dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: I Was Caught-Up In Winter Storm JONAS (personal stories)  (Read 7516 times)

Offline Morfy (OP)

• Free Falling Around The World
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 01:44:51 AM
  • Enjoying the stelliferous era--while it lasts
    • THE DRUGS AND USERS CHAT ROOM
I Was Caught-Up In Winter Storm JONAS (personal stories)
« on: January 25, 2016, 03:19:03 AM »
Hey everyone:

Thankfully this big bitch of a storm has missed me by a few hundred miles, but I was wondering about the experiences some of our members that ARE affected by Winter Storm JONAS !!

Even if your story is boring, let us know.  If you had to fight-off F-5 Snowrnados & schools of Ice-Piranhas, be sure to let us know about THAT as well (when its safe, don't post mid-battle, for crying out loud!).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
All matter is simply cooled and condensed energy.

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
Re: I Was Caught-Up In Winter Storm JONAS (personal stories)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 04:29:22 AM »
Good thread idea, Morphy.

I missed the storm too. It snowed here on Wednesday, Thursday, and some on Friday, but none today. Not sure if it's supposed to tomorrow.

Overall it didn't snow that much. Nowhere near as much as the east coast is getting. There's maybe a good 2 inches on the ground. Maybe three in some areas. Hardly anything.

The thing about snow in the Cincinnati / Southern Ohio area is that most people act like driving in it is horrible. Like it's a blizzard outside. It's not, and the roads are generally safe, and clear enough, to drive. The salt trucks, snow plows, and road crews are out. It's not that bad.

Still, people here overreact. It really affects their driving too. Some will drive extremely slow, which itself is a road hazard. Or people will drive too fast, follow too closely, etc. So accidents happen, therefore compounding and perpetuating the hysterical belief that driving in two inches of snow constitutes a blizzard.

Some people here wouldn't know how to survive if we actually had what the east coast is currently getting. It's sad.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:31:56 AM »
This isn't about Alex but since this is a weather thread and this NEVER happens, plus to power dorks like myself I find this really cool, this image is linked from here

http://www.intellicast.com/Global/Satellite/Infrared.aspx?location=CAXX0604

What you see in that image is low pressure core coming off the northern tip of Greenland stretching into the North Pole is the remanence of Hurricane Alex after devouring another extratropical cyclone over the Labrador Sea. Yes. A hurricane...In the North Pole.

To my knowledge this has never happened.

...Thanks Obama.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 06:41:03 AM »
my thoughts are with those either too sick to go out or those that can't get to where they have to be to avoid being sick.

I hope you have a plan B.

I wish you the very best of luck to those adversly affected with dealing with these natural disasters.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Morfy (OP)

• Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 07:21:11 AM »

Thanks for your Input everyone--interesting info about the polar hurricane--a "Polarcane"??  Jega.

I don't know how or what circumstances would lead to this, but if anyone is snowed in, and needs help, but their phones are out, yet they are able to communicate by Internet, you could pass on your request for help through us, and we can relay it to your local Fire Dept (Or PoPo, gosh forbid).

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
Shit, I had three different options for getting well lined up, like a good junkie. (Redundancy is the buzzword nowadays), and all three fell through!

First, I had 4lbs FTL Spain seeds that were supposed to be delivered yesterday by US mail (Saturday), and 25lb SN that were coming by FedEx, and another small package still that was coming via US mail. Neither the mail nor FedEx were running yesterday! Shit.

It was blowing super-fine, dusty, cold snow all day yesterday. Just like a polarnado, but down (and I mean waaay down) in Virginny. This morning, the sun is out and it's deathly cold. Maybe this sunshine will melt off some of it.

Not feeling sick yet, but I'll defo be needing that 4lb of FTL and that smaller package tomorrow, FedEx home delivery runs Tuesday through Saturday, so I'll have to wait until Tuesday to get my big seed order. Fuck.

I would have actually enjoyed being snowbound if I had had those seeds yesterday, but it was a boring, awful experience. Now? Back to beddie bye.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:58:51 AM by Zoops »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Z

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 12:27:17 PM »
I have to say that the pictures I have seen look like a normal Montreal winter.  It's actually kind of mild here lately.  We had a bit of snowfall, 2-3 inches, but that's pretty normal.  I think the difference is that we have the infrastructure in place to deal with it.

People here pay for snow clearing, and as soon as the snow starts coming down the tractors are on the roads around the clock until it is cleared.  Business as usual, eh?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline itsmainline

• Reputation Power: 2
  • itsmainline is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 12, 2019, 03:58:14 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 03:50:37 PM »
NYC was snow raped. But if you were willing to bear the blizzard business carried on. Oh btw I got a good friend to join and she'll be doing an intro soon. Ready is her handle. This is a direct irl nyc friend of mainline. Love her when she starts posting.

The cars were about 12 feet tall, snow included. 60mph winds etc
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SPARKSFLY666

• Reputation Power: 7
  • SPARKSFLY666 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 05, 2016, 08:16:57 PM
  • NO STRANGLING ON SCHOOLDAYS
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 05:07:46 PM »
Bounced outa philly (to Albany,NY) late Friday was just starting to snow. I'm headed back now, hope everyone made it through, I heard from some friends in Astoria, LIC, greenpoint, NYC got smoked. How's philly looking?? I'll go run amok when I touchdown, see if I can't find some only in philly snowstorm hood stories for ya to wrap ya brains around.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
White and blue and bloody red, Stars and Stripes for the misled...

Offline Snout

• Reputation Power: 20
  • Snout is now quite familiar.Snout is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:September 28, 2023, 09:42:59 AM
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 06:51:14 PM »
Here is a fun weTher relAted tale: during hurricane sandy, I was visiting family in NYC. They all thought I was clean, but of course I was strung out. I had brought some tar with me from seAttle, and I figured I'd get some powder while I was there, if I could get awAy from the woman and the family. I was afraid to bring any rigs with me on the flight there.
    The first night , I snuck off and got a small amount of powder, and I figured I'd be cool for the 5 day trip. But, then hurricane sandy fucked everything up. I snorted the powder til it was gone, then my return flight was cancelled and I couldn't get another flight for three more days. I was unable to get any rigs because I procrastinated and the city lost power and all the pharmacies were closed.
      So, I'm in a hotel room with the woman snout. There is no electricity, we are listening to music on her laptop and reading with a flShlight I uSUALLY travel with. I've got no rigs, no more powder, but I do have some tar. I start wondering, can you plug tar without cooking it into a liquid first? So, I go into bathroom, luckily the tar is semi hard, not thee gooey sticky mess that we see sometimes .  I took a little chunk, got my finger and swimsuit area nice and wet with saliva, and shoved it up there As far as I could.
    And, the answer is, yes, it works!

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I myself have found a real rival in myself,
I am hoping for a re-arrival of my health- wilco

Offline Morfy (OP)

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 08:38:29 PM »
Damn Snout!

That story, if padded decently, could be the modern day equivalent of Beowulf !

Point For You!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline AllNightLong

• Reputation Power: 15
  • AllNightLong is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 04, 2017, 03:34:28 PM
  • Broke but not sick
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
Here is a fun weTher relAted tale: during hurricane sandy, I was visiting family in NYC. They all thought I was clean, but of course I was strung out. I had brought some tar with me from seAttle, and I figured I'd get some powder while I was there, if I could get awAy from the woman and the family. I was afraid to bring any rigs with me on the flight there.
    The first night , I snuck off and got a small amount of powder, and I figured I'd be cool for the 5 day trip. But, then hurricane sandy fucked everything up. I snorted the powder til it was gone, then my return flight was cancelled and I couldn't get another flight for three more days. I was unable to get any rigs because I procrastinated and the city lost power and all the pharmacies were closed.
      So, I'm in a hotel room with the woman snout. There is no electricity, we are listening to music on her laptop and reading with a flShlight I uSUALLY travel with. I've got no rigs, no more powder, but I do have some tar. I start wondering, can you plug tar without cooking it into a liquid first? So, I go into bathroom, luckily the tar is semi hard, not thee gooey sticky mess that we see sometimes .  I took a little chunk, got my finger and swimsuit area nice and wet with saliva, and shoved it up there As far as I could.
    And, the answer is, yes, it works!

Nice man! For some reason I got a mental picture of your lady walking in on you and seeing you plugging the tar. Then her asking why you are trying to shove a piece of shit back into your ass. Seemed pretty comical in my mind's eye.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »
These stories, definitely make me remember how much i/we rely on electricity and a lot of other things. I needed something christmas and all of the stores were closed and it was a bitch, I can't even fathom a few days especially if I wasn't prepared. Especially pharmacies being closed or if you had any medical emergency or if that was your refill day, that could lead to some hard times. I couldn't imagine having a habit and no one being able to get it, that would be awful.

When I had a habit, i also had a new 4wd jeep commander and had to work all snow days at comcast because i was door to door sales and they thought people with dish and satellite would be getting bad reception and want to switch over which was bs. No one wants a wet d2d salesman covered in snow tracking that shit through their house to sell them cable from one of the dumbest companies in the world.

At least I could always get out and get my shit though. There was only one time when my guy was out and couldn't get it because of the snow all the other times he had a bunch because no one was able to come to him and buy any. That time I had to drive 40 miles one way to get it and it took like 3 and half hours to get there and back. I've only been here around 5 years and I haven't been here during a storm that has shut everything down yet.

Luckily we have a stellar system here in denver for my MMT clinic when it comes to snow days, they are usually very preventive and if it is supposed to snow enough to close the roads down they will give a few days of take outs. If the roads are extremely bad they have a bunch of safeguards in place, a few 4wd trucks to go pick up the nurse who dispenses they even a four wheeler and snowmobile if they roads are absolutely insane. The nurse said they picked her up on one a long time ago when they couldn't get in her neighborhood.

They will even go pick up the patients with disabilities and bring them to the clinic and take them home with their trucks, they have a van and a bus as well. I never even thought about that before I got on the clinic, luckily colorado is pretty good when it comes to getting the roads back up, as soon as it starts snowing they have tons of plows out on the streets. They also enforce chain laws and stuff like that in the mountains.

I was glad to find out that my little honda accord does pretty good in the snow probably not as good as awd cars but definitely better than most. It is front wheel drive and this last snow that was bad where everyone was getting stuck, crashing, or couldn't get up hills my car had no trouble. I even had to drive through a grass median because 3 cars were stuck at the bottom of the ramp getting on to the highway, funny enough that one was a brand new honda accord.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal