dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: vermonts first opium epidemic  (Read 8737 times)

Offline clinton (OP)

• Reputation Power: 8
  • clinton is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 13, 2016, 05:09:47 AM
  • Harm Reduction & Safe Using
vermonts first opium epidemic
« on: November 30, 2015, 12:18:45 AM »
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2015/11/19/history-vermonts-first-opium-epidemic/76078404/

The story of Vermont's involvement with deadly narcotic drugs is not new and extends far back in the state's history, exposing an ugly side to the proclivities of many of its inhabitants in the latter half of the 19th century.
It was something that many in positions of authority at the time knew full well existed but refused to publicly acknowledge, unwilling to divert attention from what they deemed a more important problem, that of alcohol. Languishing as it did for an inordinately long period of time while the state myopically focused its efforts on enforcing prohibition, the problem only accelerated.
It was not until the arrival of the 20th century that much needed light was finally shed on the true state of Vermonters' consumption of, and ensuing addiction to, opium, morphine and heroin. Certainly not the only state to experience such a phenomenon at the time, Vermont's experience was in fact so unusual that it drew the attention of many — contributing, in part, to the passage of the nation's first drug laws.
Helping the 'deranged'
By comparison, the early 19th century saw little evidence of any addiction to opium, the principle drug of choice for the medical profession in dealing with various kinds of injuries — in quieting high fevers, suppressing the violent actions of delirium tremens (symptoms of alcohol withdrawal), and to render lethargic the mentally unbalanced, or as they were called, the "deranged."
Opium was unrestricted in its sale and use, readily available to anyone interested in making a purchase, regardless of whether it originated from the poppies cultivated in local gardens or imported from far off Turkey and India.
Opium was also used in a more relaxed, or what we call today "recreational," manner. Opium chewing, together with those imbibing in a similar fashion with tobacco, constituted the alternative ways of satisfying one's need for a stimulant when not otherwise inclined towards consuming alcohol. Strong potions such as whiskey and gin, those that delivered increased concentrations of alcohol into one's system as a result of the distillation process, caused the violent behavior that many witnessed, drawing the attention of many unconcerned with what the opium chewers and eaters were doing in relative quietness.
A vibrant temperance movement was created, resulting in strident crusading opposition expanding to virtually all things alcohol between 1852 and 1902. But when one stimulant becomes difficult to obtain, it is not surprising to then see the rising use of opium occurring.

However, there is more to the story and includes the huge problems that medical men presented with their powdered opium-based prescriptions, telling the population to dissolve them in alcohol and to drink it regularly, a practice called "dram drinking." This brought on many instances of addiction. Dissension among medical men in identifying various diseases, discerning appropriate treatments, and, when opium was called upon, trying to determine the appropriate dosage levels made for skeptical patients.
As a result, widespread self-medicating took place as adults took it upon themselves to diagnose conditions and then set off for the local general store to purchase whatever drug they thought would address their problem. For their children, resistant to taking alcohol, opium, tobacco or any other noxious tasting substances,
sugar was added, thereby creating an early and easy familiarity with harmful substances that they then took into their adulthood

Enter the druggists
Complicit in the failures of the medical profession were the druggists, also seeking to establish themselves as a credible profession, while at the same time competing with doctors as they also engaged in their own diagnosing, prescribingand dispensing of dangerous substances. They too experienced a challenging period of growth as they transitioned from working in the obscure, filthy back rooms of general stores to the polished, marbled shops displaying their multi-colored glass-encased medicines.
Unknown by many at the time, the pharmacists also had their secrets as they worked closely with manufacturers and suppliers of drugs and arranged for appropriate kickbacks to keep the relationship lucrative. Doctors became a part of the secret relationships, receiving their own monetary rewards for sending patients to favored druggists with prescriptions written in code so that only those with inside knowledge would understand what was to be dispensed

As if the problem could not get any worse, entrepreneurs took full advantage of the unrestricted times in creating their own noxious patent substances, also called nostrums and quack medicines, which contained opium and morphine. Following the invention of the hypodermic syringe in 1853, and with the return of soldiers exposed to opium during the Civil War, the problem only escalated. Substantial amounts of the drug were consumed in the next decades and many addictions arose, but none of it drew the attention of the Vermont Legislature as it continued to focus on prohibition.
Finally, in 1900, University of Vermont researcher and dean of the medical school, Dr. Ashbel Grinnell, provided conclusive evidence of the opium problem, determining that in a month's time the state's druggists sold, conservatively, some 3,300,000 doses each and every month. It was enough to provide one and one-half doses to each man and woman for an entire year. However, the problem continued, until the state Legislature finally passed the state's first drug law in 1915.
Yet, a century later, in his State of the State Address in January of 2014, Gov. Peter Shumlin proclaimed, "In every corner of our state, heroin and opiate drug addiction threatens us. It threatens the safety that has always blessed our state. It is a crisis."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:22:04 AM by clinton »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the vein...

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
Re: vermonts first opium epidemic
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 12:34:04 AM »
Damn, I was really hoping that
A) There was a modern day, honest to dog, opium problem in Vermont.
B) That a stupid reporter mistook black tar heroin for opium due to stupid kids buying "opium" from cartel members.
C) Some kind of combination of the two.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline thetalkingasshole

• Self-Transforming Machine Elf
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • thetalkingasshole has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 06, 2019, 06:22:48 AM
  • Always with an arm out and a leg up
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 04:26:19 PM »
B) That a stupid reporter mistook black tar heroin for opium due to stupid kids buying "opium" from cartel members.

Why you would be hoping for any of that?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
As I grew up, I opened my eyes and saw the real world, and I began to laugh, and I haven't stopped since

Offline kNOwONE

• Reputation Power: 2
  • kNOwONE is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 21, 2016, 01:47:13 AM
  • Harm Reduction & Safe Using
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 11:52:45 PM »
First black guy with a at white chick I asked for dope had stamps last year at a hotel by the state theater. They pointed out two trap cars in the lot, and walked by other custies going to their room. Lucked out right across from ours, but I was with a bunch of neo hippies that are okay with all drugs but opiates
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 12:15:11 AM »

Well there's already an opiate problem there, it would just be interesting if the opiate of choice was opium. Opium pipes and lanterns and all.

I think it's ridiculous that people are gullible enough to think they're getting opium in the hood. It's even better when those people adopt the "I only do opium so I'm nowhere near as bad as you people" attitude.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline thetalkingasshole

• Self-Transforming Machine Elf
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • thetalkingasshole has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 06, 2019, 06:22:48 AM
  • Always with an arm out and a leg up
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 12:37:05 AM »

I was just kidding you man
I've been publicly lamenting all over this site about the lack of heroin in Tampa
which would no doubt tear this area apart considering what pills cost
and what heroin costs, and most important, how many people get by on $20-30/day

Play on playa, play on

Well there's already an opiate problem there, it would just be interesting if the opiate of choice was opium. Opium pipes and lanterns and all.

I think it's ridiculous that people are gullible enough to think they're getting opium in the hood. It's even better when those people adopt the "I only do opium so I'm nowhere near as bad as you people" attitude.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
As I grew up, I opened my eyes and saw the real world, and I began to laugh, and I haven't stopped since

Offline _Enduser

• Reputation Power: 8
  • _Enduser is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 22, 2019, 09:36:28 AM
  • Lex Produca da Original Ableton Killa
    • My original Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »
Dawg, ASK DAK about this shit!!!!  HE was around back then no???

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions