dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Indiana company’s device may be breakthrough in treating opioid addiction  (Read 7331 times)

Offline theSWPK (OP)

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
http://cbs4indy.com/2016/07/14/there-could-be-a-new-solution-for-opioid-addicts/

Opioid addiction is cruel in many ways. But the worst part may be the way addicts have to get clean: they have to endure tremendous physical pain for several days before treatment can actually start.

“The fear,” says state Sen. Jim Merritt, “is the pain and the thought is, ‘Can I actually do this?’"

A company called Innovative Health Solutions may have the answer to help people shed their opioid addiction. The company's new device, "the Bridge," is essentially a pain blocker that sends an electrical pulse to nerves at the base of the brain. That signal reduces or eliminates the pain of withdrawal.

“It’s kind of like a runner's high,” says CEO Gary Peterson. “If you’ve ever run, you get that feeling, kind of the endorphin rush. You feel calm; you have a warm feeling that comes over you.  There’s very little anxiety. That’s what it feels like for most people, initially.”

But to be effective, the device has to be used as part of a total treatment protocol.  That protocol is being tested right now in Union County, Ind.

“The patient comes to the Union County Health Clinic run by Jeff Matthews and Alvin Day,” says Brian Carrico. “They have an insurance navigator that helps the patient get insurance. They get the Bridge device that helps them get through the detox, very comfortably.  Day five, they come back, patients get a vivitrol shot and they get counseling in the same location. It’s a one-stop shop.”

Seven other Indiana counties are using the Bridge as well.  The makers would like to take it nationwide.

“Can you say to someone who is addicted to opioids that this is truly going to help them?” asked CBS4’s Debby Knox.

“Absolutely,” said Carrico. “There’s no question.”

The device costs close to $500 in Union County and is manufactured and distributed by a Jeffersonville, Ind., company.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline Raine

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Raine is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 04, 2022, 04:07:02 AM
  • Do no harm but take no shit
"The device costs close to $500."

So you'd be purchasing the device yourself? As opposed to going to a rehab that has the devices and uses them on you as a patient there?  I'm not sure I understand what this actually is and how it'd be done but it sounds intriguing.

Does anyone know more about it or have any personal experience?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lolleedee

• La Dee Da Dee Da!
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Lolleedee is now quite familiar.Lolleedee is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 04, 2021, 04:52:15 PM
I was initially intriqued until it said "AND THEN THEY GET A VIVITROL SHOT"..After that, I was basically like fuck it! The device sounds like it may sooth the physical withdrawal to an extent, but after that it is the same bullshit, Vivitrol and counseling.

I am not opposed to counseling. On the contrary, I think therapy is awesome.  Not just in the context of drug addiction, but just for life in general.  I find it cathartic and love getting an outsiders perspective on issues I have.

I AM opposed to Vivitrol.  I have NEVER known it to not make people want to kill themselves.  Has this drug worked for anyone?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
...Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For you are crunchy and good with ketchup...

Offline dizzle

• that nizzle
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:February 15, 2019, 02:40:50 AM
the thing that stands out most to me is the fact that they kept mentioning the counties that use it? Why is it only in specific COUNTIES that's weird. Usually when they talk about rolling things out in particular cou ties that has something to do with courts or legal system as seperste counties handle their own cases differently.

If this is some type of "get this contraption put on your brain stem for 5 days then come back and get a vivitrol shot or go to jail" thing I'm not going to be surprised.

I have a feeling what's gonna happen really soon is the rehab system is going to be intertwined with the legal system and it'll be some horrible forced rehab (that is run by the brother in law of the judge) or jail. It'll start with that. Then it'll end up with forced vivitrol injections then for people that fail with that it'll be removal of the mu receptors altogether

I'm. Obv being dramatic here but indomt trust our justice system. To do rehab. Hell I don't trust our legal system for anything. They fuck up everything they do just so they can exploit it and maximize profits. I hate it

Oh and that CEO has his head up his ads. They've proven a "runners high" is NOT an endorphin rush. So he's a dumbass. Also in highly doubt this contraption can eliminate the physical symptoms that come with W/D. I mean maybe it'll work for Suzy the soccer mom that takes too many Percocet but I doubt it'll do duck for a hardcore junky
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline dizzle

• that nizzle
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:February 15, 2019, 02:40:50 AM
Oh wait I'm retarded I didn't read it clearly enough its county hospitals not jail or courts. Please disregard rant
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK (OP)

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
Lol Dizzle that's some dystopian shit.
Sadly court ordered vivitrol exists. Can't ou fight that w a Dr's note?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline Güey

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Güey is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 01, 2019, 09:12:16 AM
Hmm, sounds interesting... I don't know about youse guys, but me, I've been through WD so many times, I don't sweat it to much. I'm certainly no tough guy, either.

I guess what I'm saying is, is that as a junky I live in fear of withdrawal. I make it through it okay, but I can't STAY clean...

I should a never got off of MMT sigh :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
¡No mames!

Offline Mimi

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Mimi is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 13, 2019, 12:55:31 PM
  • C'est la vie......
After watching the little video in Innovative Health Solutions website, it seems like the
more sensible use of this thing would be to just attach it
and leave it in place, instead of starting the torture on the 5th day......

As was previously stated, the difficulty isn't getting clean, it's staying that way.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline adamn1t

• Reputation Power: 4
  • adamn1t is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 02, 2019, 09:31:16 AM
  • Fuck it
I've been through WD so many times, I don't sweat it to much. I'm certainly no tough guy, either.

I guess what I'm saying is, is that as a junky I live in fear of withdrawal. I make it through it okay, but I can't STAY clean...

This right here. My thoughts exactly.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Dog Food

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Dog Food is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 30, 2021, 02:49:57 AM
  • Our Community
Fuck vivitrol.  Id be worried more about that shit completely blocking my natural opiates/ endorphines.  The shit our brains release from things like sex/ payday/ or exercise.  To not even get a lil good feeling from going to lift weights or like a 'runners high' would suck big time. I know i feel a lil high when i go lift weights, and feel pretty good for a hour or two at least after im done lifting.

Id be afraid that the constant antagonist would almost make me unemotional to a point, never able to feel good from anything i did. Not sure if it even does work on naturally occurring opiates, but i dont wanna be one to find out.

Maybe 5 years ago, i had two friends that had the implant at the same time.  Well they had the bright idea to try and use while on it, and hopefully be able to "break through" the naltrexone.  I was told that after using for a couple days, they got themselves back into it after more than 2-3 days in a row. I was told that they were getting sick without it, and having to use large amounts just to feel normal, not even getting high from it since the vivitrol was still blocking their high.

I never personally experienced it, just what i was told years ago.  I can believe it tho, as whenever i took subs, and maybe took 8mgs a lil too soon and went into precipitated withdrawal, i would shoot 2-3 times my normal max dose and feel better. (It got me out of precipitated withdrawal, and i felt normal, not sick but not really high. Maybe a lil higher than just baseline from a shot that shouldve killed me 2-3x over
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Güey

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Güey is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 01, 2019, 09:12:16 AM

I never personally experienced it, just what i was told years ago.  I can believe it tho, as whenever i took subs, and maybe took 8mgs a lil too soon and went into precipitated withdrawal, i would shoot 2-3 times my normal max dose and feel better. (It got me out of precipitated withdrawal, and i felt normal, not sick but not really high. Maybe a lil higher than just baseline from a shot that shouldve killed me 2-3x over

Been there, done that. Ugh... Definitely one of the worst experiences of my life.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
¡No mames!

Z

All of these companies with their implants, nerve blocks, and magical pixie dust.  They are just cashing in on misery and desperation.  They seem to be as much about enforcing legal compliance as actually helping somebody quit.

You can see it right here with our experiences.  You either want to quit or you dont.  No amount of forced abstinence tools will keep an addict away from doing what they want to do at the end of the day.

Its pretty representative of our health system in the west.  A pill for everything and money to be made on all of them.  Patients as case files to apply the formula to.  No attempt to understand the underlying issues and help to understand what the addict needs and wants for help.  What if the addict isnt ready to quit, but needs some stability to put their life back together.  Thats why I love maintenance programs so much.

What I hate so much about these drugs is that when you inevitably fuck up you are made to feel like you are worthless and broken.  Like you are beyond redemption.  There is nothing wrong with their protocol so the problem is clearly the addict.  Fuck that man.  Addiction is complex and you have to be ready to stop.

If an addict isnt ready there is absolutely nothing that will stop them from using.  Not subs, not jail, not a vivitrol shot, and definitely not a $500 nerve block.  The worst is that they likely know.  They dont care.  They are selling hope to the desperate and laughing all the way to the bank.

Fuck that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:06:27 PM by Z »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
If an addict isnt ready there is absolutely nothing that will stop them from using.  Not subs, not jail, not a vivitrol shot, and definitely not a $500 nerve block.

Bingo. Z called it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal