dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Gold Coast baby's father gave her opiate to 'calm her down': police  (Read 971 times)

Z

A 22-year-old Gold Coast father gave his baby daughter the opiate OxyContin to "calm her down" police have alleged.
The Carrara man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was remanded in custody in Southport Magistrates Court on Tuesday morning.
His two-month-old daughter remains in the Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.

Acting Detective Inspector Greg Aubort, of the Gold Coast Child Protection Investigation Unit, said police will allege the 22-year-old gave the highly addictive painkiller to his little girl when she became unsettled on Sunday afternoon.
"We'll allege he put the child down and was looking for some sleep, some time to himself for a hobby project he had. The child became unsettled and he made the decision to resettle the child with this drug," he said.
"There are foreseeable consequences. This is a restricted and controlled drug, it is restricted for a reason, it's dangerous and at a high level of prescription for pain relief."
OxyContin is a close relative of heroin and used to treat severe pain.
The little girl was rushed to Gold Coast University Hospital, after her parents called emergency services.
"The parents were the ones who contact triple 0 in the first place and organised the QAS response and in that sense, the correct decision was made, as they recognised the child was not responding in her altered state," he said.
"The incorrect decision was administering the drug in the first place and of course at such a grossly negligent level.
"Given the outcome, in hindsight, it was a very poor decision that had grave consequences for that child."
Doctors called police to investigate when, after noticing the baby's unusual, altered state of consciousness and lethargy, they tested her blood, in which they found traces of opiates.
Acting Detective Inspector Aubort said while she had responded well to treatment, any longer term health effects were unknown.
"The reality is we will take further medical advice as the condition of the child continues, how she recovers, just how serious this was in terms of danger and risk," he said.
He said it was now a "multi-agency" investigation, with the Department of Communities and Child Safety likely to evaluate whether or not the child can return home.
Her father is due to reappear in court charged with administering poison with intent to harm and possession of a controlled substance on January 27.
Acting Detective Inspector Aubort said the case was unusual, given the extremely young age of the baby.
Certainly I've had cases of children consuming drugs they have come across by accident but obviously with a two month old, that's not the case," he said.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/gold-coast-babys-father-gave-her-opiate-to-calm-her-down-police-20160112-gm4173.html
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
Re: Gold Coast baby's father gave her opiate to 'calm her down': police
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 07:50:08 AM »
Was the man who administered the OC her father or someone else?

In the article it said the parents came home, saw the child, and contacted the authorities. At the end it said the father was due in court awaiting trial for administering the drug.

The only thing I can think of is the parents were a same-sex couple, and the father was babysitting.

In any case, the man was fucking stupid for giving a child the drug. Especially a high dose, ER opiate. It would have killed her had the parents not come home and called for help. He should be found guilty.

I also blame the parents for leaving her with him too. Babysitting requires trust and responsibility. Or at least it should. The parents should have known he wasn't responsible enough to care for her or any child.

They also probably knew about his penchant for oxy. Who leaves their kid with a known addict? No offense meant to addicts with children. But I don't think these parents should have done that. Especially if they had a choice in whom would babysit the girl. Maybe it was a last minute decision and he was the only one available. But still, plan ahead! 

I think the only reason the parents aren't being blamed is because they called for help. They're probably being lauded as responsible parents. Heros even. I find that ironic.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Wildcat

• One love, One life-you'll lose it if you don't care for it
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Wildcat is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 09, 2018, 11:52:15 AM
  • constant companion pain
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »
It does say  that the father administered the drug.

Unbelievable!

"Uh, honey pass me junior's rig so I can put him on the nod, I need to catch up on my on line poker game"   

crazy, irresponsible and dangerous parenting.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"They put their hand out to you when you need it, and you have to remember to put your hand out when they need it too, that's what friends do"  - Mick Dodge

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »
Oxycodone is synthetic heroin! /s

Atleast we know the gold coast knows how to party.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline dizzle

• that nizzle
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:February 15, 2019, 02:40:50 AM
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »
Was the man who administered the OC her father or someone else?

In the article it said the parents came home, saw the child, and contacted the authorities. At the end it said the father was due in court awaiting trial for administering the drug.

The only thing I can think of is the parents were a same-sex couple, and the father was babysitting.

In any case, the man was fucking stupid for giving a child the drug. Especially a high dose, ER opiate. It would have killed her had the parents not come home and called for help. He should be found guilty.

I also blame the parents for leaving her with him too. Babysitting requires trust and responsibility. Or at least it should. The parents should have known he wasn't responsible enough to care for her or any child.

They also probably knew about his penchant for oxy. Who leaves their kid with a known addict? No offense meant to addicts with children. But I don't think these parents should have done that. Especially if they had a choice in whom would babysit the girl. Maybe it was a last minute decision and he was the only one available. But still, plan ahead! 

I think the only reason the parents aren't being blamed is because they called for help. They're probably being lauded as responsible parents. Heros even. I find that ironic.

pretty sure it was him, the title says it, also, it never says they came home, just that the parents were the ones that contacted triple 0 (UK's equiv of 911??) when they noticed her "altered state"

lol@ them saying "she's responding well to the treatment", what was said treatment? A shot of naloxone, then monitoring...  I love how they imply this baby could be damaged forever, most likely a load of shit, unless her breathing slowed so much that she had a sustained period of time where she didn't have oxygen in her brain.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions