dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: When is it NOT your jobs business?  (Read 11421 times)

Offline Snoop (OP)

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Snoop is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 02, 2020, 11:11:54 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
When is it NOT your jobs business?
« on: October 29, 2015, 03:06:42 PM »
So, hey all... Last I was here I shared about my new diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis.

Well, in lieu of waking on Monday Morning, I faced my usual bout of malaise and dry heaving... And I have been going and going and going lately.

So Monday morning, I said Uncle... I NEVER call in, like... Ever.

I'll show up in horrible shape and have em' send me on my way before I call in.

I don't know, I just fucking HATE putting in that Goddamned call.

But Monday, there was just no fucking more "go" in me. I called in.

I showed up today this morning, and right out of the gate, my boss is telling me to "come and sign my write up"

HUH?????

Since when does a CORPORATE job have the right to 'punish' you for taking a sick day to go to see a doctor?

At any rate, I refused to sign the fucking thing. My direct supervisor said that he'd take the write up back.... "If I produce a letter or note of WHY I saw the doctor"

I told him that I could produce a note showing that I did IN FACT go to the ER. But I fail to see what my PERSONAL reasons for going, matters????

I mean, what if I was fucking my wife the night before and my Dick bent the wrong way and I needed help STAT.... You see where I'm going with this?

I really don't want to make waves at work, and I really need every job I'm working right now. But, at what point should you lean on em' and remind them of State Labor Laws?

I'm a hard worker, so I'm not in fear of losing the job.... It's just, goddammit man.

What would you do?

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
Re: When is it NOT your jobs business?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
You'll be fine. You're just overreacting. As soon as you produce a letter from a hospital ED or an MD, you're good as gold.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline suboxstitute

• Reputation Power: 12
  • suboxstitute is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 06, 2021, 01:44:25 PM
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »
I used to work in HR (human resources, not harm reduction).

In general, your work cannot ask you why you went to the doctor unless you are requesting an accommodation based on a disability (let's say you went in for asthma and are now asking for a special air filter for your office or work area.)     Even then there are limits to what they can ask. 

They can ask you to show that you are (a)  fit for work (i.e. no physical restrictions) via a doctor's excuse or note and/or (b) to produce "proof" (as you are willing to do) that you were actually at the doctor.  Even "b" is sort of iffy, if you have a sick day policy and you called in and everything - you were simply utilizing the existing policy as it was intended.

If they ask you these ???'s or make you supply proof, they better be applying this rule evenly to EVERYONE who goes to the doctor.  If they want to have these rules they need to be equally applied to all employees in all circumstances.  Yeah,  I know.   

So that said, I would politely offer, as you have already, to produce proof you were at the ER but decline to produce the diagnosis.   I'd ask why they need to know...  as in "May I ask why you need to know?  It's not a communicable disease of any sort and I am not asking for anything special now that I am back to work so it's not relevant." 

======================
Some of this is covered under ADA/FMLA; some small employers are not bound to follow all the rules, so there's that.    But in general, no - they should not be able to ask for your DIAGNOSIS.  Sheesh. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Jiddu Krishnamurti, Indian philosopher 1895-1986

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:25:21 PM »
Ya I agree. I'd probably show them something from the hospital with a date, but not the reason.

If that's not enough and they demand a reason, then there's a problem.

'luck wit it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline Elevated

• Reputation Power: 4
  • Elevated is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 26, 2016, 11:16:17 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 07:18:27 PM »
The bigger the company the more HR bullshit you'll have to put up with.  The second to last job I had was expanding somewhat rapidly and the HR department just kept getting more and more annoying.  Main reason I quit.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Z

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 09:06:16 PM »
I am honest with my work about my addiction problems in the past, my current methadone treatment, and my needs around doctors appointments and pharmacy visits.

Is it their business?  No.  I work in a relatively small (200 employees) family run business.  The boss has been very discreet, and I think my honesty has allowed me to earn more of their confidence.

I actually prefer to be able to be open about my situation.  I didn't like feeling like I was still hiding a drug addiction, and detested lying to my friends and colleagues.

My situation probably isn't typical to you.  Canada affords certain protections, and I can not be fired for being on methadone.  They would have to build up an alternative reasoning to fire me.  Maybe it is different in your state, but I know that some states allow employees to be fired whenever and for whatever.  Even without a reason.

Would I provide a diagnosis?  It depends on the diagnosis.  My boss has talked to me about the frustration of doctors notes.  You don't need to he sick to get one.  You can make up a silly reason and most will go for it.  Here they make extra money directly for writing a work note.  Often $30-$50, and as a result they will write a note for anything.

We have had employees come in with notes, and then brag to employees that the were out partying and got the note three days later.

I think that is the reasoning behind the diagnosis.  To cement the legitimacy.  Is the diagnosis something detrimental to you?  Is it worth concealing and going to bat for your rights?  Only you can answer that one. My doctor writes that I have an appointment for a consultation.  I might verbally tell what it was for, but I might be hesitant to officially docent my reason for a doctor visit.

Care to share the diagnosis, or did I just miss it?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Sand and Water

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Sand and Water has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:March 16, 2016, 06:27:41 AM
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
Every single thing subox said. I would politely "educate" your HR/boss about Ada/fmla FEDERAL law and ask if they need your documentation to state you do not have a condition that requires them to make any special accommodations for you & mention that you wouldn't want them to have to "worry" in the future. Your colitis is you & your Drs business. Aack--what is it with this kind of nosiness??

ETA: i just thought of this--if you prefer to "not make waves", you could just bring in a note from your Dr (sans diagnosis etc) for your sick day. If they persist with the inappropriate "why", *then* maybe mention privacy rights etc?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:04:53 PM by Sand and Water »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

Offline Flutterby

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Flutterby is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 27, 2018, 12:53:50 AM
  • unicorn farts smell like chili
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 12:52:19 AM »
I am sorry this is happening to you...you certainly don't need more stress in your life, especially with your diagnosis.

Since it is a "corporate" job as you said, I'm sure they have a handbook and procedure for every-fuckin-thing.

I'd consult the handbook to see what it specifically states about sick days. If you called in and reported to the appropriate person in the appropriate time frame to use a sick day, then I can't see where you should have to provide any documentation. In my opinion, it's ludicrous that you've been asked for a note and a downright violation to be asked for a note stating your diagnosis. I mean its not like a person goes to the doctor every time they are sick enough to stay home from work (we all know what stomach flu or food poisoning feels like and don't need to go to a doctor to puke in their waiting room to be told "go home and rest and drink plenty of fluids").

If you've followed all the procedural rules and are not a repeat offender (which you said you weren't), and the procedure rules don't require a doctors note; I would politely ask them to explain why, because based on the handbook you shouldn't have to. If they persist, I would ask why am I the exception to every other employee. Usually in a corporate environment, that question will get them to back down quite quickly.

Please keep us updated. Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:59:12 AM by Flutterby »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline dayatatime

• Reputation Power: 3
  • dayatatime is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2019, 01:58:25 AM
  • Glad to be back!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 03:12:50 PM »
I don't have much to add in the way of why they're treating you this way that hasn't already been addressed and I'm very sorry  about the new diagnosis. I'm just glad you finally got a job that sounds like it's overall ok for you. Last I remember, you were looking for work and was having trouble in the sandwich shop or whatever. Hope the fam is good. Take care...
I am sorry this is happening to you...you certainly don't need more stress in your life, especially with your diagnosis.

Since it is a "corporate" job as you said, I'm sure they have a handbook and procedure for every-fuckin-thing.

I'd consult the handbook to see what it specifically states about sick days. If you called in and reported to the appropriate person in the appropriate time frame to use a sick day, then I can't see where you should have to provide any documentation. In my opinion, it's ludicrous that you've been asked for a note and a downright violation to be asked for a note stating your diagnosis. I mean its not like a person goes to the doctor every time they are sick enough to stay home from work (we all know what stomach flu or food poisoning feels like and don't need to go to a doctor to puke in their waiting room to be told "go home and rest and drink plenty of fluids").

If you've followed all the procedural rules and are not a repeat offender (which you said you weren't), and the procedure rules don't require a doctors note; I would politely ask them to explain why, because based on the handbook you shouldn't have to. If they persist, I would ask why am I the exception to every other employee. Usually in a corporate environment, that question will get them to back down quite quickly.

Please keep us updated. Good luck!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Thankful to have us.

Offline Snoop (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 10:00:21 AM »
Thank you all for the replies.

I just basically showed them the form that showed that I was in fact, at the hospital, on such and such date, from such and such times.

My direct supervisor didn't seem all that worried about it at all.....

@Zoops - I wasn't over here, fuming and losing control. (overreacting)

T'was only a mere inquiry, to find if another member had ever experienced the same, or similar situation.

Have a great day.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Daughter of Dionysus

• HeAd Is The Shit Up In This Bitch
  • Reputation Power: 38
  • Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:August 12, 2017, 11:25:29 AM
  • Don't Laugh, I'm Being Cool
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 10:12:34 AM »
Glad you feel relieved

Hope things continue to
Go well for you

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are all curious about
The things
That may harm us

-Federico Garcia Lorca

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity!
- BulletTooth Tony

Offline Snoop (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 12:04:13 PM »
Glad you feel relieved

Hope things continue to
Go well for you

Thanx for the well wishes, hope y'all are doing well also.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Snoop (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »
I'd like to add, that today I was called upstairs and since I have a pronounced limp from my prior injuries, they were concerned that "It may have happened at work".

I told them that my limp is old as the hills and had zilch to do with WHY I missed work.

That seemed to calm them down, lol... I think they're paranoid since there is a former employee who injured himself at work and is opening up a WC case.

Fucking corporations...... We're all gonna be replaced by robots soon anyway.

With all the "self checkout lanes" and "Automated Tellers" at the Bank.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Daughter of Dionysus

• HeAd Is The Shit Up In This Bitch
  • Reputation Power: 38
  • Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.Daughter of Dionysus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:August 12, 2017, 11:25:29 AM
  • Don't Laugh, I'm Being Cool
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 03:16:21 PM »
I'd like to add, that today I was called upstairs and since I have a pronounced limp from my prior injuries, they were concerned that "It may have happened at work".

I told them that my limp is old as the hills and had zilch to do with WHY I missed work.

That seemed to calm them down, lol... I think they're paranoid since there is a former employee who injured himself at work and is opening up a WC case.

We're ok

Did you know that corporations
Don't HAVE to carry
Workers Compensation insurance?
A high percentage of companies
In Texas don't carry it
Which I can totally see
B/c of the oil industry in that state
Which is rife with claims
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are all curious about
The things
That may harm us

-Federico Garcia Lorca

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity!
- BulletTooth Tony

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 03:29:43 PM »

We're ok

Did you know that corporations
Don't HAVE to carry
Workers Compensation insurance?
A high percentage of companies
In Texas don't carry it
Which I can totally see
B/c of the oil industry in that state
Which is rife with claims

CA ain't TX, by a longshot.

WC is mandatory in CA, and it's a BFD here, which is why his employer is nervous.

Frankly, they should be nervous..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal