dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Car guys, check this out  (Read 10553 times)

Offline Guts (OP)

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
Car guys, check this out
« on: December 09, 2015, 09:01:36 PM »
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:05:46 PM by Guts »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline sprawlnod

• Reputation Power: 3
  • sprawlnod is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 30, 2018, 10:35:41 AM
  • Kuffed
Re: Car guys, check this out
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
Damn that's a lot of HP!  Not too long ago and people were all excited about the Veyron's 1200 hp.

Engine builders have made massive strides in horsepower over the past few years.  400 used to be a lot for a road car - now you can pick up a car with 400 hp at most dealerships.  I can't even imagine 4500, though.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline jerzdoper

• Reputation Power: 2
  • jerzdoper is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 15, 2015, 01:59:55 PM
  • Harm Reduction & Safe Using
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
With a claimed top speed of 347mph?!?! Fuck me thats fast. Wonder what the "sit-back" button is like in that thing??

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Thoms

• "Is a sex God"
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Thoms is now quite familiar.Thoms is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 27, 2018, 01:32:26 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 11:25:39 PM »
That bastard has to have ridiculous gearing for a top speed like that not to mention a c.a. Of drag next to nothing. The physics that go into a top speed like that are crazy. Even a motorcycle at above 150-160 (approx) is spinning the rear wheel about 10% faster that the actual speed of the bike due to drag overpowering traction. It's obvious contact patch comes into play here though.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Fear and self loathing in thoms.

Offline Guts (OP)

• Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that the car will have a 4 speed auto tranny. Not too many transmissions that can handle that kinda power....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline duck

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • duck is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 12, 2016, 10:36:48 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »
Yeah once everyone releaized the potential of boosted LS(x) motors, the game was basically flipped on its head.  Shit is ridiculously powerful and fast these days. As mentioned above, even just 10 years ago power and quarter mile hour times were way different.  A 10 second car was extremely rare.  Now stock cars under 100k go 10 seconds.

Ever since getting invloved with sport bikes I have lost almost all interest in sports cars, primarily because for $5,000 I can have a bike that easily goes 10 seconds and faster.  Not to mention way more fun IMO.  I still think good handing cars are very fun and interesting, but straight line fast doesnt really interest me in cars anymore. 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 02:54:46 PM »
I still think good handing cars are very fun and interesting, but straight line fast doesnt really interest me in cars anymore.

Straight lines aren't the only place where cars > bikes ;)

Why didn't they ever mention the diff in that car? With that kind of power, these things matter! That article wasn't written for gear heads.. I still don't know if it's 2 or 4wd. Although they claim 1.8s to 60, that'd be tough for 2wd.

I'm not really into the idea of a 350mph car either; quad turbo 16cyl just sounds like a lot of expensive shit to break to me (simplicity and lightweight are what impress me); but cars have many advantages over bikes both on high-speed applications (better C/D especially in relation to power potential, more stability simply by design, way more pilot comfort), and also on hard cornering (MUCH lower roll-center in a typical car, greater relative tire contact).

Cars will always own most track records, even non-aero assisted cars and sometimes karts (typically 250cc+) frequently hold track records over the bikes. Bikes simply can't do lateral Gs like cars can.

I do love what they can do, especially considering how cheap the performance is; but really it's "apples to oranges" trying to compare the two..

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline Guts (OP)

• Our Community Board
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 04:09:36 PM »
The price is supposed to be 1 million dollars (doesn't seem like a horrible value compared to other cars in that price range).... the car isn't made for gear heads, it's made for rich douche bags with small penises. Which Bugatti owner drives their car at 200+ mph speeds? The production version maybe different but the prototype is super ugly. Awesome engineering though...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 6-mam

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • 6-mam has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:August 12, 2017, 02:00:13 PM
  • The tea is verrrrry good.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 11:47:49 PM »
Isn't that car made in the UAE?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:52:11 PM by 6-mam »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts (OP)

• Our Community Board
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 12:24:06 AM »
The people paying for it are in the UAE.

Road and Track went to go talk to the company that built the engine. They go into a bit more detail and have some cool pics. The crank shaft that thing uses is a monster! Here's a link:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a27580/devel-sixteen-5000-hp-quad-turbo-v16-steve-morris-engines/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline hanna

• Reputation Power: 4
  • hanna is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 01, 2021, 12:48:57 PM
  • Still trying the educate the illiterate among us
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 05:55:48 AM »
Porsche 917/30 could crank out >1500hp from a 5.4l flat 12 in 1973. Perhaps it was capable of even more but was limited for reliability purposes. I read there was a boost knob in the cockpit to dial in as much hp as you thought necessary. Admittedly only 300hp/l but the 917/30 was said to be the fastest race car ever made.

Then 1980 era F1 1.5l turbo engines would produce 1000hp in race trim and the qualifying engines were said to be as much as 12-1300hp but were only good for a couple laps. so, >600hp/l.

Point is, the tech to produce 500hp/l has been around since the 80's. It was just a matter of time someone built a >10l motor with 500hp/l.

As for tranny, they will likely use same tranny as in top fuelers which I gather slips like mad as dropping 5000hp onto any drivertrain all at once will detonate it.

My brother in law was a top fuel FC pilot/owner in the past and we were close as I had lots of time off to do some of the circuit with his team. I love this stuff still
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:59:32 AM by hanna »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Good lord, I can't wait to retire.

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 02:46:19 PM »
Porsche 917/30 could crank out >1500hp from a 5.4l flat 12 in 1973. Perhaps it was capable of even more but was limited for reliability purposes. I read there was a boost knob in the cockpit to dial in as much hp as you thought necessary. Admittedly only 300hp/l but the 917/30 was said to be the fastest race car ever made.

Wow, she plugs both McLaren AND 917s in the same post?

Rumours claim the 917 was hitting 240 on The Mulsanne, in 1970 :D (and Ferrari got pwnd, which is what counts) ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline MoeMentim

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • MoeMentim is now quite familiar.MoeMentim is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 03:56:24 PM »
  I prefer more of a rush.  Total potency (hp) is nice of course, but I'm in it for the perceived experience.  Mess around with cars all you want, but take it from me, once you start "motorcycling" you will never be able to go back.  You'll be chasing that rush all your life. 

Launching a bike efficiently is hard as shit, but once you get your rear tire a solid register & push that plunger look the fuck out.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts (OP)

• Our Community Board
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »
Now only if she plays video games  ;D

Imagine the sound of that flat 12...

I'm not discounting what you said Hanna but, still, I think this V16 is a pretty awesome engine in its own right.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
Moementum I hear you man, I do. I'm a bike nut too and I really want a street bike. (I want a... wait for it, I want a rotary powered bike, boosted, with modern suspension). Not Norton - custom motor into... something.

But the problems with bikes are kinda many: they're dirtier aerodynamically; by design they simply can't have a superior camber curve -- so they're simply incapable of pulling the same lateral Gs by physics alone (this compared to a typical racing-auto, double-a-arm setup, but MPS will do too); relative tire patch is size/weight/power limited on bikes and also the same with motors, tho that may not be to the same degree these days with current EFI/fuel/turbo tech but still, the bikes are impressive but try a heavy launch on a 4wd hoosier driven Mitsu Evo someday, pushes the air out of your lungs.

Fast cars aren't nearly as slow as a lot of bike ppl think they are. This is why most track records are held by 4 wheel vehicles, often go-karts :)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:38:19 PM by Opus »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal