dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Families smuggling lethal drugs into hospitals so loved ones can die. (Poll too)  (Read 11094 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
source: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/families-smuggling-lethal-drugs-into-hospitals-so-loved-ones-can-die-nitschke-20160201-gmj0qu.html

Families smuggling lethal drugs into hospitals so loved ones can die: Nitschke

People have smuggled lethal drugs into hospitals so their loved ones can die, Philip Nitschke says.

Three people smuggled lethal drugs into Australian hospitals last year so their loved ones could secretly take their own lives when nobody was watching, euthanasia campaigner Philip Nitschke claims.

The head of Exit International said all three patients were elderly people with serious illnesses when they took a lethal drug in their hospital beds. They were being cared for at the Royal Prince Alfred and Concord hospitals in Sydney and the Austin hospital in Melbourne.

In each case, a partner or adult child took the lethal drug to them in hospital, Mr Nitschke said. The patients had previously acquired the drug in case they wanted to take their own lives one day.

Mr Nitschke, a former medical practitioner, said the three people took their drug overnight while no hospital staff were watching. The next morning, their deaths were recorded with no suspicion about how they died.

"In each one of those three cases, there have been no questions asked. It's not surprising because they were very sick. The assumption was that they just died," he said.

The cases are now being used by Mr Nitschke in his workshops on assisted death. He said while many people fear they will not be able to take their own lives in hospitals or other institutions such as nursing homes, these recent stories show it can be done.

However, he warned that if the relatives were caught smuggling a lethal drug into a hospital, they could be charged with criminal offences including assisting a suicide.

Qantas crew approached Dr Philip Nitschke about two hours out of Sydney when a cancer-stricken passenger became ill.

Mr Nitschke recently tore up his medical licence after the Medical Board of Australia demanded he stop discussing suicide if he wanted to keep his medical registration. He has since continued his work with Exit International.

Dr Rodney Syme, of Dying with Dignity Victoria, said he had never heard of families assisting people to die in hospitals in such a fashion. However, he said the reports added to the case for assisted dying laws in Australia. If there were more options for people to end their lives when the time was right for them, he said clandestine suicides in hospitals would not happen.

Margaret Tighe​, of Right to Life Australia, said it was appalling that Mr Nitschke was promoting these deaths. She said the hospitals should investigate them and boost their security.

While spokespeople for the hospitals said they did not know anything about the deaths, a spokesman for NSW Health Minister Jillian Skinner said: "Any matter of this nature should be referred to the appropriate agency, the police, and accompanied by details and evidence of the illegal activity."

A spokesperson for federal Health Minister Sussan Ley said she was "disturbed by any serious breach of accepted or ethical medical standards and this certainly falls into that category".

"Obviously our department will need to obtain more information from the relevant health offices in both states before we could comment in any detail," her spokesperson said.

A spokeswoman for Victorian Health Minister Jill Hennessy would not comment on the reported deaths, but said the Victorian government was introducing laws this year to give people more choice about the kind of medical care they want or do not want in the event of future illnesses such as cancer or dementia.

The Australian Medical Association would not comment on the report, but Secretary of the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation, Lee Thomas, said: "It is unfortunate that any person needs to resort to drastic measures to relieve their pain." 
"Overwhelmingly ANMF members support the right to die with dignity and many have been engaged in the dying with dignity movement," her statement said.

In Australia, For help or information call Suicide Helpline Victoria on 1300 651 251 or Lifeline on 131 114, or visit beyondblue.org.au
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:10:07 PM by chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Guts

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
So what is the argument for not taking ones life if you're sick, costing tax payers money, and not adding to the economy or to art or to anything like that? Is it purely religious at that point?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
So what is the argument for not taking ones life if you're sick, costing tax payers money, and not adding to the economy or to art or to anything like that? Is it purely religious at that point?

think of elderly parents with huge assets (like a house) being encouraged by their heirs to die ... it gets murky if it's not policed properly.

just one example ...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts

• Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Our Community Board
Hmmm good point...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Morfy

• Free Falling Around The World
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 01:44:51 AM
  • Enjoying the stelliferous era--while it lasts
    • THE DRUGS AND USERS CHAT ROOM

Imagine being a doctor with the ability to end a patient's suffering, and probably not even face any legal problems from those actions, and you don't.  And you just let that human being suffer.....

I think the family would be plenty pissed off at you for not helping. Would they sue you?  Would they be mad enough to hurt you (physically)?

Back in the day, a doctor would just give enough morphine to ease the pain, if it caused respiratory depression and death, it was often peaceful and no one said anything more about it.

Idiot doctors today are yammering-on about it on social media, journal articles--blah--blah--blah, bringing this issue to light and probably causing a LOT of pain & suffering, instead of shutting their traps and doing the right thing.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
All matter is simply cooled and condensed energy.

Offline Guts

• Our Community Board
You know something like 1/2 of doctors, if given the choice, would not enter the same field of study again? We presume they give a shit... my sister is a doctor and my brother in law is completing a phd/md together thing... I feel like they look at me as like a test tube or something. After spending a day with me, the brother in law told my sister that I "ask thoughtful questions" as a compliment. At least to these two, it's really like Dr House. They're the biggest brains in their head (that was pretty good, eh?) and everything is a puzzle.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Have you guys seen You don't know jack with Al pacino about Dr. Jack Kevorkian (doctor death). It is such an awesome movie, and I don't understand how anyone can be against euthanasia to end suffering from terminal diseases. It is such bullshit the way that man was treated, and i can't believe that there are only 2? states in the US that allow it. I definitely recommend watching it if you haven't seen it or don't know his story.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Downtownbrown0610

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Downtownbrown0610 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 19, 2016, 12:23:28 PM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
Have you guys seen You don't know jack with Al pacino about Dr. Jack Kevorkian (doctor death). It is such an awesome movie, and I don't understand how anyone can be against euthanasia to end suffering from terminal diseases. It is such bullshit the way that man was treated, and i can't believe that there are only 2? states in the US that allow it. I definitely recommend watching it if you haven't seen it or don't know his story.

I recently took  a psychology class called "Death & Dying" It was very interesting and kinda led away from the normal psychology theories and studies. Anyways I had to do a paper on Dr. Kevorkian. I had not previously known anything about the man. It was so interesting reading and learning about him. Almost kind of creepy. He did some of His suicides in the back of a van with an IV device or "machine" that held types of drugs and chemicals that were released into the patient. He was later convicted of murder and sent to prison. I think he was released on special terms if I remember correctly. I will never forget in an interview he did stating that if he had the chance to do it all over again he would. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
the practice of slowly and gently overdosing terminal patients must still go on but we don't hear about it.

usually authorised by the patient's legal guardians or family.

I have no proof but euthanasia by proxy just has to happen because keeping someone alive against their wishes is painful and unnecessary and even cruel.

yep, I say it's already happening on the down low.

I want to pick the day I die unless I win the "lottery" and go out in my sleep.

anybody got the Nembutal ? where can I score it ?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:29:47 AM by chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
I am taking that class this semester dtb, it's an awesome class, we are going to the morgue, and a funeral home. Planning our funeral and our wills and advance directives, it definitely is very interesting. Dr. Kevorkian represented himself in the trial he lost, he had won like 10 cases before that, and it was the first case where he administered the meds himself and then did an interview on cnn and had them show the tape of it. He was given 10-25 years for second degree murder and administering narcotics but got out in 8 because he was dying from Hep C.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
I think these Right to Lifers and anti-euthanasia people are simply selfish. It's no one's business when a terminally ill person chooses to die. No one's other than the patient and their doctor.

And even then I think the majority of the choice belongs to the patient. If the doctor doesn't want to comply, their input should stop.

If I were terminally ill and knew I would be dying soon, I'd want hospice care in the comfort of my home. And if that became too much of a burden, or if I were still in too much agony, I'd want the option to take euthanasia.

When he died in 1936, George V was given a lethal dose of morphine and cocaine by his doctors to speed his death. The reasoning was that they wanted him to die before midnight.

If he died before midnight, his death notice would run in the morning edition of the London Times. If he died after midnight, the notice would run in the evening edition.

The morning edition was considered more prestigious and important than the evening, hence the euthanasia. That little tidbit was kept secret for the next fifty+ years.

I think we as a species can do a little better than only allowing euthanasia for appearances sake for a special few. Euthanasia should be a right. Dignity should be a right.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
Imagine being a doctor with the ability to end a patient's suffering, and probably not even face any legal problems from those actions, and you don't.  And you just let that human being suffer.....

I think this still happens more than people think. I suspect that's how my dear old grandma went out. She was under morphine sedation 24/7, and unconscious most of the time at the end. End stage heart failure can be pretty awful and painful, like you're drowning. They installed a pacemaker about a week before she finally died, in an effort to try and save her life, but her hear was so weak at that point it didn't do anything for her.

I was thinking the other day about a prisoner with a life sentence, who has exhausted all avenues for appeal. They might want euthanasia too. Would save the taxpayers a dime for sure. Lots of dimes.

Voluntary euthanasia is one thing, but forced euthanasia is another entirely. When people start thinking about offing a terminally ill patient because their situation is "hopeless," or because (shudder) they are costing the insurance company too much money, that's where I draw the line. People's wishes to live, even if they are terminal, should always be respected above all else.

Sometimes, people have a living will that specifies "all measures to prolong life should be taken," and it tends to piss people off when they are doing a deathbed vigil for the person, but I think you treat into dangerous murder territory when you euthanize someone against their will.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:46:18 AM by Zoops »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Guts

• Our Community Board
What if you're on methadone, or bupe... or shooting a gram a day? You think there's some fuckwit doctor who would be able to give someone like that a dose of opiates that keeps them nodding yet alive? Shit... with any tolerance... I imagine it's all a bit of a roll of the dice to a certain extent.... especially if combining other meds too...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
so far, we all agree.

I like like-minded folks.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Wildcat

• One love, One life-you'll lose it if you don't care for it
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Wildcat is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 09, 2018, 11:52:15 AM
  • constant companion pain
when my sister died in 2014-she died in a hospice hospital-we were careful to make sure they did not have a policy in place that has limits to the amount of pain meds they will administer. A lot of them do, I just cant imagine being told as I lay helpless and in mind bending pain as my sister was, "SORRY, you've already had TODAY'S maximum dose, and yes I realize it is ONLY 9am".

My sister was dying, yet she as afraid of becoming addicted to the pain meds.

I would not let her suffer, not on my watch.

God bless her beautiful soul.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:55:00 PM by Wildcat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"They put their hand out to you when you need it, and you have to remember to put your hand out when they need it too, that's what friends do"  - Mick Dodge

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal