dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Dealing With OCD?  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
Re: Dealing With OCD?
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 08, 2015, 11:54:13 AM »
<snip>

OCD is rooted in fear.  People do ritualistic behaviors b/c they fear a negative consequence.  The rituals, in their mind, temporarily prevent those perceived consequences from happening.  For instance, people whose obsession is contamination and therefore wash their hands compulsively are afraid of getting sick.  That's why they've got OCD.

<snip>

i think you nailed this one - i understand OCD so much better. i didn't know the root cause before you pointed it out. Great post !
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 09:23:09 AM »
Some general things about OCD
--OCD is an anxiety disorder.  Obsessions and compulsions tend to get worse when the OCD person has increased stress.  OCD symptoms tend to get better when the stress decreases.

--OCD can happen at any age, but it most commonly develops in adolescence or early-adulthood.  Usually after a stressful or traumatic event.

--Most people have some obsessive tendencies.  That doesn't necessarily mean they have OCD.  OCD is diagnosed when a person exhibits clear symptoms, as noted in the DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition). 

--There are varying degrees of OCD.  While some people might have a mild form of OCD, other people may have more severe forms.  OCD affects people's lives differently, and in varying degrees.

--OCD tends to change over time.  A person may have a really bad period of OCD symptoms, then the symptoms will improve or lessen for a period.  OCD fluctuates, usually according to stress.  The more anxious a person is, the more likely their OCD will worsen.

--OCD tends to be specific and personal to each individual.  Not all OCD people exhibit the classic scenario of a "clean freak."  Some can actually have obsessions of filthiness, and exhibit unkempt compulsions regarding hygiene.  Hoarding is a form of OCD. 

--There are two forms of obsessive-compulsive illness.  There's OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), the classic illness.  There's also another called OCPD (Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder).  OCPD is a personality trait, whereby the person's demeanor is characterized by obsessive-compulsive actions.  OCD tends to be more intense than OCPD, although both can affect a person's life.  Hoarding tends to stem from OCPD, but can also be caused by OCD. 

--A person can have both OCD and OCPD.  One can be more prominent than the other, they can both be prominent, or they can switch in prominence.  OCD can affect the person more than their OCPD during one period.  Then in another period, the person's OCPD can take precedence over their OCD.  Both disorders can be addressed separately or also together, as they can be linked. 

--OCD and OCPD can be treated in several ways: therapy, medication, or both.  Some examples of therapy and medication include:

Therapeutic Approaches

Talk therapy (traditional psychoanalytic therapy).

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy).

DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy).  Originally created for Borderline Personality Disorder, but now used for a variety of mental health issues.  Basically like CBT, but with an added emotional / feeling approach.  Thoughts AND feelings are addressed, whereas CBT usually focuses on thoughts.

ERP (Exposure Response Therapy).  ERP gradually confronts OCD people with their obsessive and compulsive fears, thereby acclimating people to those stresses.  Eventually the person will come to see they have nothing to fear, and their OCD symptoms decrease.  Very effective for hard-to-treat OCD. 

Medications 

SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors).  Traditionally used for depression, these antidepressants can also be useful in anxiety disorders such as OCD.  They increase the brain's supply of serotonin.  They can vastly improve OCD symptoms.

Tricyclics.  An older form of antidepressants.  Tricyclics, such as Anafranil (Clomipramine) and Tofranil (Imipramine), tend to have more side-effects than SSRI's, but are just as efficient.  They can improve OCD symptoms in some.  Often used as a second- or third-line treatment, when the patient doesn't respond to SSRI's, or is unable to take them.

Benzodiazepines.  Examples include Klonopin (clonazepam), Ativan (lorazepam), Valium (diazepam), and Xanax (alprazolam).  A benzodiazepine can be used as an adjunctive medication to rapidly relieve the anxiety associated with OCD.  Not usually a primary or first-line medication in the treatment of OCD. 

Neuroleptics.  Some neuroleptics, such as Lamictal (lamotrigine), are used to reduce anxiety in people with OCD, thereby indirectly helping to improve OCD symptoms.  For example, Lamictal inhibits / lessens glutamate, the body's primary excitatory neurotransmitter, thereby allowing GABA, the body's primary inhibitory neurotransmitter, to work more efficiently. 

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask me directly.  I don't mind answering.  Knowledge is not only power, but also helps win the battle against stigma and misunderstanding. 

For those who are suffering from OCD or who are touched by it, I highly recommend the self-help workbook titled The OCD Workbook.  It gives an excellent synopsis of what OCD is, its symptoms, and treatment options.  It also begins to guide those with OCD through ERP therapy.  It can be used alone, with another person, or with a therapist.  http://www.amazon.com/The-OCD-Workbook-Breaking-Obsessive-Compulsive/dp/1572249218 

Chipper, I'm glad I helped you understand OCD better.   :)   Since I know you're a helpful soul, now you'll be able to better address those who have OCD, or who know someone who does. 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Tony

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Tony is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 29, 2017, 12:41:33 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 10:26:31 AM »
<snip>

OCD is rooted in fear.  People do ritualistic behaviors b/c they fear a negative consequence.  The rituals, in their mind, temporarily prevent those perceived consequences from happening.  For instance, people whose obsession is contamination and therefore wash their hands compulsively are afraid of getting sick.  That's why they've got OCD.

<snip>

Nark,

I think your post is the best description and explanation about OCD I have ever seen. It also gives me a much better insight into you as a person..

I too have been diagnosed with OCD, along with ADHD and a few other affective disorders. When I was doing meth I would tick to the point I had to stop. Another big problem was picking my skin. It was horrible. I was told by one doctor that I had Tourette's Syndrome. I still get obsessive when I take to much Opiates... If I was able to stop, I could laugh at it!     

Oh well, many of my closest friends have alphabet disorders. It would be a boring world if we were all the same....

Peace,

Tony

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »

Nark,

I think your post is the best description and explanation about OCD I have ever seen. It also gives me a much better insight into you as a person..

I too have been diagnosed with OCD, along with ADHD and a few other affective disorders. When I was doing meth I would tick to the point I had to stop. Another big problem was picking my skin. It was horrible. I was told by one doctor that I had Tourette's Syndrome. I still get obsessive when I take to much Opiates... If I was able to stop, I could laugh at it!     

Oh well, many of my closest friends have alphabet disorders. It would be a boring world if we were all the same....

Peace,

Tony

I'm glad I could clarify some things for you Tony.   :)   Hopefully it'll allow you to get some peace of mind and ease in your life.  If you're able to figure out what fear your OCD is rooted in, things will get better. 

About your skin picking.  The psychiatric term for that is Excoriation Disorder.  It's closely related to Trichotillomania (or compulsively picking out one's hair).  Meth and other stimulants can greatly exacerbate that disorder.  People will pick at their skin for hours on end.  Some will stand in front of mirrors doing it.  It's harmful b/c the person can cause great harm to themselves, drawing blood, causing scars, and putting themselves at risk for infections b/c they're breaking the skin using their unsterile fingers.

I don't know you well, but if your doctor said you've got Tourette's Syndrome solely b/c of the skin picking, I disagree with that.  I don't think it's a tic in that sense.  I think it's a compulsive disorder, definitely related to your OCD.  In fact, people who are compulsive skin pickers often also have OCD, other anxiety disorders, and / or depression.  Here's a link.  http://www.trich.org/about/skin-picking.html  It has really good info about skin picking.  Hopefully it can help you get a better understanding of it. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:12:35 AM by Narkotikon »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline x1x1

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • x1x1 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 15, 2017, 11:19:10 PM
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 02:32:55 PM »
I have a bad skin picking problem too. Started when I was in middle school. Opies or adderall definitely exacerbate the problem. I try my hardest to stay away from my face and scalp now, and do decent at that but my knees are fucked they look so bad. And any scab I get turns into a scar cuz I pick it off over and over again. It's such an embarrassing thing I'm ashamed of it but it's a compulsion, especially when I'm stressed.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions