dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: The Dangers of Synthetic Marijuana  (Read 11091 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
The Dangers of Synthetic Marijuana
« on: August 31, 2015, 11:31:32 PM »
source: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/patient-advice/articles/2015/08/18/the-dangers-of-synthetic-marijuana

Synthetic marijuana – pictured in these packets – can cause chest pain, vomiting, high blood pressure, tremor, seizures, hallucinations and paranoia.

The Dangers of Synthetic Marijuana

It's capable of causing serious harm to its users and those around them.

By Howard Forman Aug. 18, 2015

During March of this year, without warning, many young men came to the hospital acting extremely violent and confused. While many patients had positive drug tests, the degree of violence and confusion was much higher than what my colleagues and I would have anticipated. After our patients had been sedated for a few days, the stories we heard about what led them to the hospital had a similar thread: They all used synthetic marijuana, which, although similar in name, is different from the marijuana you're probably familiar with.

Montefiore was not the only hospital that saw a spike in patients suffering from the harmful effects of synthetic marijuana. In April, synthetic pot sent 160 people to hospitals in the state of New York in a little over a week. Alabama public health officials shared that nearly 100 people had been hospitalized for problems linked to synthetic marijuana between March and April, while police in Virginia reported that someone died from a synthetic marijuana overdose in April.

The surge of patients seeking emergency care after using synthetic marijuana is cause for concern. It's unlikely that synthetic marijuana will be wiped out in the near future, and it's important that everyone educates themselves to help avoid ending up in the emergency room.

What Is Synthetic Marijuana?

Synthetic marijuana often goes by street names such as "K2," "Spice" and "Green Giant," and it can be bought at certain bodegas for as little as $5. Unlike heroin and cocaine, it's not made using just one chemical. Synthetic marijuana can be made with nearly 100 different chemicals that are often sprayed onto dried, shredded plant material. While different chemicals are used, the compounds have similar traits:

Mostly concentrated in China and Pacific Rim countries, commercial chemistry labs produce the chemicals on-demand for distributors.
All of them are active at the CB1 receptor in the brain. This is the same receptor activated by consuming marijuana which is why this class of drugs is commonly called "synthetic cannabinoids."
The activity of these synthetic cannabinoids can be hundreds of times stronger than marijuana on a dose-by-dose comparison.
All of the synthetic chemicals used to make synthetic marijuana are illegal to possess, sell and use in the United States.
How Does Synthetic Pot Get From a Lab in China to Your Home?

Synthetic drugs are not only dangerous, they are also easily obtainable. Potential dealers can simply order the chemical compound online, and while illegal to import, the ever-changing structures make them nearly impossible to intercept on entry to the United States.

Most of the chemicals arrive as a powder, but some come with a syrupy texture. Regardless, the chemical can be dissolved in an organic solvent that evaporates easily. This solvent is often sprayed onto some oregano or other plant product. Once the organic solvent has evaporated, the chemical-plant combo can be cut and placed into professionally labeled and decorated bags.

The attraction to the substance comes from its cheap price, intense high and easy availability. The fact that it is "not real pot" leads some unsuspecting users to believe it's safe.

The Effects and the Treatment

As I've already mentioned, I've seen gross confusion and violence directed that has at times taken on sexualized form. A handful of patients become so violent that they require general anesthesia and intubation to protect them from hurting themselves or others. Increased heart rate with chest pain and kidney failure have been observed with some regularity in our hospital. Emerging data on synthetic marijuana also lists anxiety, vomiting, high blood pressure, tremor, seizures, hallucinations and paranoia as common effects of the drug.

There is no antidote for synthetic marijuana. As clinicians, we simply treat the complications and hope the patient will eventually make it through the acute confused state without doing too much damage to themselves or others.

Educating Each Other

It's important for people to understand that the effect of synthetic marijuana varies among its users. While a close friend may not experience violent behavior after using the drug, it can cause another user to behave in a way that can land them in prison, or even lead to death

Not enough is known about which compounds someone is actually purchasing when they buy "K2" or "Spice." The most important message we can share with friends, children and patients is that synthetic marijuana is capable of causing serious harm to its users and those around them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:08:16 AM by Chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
Re: The Dangers of Synthetic Marijuana
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:43:42 PM »
Yeah this article points out that people have vastly different reactions to the chemicals in K2. Some will completely freak out, while others will simply say, "I'm high as fuck and I love it, give me more."

Unfortunately, I was one of the latter. But I've met plenty of people who are frankly schizophrenic from smoking that shit.

Good to see The Old Dominion (Virginia) getting so much play in the media lately.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:47:30 PM by Zoops »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:09:04 AM »
Zoops, i'll take your word for it, i'll pass, thanks ...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline dysmorphic

• Master of all things Ganja
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • dysmorphic is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 24, 2020, 09:28:55 AM
  • I. LIKE. BIG. BUTTS!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 08:59:16 PM »
never not even one time did i try this. honestly i always thought it was complete bullshit. for the first couple years anyway. i was so damn sure it was placebo or something else. maybe fools never got to hit that blunt once or twice and didn't know what getting high really was? i just couldn't fathom a synthetic MJ that you could purchase over the counter. at that time to certainly would have tried it too if i thought it was for real. i am one lucky fuck because i would be just like some of you with the crazy issues because of it. i know i have an addictive personality and it has fucked me over many times. this is the first time my own ignorance actually saved my ass! that is fucking awesome lol!!!

the side effects and withdrawal i keep hearing about are just mind warping insane to even think about. i just don't get how something like that could make you as sick or sicker then being dope sick. fuck me if it isn't though. i wonder why though? i mean, it isn't an opiate but yet some of the synthetic MJ will make you horribly ill if you stop even after a couple weeks of repeated use. and if the synthetic stuff is close to the real thing, why doesn't real MJ make you sick like the synthetic stuff? is it something the chemist does when making said RC type chemicals?

fuck me that is some scary fucking shit right there! :o
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Herpes, its like congress for your dick!
~John Oliver~

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 09:52:57 AM »
MJ has a weak affinity when binding to the CB receptors but this synthesized stuff will stick like super-glue.

therein lies part of the problem ... it's also damn strong, they tell me. too strong, too long etc.

i thought the same as you until i started to meet the casualties, shit's no joke.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:35:02 PM by Chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
never not even one time did i try this. honestly i always thought it was complete bullshit. for the first couple years anyway. i was so damn sure it was placebo or something else. maybe fools never got to hit that blunt once or twice and didn't know what getting high really was? i just couldn't fathom a synthetic MJ that you could purchase over the counter. at that time to certainly would have tried it too if i thought it was for real. i am one lucky fuck because i would be just like some of you with the crazy issues because of it. i know i have an addictive personality and it has fucked me over many times. this is the first time my own ignorance actually saved my ass! that is fucking awesome lol!!!

the side effects and withdrawal i keep hearing about are just mind warping insane to even think about. i just don't get how something like that could make you as sick or sicker then being dope sick. fuck me if it isn't though. i wonder why though? i mean, it isn't an opiate but yet some of the synthetic MJ will make you horribly ill if you stop even after a couple weeks of repeated use. and if the synthetic stuff is close to the real thing, why doesn't real MJ make you sick like the synthetic stuff? is it something the chemist does when making said RC type chemicals?

fuck me that is some scary fucking shit right there! :o

It should be scary...

It's more than close to real MJ - it's light years past it in its ability to fuck you up. Super-powerful and cheap drugs from China. Gotta love it, right? When you get real zooted on that stuff it's more like some straight dope than weed. Take my word for it. Makes you nod hard as shit and you'll literally end up drooling on yourself. The non-initiated often will pass out and fall down right where they stand, or worse, will have a grand mal seizure.

Smoke it every day and you're definitely begging for trouble!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline EMC

• Reputation Power: 5
  • EMC is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 09, 2023, 12:29:02 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »
All of the synthetic chemicals used to make synthetic marijuana are illegal to possess, sell and use in the United States.

If this is true, then how come shops can sell it? The chemicals made to produce it are illegal but the final product isn't?

I thought the thing was that the government makes one compound illegal, so then the manufacturers switch the compound slightly to something that hasn't been made illegal yet.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline _Enduser

• Reputation Power: 8
  • _Enduser is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 22, 2019, 09:36:28 AM
  • Lex Produca da Original Ableton Killa
    • My original Productions
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 03:30:39 AM »
Iv said this before and I'll say it again;

I have, "head problems" where someone may describe me as schizo, by someone I mean  a "mental health professional" a few times. 

I still took to that shit like a duck to water, and that was the FIRST and ONLY time i've had to go to PHILADELPHIA TO KICK DRUGS, shit gives you a NASTY HABIT. LIke, W/d and all!

Also, it only lasts for like, 30 minutes at the most, so it's like taking the worst parts of crack+dope+and smoking weed when you were 13 rolled all into one big NO NO NO NO.

I still liked smoking it though, until the one time I had to fight of permanently entering psychosis.  It was so fucking tempting though,  I kinda wanna go back
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
http://www.soundcloud.com/lexproduca

Please Check out my music!

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 03:40:48 AM »

I have, "head problems" where someone may describe me as schizo, by someone I mean  a "mental health professional" a few times. 

I still took to that shit like a duck to water, and that was the FIRST and ONLY time i've had to go to PHILADELPHIA TO KICK DRUGS, shit gives you a NASTY HABIT. LIke, W/d and all!

Also, it only lasts for like, 30 minutes at the most, so it's like taking the worst parts of crack+dope+and smoking weed when you were 13 rolled all into one big NO NO NO NO.

I still liked smoking it though, until the one time I had to fight of permanently entering psychosis.  It was so fucking tempting though,  I kinda wanna go back
You are not a schizo. I've met honest schizo and you're not one.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 03:55:16 AM »
There was a case recently, I want to say it was local to me, so Bay Area: possibly Santa Cruz area. Kid was like 19, had a bag of "spice" from the head shop, 1 hit and he was brain dead. Sounds like sensationalism, but it's not, it's totally true. I saw the story on facebook originally - people posting condolences to his family, just ridiculously fucking tragic. They had him on life support for awhile, but he's gone.. IDK if he had an allergy or what, but they're saying he only took a single hit of the shit.

Sad as fuck. Just cos it's sold OTC, doesn't mean it's safe, by any means..

edit - here's an latimes article on this kid: http://www.latimes.com/local/orangecounty/la-me-adv-the-vigil-20140810-story.html
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:06:26 AM by Opus »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Z

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 07:50:30 AM »
It is only sold over the counter because greed motivated science outpaces the law.  Imagine if pharm companies could release any compound without testing or responsibility.  Scary shit.

Some of these importers and manufacturers should get hauled into court in civil cases.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline _Enduser

• Reputation Power: 8
  • _Enduser is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 22, 2019, 09:36:28 AM
  • Lex Produca da Original Ableton Killa
    • My original Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »

You are not a schizo. I've met honest schizo and you're not one.

I agree with you, it's just a lot of mental health people don't......I also don't agree with the mental health profession so there ya go.. But honestly, I wasn't posting on this or the "other" forum during my days of psychosis (like, not even being able to hold a normal conversation), so it's important to keep in mind we, as posters, only show the part of ourselves (or the fabrication) we want others to see.  Also, paranoia isn't a part of everyone's "illness", so, it's possible when paranoia is missing from someone's delusions we overlook the extent of how fucked up their mind is?  I hear things and get myself into minor thought loops that are hyper logical to the point of, well, "being illogical"; I've just learned to not entertain them when they persist.....

Are you into/heard about the band 13th Floor Elevators?  there is a GREAT documentary called "You're Gonna MIss Me", about the frontman/songwriter Roky Erickson, who supposedly became a rock n roll pariah after schizophrenia made him pretty nutty.  However, when treated with conventional meds+when living with his diagnosis, he (in the beginning of the film) appeared to be completely out there and to be a "classical schizophrenic".  When his brother sought alternative forms of schizophrenia treatment (towards the end of the film) with a therapist who doesn't necessarily believe in the classical definition of schizophrenia etc. and doesn't use medication, it was like looking at a completely different person from the one showed in the beginning of the film; a person who was seemingly "normal".

Also, I haven't EVER expressed what living in or experiencing reality IRL is like for me on these boards, and Im am used to sublimating my really "out there" thoughts and habits and mental experience in order to be socially accepted; so how would you really know?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
http://www.soundcloud.com/lexproduca

Please Check out my music!

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 08:37:04 AM »
This whole "spice" phenomenon reminds me of patent medicines in the late-19th century.  Snake oil salesmen would concoct medicines then claim they cured whatever ailment.  Usually the medicines were just full of morphine, opium, laudanum, cocaine, or other addictive drugs.  Or they could also contain deadly substances like arsenic, mercury, etc.  People thought they worked b/c they were usually high.  Everything feels and seems better when you're consuming morphine, opium, coke, etc.  Those types of medicines ended when the US government passed a law mandating manufacturers had to list the ingredients. 

I also thought these things were "legal" b/c whenever the gov outlawed one chemical, the makers would simply switch to a chemical not yet made illegal. 

I didn't have a problem with this stuff when it was just JWH-018.  I used that stuff and really liked it.  It was just like smoking weed but without the paranoia IMO.  I could finally enjoy getting stoned.   

Then the shit changed.  The last time I smoked it was a little over three years ago, and that shit made me insanely paranoid.  It took a good three or four months before I felt normal again.  When I was actively smoking it, I thought the telephone was watching me.  And by telephone I mean a regular land-line phone, not a cell phone with an actual camera.  Oddly enough I didn't think the tv was watching me.  Looking back, I have a pretty good theory as to why I thought that, but I'm not going into details here.  The short form is anxiety from former online activities. 

I can see people going through physical w/d from this stuff, simply b/c regular MJ is a weak agonist on CB receptors, whereas this stuff binds fully and strongly.  Think of it as the bupe or sufentanil of cannabinoids.  Regular weed is simply codeine. 

I still don't understand why the gov can't make one blanket law outlawing this stuff.  Seems like it'd be a much better approach than simply making each chemical illegal. 

@ Enduser: it could be that you've just had really shitty mental health professionals.  Some aren't very "professional."  Diagnosing mental health problems is more of an art form than a science.  You'd think it would be easy, as the DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Diseases, Fifth Edition) has very specific criteria for each disorder.  But unfortunately there's a lot of wiggle room for interpretation.  What one person might classify as anxiety, another will simply shrug if off as a normal reaction to everyday problems.  I'm willing to bet you've not had a very thorough, detailed diagnosis.  Especially for something as major as schizophrenia.  In all honesty, I don't know you that well.  But from what I've read of your posts, you don't seem schizophrenic to me. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:39:52 AM by Narkotikon »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Tags: