dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: STD's  (Read 12444 times)

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
STD's
« on: January 03, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »
Can you find out if you have a std by taking a urine test? Also what goes into testing to see if you have std? Is it a lot like drug testing that they can tell what you have in your system by metabolites or something that could be easily identified quickly?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Der Alte Krieger

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Der Alte Krieger is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 29, 2020, 03:38:00 AM
Re: STD's
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:09:15 PM »
Chlamydia and gonorrhea can be tested with a urine sample but HIV they test with a blood draw.

More info here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sexually-transmitted-diseases-stds/in-depth/std-testing/ART-20046019

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 03:47:15 AM »
Can you find out if you have a std by taking a urine test? Also what goes into testing to see if you have std? Is it a lot like drug testing that they can tell what you have in your system by metabolites or something that could be easily identified quickly?

If you have insurance, just got to a family doctor. I promise having your dick handled by a doctor isn't as awkward as you would think at all. I've had to go get checked and everythinget was super professional. I had the visual inspection and blood work done.
The blood work almost made me lose my shit. As odd as it sounds I have an INTENSE phobia of having my blood drawn and TAKEN away from me. It's just the taking it from me part that gets to me. I'm an IV user and can draw my own blood, and give plasma even, but someone else taking it fromme, freaks me out and makes me go into the limp noodle zone.

If no ins. Go to the health department, it's not bad either. Just slower.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline robojunkie

• Mad Chemist
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • robojunkie is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 08, 2019, 07:02:32 AM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:30:57 AM »
It depends on what STD one is referring to.  From my experience and that of people I know the most common way that gonorhea (the clap) and chlamydia are tested for is, well, they shove a long ass Q-tip up your peepee hole and run a culture on it.  HIV can be tested for with OTC mouth swabs now but the definitive confirmatory test is still the blood test afaik (Western blot, then actual viral load).  HBV is a blood test, HCV (while not really an STD but obviously relevant here) is also blood test.  I have no idea about syphilus, I think its a blood test but not 100% sure, and obviously shit like herpes, G-dubs and crabs and such is simple visual inspection.  The bacterials, like gonorhea, chlamydia and syphilus are curable with antibiotics, the virals vary, HPV which is the genital warts one (some strains, like 4 out of over a 100 can lead to cervical/penile cancer (yes guys that exists, sorry) but most do nothing or cause the warts.  Usually they flare up once and if don't come back for two years that's medical standard for self-cured.  There is no other real treatment to get rid of them besides plucking them off and LN2.  Herpes, same thing, incurable but flare ups supposedly lessen in frequency and intensity and antivirals can knock that down.  HIV is of course right now incapable of being cleared from the body to its ability to encode its DNA (it splices its own into ours in the cell it infects) and hide from all the ARVs and PIs.  Until a patient unique genetically engineered virus is created with stop codons and such to destroy the cell on reaction with the artificial virus that would recognize an infected genome AIDS will never be cured.  But I believe that technology could be done not far off, I'd love to try if I had millions of dollars to do it.  And HCV of course is curable up to 99%.  HBV is an acute infection it will resolve itself and if serious can kill but it has a vaccine that I think most people have had.  And crabs and that type of shit isn't really an infection its an infestation and there are a multitude of pesticide creams that kill those little fuckers.  I think I've covered them all, and any nurses/doctors wanna verify/correct any possible errors go for it, I'm not the expert on this stuff, but I'm pretty sure of what I just said.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I see from quarks to quasars...

Offline corlene

• Reputation Power: 12
  • corlene is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 30, 2016, 08:32:51 AM
  • I alternate morphine and dilaudid in my PCA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:36:14 AM »
Can confirm about the long qtip. No bueno.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline dizzle

• that nizzle
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:February 15, 2019, 02:40:50 AM
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »
Can confirm about the long qtip. No bueno.

Seconded!!!! No Bueno INDEED
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 05:17:25 PM »
I've been tested for chlamydia twice and only had the very tip of my urethra swabbed, not shoved in, goodness no!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Illadelph215

• Whiskey bent and hellbound
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 28, 2022, 06:21:24 PM
  • Our Community
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 06:38:53 PM »
Ahhh they got me as well with the ol q-tip swab, shit isn't fun. It did get my ass to start carrying condoms though. Taking blood I'm cool with but an old man putting something into my willy I am not. Gotta pay the piper if you want to be a savage I guess.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
There is no future, there is no past. In the present, nothing lasts.

Offline Dhedmo

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Dhedmo is working their way up.Dhedmo is working their way up.Dhedmo is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 07, 2019, 02:55:15 PM
  • Be the flame, not the moth --Giacomo Casanova
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »
I'm bitin my knuckle and squirmin just thinkin of that fuckin q-tip
Only thing I ever caught was non-gonococcal urethritis (NGU), a uti for which I was swabbed.
Treated by a gynecologist who actually had me put my manly feet in the stirrups

You lucky gals get posters on the ceiling in your doctors' offices, I discovered that day.

*shivers*

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline duck

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • duck is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 12, 2016, 10:36:48 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 11:03:22 AM »
Only STD tests I've had have been urine. I didn't think they tested with the q tip method anymore?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »
Ive been tested twice both by blood sample. I wanted to create a device thats an instant at home std tester. You take someone home give them the old diabetes skin pop on the finger or pee in a cup and 3 minutes later you know if that person is clean of stds for all the safe care free exercise you would like to do.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Illadelph215

• SA_Chat+
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Our Community
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »
Ive been tested twice both by blood sample. I wanted to create a device thats an instant at home std tester. You take someone home give them the old diabetes skin pop on the finger or pee in a cup and 3 minutes later you know if that person is clean of stds for all the safe care free exercise you would like to do.
Hey ah let me get in on this grand idea of yours if it's not already available. Only thing I can think of without doing research is that maybe it's too expensive? Doesn't seem right though. That would make a killing considering how embarrassing it is going to get one done.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:26:51 PM »
Aren't there different unique strains of certain STDs that would make at home testing unfeasible? Correct me if I'm wrong.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SapphireBlue

• Healthcare Pro
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • SapphireBlue is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 19, 2021, 03:59:47 PM
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »
I'm bitin my knuckle and squirmin just thinkin of that fuckin q-tip
Only thing I ever caught was non-gonococcal urethritis (NGU), a uti for which I was swabbed.
Treated by a gynecologist who actually had me put my manly feet in the stirrups

You lucky gals get posters on the ceiling in your doctors' offices, I discovered that day.

*shivers*

El. Oh. El.!!  I was cracking up imagining a man with feet in the stirrups!  She must have gotten some perverse kind of pleasure from making you do that, bc I honestly cannot think of any reason why you'd NEED to!

Yes, we do still do STD testing w/swabs.  I've seen quite a few people already for STD testing since I started my new job last month.  I work in a clinic that treats a lot of homeless/uninsured, so we get lots of people who have no insurance but want to be tested.

Urine testing can be done for chlamydia and gonorrhea, but I would think the swab test is cheaper (don't know for sure tho).  If there's a lesion, usually we can swab that.  Syphilis is a blood test - RJ you win the prize!  ;)

Herpes is harder. Type 1 usually causes oral herpes (cold sores) and type 2 genital herpes, but you can have type 1 in the genital area and type 2 on your mouth.  A swab for viral culture is good if there's a lesion, but if it's not the first outbreak, the chances of a false negative can be high.  Blood testing can done, but it can be harder to interpret and most of the population has been exposed to type 1, so if you end up with genital type 1 it can be hard to determine WHEN you actually contracted the disease.

I spent quite a bit of time counseling a guy last week that had NO symptoms about blood testing for herpes and how it was more or less a waste of money (IMO), but he had found out his long term gf cheated on him and was totally freaked out.  He was tested for everything else at another office, but they didn't offer herpes blood testing so he came to us specifically for that.  And he still wanted it done, even after I told him if he didn't have any lesions by now, it was highly unlikely he had it.

So here's the lowdown on herpes blood testing in a nutshell.  There are 2 kinds of antibodies that are made when you get an infection: IgG and IgM.  IgM goes up right after exposure, and then it drops, eventually becoming undetectable after a few months, give or take.  Testing for this one isn't reliable for more than one reason, mostly bc the rate of false positives can be high.  IgG on the other hand, rises much more slowly, but it never goes away, so herpes IgG is the most common blood test used for herpes testing.  But the drawback to this one is, the length of time it takes for it to reach detectable levels is very variable from person to person, so for the most accurate results you should wait at least 12-16 weeks after the last possible exposure time before you have it done.

I hope this helps!  May be more than you wanted to know, but IMO knowledge is power, so I figured I'd share.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Illadelph215

• SA_Chat+
  • Our Community
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 12:59:05 AM »
Boom!! Thanks for the info SapphireBlue!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal