dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 9667 times)

Offline Opi-ette (OP)

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Opi-ette is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 05, 2021, 02:27:50 PM
  • “I can resist everything except temptation.”
Windows 10
« on: October 01, 2015, 11:59:17 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is using win10 and what do you think? Is it worth switching now or better to wait for the kinks to be worked out?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

monkawat

Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 01:37:05 AM »
Just wondering if anyone is using win10 and what do you think? Is it worth switching now or better to wait for the kinks to be worked out?

I switched to it and like it. I'm not a computer saavy person- but I do like it more than Windows 7. My wife played around on both my laptop and our little lenovo tablet/laptop hybrid thing which both have Windows 10 and didn't like it much. She still has windows 7 on her laptop but isn't a Windows person anyways- our main home computer is a desktop imac pro (the last generation not the new one that looks like an amazon echo) and we both prefer that over all the windows ones..so take our opinions with a grain of salt, ya gnome sayin?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opi-ette (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 02:20:57 AM »

I switched to it and like it. I'm not a computer saavy person- but I do like it more than Windows 7. My wife played around on both my laptop and our little lenovo tablet/laptop hybrid thing which both have Windows 10 and didn't like it much. She still has windows 7 on her laptop but isn't a Windows person anyways- our main home computer is a desktop imac pro (the last generation not the new one that looks like an amazon echo) and we both prefer that over all the windows ones..so take our opinions with a grain of salt, ya gnome sayin?

I gnome what you're saying. When I bought my current laptop it came with 8 and I absolutely loathed that summabitch so I "upgraded" to 8.1 but that was essentially the same as 8.

I really wanted 7. I hate change. Anyway, thanks for your reply Monk, much appreciated.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Morfy

• Free Falling Around The World
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 01:44:51 AM
  • Enjoying the stelliferous era--while it lasts
    • THE DRUGS AND USERS CHAT ROOM
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 03:25:43 AM »
I just got a new 2 in 1 tablet/laptop with Win 10.

I never tried or owned anything with Win 8 on it, but I like 10.

It takes a little learning curve from Win7, or XP, but so far it seems smoother and functions better than Win 7 or XP.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
All matter is simply cooled and condensed energy.

Offline Opi-ette (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 04:40:17 AM »
I just got a new 2 in 1 tablet/laptop with Win 10.

I never tried or owned anything with Win 8 on it, but I like 10.

It takes a little learning curve from Win7, or XP, but so far it seems smoother and functions better than Win 7 or XP.

Cool! Thanks Morfy!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 02:42:05 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 05:57:03 AM »
just be aware the Win 10 will continually check and apply updates that may be hard to stop unless you edit the registry.

I had this issue with Win 8 and the only way I could stop the continual downloads was by patching the registry.

so if you have limited data access on your system and notice an increase in consumption and network activity, this may be why.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 06:25:12 AM »
For Microsoft's sake (like I care) I hope that shit is better than Win8, cos it seriously sucks pretty bad in my experience. I haven't had any tech clients since about 2008, so I don't have much experience with the current state of windows in a production environment, I got out when it was still all XP and active directory.

Linux these days shouldn't be overlooked as an option for home users, the learning curve has gotten a lot better. I think it's definitely becoming a good option for a lot of reasonably proficient users who are willing to learn a little, cos the software is usually pretty damned good, especially considering the price (eg, The Gimp, Libre Office, Mplayer).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 06:33:31 AM »
Chops, what's your recommendation for desktop enabled Linux distros ?

I personally like Mint ... you ?

yeah, Linux rocks once you get the hang of it ... i carry a copy of Partitionmagic on a USB everywhere on my key-ring (2 keys, small unit) and can use it on virtually any machine, often accessing the internet, too.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:06:42 AM by Chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Taytoechip

• Above average blanket-fort builder
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Taytoechip is working their way up.Taytoechip is working their way up.Taytoechip is working their way up.
  • Last Login:August 04, 2016, 02:16:36 PM
  • magical leopluradon
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 06:55:48 AM »
windows 8 was pretty terrible . I mean not like Windows ME or anything, but still. Not good. I hated that the tile appearance set up was the same for touch screens/tablets as for mouse desktops.
 Last week i decided to give 10 a chance, and installed it on one of our desktops. I haven't used it much, but it does seem to be an improvement. Start menu again is cool. i think the mwheel scrolling aspect of the start menu is one of my fav upgrades honestly.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No one ever plans to sleep out in the gutter
Sometimes that's just the most comfortable place

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 07:06:40 AM »
Distro wise I'm an old Debian head, I'm happiest when I have apt and bash.

Actual desktop wise I'm a minimalist, currently running Gnome2, used to run BlackBox and Fluxbox and if I get sick of Gnome, I'd probably go back to fluxbox. KDE is ok sometimes but maybe a little bloated, depends on the machine. I've built some really kickass desktops with Fluxbox, but it's a bit of work and I haven't had a decent computer for awhile, the one I have now is a wicked piece of shit, barely usable..

I'm thinking I might buy a tablet next? Not sure..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline razor girl

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • razor girl is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 10, 2015, 05:42:32 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »
I wish they'd go back to XP, it's all garbage since then and I've used every "new" version since, fuck that.  I have to assume Windows 10 in no different.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
RIP Paups, Than, Chemboy, Eon, Poonwalla, Southern Belle, Dr. McKay, LA Lifer, Entropy, Antigonemuse, Catmouth, Gold 'n Diemonds, Inspektah Dek, Goagirl and all the others taken far too soon.

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 08:21:12 AM »
i'm not sure of tablets because if anything, MORE screen real estate ... nice to have one, tho'.

i have had success with Windows 8/8.1 and so have many others (I like it, myself) but my machine came with 7 and i'm quite used to it. will sit on it.

i once whacked Win 8.0 onto a Macbook Pro, needed a CPU-related patch because it froze up randomly and quickly, but it ran quite well.

XP takes the prize for the longest running commercial O/S for minis and micro. Like 10+ years of service ... go to admit, that's not bad.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 08:24:27 AM »
i'm not sure of tablets because if anything, MORE screen real estate ... nice to have one, tho'.

i have had success with Windows 8/8.1 and so have many others (I like it, myself) but my machine came with 7 and i'm quite used to it. will sit on it.

i once whacked Win 8.0 onto a Macbook Pro, needed a CPU-related patch because it froze up randomly and quickly, but it ran quite well.

XP takes the prize for the longest running commercial O/S for minis and micro. Like 10+ years of service ... go to admit, that's not bad.

windows NT 5.1 aka XP is stable, well patched, and has an easy interface. Windows really hit it's stride then.

I'm still sitting NT 6.1 aka Windows 7 machine too. I see no reason to change it.

Windows 10 will also be the last Windows. I don't know what Microsoft plans to do after; I'm not sure they know. But they have confirmed there will be no follow on windows version after 10.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Morfy

• Free Falling Around The World
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 01:44:51 AM
  • Enjoying the stelliferous era--while it lasts
    • THE DRUGS AND USERS CHAT ROOM
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 10:39:44 AM »
Do you think its a PR stunt of sorts?

Like maybe the next MS OS will be something called: "Panels?"

Or maybe something more gimmicky, with more crowd appeal (lots of marketing): Tiles, Shingles, Mirrors, Screens, Frames....

In fact, I think it will be Panels 1.0

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:41:39 AM by Morfy »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
All matter is simply cooled and condensed energy.

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »
I don't think Windows 10 is all that different from Windows 7.  The only major change I can see is the appearance.  It's like they took the old interface windows / options and clothed them in a new look. 

For instance, instead of going to the old control panel, you know have that settings box.  But if you want, you can still go to the Windows 7 control panel.  Pretty much the same with other settings. 

The other major difference I think is the addition of OneDrive and Cortana, neither of which I've used or set up. 

I did have one problem a few weeks ago, where upon startup, the task bar and start menu would freeze.  Those only worked once you pushed the power button and forced the system to shut down.  Upon restart it was normal. 

I look it up on various computer forum and sites, and lots of other people have had, or were having, that problem.  The consensus seemed to be that it was caused by a Windows Update being installed.  A week or so later, the next Windows Update fixed it.  So no more of that shit happening. 

I think there are still kinks that will inevitably be worked out.  But IMO, that type of thing wouldn't happen with Apple products.  If I had the money, I'd go back to an Apple MacBook or MacBook Pro.  I liked my old Powerbook. 

And when did programs turn into apps?  I understand that smartphones use apps, but Windows 10 lists everything as apps.  No more programs.  I thought that was odd. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal