dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Best bike for under 2k?  (Read 10047 times)

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Re: Best bike for under 2k?
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 01, 2016, 07:54:33 PM »
FWIW, When I saw the title of this thread I thought the OP was trying to find a good BICYCLE for under $2000 'cause a good touring bicycle can cost twice that now, new.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts (OP)

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 08:03:38 PM »
I'll reply more in depth in a little bit but I live in Houston, TX.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts (OP)

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »
The more I look into this... the more I feel like this is not going to be a cheap alternative. At least not cheap *and* cool :(  Or not as cheap as I'd thought... I can easily see a 2k (which has already turned into a 3k bike lol)  bike turning into a 4k bike with a helmet and lessons and a jacket and all that... not even considering carrying insurance on 2 things. And if I'm spending 4k, I think that will get the old bimmer pretty stout... at least mechanically... she'll always have a beauty mark or two.

I dunno what to do... it seems to boil down to if I really want the lifestyle or not... which would be quite cool... realtor on a bike? Tell me that's not marketinag... law hawk style.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Esoteric Anhydride

• I <3 Mods
  • Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Esoteric Anhydride has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:October 14, 2019, 06:26:54 AM
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 12:34:04 AM »
2G will get you a mono-shock (later model) dirtbike, and a helmet, and that's about it.

It will also get you a very fast, clapped out death trap. When Bryan and I bought the Husky 610 ($1500), dude even took the Scotts steering damper off it - seriously. And then we went and bought a cheap helmet, high-quality lock and a jacket for another like 400.

You're gonna need it inspected for chain & sprocket wear and alignment. A good mechanic will check for compression and leakdown in the cylinder.

Bikes ain't cheap dude. Seriously, buy a dirt bike and spend a year ripping around the fire roads and climbing hills. Then save some money and start learning about what you want.

I had a friend that had no bike experience and bought himself a CBR600. And he liked to drink a lot and eat so he brewed his own beer and had a lot of parties and lots of food.

He took my advice and went to Sonoma and took some track classes, and got good enough to see just how much skill it takes to be really slow on a track and how fast race tires wear out, but he bought some gear and learned a few things. So he got a good job and got married and bought a house; so between the beer and the good food. So within about 2 years a 15yo on a BMX bike was faster than him on his 05CBR60RR cos by this point he was like 250lbs, riding a fucking 600 with about a year of skill and drunk everyday.

He decided he didn't want to be my friend anymore (after 10 years), cos of some girl shit and he was too much of a pussy to talk about what's on his mind. So anyway, long story short, get something you'll grow into. Buying a clapped out beater really isn't a good idea, bikes depreciate FAST, they ain't cheap by a longshot. For all you know it's really cheap for a reason. There's very little room for error on a bike.

Check out a DRZ400 or a Husqvrna SM510, If you've never ridden a dirt bike, you don't need more than one cylinder.

So I'll shut up now, and I don't mean to preach; but seriously, learn to ride, take classes, get some hours in, then you'll know what you want.

cheers bro, and be safe

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:55:28 AM by Esoteric Anhydride »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anti-hero

• Next Level Idiot
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Anti-hero is working their way up.Anti-hero is working their way up.Anti-hero is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 10, 2019, 04:20:41 AM
  • Can't get high or you will die or you'll die
    • Head don't give a shit
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 04:58:25 AM »
Just like opus said
TIRES
the changes that they can
Go through a high speeds
Found this out in a car though
Once you get to around 120 mph
The shape of them are completely
Different

I have had a few bikes
A FLH that was as easy to ride as a
Scooter
But don't dump it unless
Ya got 4 guys to help yo right it
Me and HeAd use to cruze that thing all over

A sportster that just made me want a FL all the time

And a ninja
Sweet but also a death wish
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Scared to death
No reason why
Do one another
To get me by
Think about the things I said
Read the page it's cold and dead

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal