dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Judgmental Doctors rant about the 'phile  (Read 28283 times)

Offline Locke (OP)

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Locke is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 18, 2019, 02:01:29 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Judgmental Doctors rant about the 'phile
« on: August 15, 2015, 01:55:36 AM »
I came across this a while ago but wanted to post it to see if I'm the only one who is really, really pissed off about it:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/opiophile-org.940241/

Beware, you could end up reading this for an hour. It is some of the most offensive, vile comments by supposed doctors I have ever read. I would guess that close to half of the people posting there are simply pretending to be doctors. Even so, I looked at some other threads, and the consensus on that forum is that opiates should never be prescribed to anybody and if you take narcotics for chronic or acute pain, you either are an addict or you will soon become one. WTF?!

I really wanted to sign up for an account and rage out, but I didn't. That's serious self control.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline neighbor

• marquis de nod
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • neighbor has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:September 10, 2016, 05:45:42 PM
  • carpet diem
Re: Judgmental Doctors rant about the 'phile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 04:45:29 AM »
yea that gets brought up every few months. you're right a lot of them seem really vindictive and uneducated, but keep in mind its mainly for STUDENT doctors.

but I cant help but feel like I can see where some of them are coming from when you read some of the posts on the phile. some of them are just flat out "I have no injuries how do I get a doctor to script me a billion dilaudid?"

it's just not so black and white. and its scary to think some of those student doctors will become actual doctors. but some of them have a point.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I do not thus betray my enjoyments to the vulgar"

Offline Der Alte Krieger

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Der Alte Krieger is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 29, 2020, 03:38:00 AM
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 06:23:27 AM »
I went on a forum for student Vet's the other day and it was kind of refreshing, a lot of them admitted that Ketamine was pretty cool and almost all of them said the took the equine drugs, Banemine and Bute for pain
I came across this a while ago but wanted to post it to see if I'm the only one who is really, really pissed off about it:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/opiophile-org.940241/

Beware, you could end up reading this for an hour. It is some of the most offensive, vile comments by supposed doctors I have ever read. I would guess that close to half of the people posting there are simply pretending to be doctors. Even so, I looked at some other threads, and the consensus on that forum is that opiates should never be prescribed to anybody and if you take narcotics for chronic or acute pain, you either are an addict or you will soon become one. WTF?!

I really wanted to sign up for an account and rage out, but I didn't. That's serious self control.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Locke (OP)

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 06:28:51 AM »
I've never noticed it before, my bad. And I'll be honest, any thread asking how to get scripted X or Y is a thread I haven't read. I signed up for and participated in the forum because I found that it was an incredible resource for people who wanted to get sober. I was able to kick my habit and it was half planning and dedication and half education on comfort meds, similar experiences, etc.

What shocks me is the amount of posters on that forum who have been members for 5-10+ years - so either they are indeed doctors or just play one on the internet. But every few posts is a completely made up statistic like "the leading cause of unnatural death is opiates." Funny, as doctors accidentally kill more people each year than opiates.

But admittedly the phile has lost way too many members. It's not a great road to be on but that's why harm reduction and alternative methods of treatment (maintenance in particular) should be embraced by anybody who claims to be a professional.

Above all, the idea that doctors/residents/med school students having nothing better to do than mock their patients is pretty appalling. And they'd never read my posts because I'm not one of those stupid junkies that they find so amusing (look, they have a disease that makes them desperate! What a laugh!)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Der Alte Krieger

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Der Alte Krieger is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 29, 2020, 03:38:00 AM
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 06:54:56 AM »
The banned member in that thread, something or another doc9, was an Opiophile member at the time and managed to infiltrate when this first came out, a number of years ago.

I disremember just who it was that slipped in, anybody want to fess up?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Locke (OP)

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 08:22:44 AM »
I assume the person who infiltrated was the person who posted about how all junkies should be killed. Hilariously, one "doctor" (or "student doctor") replied with "you'd be dead if we wanted you to be." WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?! Like they RX you 100 opana = certain death?

I thought about posting in there yesterday about how every time I've seen a terrible doctor it's because they think they know everything and don't listen to me. One doctor insisted on giving me a hep c test and insisted that I probably had hep c because I was on subs. I had never used needles. I don't have "risky sex." But nooooo, I'm on subs, so I must be a needle sharing junky with hep c. That was a waste of time and a set back.

I've had 5-10 incorrect diagnoses because of doctors that make stupid assumptions about patients.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »
I think there's another forum where Opiophile got brought up, but this forum was for Student Pharmacists.  Or maybe I'm wrong and it was this Student Doctor forum.

Anyway, doctors can certainly be arrogant.  My sister sometimes raves about the asinine jerk they put in control of the cardiac ICU at the hospital she works at.  I'm not foolish enough to think every single doctor in the world is like that, but far too many are.

What gets me is the listening part.  They always ask you what's wrong.  You're honest and tell them, and half the time they cut you off and don't even let you finish.  Or if they do listen, they won't take your concerns into consideration.  I've had my share of bad doctors.

The only thing you can do is fire their ass and move on to another doctor.  Sucks though b/c you have to waste so much time weeding through the bad doctor haystack. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Griffin

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 10:50:18 PM »
I saw this a few weeks ago for the first time as well and had the same reaction. There was another site talking about how excited opiophile members were about the upcoming release of zohydro and showed posts about people asking what they should say to get it and people talking about abusing it. Here it is   http://www.businessinsider.com/opiophile-forum-users-are-excited-for-zohydro-2014-6   
I don't understand the people that talk about opiate users like they are better off dead it is like they have never experienced real pain in their entire life. It is one thing to disregard us junkies but I feel terrible for cpp's. The other day I saw a pharmacist giving an older lady hell about filling her morphine prescription. I hate when they try to play god when people really need it.

Griffin
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Locke (OP)

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 02:40:18 AM »
I saw this a few weeks ago for the first time as well and had the same reaction. There was another site talking about how excited opiophile members were about the upcoming release of zohydro and showed posts about people asking what they should say to get it and people talking about abusing it. Here it is   http://www.businessinsider.com/opiophile-forum-users-are-excited-for-zohydro-2014-6   
I don't understand the people that talk about opiate users like they are better off dead it is like they have never experienced real pain in their entire life. It is one thing to disregard us junkies but I feel terrible for cpp's. The other day I saw a pharmacist giving an older lady hell about filling her morphine prescription. I hate when they try to play god when people really need it.
Griffin

Exactly. I read a study that showed that the vast majority of mistakes by doctors were due to assumptions. As soon as you enter the room, the doctor decides who you are, what you're like, your diagnosis, and what you need and don't need. I've been misdiagnosed half a dozen times because of these assumptions. Doctors accidentally kill more people than opiates. I think I already mentioned that.

I don't know why there isn't more outrage about doctors and pharmacies and the DEA denying people narcotics for legitimate reasons. We get all up in arms when Muslims who work at Walmart won't handle meat. When a pharmacist refuses to fill birth control, it trends on twitter. But millions of Americans are refused medications that improve their quality of life and nobody cares.

You take opiates for chronic pain every day and they call you a junky. You drink yourself stupid every night and that's called a doctor.

I have chronic pain that isn't too bad now, but will be one day. I hope this madness ends by that time.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline lawyerup

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • lawyerup is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 20, 2022, 07:39:05 PM
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 05:16:17 AM »

I have chronic pain that isn't too bad now, but will be one day. I hope this madness ends by that time.

Fat chance I'm afraid, it will only get worse.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 05:24:12 AM »

Fat chance I'm afraid, it will only get worse.

Over time we will get better at actually blocking pain signals and worse and getting you high. The trend lines have been going that way for the last 150 years.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Dhedmo

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Dhedmo is working their way up.Dhedmo is working their way up.Dhedmo is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 07, 2019, 02:55:15 PM
  • Be the flame, not the moth --Giacomo Casanova
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 07:48:09 AM »
It's funny, Locke, I first saw this when the Phile went down. Instead of the login page, search results came up, this doctor thread conspicuously.

Of course, if you do use opioids for chronic pain you will become addicted. Meaning, you can't cease taking meds without withdrawals (a meaning obscured by using addiction instead of "really into" (as in food, TV, etc). But the fact MDs irl (let alone that forum, which I haven't had time to see) don't get it and/or judge patients because of addictions they themselves (the MDs ) created is itself painful.

Oh well, Lie-berry closing down. Good to see you.

Peace,

Dhedmo
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Riddick">Riddick

• Banned!
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • <s>Riddick</s> is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 23, 2015, 10:59:01 PM
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 09:20:24 AM »
Yea I read some of this bullshit. Its a lot easier to think your getting bonus points with society by believing and spreading what it has taught you than it is to give a fuck and do the research yourself. Look at religion. I just hope this type of shit never hurts anybodys feelings or makes anybody sad. That shits ridiculous.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:25:53 AM by Riddick »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »

Of course, if you do use opioids for chronic pain you will become addicted. Meaning, you can't cease taking meds without withdrawals (a meaning obscured by using addiction instead of "really into" (as in food, TV, etc). But the fact MDs irl (let alone that forum, which I haven't had time to see) don't get it and/or judge patients because of addictions they themselves (the MDs ) created is itself painful.

I agree with what you're saying completely, but let's be clear here:

If you're a chronic, long-term user of opioids, you WILL become dependent.  That's completely different from "addiction." 

Addiction implies having unfortunate, bad consequences from your use of a drug.  Not all CP patients experience that. 

Dependence is just the body becoming accustomed to the presence of a drug.  When the drug is suddenly stopped, the body goes through w/d.  That is a feature of addiction, but not the definition of addiction. 

A person can be dependent and not be an addict.  Although most people, including doctors and other healthcare professionals, don't make that distinction, even though they should.   

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Seven

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Seven is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 31, 2015, 03:46:16 PM
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 07:30:03 AM »
Opiophile is (has/was?) been brought up and put to the attention of many med students in course work and while training dea and drug task forces.

Im not going to look up links to back up this claim, but if you dont believe me, it doesnt take much digging.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions