dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: LSD, ecstasy, other psychedelic drugs may be ready for a medical comeback  (Read 10802 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:59:26 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
source: http://www.smh.com.au/world/lsd-ecstasy-other-psychedelic-drugs-may-be-ready-for-a-medical-comeback-20150909-gji9j5.html#ixzz3lElObISy

LSD, ecstasy, other psychedelic drugs may be ready for a medical comeback

Psychedelics may be on their way back in if some researchers have their way. Photo: Michael Mucci

Washington: New research on the use of psychedelic drugs as treatment for a range of mental disorders appears to be throwing open doors of perception long closed within the medical community, says a new analysis in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

For several decades, the North American medical establishment has classified psychedelic drugs-including lysergic acid diethylamide, or LSD, psilocybin and ​methylenedioxymethamphetamine, or MDMA , also known as ecstasy – as drugs of abuse with little to no medical purpose or means of safe use.

That, four researchers argue, is changing.

In Switzerland, Canada, Brazil, Peru, Mexico and the United States, researchers with no evident countercultural tendencies are conducting research that is finding psychedelic drugs a valuable adjunct to psychotherapy in treating addiction, post-traumatic stress and the depression or anxiety that often comes with terminal illness.

While most are small-scale pilot studies, larger trials are planned – and "more and more people are becoming interested and even jumping into the field to start trials themselves," said senior author Matthew W. Johnson, a professor of psychiatry and behavioural sciences at Johns Hopkins University.

Clinical investigators are demonstrating that such research "can conform to the rigorous scientific, ethical and safety standards expected of contemporary medical research," the authors write in the new analysis, titled Psychedelic medicine: a re-emerging therapeutic paradigm. And the body of research they are generating is demonstrating that such drugs as MDMA, LSD and psilocybin can be effective in treating well-chosen patients.

Two other factors – cost and time – also appear to be opening minds about the potential therapeutic uses of psychedelic drugs, said Professor Johnson, whose research focuses on addiction treatment.

Experimental therapeutic uses of psychedelic drugs have been tightly controlled, requiring extensive screening of prospective patients, close monitoring during medication use, and extended follow-up. But for all of that, when psychedelics such as MDMA have been tested in conjunction with psychotherapy for PTSD, or psilocybin for alcohol dependence, "relatively time-limited interventions" have been shown to have enduring benefits.

At a time when economy is sought in medical care, that may reveal psychedelics to be an "economically viable" alternative to existing therapies, the authors wrote.

And the passage of time since psychedelics gained notoriety in the 1960s appears to have made a reasonable assessment of their potential worth possible, Professor Johnson said.

"It's been a long road – this started back in the mid-late 1990s when the [US Food and Drug Administration] started to approve some of these very early studies," he said in an interview. "It's been a cautious road, but one that's data-driven. A big factor is really that enough time has passed for the sensationalism to kind of simmer down and for sober heads to say, 'Hold on, let's look at the evidence.'"
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline St. Theresa

• St. Theresa has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 06, 2018, 09:37:13 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Re: LSD, ecstasy, other psychedelic drugs may be ready for a medical comeback
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »
Very interesting.

What do you guys make of this? It was just brought to my attention.

29 “holistic doctors/ naturopaths ” found lying in the garden” and some staggering doubled over in pain, some in a “life threatening” state from amphetamine poisoning. They were all in attendance at an “alt med” Homeopathic Health Conference. Doctors and practitioners (those who could speak) allegedly said they didn’t knowingly take anything they took that would cause this. Some were hallucinating and some still too sick to be questioned and hospitalized.

15 ambulances along with a helicopter were sent in to help the holistic doctors and naturopaths at the homeopathic conference. Some found with “life threatening conditions” mainstream news reports.

Depending on the news sources these practitioners are called alt med/ holistic doctors or naturopaths, but one thing is clear: the articles state that experts at the scene said it didn’t appear they knowingly ingested what made them ill. Some were extremely ill when the 15 ambulances and helicopter flew in to the rescue.

Authorities said their preliminary finding was that the group was poisoned with amphetamines, but Koehlbrandt said they didn’t knowingly take the substance.

It happened Friday afternoon, Sept 4/2015, in Germany. The doctors were taken to various clinics in the Hamburg area.
I got the above from

http://www.healthnutnews.com/us-news...-took-nothing/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. "I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs."
"I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking."
"Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!"
"Shut up! Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control."-BH

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:13:38 AM »
Maybe i'm being short sighted St T. but it sounds like a bunch of people over reacted.

Now maybe i'm wrong! Wouldn't surprise me! But it sounds like a bunch of people over reacted.

Having just got home from therapy I can say it sounds like Germany has much better therapy then we do! Damn!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline St. Theresa

• St. Theresa has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 06, 2018, 09:37:13 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 12:42:37 AM »
Maybe i'm being short sighted St T. but it sounds like a bunch of people over reacted.

Now maybe i'm wrong! Wouldn't surprise me! But it sounds like a bunch of people over reacted.

Having just got home from therapy I can say it sounds like Germany has much better therapy then we do! Damn!

Yeah I agree, could be but I try to pay attention to shit like this.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. "I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs."
"I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking."
"Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!"
"Shut up! Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control."-BH

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »
I'd be down with therapy with MDMA.  I actually think that could help a lot of people with certain mental health issues. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Ease

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Ease is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 27, 2017, 03:29:10 PM
  • a cosy place for heads
Hi All, I just want to ask if anyone ever tried using medical cannabis as an alternative meds? I have read many articles about medical marijuana and how it can help you in terms of chronic pain, glaucoma, eating disorder/anorexia, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflammation, even cancer and a lot more. Like this article about a marijuana strain called Lemon That from:http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/lemon-thai/ . Cbd and thc are also new to me and I don't even smoke. If this is true I cant find any solid conclusive evidence that speaks to its efficacy. Any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MoeMentim

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • MoeMentim is now quite familiar.MoeMentim is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
  my psych is extremely progressive regarding psychadelics, he's part of a study treating ptsd vets with mdma.  says the routine is to have extended (2-3 hour) therapy sessions much like you'd do with any therapist, just longer visits.  Says it shows real promise by relaxing people and making them feel safe while recounting their traumatic experiences.  I've spoken to him about micro-dosing shrooms (suffer from anxiety/depression) & he said he's not opposed if i could find a hook up (my words, not his, hahaha).  he even pointed me to a local-ish place i could do ayahuasca legally with a legit shaman.  things are changing...

@Ease - i've plenty of experience with mental disorders and mj.  i don't think it's an answer to anxiety/panic disorders, i have to stick with pure indicas if i'm suffering any anxiety 7& even then i would say it helps much, just doesn't hurt & can act as a distraction.  cbd helps for sure but i only use it sporatically because i don't high i guess.  fractured some bones in my foot recently & got definite pain relief from cbd (with some thc) common knowledge is they need to be used together unless you have thc constantly in your system like me...  when i was in the er for my foot a doctor treating the patient next to me was recommending cbd/thc for pain, told the lady he uses a vape pain daily for his back pain...  a regular doctor!

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline GreyWidow

• Grey of Head Light of Heart
  • GreyWidow is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 27, 2017, 02:11:00 AM
  • Here for insight, info, caring, sharing.
I'm so, so happy we're back to MDMA research - stopping it was an idiotic move. It absolutely has potential for PTSD and mood disorders but as with anything, the more information and more time we have to understand it, the better for all - that 30 year or however long we stopped researching it delayed real help for people who are now dead or very close to dead - our Vietnam Vets in the US paid heavily for that move.

Similarly, as I will likely ramble on incessantly in the future, I'm an avid student of Medical Cannabis from not just a casual personal interest but so seriously considering moving toward it as a professional, I actually relocated to the one place in the world with advanced medical program requiring mandatory testing in all licensed and registered dispensaries.

There's a lot of confusion about what and how to use Cannabis as medicine, and much of this is due to all the focus on THC, it's primary psychoactive property. However, there are unknown numbers of potentially medically useful cannabinoids and other botanical components within the plant that goes back to MORE RESEARCH. Most sadly isn't happening here in the US, but it is happening and we do know a hell of a lot more than we used to.

I'd recommend visiting my personal fave site for helpful intro to most ideas, leafly dot com - it provides extensive information on all of these things and more, user reviews, and best best of all for a person first considering it as medicine, every strain that goes into their database shows top medical uses, top reported side effects as well as information on all kinds of other ways of ingesting and truly finding the medical uses which have existed in the Hemp plant itself. Hemp is not only an amazing plant for textiles, fuel, paper, rope - but it is a superfood and could be used to offset starvation in this world and put farmers back to work as well as inject an entirely screwed up economy with health and vitality too.

PTSD and panic are responding to SATIVAS which is unexpected. As friend Moe says earlier - he personally turns to an Indica - which of the variants is the sleepier, dopier type. But not all strains work that way because of all the things we have yet to understand. Good luck, and I hope that site is helpful to you.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Loving Sister
Lost Her Mister
Here to Share
Love and Care
- GreyWidow

Offline Ease

• Ease is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 27, 2017, 03:29:10 PM
  • a cosy place for heads
Magic Truffles
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »
Hi all, I just want to askl if someone ever tried using shrooms or truffles for medical purposes? I was reading some articles about this magic truffles and shrooms before engaging my self for the first time.They say that it has a very potent effect on the brain and hallucination. Unlike marijuana does it have any medical use? In one article that I've read magic truffles or shrooms are use on reducing the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety. It can also help people to quit smoking and alcohol addiction. Some studies also suggest the property of magic shrooms/truffles can be useful for cancer patients. I would really want to hear other insights regarding this new possible alternative meds. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:55:36 PM by Ease »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:59:26 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
magic mushrooms have been deemed the safest drug on the planet (some shit I read and supported).

I have selected, picked, cooked and shared them with friends.

they are an overlooked but wonderful drug. addiction resistant and loads of fun.

I love mushrooms and the trip is so comfortable.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions