dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Metadata In Pictures  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Jega (OP)

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
Metadata In Pictures
« on: December 01, 2016, 12:39:29 AM »
I was looking through the Pics thread and found something that needed to be noted.  Just to be clear the vast majority of pictures I checked were fine. I had to go back a bit to find an issue but there are some issues. In some of the pictures there is Meta data that includes the date the picture was taken, and the GPS location.

As a general rule if the picture is taken with a DSLR you will almost always certainly be fine and if you have a GPS on your DSLR you would know. 99% of the time this is only an issue if you take a picture with your cellphone (I tend to see it on recent iPhone models).

The solution is very easy; just disable location settings for the cameras on iOS and Android phones.  While I use an Android phone I’ve never used an iPhone and don’t want to give specific walkthroughs on something I have no familiarity with, but a simple google search with just the model of your phone and “disable location settings” should provide you with a very quick walkthrough to turn that off.

For photos on your computer you can see the Meta data just by right-clicking the photo and scrolling to “More Info” (on a Mac) or doing the same and then scrolling to “Properties” and then “Details” (on a Windows PC). On a Windows machine there will be a GPS area that displays Latitude, Longitude, and Altitude so you won’t miss it.

I highly recommend everyone disable location settings before posting pictures as it is a huge security risk to you! That will protect you going forward. As for pictures already posted, please, if you can remember any pictures you posted that you feel you want to check on, please do so. As for our end, any pictures that are found to have compromising information we will notify you. But please don’t wait for our notification! I’ve been sitting here for a couple hours and this is a very time consuming process.

Again, the vast majority of photos I’ve checked are totally fine, but not everyone. And in the world that we live in one is too much! So please be proactive. Disable location settings on your phone going forward before posting pictures and check any pictures you make have already posted that you feel could have compromising information.

Thank you!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Z

Re: Metadata In Pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:04:25 AM »
If you upload to imgur the exif data is automagically removed.  It saves the site bandwidth as well.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:31:05 AM »
Bandwidth is really no issue as we are allowed 2 TB a month but what I do like a lot about your suggestion is it saves disk usage growth - attachments do not live in the database as they are simply normal flat files.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Jega (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 04:59:37 AM »
Uploading to imgur first is a good suggestion!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline dizzle

• that nizzle
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:February 15, 2019, 02:40:50 AM
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 12:07:19 PM »
Or strip the exif data before doing anything with the pic....

Personally I've got all that shit turned off on my phone and the camera/pictures doesn't have  access to the gps or anything else outside of literally the camera and the ability to write to the storage (save a picture)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Bodytec

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Bodytec is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 06, 2017, 03:52:13 AM
  • dopetalk.org
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 11:40:39 PM »
I was looking through the Pics thread and found something that needed to be noted.  Just to be clear the vast majority of pictures I checked were fine. I had to go back a bit to find an issue but there are some issues. In some of the pictures there is Meta data that includes the date the picture was taken, and the GPS location.

As a general rule if the picture is taken with a DSLR you will almost always certainly be fine and if you have a GPS on your DSLR you would know. 99% of the time this is only an issue if you take a picture with your cellphone (I tend to see it on recent iPhone models).

The solution is very easy; just disable location settings for the cameras on iOS and Android phones.  While I use an Android phone I’ve never used an iPhone and don’t want to give specific walkthroughs on something I have no familiarity with, but a simple google search with just the model of your phone and “disable location settings” should provide you with a very quick walkthrough to turn that off.

For photos on your computer you can see the Meta data just by right-clicking the photo and scrolling to “More Info” (on a Mac) or doing the same and then scrolling to “Properties” and then “Details” (on a Windows PC). On a Windows machine there will be a GPS area that displays Latitude, Longitude, and Altitude so you won’t miss it.

I highly recommend everyone disable location settings before posting pictures as it is a huge security risk to you! That will protect you going forward. As for pictures already posted, please, if you can remember any pictures you posted that you feel you want to check on, please do so. As for our end, any pictures that are found to have compromising information we will notify you. But please don’t wait for our notification! I’ve been sitting here for a couple hours and this is a very time consuming process.

Again, the vast majority of photos I’ve checked are totally fine, but not everyone. And in the world that we live in one is too much! So please be proactive. Disable location settings on your phone going forward before posting pictures and check any pictures you make have already posted that you feel could have compromising information.

Thank you!

I just tried to check the one pic I posted and could not see if location was on there but I think I do have location services turned on so could you check pg 66 my pic please?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I used to do drugs. I still do. But I used to too ."

Offline Jega (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 12:08:12 AM »
You're fine. I've been going through every pic on the pics thread, but it's taken me a while. I should have all of the pics thread checked up in a couple days, and if you don't receive a PM from me you had nothing to worry about.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal