dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Blood Pressure and IV Drug Use  (Read 6274 times)

Offline candy (OP)

• Founders
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • candy has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 22, 2019, 03:23:09 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Blood Pressure and IV Drug Use
« on: June 22, 2016, 04:48:04 PM »
Hey all,
I am trying to find anything written in print or online that has to do with blood pressure readings and
IV drug use. Specifically what IV drug use does to the peripheral arteries, and does it have any affect on
blood pressure readings. I have looked myself and asked a few different sources in healthcare, with no luck. Thought I would try here.
You all are a wealth of knowledge and maybe it is something we need to be looking at as we age.
So...
I am having crazy readings of my blood pressure. I am on two different blood pressure medications and my blood pressure is
different from minute to minute when I take it at home or in the doctor's office. I have it taken manually and with a machine.
I am supposed to have dental work done and the dentist wanted me to stop the propranolol I am on because
of it's interaction with lidocaine.
I am not just going to stop taking the medication.
I had an EKG to check for Q-T Interval Prolongation and  torsades de pointes when I was in the ER back in May.
EKG was normal.

If anyone has any information or knows of a source of info, please post it here.
Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:33:24 PM by candy »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Harm Reduction...
Enables choices, possibilities, and opportunities without imposing change.

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
Re: Blood Pressure and IV Drug Use
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 05:32:23 PM »
candy, did a quick search and found nothing but this is what i believe:

i don't think that the action of IV'ing will directly affect your blood pressure, it what you inject/use, rather.

blood pressure goes up when you are under duress.

maybe take a few readings throughout the day, over a few days, to get an average so you know where you are with it.

i thought that you were too young to be on blood pressure medications ?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline candy (OP)

• Founders
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »
Thanks Chipper.
Yeah, there is no information really available. I was looking for information on what IV drug use may do to the peripheral arteries. I just noticed I posted the peripheral venous system. Will fix that. Meant peripheral arteries. I imagine that is confusing.
I am just so frustrated right now. You may know that I have been having a tough time with my health.
Being on methadone has been a major problem for me and is a constant obstacle in regards to medical care.

I just have been getting really crazy readings at home. Take it at home all the time. Stress is a factor, I know, and I try to take it when I am
relaxed, sitting in a chair, arm at heart level, the proper size blood pressure cuff, all the procedures for getting a good reading.
Using a machine to take it. I have a cuff and stethoscope to take it manually, but taking it yourself is not recommended. I do take it this way though when I want to get a manual pressure. 

I will leave this up and see if anything comes up. It really isn't anything anyone has studied as far as I know.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Harm Reduction...

Offline Griffin

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 06:47:31 PM »
For whatever reason when I got on done my blood pressure skyrocketed and I was prescribed bystolic. I am a somewhat healthy 25 yr old who never had a problem before I got on done and immediately after getting on it I had high blood pressure. When I was using it was fine, perfect always and now my pulse and bp is way too high always especially if I take my reading with in 6 hours of dosing. I know that isn't what your looking for but thought I'd chime in because I have wondered the same thing but about done.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Bambee49

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Bambee49 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 02, 2016, 02:56:31 PM
  • From baltimore to philly
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 07:10:31 PM »
Do you use both arms with iv? Have you ever noticed when they check you blood pressure they try to never use one that has damage? Anyways what I'm getting at is if you use the same arm every single time to shoot and then use the same arm to check your bp your not getting a accurate reading. Don't know if you have access to a cuff bp but if you do try that on ur wrist or you can even do it on your ankle if both arm are used up.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline candy (OP)

• Founders
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »
Thanks Griffin and Bambee.

I had the EKG to check for any problems associated from the methadone and was told I was doing fine.
I guess I should try and check it a few hours after I dose Griffin. Thanks for that.
It is just concerning because it is all over the place. I always wondered if injecting ever caused any problems with circulation and blood pressure readings.
@Bambee, I don't inject any longer. Haven't for quite some time. It was the crazy readings that got me thinking.
I will take it and it will be 190/100 and then I recheck it  and it is 110/75. I sit and wait between readings, feet flat on the floor, arm at heart level. Good blood pressure monitor, all the stuff I learned in nursing school and years as a nurse.

I have a manual b/p cuff and stethoscope and know how to take b/p that way. It is advised you don't take it yourself and no one at home knows how to take a manual blood pressure. You have to know how to listen to the sounds or it can be tricky.
Taking a blood pressure on any area other than the bicep is not a good idea, unless the bicep can't be used. You don't get an accurate reading.
It is best to take the blood pressure on the arm you have the highest readings on.

I would imagine that the methadone would be the more obvious culprit or years of abuse to my body with the various substances I have injected and taken.
I am not overweight, don't smoke and haven't for about 10 years, and I am pretty active(unless in pain)

Ah, Fuck! Thanks for the responses. Just wondering if anyone ever noticed any issues that were related to injecting, other than bacterial infections and associated health issues that go along with it. Hereditary factors are another issues I imagine.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Harm Reduction...

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 04:26:28 AM »
I seriously doubt that injection drug use can cause ANY damage to the peripheral arteries, but to the venous system, definitely yes, as you know already.

Are you  drinking coffee regularly? Caffeine can affect blood pressure which I'm sure you know already.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Griffin

• Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »
Yeah taking it after you dose would be a good day but they would probably use that as a way to cover fewer people for it. They did the same thing for me, perfect on the ekg and then with in a year of on methadone i gained 100lbs since i lost 45 and got on testosterone my bp has been normal but my pulse is still high, if you figure out anything let us know!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline candy (OP)

• Founders
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 12:36:05 PM »
@Zoops.
Yeah, I was reaching there with the peripheral arterial system. Venous circulation, indeed.
I don't drink coffee, just a cup of tea in the morning.

Griffin, I never really gained much weight on methadone, not this time or before that. I know many people do and that can be hard on your body and mind.
I sweat like crazy though. Nothing like being the only person in an air conditioned room that is sweating.

Off to the doctor I go again.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Harm Reduction...

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 05:25:57 AM »
it's in the midle of winter here and those bloody sweats have abated ... time to keep dropping my dose - i abhor the sweats and a few shivers means more clothes or under the covers and more heating costs.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Griffin

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 06:28:46 AM »
Yeah, I hate the sweating as well, its been in the high 90s around 100 here last week, and I was dying because we don't have ac, just a few window units. It's been getting into the low 60s and high 50s at night this week cause of the rain, my roommate thinks I am weird cause I sleep with my window open in the winter, and am sweating when its 60 degrees in the house. Surprisingly none of my roommates have found out about my methadone, even though when I moved in I had to go everyday. My last roommates knew within a month, but they were cool and I had a lock on my door as well as the lockbox so it didn't bother me.

Anxiety also messes with my bp a lot, my doctor has the cutest nurse and it seemed like for the first 6 months every time she took my bp it was sky high as well as my pulse, and then when the doc took it wouldn't be too bad. I always think about it, and my breathing when they take it which probably adds to it cause when I am calm and relaxed it's usually lower, idk about taking it yourself if your thinking about it more and having anxiety cause it's high but anxiety causes your body to be weird so I always keep that in mind.

Has anyone else had issues with their ekg from methadone, I know when I got kaiser that was the first thing they did before they'd cover it for me. Medicaid didn't doing any testing or anything, but I am assuming that it can be unsafe for people with some heart conditions if they are using ekg's to test people to get out of covering for them.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal