dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Diary of a Drug Fiend by Aliester Crowley  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Diary of a Drug Fiend by Aliester Crowley
« on: September 25, 2015, 11:46:43 PM »
Has anyone else read this book. It details addiction so amazingly I really liked it and couldn't put it down. I wish it went on longer and explained more about the depth of their recovery or if they continued to indulge. I definitely recommend it to anyone as it is a good read and they go through a lot of the typical addict behavior that I am sure a lot of us can relate to. I didn't know where to put this thread at I figured this was a good spot but move it if there is a better place for it. I would goto your local library and see if they have it if you are into books at all. It is called Diary of a Drug Fiend and its by Aliester Crowley I believe it was written or took place in the beginning of the 1900s and they begin to start making opium and laudanum illegal as they start to hit the depths of their addiction.

If anyone else has read it let me know what you thought of it. I am an avid reader but this is the only book by Aleister Crowley I have ever read I believe it was the first book he wrote but I could be wrong about that. I mostly read biographies and crime novels if you have any good ones you would like to recommend.

Griffin
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline nick

• Founder
  • Founders
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • nick has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 22, 2019, 05:49:59 AM
Re: Diary of a Drug Fiend by Aliester Crowley
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 01:09:16 AM »
Sure,I've read a lot by Crowley and about him. He's one of those unique,boy's own type people that are virtually extinct in the 21st century,globalised world .

Try The John Symond's bio "The great beast". It's about the best biography out there.

P.S. He used until he died. In fact,there's a story that Crowley asked the doctor to give him a shot of dope whilst on his death bed.The doctor refused.So,Crowley put a curse on him and the doctor dies shortly after Crowley.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Sand and Water

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Sand and Water has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:March 16, 2016, 06:27:41 AM
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 01:30:50 AM »
This sounds really interesting. Thanks for the info.  I've always enjoyed reading historical stuff from the 1800s & early 1900's so I'm going to try to find this. The only novel I can recall mentioning drugs in this context is "The House of Mirth" and it was pretty superficial and romanticized.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

Offline Seven

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Seven is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 31, 2015, 03:46:16 PM
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 12:20:29 AM »
Sure,I've read a lot by Crowley and about him. He's one of those unique,boy's own type people that are virtually extinct in the 21st century,globalised world .

Try The John Symond's bio "The great beast". It's about the best biography out there.

P.S. He used until he died. In fact,there's a story that Crowley asked the doctor to give him a shot of dope whilst on his death bed.The doctor refused.So,Crowley put a curse on him and the doctor dies shortly after Crowley.

I also enjoyed his treatises into the power of the will, and the story of him walking at a distance behind a business man and mimicking the mans walk, then Crowley threw his arms to the side and fell to his kneea.  A second or so later the man stumbl3d in the same manerism.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions