jealous of your Native American ancestry, they were always my favorite topic in history and I have much respect for them. Do you know which tribe by chance?

I don't know the  tribe. Because we had my mom's done and she had none I know it came from my dad's side and he was born in Medellin, Colombia but his mother was a blonde from Brazil so who knows? I'm guessing it is a South American tribe but it is generally believed THEY migrated down from North America and Asia before that, but I showed 0% Asian.

It also showed Bristish Isles, Scandinavia, Western Europe, Caucuses, little bits from all around the Mediteanean. They provided a map with the areas that contibuted to my DNA profile and I can SEE history, the different confilcts and migrations that we read about all lead to "races" mixing.

It even showed a tiny bit from West Africa, which I'd imagine were captured as slaves.

I know it isn't that interesting to hear about someone else's DNA I only mentioning it because it is SO interesting to see your own and wonder how and when these groups mixed that I'd recommend it to anyone. It really reminds you that much of what we assume about our ancestry is based on just what we know from the last couple generations and what they tell us.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:21:22 AM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

• SA_Chat+
  • Our Community
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 04:08:37 AM »
@Narkotikon no scoffing here, I had very little info from my moms side because her parents died young and she never really asked questions. I had to find out myself and it was hard and vague. That is awesome you have relatives from a colony on Va in the 1600's. I didn't have family here until the 1800's. I have no British blood either which was surprising. Also thanks for the website as I never heard of it.      @DeadCat I find it VERY interesting. You have quite the family history and being able to see a map, migrations and conflicts would be awesome. I never got that far with my searches. I can't imagine the feeling I finding out such information.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 04:42:13 AM »
Croatian (Yugoslav)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline St. Theresa

• Reputation Power: 0
  • St. Theresa has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 06, 2018, 09:37:13 PM
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »
I don't know the  tribe. Because we had my mom's done and she had none I know it came from my dad's side and he was born in Medellin, Colombia but his mother was a blonde from Brazil so who knows? I'm guessing it is a South American tribe but it is generally believed THEY migrated down from North America and Asia before that, but I showed 0% Asian.

It also showed Bristish Isles, Scandinavia, Western Europe, Caucuses, little bits from all around the Mediteanean. They provided a map with the areas that contibuted to my DNA profile and I can SEE history, the different confilcts and migrations that we read about all lead to "races" mixing.

It even showed a tiny bit from West Africa, which I'd imagine were captured as slaves.

I know it isn't that interesting to hear about someone else's DNA I only mentioning it because it is SO interesting to see your own and wonder how and when these groups mixed that I'd recommend it to anyone. It really reminds you that much of what we assume about our ancestry is based on just what we know from the last couple generations and what they tell us.

Yep, very interesting, so cool.

My sister and my cousin had theirs done. I'm not giving my DNA to anyone unless there's sex or a warrant involved. Both are mutually exclusive......Or combined. Lol *knock knock, "I have a sex warrant for a Mr. Pervy Jones "

But I digress...I'm mainly Irish and Dutch/German with a mix Scandinavian blood in there.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. "I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs."
"I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking."
"Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!"
"Shut up! Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control."-BH

Offline neighbor

• marquis de nod
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • neighbor has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:September 10, 2016, 05:45:42 PM
  • carpet diem
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 02:22:31 PM »
this reminds me, I sent some saliva to 23andMe and they just stole it without telling me some shit about my spit.

its been 3 months and they still have my spit.

my brother paid like $200 for me to have my spit stolen
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I do not thus betray my enjoyments to the vulgar"

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »
Half Swiss-German, half English, with a smidge of Welsh thrown in for grins (and being part Swiss necessitates a bit of Italian and French).

You can't get any Whiter. 'simpossible.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:40:16 PM by Zoops »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Zoops

• Deceased
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 02:39:25 PM »

That would be so cool to learn you're like 1/64 Black! Maybe just to have the, um, the UH, the erm, equipment? Do you look Black?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
- Yogi Berra

- Louis C.K.

Offline Zoops

• Deceased
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
I'm not giving my DNA to anyone unless there's sex or a warrant involved.

That can be arranged. :) :o :o
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
- Yogi Berra

- Louis C.K.

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal