dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: this fucking guy...  (Read 13613 times)

Offline Pullmyhair.

• Reputation Power: 7
  • Pullmyhair. is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 09, 2018, 05:04:17 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Re: this fucking guy...
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 08, 2015, 12:01:45 PM »
I agree whole-heartedly that the author of the article has written a ridiculous mound of excrement.  Know what it's like to lose a child based on someone else's skewed idea of how unsafe my pain meds can be/are to my children. It's infuriating for a complete stranger (or loved one for that matter) to presume to know how I react to medicine I've been on for a decade or more.

However, I also know parents on meds and/or ORT that present a danger to their kids on a regular basis but due to case load or other factors those children have fallen through the cracks. Where is the line? Who draws it? How many kids are a tolerable sacrifice in the name of parental rights? I don't want to be policed but I know so many that are damaging innocents because they have no incentive not to. There are two sides here, but the lines are so blurry that it is inevitable  that if a viable answer isn't found we are gonna have massive casualties on both sides.

I don't pretend to know the answers. I fight regularly proving my fitness as a parent to one person or another. And I worry lots about the kids around here stuck in scary situations they don't understand. There has to be a way to protect them all. ~ Lissa

The answer is: when a parent actually fucks up, when there is an actual cause to remove children from the home, that is when you remove children from the home. I don't think drug use in and of itself is a substantial reason to remove kids (especially when the foster care system is so fucked). Yes, there are a lot of kids who slip through the cracks, but you can't take action based on the potential or likelihood of neglect or abuse (just like you can't arrest people who are statistically more likely to commit murder). Unfortunately it's one of those things where you have to wait for it to happen.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I want to live and I want to love. I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of.
-The Smiths

Offline makita

• Reputation Power: 26
  • makita is now quite familiar.makita is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:March 07, 2019, 05:50:39 PM
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 02:12:40 PM »

The answer is: when a parent actually fucks up, when there is an actual cause to remove children from the home, that is when you remove children from the home. I don't think drug use in and of itself is a substantial reason to remove kids (especially when the foster care system is so fucked).

Yes, and even CA mandated CPS reporting laws (which are by nature hypervigilant) state that drug use/addiction is not in itself cause for reporting neglect or abuse.  If it was it would destroy the entire substance use therapy community, because it would mean every single addiction counselor would have to violate confidentiality for their clients who are parents. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
something something drug war, social justice blah blah

Offline kat1lifeleft

• Reputation Power: 6
  • kat1lifeleft is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 09, 2016, 12:49:46 AM
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »
Apologies for thinking you wrote this...was in my car and kinda distracted. The rest of what I said is still valid. Again, most people on ORT are trying to stabilize their lives in order to be better parents to their children. This kind of thinking is a huge problem...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 06:18:26 PM »
I wonder where that BS article came from? For someone who owns/runs a treatment center they don't seem to know much about burenorphine which is MUCH less likely to interfere with day to day functioning.

Also, kids who find bupe aren't going to put them under their tongue They will either swallow them whole ir chew them, meaning very, very poor bioavailability.

ANd in the US, EVERY SINGLE WEEK a toddler finds their parents' gun and kills someone, usually thinking they are playing with a toy. That ain't happening with Subs or 'done I promise you.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:06:11 AM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline clinton (OP)

• Reputation Power: 8
  • clinton is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 13, 2016, 05:09:47 AM
  • Harm Reduction & Safe Using
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 06:46:40 PM »
Huffington post ..whenever I try to link it up now I get the 404 error message now...strange
The guys a real shit for brains .
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions