dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Does this seem right to you guys?  (Read 16381 times)

Offline monkey business (OP)

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • monkey business is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 21, 2018, 07:07:08 PM
  • Monkey bizz in the houseee
Does this seem right to you guys?
« on: January 06, 2016, 02:52:00 AM »
So I was watching this documentary on Netflix on Kurt Cobain's death and one of the things discussed was the amount of heroin in his system.

According to the toxicology report, Cobain had a blood morphine level of 1.52 mg's / liter at the time which would be roughly the equivalent of 225 mg's of heroin IV.

The narrator goes on to claim that this is over 3x the lethal limit even for a heavy user and that there's no way Cobain could've remained conscious much less fired a gun after injecting such a large amount.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 225mg is little bit under a quarter gram, right?

I mean even if we're talking 100% pure here, I just can't imagine that being anywhere near 3x the lethal limit, even for a light/moderate user. If that were true than the lethal limit would have to be around 70mg's (less than 0.1 g's), which from my experience seems way too low.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:03:50 AM by monkey business »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Any and all posts made by user "monkey business" are entirely fictional in nature and bear no connection to any real-life character or characters. Any perceived similarities are entirely coincidental by nature.

Offline Thoms

• "Is a sex God"
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Thoms is now quite familiar.Thoms is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 27, 2018, 01:32:26 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Re: Does this seem right to you guys?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:00:07 AM »
Me and Andi had the same talk. I know at the time our habit was right around that if I recall.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Fear and self loathing in thoms.

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 04:01:58 AM »
I'm guessing it's three times the LD50 for a normal, non-using person. And even then LD50 means that dose is a lethal dose for fifty percent of people. So some people would survive it.

I'm also guessing that the narrator and documentary people got their facts wrong. Happens a lot with drug programs. It even happens on the History channel, that is when you can actually find history on the standard channel. History Channel is a hacky, second rate version of most BBC history documentaries IMO. End rant.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 04:51:09 AM »
It's possible to have a huge tolerance but it doesn't sound right to me, if that's what you're asking.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline dizzle

• that nizzle
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:February 15, 2019, 02:40:50 AM
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
that shit is retarded. I hate it when the news or documentaries try to equate opioid amounts to normal people.

"HE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN CONSCIOUS LET ALONE FIRED A GUN AT THAT BLOOD LEVEL"

Such bullshit, I used to take 170mgs of methadone a day, and shoot 10 bags of dope a day. So, if some dipshit journalist was reporting on my blood levels at the time, they'd be like "Dizzle was taking over 5 times the lethal dose of methadone ("lethal dose" is 25-30mgs, not LD50 people, big difference!) and shooting over 10 times the lethal dose of heroin per day, he could not have been conscious!"     ------ I'll tell ya, YEP, I was, hell, I was working at a restaurant serving tables, busting my ass.

So, to answer your q, no, that's not right, though I've read FOR A NON-TOLERANT person, 75mgs IV heroin is a lethal dose, which is very true, but I've also read that people with serious habits (I'm sure Kurt had one) could withstand over 1800mgs of pharmaceutical dope, so the moral of the story is don't trust the news....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 02:08:48 PM »
So I was watching this documentary on Netflix on Kurt Cobain's death and one of the things discussed was the amount of heroin in his system.

According to the toxicology report, Cobain had a blood morphine level of 1.52 mg's / liter at the time which would be roughly the equivalent of 225 mg's of heroin IV.

The narrator goes on to claim that this is over 3x the lethal limit even for a heavy user and that there's no way Cobain could've remained conscious much less fired a gun after injecting such a large amount.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 225mg is little bit under a quarter gram, right?

I mean even if we're talking 100% pure here, I just can't imagine that being anywhere near 3x the lethal limit, even for a light/moderate user. If that were true than the lethal limit would have to be around 70mg's (less than 0.1 g's), which from my experience seems way too low.

What do you guys think?

This is what immediately jumped out from me when I reat the post. Are you sure hose number are correct?

-DC

[ADDED]  On the other hand,he had been down in a CA detox and may have had a reduced tolerance but then shot his regular pre-detox dose. THAT happens all the time.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:14:09 PM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline nick

• Founder
  • Founders
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • nick has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 22, 2019, 05:49:59 AM
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 02:15:16 PM »
Yeah, in the circumstances that's just wrong- the dope was probably to take the edge off putting a gun in his mouth.

Nick Broomfield's "Kurt and Courtney" goes into this and is worth checking out.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Smacky-Doodle 2.0

• All-Around Junker
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Smacky-Doodle 2.0 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 10, 2021, 03:26:07 AM
  • Welcome to drugs-and-users !
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 03:10:38 PM »
Ya good call....it's crap reporting.  It was well known Kurt was a heavy user, you can find numerous quotes from people saying "he always did waaay too much"

And DeadCat is right as well, he had just bounced from a treatment center, but had only been there 3-5 days IIRC, that last week of his life I suspect he was doing as much as he could score with what cash he had, Courtney cancelled his credit card when she found out he left treatment.

I agree with Nick in that he just did the heroin for that one last 'Hoorah' and to give himself courage for what he was about to do, so you can be sure it was a doozy.

Kurt was a small guy too, so there's that.  The lethal limit for him wouldn't be the same as a larger person, yeah?  I just don't get how they gauge such things.

I think he wrote the letter, shot up, and BOOM!! let himself out......that is if you believe the suicide theory, which I do now.  I used to think that Courtney was responsible, but now that I'm older and a little wiser, she may have been part of the reason but I don't think she had him killed or did it herself.

What's sad is that we will never know.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I often ask myself:  "What would Trevor Philips do?"

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »
A quarter gram of %100 pure diamorph is enough to kill 3 90lb people who've never had so much as a Vicodin.

Cops lie, journalists exaggerate.. They always gotta sensationalize everything, otherwise their shit would start sounding boring pretty fast.

I remember reading somewhere Kurt had a shit-ton of Valium in his system too, so there's that.

The dope in Seattle at that time was pretty good, ~$10/point and usually worth it for even one or two bags.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »
Yeah, and I just took 3 times the lethal dose of morphine, by ingesting a gallon of poppy seed tea. And yet I'm still conscious, and typing this stuff.

Seems like this is pretty much par for the course, when the square public-at-large is discussing lethal amounts of narcotics. It's always much less than what it is in reality. And besides, there's really no reliable way to predict how much of a dose it will take to end someone's life. So many variables come into play.

Time for some fun with pharmacokinetics. A drug's volume of distribution is equal to the total amount of drug in the body, divided by its steady state plasma concentration. For morphine, the VD is 245 liters. At 1.52mg/l, that would give an initial dose, assuming IV bolus, of about 372mg. I don't know where they got the number for the IV dose he took, but the math doesn't add up.

A drug with a high VD is highly lipophilic, low VD indicates high hydrophilicity. A drug that is extremely lipophilic, like THC, has a very high VD. For THC, the VD is from 4 to 14L/Kg. So, for a 70Kg person, that value would be as high as 928L.

Of course, volumes of distribution for various drugs are all gross estimations, based on averages over large samples. They are sometimes reported as Liters per Kilogram, sometimes just as a single value. Volumes of distribution vary from male to female as well, due to females having higher percentage of body fat.

Interesting stuff, to be sure.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 09:37:06 PM »
Hah, I wonder what reporters would say about my 70mg-80mg oxym shots back when I could afford such lovely luxuries.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline Guts

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 10:23:14 PM »
I've done one gram shots of some pretty damn good dope... that's on top of my 120 mgs of methadone. Not to mention the times I was doing benzos... tolerance to opiates can rise infinitely.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline monkey business (OP)

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • monkey business is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 21, 2018, 07:07:08 PM
  • Monkey bizz in the houseee
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 11:57:45 PM »
I'm guessing it's three times the LD50 for a normal, non-using person. And even then LD50 means that dose is a lethal dose for fifty percent of people. So some people would survive it.

I'm also guessing that the narrator and documentary people got their facts wrong. Happens a lot with drug programs. It even happens on the History channel, that is when you can actually find history on the standard channel. History Channel is a hacky, second rate version of most BBC history documentaries IMO. End rant.

It actually sounded like the narrator was specifically referring to heavy IV users when he made that statement, which is why it seemed so ridiculous. He even later said something along the lines of, "a shot that size would kill a non-tolerant person 10 times over..."
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Any and all posts made by user "monkey business" are entirely fictional in nature and bear no connection to any real-life character or characters. Any perceived similarities are entirely coincidental by nature.

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 03:16:43 AM »
It actually sounded like the narrator was specifically referring to heavy IV users when he made that statement, which is why it seemed so ridiculous. He even later said something along the lines of, "a shot that size would kill a non-tolerant person 10 times over..."

Chalk it up to misunderstood facts, misrepresenting the facts, and generally bad narration. Happens all the time unfortunately. It always amazes me that more people don't complain about this type of stuff. Make the industry use fact checkers, or use better fact checkers. Something like that. I guess society in general is just full of couch potatoes who want to be numbly "informed," without thinking about things, while they sit there eating their sammiches. American infotainment.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Fentfiend420

• Scum dog universe
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Fentfiend420 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 13, 2020, 12:21:14 PM
  • "Commit suicide infront of loved ones"
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 03:57:55 AM »
I still think Courtney  had something to do with it still. Maybe it's just me. There's a doc were it brings up some really valid points. Makes me dislike her and hole even more..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's like a world were you don't fit.
A life you can't live.
Somewhere you can see the food,
But can't touch the silverware.

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal