dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Ice addict reveals struggle: Not all addicts are 'down-and-outs with no teeth'  (Read 8632 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-02/ice-addict-reveals-struggle-with-meth-addiction-raise-awareness/6735942

Ice addict reveals struggle: Not all meth addicts are 'down-and-outs with missing teeth'

By Simon Christie. Updated 2 Sep 2015

From the outside, Chris appears to lead an ordinary life. He seems happy, healthy and holds down a good, well-paying job.

But just recently Chris (not his real name) revealed his struggle with an ice addiction in a bid to show not all drug addicts are "down-and-outs with missing teeth".

Chris is a close friend of mine and only recently told me of his meth addiction. I was shocked. I had no idea.

He believes no-one is aware of his addiction.

"Obviously my three drug dealers know," he said.

I interrupted. "Three?"

"Yep, three. You always need more than one because when one runs out, you contact the other. Dealers are notoriously unreliable. You put the feelers out to all of them and see who messages back first," Chris said.

Chris is in his late 30s, holds down a well-paying job in the tech sector and told me he had always managed to keep his addiction a secret.

Chris's girlfriend of a year was the only other person who knew of his meth addiction. That was until he told me.

I think I've probably spent $200,000 on meth over the years and do you know what I have to show for it? Nothing. Debt.

I asked him why he told me.

"I'm sick of the media's perception that all meth addicts are down and outs with teeth missing who don't feed their kids and steal from everyone," he said.

"I've never stolen from anyone, nor resorted to crime. I have no money. When I spend it, it's gone."

He is now struggling with debt.

Chris earns a little over $100,000 a year, has consolidated debt twice and maxed out his three credit cards again. That was all in 14 months.

He now owes $80,000 in total between a personal loan and credit cards.

Tears start to well in his eyes.

"I think I've probably spent $200,000 on meth over the years and do you know what I have to show for it?" he asked me rhetorically.

"Nothing. Debt. I'm almost 40. I should own a house, but instead I have nothing to show for my life.

"I don't deserve the love of people, nor the friendship. I'm a selfish addict who reverts to his shell in order to feed my addiction."

Chris fought back the tears and emotion just long enough to get out the words that truly shocked me.

"Some days I wished I was dead or would die in an accident or similar. If I went to a doctor and they told me I had cancer, I wouldn't have fought it. I'd say let it takes its course and let me die."

His tears turned to uncontrollable crying as his thoughts go to his teenage daughter.

"What have I done for her? I disappear for vast amounts of time and she always seems to forgive me. When I see her I want to spoil her, but I go months without seeing or talking to her," he said.

'There is almost no place to go to help you fight the addiction'

Chris is a wreck, but determined to fight his addiction. He feels though there is no support.

I became the person I never thought I would become. I hurt my girlfriend, all because I wanted drugs.

"There is almost no place to go to help you fight the addiction," Chris said.

"If the Government was truly keen to fix this problem there would be clinics everywhere. I checked out clinics for meth addiction and unless you have a crap load of money, you can't get the help you need."

Chris laughed before adding: "Tell me one meth addict with a crap load of money? There aren't any."

I asked Chris why he stopped and he quickly replied: "Money, mainly."

Chris then shocked me for the second time that evening.

"I became the person I never thought I would become. I hurt my girlfriend, all because I wanted drugs," he said.

He sat silently and I did not want to ask. He wept.

"We started arguing and before long she slapped me across the face. I cracked. I stopped her from leaving the house and I was unknowingly strangling her," he said.

Inflated sense of ice problem

New research shows Australians have an inflated sense of the country's ice problem, as experts warn "normalising" the drug could make people "more likely to try it".
"She bit me because she didn't have the breath to force the words from her mouth to say I was choking her.

"I stopped and ran away from her knowing my actions were of the lowest forms of society who beat women to make themselves feel stronger. I felt weak. I felt little. I felt ashamed.

"She told me the next day that she thought she was honestly going to die that night. I never thought I would be one who dealt out domestic violence, but here I am."

He was ashamed of himself. I was ashamed of him. I shook my head at him in disbelief more than anything else.

After a long silence Chris continued: "This was the turning point. I knew it was time to put meth behind me."

Government-funding needed, not 'pretend handouts'

That was nearly three weeks ago and Chris is still clean. His hurt is still raw, as is his embarrassment for what he has done and having to finally admit it to someone.

"I do however want people out there to know this drug can affect all socio-economic groups, all types of people and all families," Chris said.

If governments want to seriously tackle these issues, they need to use the taxes they make from [alcohol and tobacco] to seriously help those in need.

"I come from a loving family and there have been no tragic circumstances or past indiscretions that have led me down this path.

"Meth addicts are not all down and outs, and deserve help. Not some pretend handout from politicians who walk out in front of the media to falsely tell us this 'epidemic' is being treated seriously, yet give no serious money to help combat this problem.

"Meth is meth. It's a drug which can consume people, but so is alcohol and tobacco. If governments want to seriously tackle these issues, they need to use the taxes they make from the latter to seriously help those in need."

Chris finishes our catch up by telling me both he and his partner will be supporting White Ribbon Day on November 25 this year, a campaign to stop violence against women.

He left me with one final quote.

"I swear never to commit, excuse or remain silent about violence against women. This is my oath."
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline iwannabesedated

• Reputation Power: 2
  • iwannabesedated is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 21, 2016, 09:15:42 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Interesting article! Thanks for posting!

Although its true that societies idea of a crys user is usually way different than the actual truth, a lot of times whether you use or not you could totally pick a tweaker out of a crowd. Depending how long they've been using anyway..
I've been using pretty damn consistently sadly for less than a year and I feel like its pretty damn obvious by the way I look and my mannerisms. Although im sure being a heroin addict doesn't help lol, the way I look changed way more in a year of using meth than it did in five years in using opiates. I'm disgusted with myself for using it this much tbh, not that I judge people that use it..I get it.. Its just I wish I hadn't started going so hard with it.

I'm curious what about using messes up your teeth? Obv its not as damaging to them as people think, but my "boyfriend" has had parts of his teeth/fillings chip off at least 3 times in the past 3 weeks.. Back molars thankfully. He tries to frequently keep up on teeth hygeine. Could be better, but he's usually pretty good with it. I'm just curious what causes it.., and he snorts more often than smokes. He doesn't smoke/use heroin or anything else either other than bupe.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:00:08 AM by iwannabesedated »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline _Enduser

• Reputation Power: 8
  • _Enduser is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 22, 2019, 09:36:28 AM
  • Lex Produca da Original Ableton Killa
    • My original Productions
wow that sucks bullshit article chipper in a way if you break it down.

The shit starts off by saying "NOT ALL DRUG USERS FIT THE STEREOTYPE" and then goes on to describe a, debt ridden extremely unhappy misanthropic user who has "nothing but regrets and heartache to show for his drug use".. :'(.... :'(... :'(.

Why isn't he getting shitload's of stuff done? I know much better functional tweakers than this guy..............much happier too?

Actually, now that I think about it, I know a few speed freaks who have the most insane hustle ethic (all legit) and stack paper.  How the fuck do you go in debt over something you can make with readily available household ingredients?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
http://www.soundcloud.com/lexproduca

Please Check out my music!

Offline CARNi

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • CARNi is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 11, 2019, 12:57:51 PM
  • Harm Reduction & Safe Using
Chipper - thank you much for posting. Definitely opened my closed off judgemental brain to new things. I admit I may have been leaning towards those negative thoughts.

Interesting read to say the least!! Recommend everyone take a gander...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
46+2 are just ahead of me!

Offline Reezy

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Reezy is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:November 20, 2018, 02:50:54 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
IWannaBeSedated, the tooth rot usually comes from dry mouth. amphetamines are notoruious for this. get you and your man some Biotene. its a kinda high priced mouthwash that is specifically for dry mouth. its really good. it used to be prescription only but you can get it otc at walgreens now. i try to use it 1-2 times a day.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline corlene

• Reputation Power: 12
  • corlene is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 30, 2016, 08:32:51 AM
  • I alternate morphine and dilaudid in my PCA
Biotine is awesome!!! I couldn't live without i, I use it all the time since I don't eat or really drink.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opi-ette

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Opi-ette is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 05, 2021, 02:27:50 PM
  • “I can resist everything except temptation.”
IWannaBeSedated, the tooth rot usually comes from dry mouth. amphetamines are notoruious for this. get you and your man some Biotene. its a kinda high priced mouthwash that is specifically for dry mouth. its really good. it used to be prescription only but you can get it otc at walgreens now. i try to use it 1-2 times a day.

Definitely Biotene and I also use Pronamel. It protects the enamel and actually helps build it up. Another bonus is it helps with sensitivity.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions