dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: So I have this bottle of Depakote...  (Read 5513 times)

Offline Jega (OP)

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
So I have this bottle of Depakote...
« on: January 30, 2016, 06:16:51 PM »
So that day I posted I was extremely, abnormally depressed I called my Psychologist that day and told them something's wrong. I need help. I think I actually said I need help and they got me in the next day. btw, big props to them for doing that. So long story short they cut out the Abilify because it wasn’t doing anything and she put me on Depakote.

I know in 5 days after I start (and I just picked it up this afternoon) I’m supposed to get a liver test. I have a lot of problems, but liver malfunction isn’t one of them. So I’m not worried about that.

And frankly, in general, I’m all for anticonvulsants and mood stabilizers. Not necessarily because they sound like the best option but I get no relief from SSRI/SNRI/TCA’s the traditional antidepressants. So in a way I feel for my Psychologists because we’re both pulling at straws, but I’m all for thinking outside the box.

And no, I’m not bipolar. I know people who are, I have close friends who are, I have a lot of issues but being bipolar isn’t one of them. That being said I’m all for the unconventional thinking and trying things that aren’t let’s say first line treatments.

So now that I have this bottle of Depakote, does anyone have any comments? Stories? Thoughts? You guys know me pretty darn well, I’m open for any comments.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
Re: So I have this bottle of Depakote...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 11:12:25 PM »
my AIDS buddy is on Sodium Valproate.

he uses it as an anti-convulsant and said that it can be quite sedating.

it's worth a try.

good luck with it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 12:58:35 AM »
l know it's no kick in it, as in no "buzz." But hey, l used to say that about gabapentin too. I sincerely hope it helps you with your...wait, what symptom(s) are they attempting to treat with it? You said you're not bipolar, and that's what l understand it's used for (mood stabilizer), in addition to as an anticonvulsant.

Anxiety?

Hey Jega, do your docs know about your massive, unprescribed benzo intake?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:00:39 AM by Zoops »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 10:51:54 AM »
Psychiatrists script Depakote / valproate off label for anxiety. They do that because neuroleptics like Depakote reduce your glutamate.

Whereas GABA is the brain's primary inhibitory neurotransmitter, glutamate is the brain's primary excitatory neurotransmitter. By reducing glutamate, neuroleptics like Depakote allow your brain's GABA to work more efficiently.

The thing with Depakote, though, is it has a host of side effects. For instance, it can cause liver enzymes to get out of whack. That's why she's ordered a liver test. Also, Depakote is notorious for causing weight gain. IIRC, around 30% of patients in clinical trials reported weight gain.

I'd give it a try if you want. But if it doesn't work, or if you don't want to try it, I'd ask for and try either Lamictal or Topamax. Both of them are neuroleptics too, and they work in the same way by lowering glutamate.

But the side effects for Lamictal and Topamax are better, less significant IMO. For instance, doctors use Topamax off label to help binge eaters loose weight. It works by decreasing their desire for food. Kind of like a mood stabilizer for binge eaters who have a strong desire to eat.

And IME, Lamictal works very well for my anxiety. It's used off label to treat anxiety and OCD. It works for OCD because OCD is an anxiety disorder. The OCD symptoms tend to get worse when the patient's anxiety increases. When the patient's anxiety is decreased, their OCD symptoms tend to decrease.

I also take a relatively small dose of Lamictal, so I've not had any bad side effects. IIRC, some patients on Lamictal take it 300mg / day TID or QID.

So as I said, if you're willing to put up with some side effects, the Depakote might help you. Personally, I wouldn't take it again. I took it for 10 or 11 months when I was 22 and I gained forty pounds. Other than that it worked. But I wouldn't take it again. I'd rather take Lamictal or Topamax.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Jega (OP)

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 04:33:21 PM »
l know it's no kick in it, as in no "buzz." But hey, l used to say that about gabapentin too. I sincerely hope it helps you with your...wait, what symptom(s) are they attempting to treat with it? You said you're not bipolar, and that's what l understand it's used for (mood stabilizer), in addition to as an anticonvulsant.

Anxiety?

Hey Jega, do your docs know about your massive, unprescribed benzo intake?

Well I came out of the hospital diagnosed with "Panic Disorder" and depression. I've been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder before. I do get heart palpitations, chest pains (already had the cardio workup and I don't have heart disorder), tremors, and the last time I was with my Psychologist she was hesitant to call them panic attacks since while they do come on as attacks and do have moments where I would call them severe, they can (not always but it happens) last for hours and for that reason she wasn't calling them traditional panic attacks. As for what is truly wrong with me, if I knew a solid rock hard answer to that question I don't think i'd be seeing so many dr's.

And I haven't had any unprescribed benzos in the last few months. Really since I got out of the hospital back in the fall of last year I might have ordered once, some months ago. It was a decision mainly influenced by cost and my lack of financial resources coupled with me cutting out anything that might be influencing this...whatever this is. For example i've also mostly cut out high caffeine beverages too. I can allow myself one cup of coffee in the morning without it being awful especially with a beta blocker, but I do notice caffeine now. Which in and of itself is funny. I didn't used too. I could drink coffee all day and never really notice anything. Not anymore.

I am trying the Depakote. It's funny I think I noticed a difference within a couple hours of the first dose. You're right, I don't think this has a "buzz" but there is a general calming effect. It's somewhat similar honestly to a weak gaba agonist in me. And the kicker with Gabapentin is to get anything like a buzz you will be taking abnormally large amounts. With this and it's possible liver toxicity I don't think i'd push this the way I push gaba.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions