dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: (NCBI and AUS/Syd:) Sleeping and Weird Vivid Dreams on (Tansdermal) Patches  (Read 4527 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:29:51 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16782142

EDIT: It's true, keeping a patch on can cause a freaky night's "sleep" (x

The effect of transdermal nicotine patches on sleep and dreams.

Abstract
This study was undertaken to determine the effect of 24-h transdermal nicotine patches on sleep and dream mentation in 15 smokers aged 20 to 33. Utilising a repeated measures design, it was found that more time awake and more ASDA micro-arousals occurred while wearing the nicotine patch compared to placebo. Also, the percentage of REM sleep decreased, but REM latency and the proportion of time spent in NREM sleep stages did not change significantly. Dream reports containing visual imagery, visual imagery ratings and the number of visualizable nouns were significantly greater from REM compared to Stage 2 awakenings, regardless of patch condition. However, a general interaction effect was observed. Stage 2 dream variables remained equivalent across nicotine and placebo conditions. Within REM sleep, more dream reports containing visual imagery occurred while wearing the nicotine patch, and these were rated as more vivid. The greater frequency of visual imagery reports and higher imagery ratings specifically from REM sleep suggests that previously reported dreaming side effects from 24-h nicotine patches may be specific to REM sleep. Combined with previous animal studies showing that transdermally delivered nicotine blocks PGO activity in REM sleep, the current results do no appear consistent with PGO-based hypotheses of dreaming, such as the Activation-Synthesis (AS) or Activation, Input and Modulation (AIM) models.

Douglas says the nicotine patches he's using at night cause vivid dreams.

source: http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/q&a/notes/050407-4.htm

11:51:21 07 Apr, 2005 EST
nicotine is a stimulant if I remember correctly. The (24 hour patches) patches slowly release nicotine as you sleep and during your REM cycle (your dream state) this would cause your mind to become more active.

15:09:18 07 Apr, 2005 EST
It is relatively common for quitting smokers on NRT to report unusually vivid dreams. While still smoking, they would have had declining nicotine levels in their systems during sleep. You can now get NRT that's designed to give quitters nicotine for just 16 hours out of 24. It could be helpful for anyone who has been put off NRT by the effects on their sleep, including vivid dreams. I know of one heavily addicted smoker who attempted to quit using NRT but went off it after it made her have very weird dreams and soon relapsed back to smoking.

20:22:43 07 Apr, 2005 EST
The brand of nicotine patch that I used to give up the filthy weed a few years ago had a warning on the box stating that the patch should be removed at night or vivid dreams may occur.

06:35:20 08 Apr, 2005 EST
They did that to me also so I stopped wearing them at night. Very weird

21:35:36 10 Apr, 2005 EST
Hi, I have always thought that nicotine patches cause the user to have vivid dreams due to nicotine's effects on the release and/or synaptic concentration of dopamine. This is also the main mechanism for the addiction and craving caused by nicotine (and speed, heroin, etc etc etc) Smokers generally do not have this effect because by the time they are asleep and in REM sleep most of the "kick" of the nicotine's effects have worn off. I am unsure as to the mechanism of action for beta-blockers. However, some antipsychotic drugs also can cause people to have **extremely** vivid dreams - I am unsure if this is caused by the drug, or given the people who take these drugs, a natural tendency for unusually vivid thoughts, or whether it is just that they are able to remember them more (and for longer) while they are on them. Does anyone on line have any experience with anti-parkinson treatments since they directly effect dopamine as well? Scott

04:14:11 14 Apr, 2005 EST
I'm currently taking a drug called Lovan (40mg) and exsperience Vivid dreams. I can wake up in the morning and feel as if I dreamt all night.. They are very clear and strange..???? Any relation????
One thing I have found.. is my sleeping patterns have changed.

21:50:21 18 Apr, 2005 EST
My housemate has strange dreams when he uses nicotine patches (he is currently trying to quit smoking for the tenth time). Nicotine stimulates higher brain functions, it acts on the a3 pathways, this may cause restless sleep when exposed to sustained dosage during the night.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions