dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Families smuggling lethal drugs into hospitals so loved ones can die. (Poll too)  (Read 11090 times)

Offline Wildcat

• One love, One life-you'll lose it if you don't care for it
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Wildcat is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 09, 2018, 11:52:15 AM
  • constant companion pain
Re: Families smuggling lethal drugs into hospitals so loved ones can die. (Poll too)
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 10, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »
when my sister died in 2014-she died in a hospice hospital-we were careful to make sure they did not have a policy in place that has limits to the amount of pain meds they will administer. A lot of them do, I just cant imagine being told as I lay helpless and in mind bending pain as my sister was, "SORRY, you've already had TODAY'S maximum dose, and yes I realize it is ONLY 9am".

My sister was dying, yet she as afraid of becoming addicted to the pain meds.

I would not let her suffer, not on my watch.

God bless her beautiful soul.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:55:00 PM by Wildcat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"They put their hand out to you when you need it, and you have to remember to put your hand out when they need it too, that's what friends do"  - Mick Dodge

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
think of elderly parents with huge assets (like a house) being encouraged by their heirs to die ... it gets murky if it's not policed properly.

just one example ...

Yes it does get murky and that is a great example of it but as modern medicine can keep people alive longer and in some cases disregarding quality of life the idea of choosing for yourself when you should go becomes a bigger issue.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
I am personally getting more anxious about death as I get older and my biggest fear is having something tragic happen to me and then being kept alive in a coma - with whatever ails me keeping me like that.

the thought of dying is harder when you're an atheist :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Griffin

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
I am glad that I am writing my advance directive for a class this year, my brother has power of attorney for me. I signed it over to him when I was in jail so he could help me get some shit done. I recently talked to him about my wishes if something were to happen and I feel like he will do right by me. I want to be cremated, and I want to be taken off life support after a second opinion saying it is unlikely that I will pull through, or if it is causing a burden on my family financial or otherwise.

I am glad to get my will and advance directive done because its too easy to die, and I don't want their to be any arguments or people feeling guilty about pulling the plug on me. My main concern is being a financial burden to my family who are keeping my alive out of guilt because they don't know what I would want, and this will hopefully clear a lot of it up and alleviate some of the guilt if something were to happen.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
I contemplated doing this for my dad as per his wishes but by chose starvation as his way of going in lieu.

When someone you love is suffering indefinitely, you soon realise that medically assisted euthanasia should be a right.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Oxyphile

• your local misanthrope
  • Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Oxyphile is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 03, 2020, 08:30:33 PM
  • chronic pain junkie
I'm not at all surprised by the article, I'm sure this happens around the world with a much greater frequency than people might realize. I think it's pretty sad that a terminally ill, miserable person can be forced to continue enduring their personal agony against their own wishes. Sometimes I think people are more concerned with their own conscience than the patient's wishes.

I took Ethics as part of my philosophy curriculum in college, and I actually debated euthanasia and assisted suicide. I think, like a few people have said, that in certain situations the lines can become blurry. Plenty of people can get on board with passive euthanasia, ie. withholding of care, but not with active euthanasia--an actual action being taken to induce death, such as an intentional overdose. And plenty of people can accept it for terminal patients, but under what qualifications? A year left to die? Six months? What about chronic, intractable pain? There are people who live in agony every day who, while they are not dying, probably would welcome death if given the opportunity. Personally, I don't think it's my or anyone else's business to tell a person when or how they should be able to check out. I'm only 26, but I have told my parents and my lawyer about my end of life wishes. Definitely something to take care of because we never know when it may be our time, especially given this game so many of us play.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
freedom is nothing soft and sweet, it's beautiful and terrible. it's admitting everything that I don't want anyone to know. it's telling people that I love I stole from them when they weren't looking. it's fucking up so many times that they won't pick up when I call them.

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal