dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: I thught there was a dabs thread but maybe I was stoned.  (Read 11895 times)

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • MoeMentim is now quite familiar.MoeMentim is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
I thught there was a dabs thread but maybe I was stoned.
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:39:21 PM »
I know @Mr.pooper is a happy dabber, as was I until I threw my travel bag with my rig in it into my truck & then a bunch of tool boxes and shit on top (house-sitting/working on sis's place) & broke it.  my dispensary had a deal -spend $200 dollars & get 25% off glass.  I really wanted another small-ish rig that I could use the nail I have but they had only a few rigs, nice but pricier/ fancier than i want.  they had rows of nector collectors in two sizes, guy highly recommended- said it's all he uses anymore.  the small one was only $40 before discount, the larger $60 i think.  I got the small one because you can keep it in your pocket & I thought it might be my portable dabs solution. 

I have been making oil & using a basic e-cig set-up (kanger evod 2 tanks) & that's the ultimate to me in stealth & portability.  push the button, inhale relatively low odor vapor & put the sharpie-sized thing back in my pocket.  but it's not a dab, not really even like a dab to be honest.  with mediocre shatter or wax as the starting material & dissolving it with the fewest drops (could be 6-15 per gram, shatter takes less than wax, goopy terpine-loaded concentrates take almost none & taste/are the best to start with but i try to keep it under 10) of "EJ Mix" which is a mix of PEG's.  once dissolved with careful heat & cooled i thin it if necessary with propylene glycol.  There are terpine-based products that have to be better than this PEG crap, i just bought the bottle of ej mix years ago when this was sort of new & im constantly too poor to buy something else.  Takes 4-10 coughing hits off this to get one good dab's worth of high.

no need now, this nector collector is awesome.  fill me in on easiest way to post a pic from my phone (can i do it w/out uploading to another site? sorry, tech-tarded) and i will.  it's an ingenious design - uses water but is almost leakproof - is in all practical terms, just don't shake the thing violently & it won't spill at any angle.  blow into it & you can drain all the water.  i'd say it's 80-90% as awesome a hit as a rig and is really a jump in good low-tech highs so to speak.  the smallest torch (maybe even a bic, i'll report back) is enough to get the tip of the nail red hot in seconds, you dip that into the concentrate & inhake.  like i said, it's water filtered like a rig, same hit altogether, mostly.  my 2 minor complaints (if i expected this thing to rival a rig) is that the nail, being of significantly less mass cools quickly when stuck into the container (silicone is good) of concentrate & breathed into.  the larger version has a bigger nail that would hold it's heat more & along with the additional water it holds must rival a basic rig for as big a hit as one could want. Oh - one overcomeable disatvantage  is the lack of a cap (is that called a dome vs. "domeless"?) meaning the lack of vacume a cap/dome creates requires somewhat higher temps to vaporize.  hotter = harsher, less tasty, more terpines destroyed rather than vaporized.  Honestly, that's nit-picking, this fucker is awesome.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
Re: I thught there was a dabs thread but maybe I was stoned.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 08:56:01 PM »
bic is definitely a no-go.  soot.  maybe in a pinch it'd burn off if you got it to red but the smallest butane torch is more than adequate for it.  I think i'll call my dispensary & see if i can return for larger version.   if not i'll probably buy the big one for home & take the small one with me.  i'd rather just pay for the big one though since i'm poor.

i'm drinking beer, listening to doc watson & smoking myself silly.  SILLY.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:12:31 PM by MoeMentim »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 09:31:02 PM »
even with this little guy you can heat it up red hot, jab it in there and get a solid hit you can't hold in.  only drawback is a bit harsher than a dedicated rig..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 09:37:52 PM »
If you want to upload a picture then go to the attachments below this window and give adding one a go. You should then be prompted for it's source so then you would choose one from your photo gallery.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Opiophelia

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Opiophelia is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:August 27, 2016, 07:27:37 PM
  • Nip is a helluva drug
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:59:59 AM »
I dab. I've been buying my stuff online and I've been getting dispensary quality or better. Which is great because the concentrates here in the Dallas area suck. I've pretty much been exclusively using concentrates and hardly smoking bud at all.

Here's one of the batches I have right now:

* image.jpg (78.58 kB . 600x600 - viewed 473 times)

The best portable dab setup I have right now is the Kiln. It's a sub-ohm, ceramic 510 attachment for any mod that can do 10-15 watts and can read resistances below 1 ohm (most can these days.) I have my Kiln on the mini volt mod, which is one of the smallest on the market and it's super stealthy and works a thousand times better than mixing your concentrates into some PG. it's really not expensive at all either. They're on eBay for like $25. I don't think you'd be disappointed by it.

* image.jpg (15.47 kB . 337x600 - viewed 471 times)

My other favorite dab setup... The one that gets me higher than any other, is the cloud v electro. The thing is a beast. It's an e-nail on a 6,000 mah battery with a pretty sweet glass bubbler attachment. This is the one I have:

* image.jpeg (16.15 kB . 320x320 - viewed 418 times)

The cloud v is a little pricey though. They start around $225 and go up. It's a great at-home piece but if you can afford the $25 for a Kiln, I highly suggest it.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:03:03 AM by Opiophelia »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 05:42:17 AM »
I used to make my own but using the remains of plants  but soaked in Isopropyl alcohol few quite a few days.

It was potent ... brings back memories.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mr.pooper

• Reputation Power: 18
  • Mr.pooper is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 26, 2022, 09:12:34 PM
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »
I do love my dabs...lately I've been dabbing Apple jaxx shatter(PHO not BHO) and dunking it in this 95% THC sunset diesel THC-A powder, then sprinkle a few CBD crystalline shards on top. Makes for a good dab.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"If only I had checked myself"
-Guy who wrecked himself

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 10:27:32 PM »
  @Mr.pooper - i've only had a couple grams of shatter that tested in the 90%'s, they were also the tastiest/most terpine-rich dabs i've done.  med stuff isn't (or isn't required to be) tested in co so i have no idea what the stuff i get from my disp might be.  i'g guess in the low 70's at best , but still good - & cheap - just got 5 grams of grape ape x chem wax for $90.  have you tried any live resin?  i've yet to.  i'm mostly interested in the newer rosin technique - all pressure & some heat, no solvents at all.  surely less efficient, but done right it's supposed to rival or surpass even live resin for taste & terpine retention.

@chipper - i've made tons of iso hash (& dry sift,bubble, etc..)  i've never messed with (and won't) making any of this butane/propane extracted stuff, although it's mostly what i smoke nowadays.  if i ever get to growing my own again i'll definitely look into the rosin method.  favorite stuff i made myself was dry sift hash given a quick cold wash in 100% isopropyl.  i smoked it off foil before i heard of dabs.  also with that stuff i could roll some into the first half of a cig, walk down las vegas blvd without getting a single glance & be totally lit when i put my smoke out.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:32:51 PM by MoeMentim »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:36:36 PM »
Yes Moe, I used to soak cigs. in the dark green oil before completely evaporated and it made for a very nice cigarette with a difference.

It was a giveaway as it was green though.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 10:28:37 PM »
The nector-collector broke which i knew it would & it did so exactly how i expected it to.  It was built with the nail/glass collection bassackwards - glass was female, titanium male - heated metal expands the surrounding glass.  Done the regular way the heated metal compresses the glass which easily resists.  I asked the guy about it & he said he was careful not to overheat it for the same reason but his never broke.  I thought I'd eventually over-heat it & break it but $40, why not?

anyhow, I bought my first rebuildable drip atomizer (mini royal hunter) in the hopes of using it for wax & shatter without converting them to oil.  had the guy at the shop build me two coils without wicks - he wasn't a toker & not knowing a better build for dabs he just built me 2 standard cylindrical coils resulting in a .2 ohm load.  So far I'm impressed - taste is straight harsh but it's no worse than the PEG's in the oil I'd been making AND one hit is very close to a dab in potency. 

I didn't have a lot to go on to know what'd work best & I don't think the royal hunter was the best possible choice but i can work with it while checking out some others.  I've got ideas for what'd make a great dab atomizer cheap, just a different deck layoout than you'd want for regular e-juice.  basically, one designed to hold the less volume (opposite of what you want for nicotine juice) to keep it all close/on the wickless coil. 

Bigger drawback to the Royal Hunter Mini is no airflow adjustment & a very open draw.  Vaporization is a result of heat AND pressure (in this case vacume) - a tight draw creates vacume & less heat is required to vaporize (why you should use a carb-cap on any dab rig).  I put a rubber band around it to close off most of the holes. 

A closed-off deck with one vertical conical shaped space for a coil & a tool to wind coils to fit would be tits.  go ahead, knock yourself out - a little bit of marketing & they'll sell to stoners for $75 a pop 'till China gets wind.  Another dab now.  You should have one too.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:39:07 PM by MoeMentim »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mr.pooper

• Reputation Power: 18
  • Mr.pooper is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 26, 2022, 09:12:34 PM
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 03:33:09 PM »
Sounds awesome! Vape pens can be a lot of fun. I currently have a 1 gram cartridge that's glass and stainless steel. Holds about 300 hits. Big Hits that produce a lot of smoke and feel satisfying, unlike some smaller brands where it just teases me a little.

The current flavor is a Live Resin super silver haze. Tested around 92% cannabinoids, and is solventless. Dumbass tasty.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions