dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Anyone else see Holly Holms' take down of Ronda Rousey?  (Read 6227 times)

Offline skramamme (OP)

• Reputation Power: 9
  • skramamme is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 12:28:14 PM
  • Our Community Board
Anyone else see Holly Holms' take down of Ronda Rousey?
« on: November 20, 2015, 12:24:34 AM »
I'm not exactly a violent chick (well, I am internally, I just don't have the physical prowess or access to firearms to ever put my messy thoughts into action) but wow, that was just a masterful fight.

I generally don't like boxing when it goes on for too long as I start feeling so bad for the guy getting pummeled but UFC/MMA matches are usually over so fast that I can enjoy them without feeling too much empathy for the loser   ;)

Plus it's kinda nice to see a massive ego deflated a little bit (Ronda is a major trash talker and didn't even touch gloves).

Sorry for the shitty quality but holy FUCK @5.54 Holly seems to use a goddamn transporter to instantaneously move from one side of the cage to the other.

I feel bad but I was fucking shouting "yeah!" when that final kick and pummel of punches came.

Yes, I may be a bad person for enjoying this immensely but hey, I wanna go back to the gym now so it can't be all bad, right?

highlights

Keep in mound the winner is 34 years old.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Of all the things I value most in life
I see my memories and feel their warmth
And know that they are good,
You know that I should

Offline neighbor

• marquis de nod
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • neighbor has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:September 10, 2016, 05:45:42 PM
  • carpet diem
Re: Anyone else see Holly Holms' take down of Ronda Rousey?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 01:37:33 AM »
my problem with women's fighting is that its too much about their looks as opposed to their skills

and people will always want to see the best against the best. with women, it tends to be about best looks moreso
than best skills

with men, you dont have this problem. you can achieve millions even if you look like a fucking gremlin

and men still have an extremely difficult time making a career out of it. the vast majority dont.

I feel for the women  who spend each day training, hoping for a career and serious $$$.

cause unless you are attractive, able to handle media, and one of the best in the world, itll be a sad ending.

Ronda is that extremely rare example of a woman who has all of that. and Im glad she lost. I really like her and she needed some humility.

but I still cant help but feel as though women in combat sports is a negative enterprise in the long run. too negative for too many women, and the same is likely true for the men. just not as bad.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I do not thus betray my enjoyments to the vulgar"

Offline skramamme (OP)

• Our Community Board
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 02:33:04 AM »
my problem with women's fighting is that its too much about their looks as opposed to their skills

and people will always want to see the best against the best. with women, it tends to be about best looks moreso
than best skills

with men, you dont have this problem. you can achieve millions even if you look like a fucking gremlin

and men still have an extremely difficult time making a career out of it. the vast majority dont.

I feel for the women  who spend each day training, hoping for a career and serious $$$.

cause unless you are attractive, able to handle media, and one of the best in the world, itll be a sad ending.

Ronda is that extremely rare example of a woman who has all of that. and Im glad she lost. I really like her and she needed some humility.

but I still cant help but feel as though women in combat sports is a negative enterprise in the long run. too negative for too many women, and the same is likely true for the men. just not as bad.

I agree with all you've said, but unfortunately women's worth in sport, music, the arts... pretty much anything really, is heavily influenced by looks.
Are the UFC exploiting Rousey's girl next door looks for greater publicity? Absolutely.
But she and Holly are real athletes (Holly is a multi title holding boxer).
Unfortunately western media likes to focus on the packaging over the ability 9 times out of 10, but I still think the fights are pretty awesome.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You know that I should

Offline Elevated

• Reputation Power: 4
  • Elevated is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 26, 2016, 11:16:17 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »
Yeah!  It was a great fight, it was awesome to see Rousey get beaten!  And boy did she get beaten... apparently she got sent to the hospital with her lip split and a concussion.  Good stuff... especially after how she acted at weigh in.  Holly deserved the win.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 11:50:33 PM »

I hear this but I think a lot of it might be that many women's sports just aren't advertised that well, and in this case popular opinion also favors some real talent.

Ever heard of Carina Moreno? She's a champ, no doubt, but it's not cos of looks (altho I gotta say in person I didn't find her unattractive) and I think she's been talking about MMA recently. She's pretty small tho, I've met her -- shook her hand one day and told her she's a great fighter. Her family runs a couple taquerias in Santa Cruz (best salsa in SC).

I think a lot is about exposure. Personally I enjoy watching smaller people fight - they tend to be quicker and there's more action. IDK the turnout of this particular fight, but here's a clip of Carina a few years ago. Meeting her in person I swear you'd never guess she was so fast, she's so meek IRL it's remarkable. She's a true champ tho.. (and I agree, Rousey needed an ego check, but I think she's a champ too and that she'll be back).

Carina is in white.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:53:18 PM by Opus »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline skramamme (OP)

• Our Community Board
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 04:50:23 AM »

I hear this but I think a lot of it might be that many women's sports just aren't advertised that well, and in this case popular opinion also favors some real talent.

Ever heard of Carina Moreno? She's a champ, no doubt, but it's not cos of looks (altho I gotta say in person I didn't find her unattractive) and I think she's been talking about MMA recently. She's pretty small tho, I've met her -- shook her hand one day and told her she's a great fighter. Her family runs a couple taquerias in Santa Cruz (best salsa in SC).

I think a lot is about exposure. Personally I enjoy watching smaller people fight - they tend to be quicker and there's more action. IDK the turnout of this particular fight, but here's a clip of Carina a few years ago. Meeting her in person I swear you'd never guess she was so fast, she's so meek IRL it's remarkable. She's a true champ tho.. (and I agree, Rousey needed an ego check, but I think she's a champ too and that she'll be back).

Carina is in white.

Thanks for sharing, very cool. And yeah, Roussey is absolutely an amazing athlete, but her arrogance was a bit much imho (but us Australians are not ones for self promotion/having a big head).

I also dig the fact that there are women in their mid-late 30's in these sports.

Oh, and I went back to my old gym today but would like to also try some muay thai kickboxing or some sort of martial art too (even boxing). So I signed up and will start training again... hopefully I can get back into heavy lifting- deadlifting is me best lift, I love it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You know that I should

Queenofdenial

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 01:44:39 AM »
LOVE Holly Holmes!!! She is our hometown girl!!! I know her and she is sweet, smart and an all around good person.

Congratulation HOLLY!!!

Q.o.D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal