dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Recreational Sports  (Read 15763 times)

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Recreational Sports
« on: March 09, 2016, 11:04:04 PM »
I was just wondering if any of you guys play paintball? I played when I was a kid, and got into the competitive side of it and played tournaments and stuff in a few states it was a lot of fun. Did you guys know there was professional paintball? I am getting back into it so I thought I'd ask if any of you have played it or have played in tournaments and that kind of stuff. I am hoping to get on a national team this year and see if I can find someone to pay for me to play and travel because that'd be fun.

Here is a video of professional paintball if you have never heard of it or seen it.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:32:27 PM by chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
Re: Recreational Sports
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:51:35 PM »
I used to be really into paintball with my friends back in 05/06. I never competed in a tournament, just played in small teams composed of my group of friends and other neighborhood kids. We played woodsball primarily but also had a few other safe places to play, one of which was an abandoned construction site with a huge unfinished concrete building and sections of concrete tubing big enough to walk in. Good times. Expensive hobby!

We stopped playing once the local source of CO2 went out of business, forcing us to have to drive over an hour to the nearest place that filled tanks. My friends picked up airsoft after that? But I never got into it, it just seemed kind of silly to me.

I miss my custom Tippman :(

I wish you the best of luck on getting on a professional team and a sponsor, that would be really cool!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 12:08:16 AM »
Yeah in high school me and my friends would go play in the woods around our houses. I lived about 10 minutes from one of the better fields in oklahoma and that was my first job being a ref there so that I could play and practice for free. The guy who owned the field sponsored us so we got to play for free or sometimes we had to pay for paint at whatever cost he was getting it during the slow months. It was cool I got to play for free all I wanted and we could buy are equipment at the price that the stores get it for, he would also pay for our tournament fees too.

I have a few friends that play pro now that I played with when I was younger, one of them is in that video I posted. It is a lot of fun but definitely expensive, that is why its nice to get to the national level where you don't have to pay for anything they give you all the new equipment each year, and pay all your fees to travel and play a lot of the teams play in europe too that would be awesome.

Most the pros don't get paid very much so they usually have a job but it would be cool to work at a paintball company and do marketing or make guns and that kind of stuff or own a field which is what a lot of them do.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
@chipper or any other mods do you think you could change the title of this thread to recreational sports? I was going to see who all snowboards but don't want to make another thread about it, and it would be interesting to see what sports and stuff people do for fun. I am wanting to become a rafting instructor for the summer, I'd like to go kayaking or rafting a few times this summer, I have only been 3-4x.

I went snowboarding for the first time in 2 years yesterday. It was so much fun, i have only been 4x in my life but I was able to pick it up decent enough I only fell once while riding and once coming off the lift because the people in front of me fell. It is so amazing, and strenuous. It is just beautiful up there and cruising down the mountain and seeing everything is just awesome.

I am 50lbs heavier than the last time I went, and completely out of shape. I thought I was going to die after the first run. I had to take a break after just strapping my boots into the board, and I am so sore today. The season closes in 2 months, I am going to try and go 5-6 more times to see if i can get good enough to cruise the longer runs without falling, so that I can go with my friends cause they are all really good.

I have always had terrible balance, and I guess you just got to get used to falling or going fast, I am having trouble turning to the left, heelside turns? I haven't taken any lessons or anything, i learned how to skateboard when I moved here because turning and riding is somewhat similar.  Has anyone taken lessons? Do you think it would be a good idea for me to do that?

Also does anyone know about snowboards? When I went 2 years ago i weighed 135 and rode a 154 and now I weigh 185 they gave me a 149. I didn't have any problems with and felt like I had a decent amount of control. I am 5'9, do smaller boards give you more control? If I lose weight will I ride the same size board or go down or up? I feel like I had more control on the board yesterday than I did on my older board but it was a rental, and newer the board I had 2 years ago kind of sucked.

I'm going to try to lose weight soon, does anyone have any good remedies for the MMT sugar cravings? I eat nothing but candy and sugar, plus I don't do anything at all besides goto school. I get out of my bed like twice a day, mainly cause I am kind of depressed I hope I get out that funk when I see my family in a few weeks its been 2 years.

My blood pressure and pulse is really high for the first 6 hours after taking methadone and I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help that? Does anyone else have this problem? It is directly related to the done, and maybe a little bit to the weight I gained because of it. When I do anything strenuous my heart starts pounding I feel like I am going to die. Is there a certain rate that I should not go above for my bp and pulse when working out? What is the best way to work out for losing weight?

I am hoping that I can lose 40 lbs and look normal again and hopefully get some of my confidence back, and feel healthy and attractive again. I gained 100lbs with in a year of getting on MMT, and I have lost 40 so far and kept it off. It is stupid how out of shape I am. I am 26 and I get winded walking up the stairs, and like I said earlier for the past 6 months I have been laying in my bed 23 hours a day. I usually only get up to goto the bathroom, school, or the grocery store.

I have zero motivation and I think it is a mix between the MMT and being depressed that is causing this, I have been this way a lot of my life. I don't want to go anywhere or do anything, but when I do I always enjoy it and have a good time I just always do the same routine every day and its hard for me to stray from it, I just have to change my routine I guess.

Is there anything you guys have done that helps with the motivation besides just forcing yourself to do it. Maybe Ill make a plan for each day to get out atleast once a day or have 3 or 4 days a week where I have to exercise, maybe with it getting warmer outside that will help, the cold makes me depressed.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts

• Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 02:17:16 PM »
One of the big reasons men gain weight, especially around their bellies, on methadone is low testosterone. I don't want to be a testosterone salesman (hormone therapy is a very personal choice) which I kinda feel like I'm becoming but its helped me tons. It can't hurt to get your levels checked... but I can pretty much guarantee you they are low. That being said, once you see *your* numbers on paper, it becomes real... at least that's how it was for me.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 06:40:23 PM »
I have been trying to get my numbers checked for a while my doctor sucks, I have asked him and brought it up 4 different times and he blows me off every time. Every male on my dads side has low T and got on it in there 30s and I am the only one who is an addict in my family but I am sure that has made it progress a bit more, I have a lot of the side effects of low T I just dont know if I should goto a doctor specifically for that or not, or what to do it's hard to find doctors that take medicaid who are taking patients.

Thanks for the info though guts! Was the change for you pretty drastic? Did you have any negative side effects? What improvements did you notice? My libido is almost non-existent which isn't normal for being 25 so I wouldn't mind having that back, and if it helped with motivation and weight loss I am sold.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts

• Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
Re: Paintball
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
For me, it was night and day man. I had no libido, I was fat, lazy, but worst of all I was depressed. At least that was the worst symptom for me. I had a really low mood. Testosterone fixed all of that. I just can't tolerate methadone without it.

The great thing about it is that it's an instant fix. It's chemical and it works. Testosterone is distilled manliness. You'll feel confident, your dick will work right, you'll have drive again and will just be ready to kick ass in general. It's especially great in the beginning when the feeling is new... it becomes normal after a while. Although I do start feeling "flat" if I go too long without a shot.

It is a huge commitment though man and there are some negatives.

First off, you're going to be infertile while on it. This will reverse itself once you come off.

You could get gynecomastia aka grow breasts. I had to deal with it and the surgery needed to get rid of it but it is 100% controllable as long as you use something alongside it to prevent your estrogen from spiking. I just did not do enough research and trusted a "friend".

It could speed up hair loss if you're predisposed to it. I never had problems with it but I think it has a lot to do with genetics.

It's going to stop your natural testosterone production and there's a good chance it will not restart once you come off. There are drugs that supposedly can help with this but I'm not so sure... I think they work okay if you're on a short cycle but I question how well they will work for someone whose been on it a long time. I think this is probably the biggest consequence... if you get off methadone, you might have to still continue the testosterone. For me, I feel like I'm going to be on it for a while so it seems worth it... and I needed a fix yesterday. You'll have to decide for yourself though...

There's other things but I think that's all the major stuff. I was purposely brief because there is just so much to it. I'd be happy to talk about it more though if you're considering it. There's a thread on here called methadone induced asexuality or something like that that has a lot of info. That being said, I'd strongly urge you to do your own research... even if you go to a doctor. It's not trivial to mess with your hormones...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 08:07:37 PM »
@Griffin, done.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Snout

• Reputation Power: 20
  • Snout is now quite familiar.Snout is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:September 28, 2023, 09:42:59 AM
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 11:00:50 PM »
Griffin, try eating dried fruits instead of candy, they are practically as sweet, and they provide some nutrition with the sugar. Medjool dates are my favorite, found with the fresh produce. Dried figs are super sweet. Apricots are good also. This helped me break my candy addiction. Now, I only indulge on the day after holidays when the candy is half price.
    Also, I had gained 50 pounds when on methadone for 6 years. I've been off it for a few years and I've lost all the weight. Try to find an excersise "buddy" to keep you motivated. Find someone who isn't a junkie.
     And, testosterone supposedly can be boosted through diet. They say celery(?!), eggs, almonds, macadamia nuts, avocados are all good. Seems to help me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:08:37 PM by Snout »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I myself have found a real rival in myself,
I am hoping for a re-arrival of my health- wilco

Z

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Have you seen this paintball video made to look like the division video game?   

Well you have now  ;D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »
That is pretty cool z, the tactical and scenario guns now look extremely like assault rifles, especially since the hoppers and air tanks aren't like they used to be and are either part of the gun or attached to you pack. I have only played one of those big scenario games where it was 75 on 75 and when you got hit you had to goto a respawn place and you were back in. It was a lot of fun I think it was a 5 hour game with an hour break in the middle.

The cameras, especially the go pros are so awesome now, the quality and the footage they get are amazing. I love the snowboard videos, I have a few friends that did a night one that was really cool. The paintball ones are cool too, it lets you see the paintballs going from your gun hitting people, and they are some really intense ones on youtube.

I am glad that the tournament paintball has changed, they stopped trying to put it on tv and espn, and started doing a webcast which is way better as far as quality, and everything else. Plus the way the reffing is done now is better, there used to be like 3 refs on the fields and cheating was so rampant. If there wasn't a ref next to the guy you were shooting you would have to shoot them repeatedly until they got off the field. All of the older videos like push show everyone getting 5-10 bonus balls every time because they didn't have penalties or a lot of refs.

I am going to play paintball tomorrow at the field I grew up at reffing, and playing for and a friend is giving me his equipment so that I don't have to use a crappy rental gun. The team I am trying out for just got 2nd in there division in the las vegas event, so hopefully I can get on there team and be able to play a few national tournaments this year.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Z

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 05:56:56 PM »
I'm honestly not much into it.  I have gone and shot some friends a few times,  but nothing serious. . You are right on with the go pros though.  The quality is just sublime for how small and easy to use they are.  Some of the shots in that video would have taken complicated expensive rigs to film otherwise.  It's like the democratization of action sports hype.  It's no longer just big guys with sponsors shooting video. . Everyone is!  The quality of the sport has just exploded because of that imo.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Esoteric Anhydride

• I <3 Mods
  • Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Esoteric Anhydride has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:October 14, 2019, 06:26:54 AM
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »
Griffin riding a skate won't help you much on a snowboard. You can't flex a sk8 for one, and when you're a better rider you probably will be flexing the board while turning. Also you can't just jump off a snowboard when you fuck up. They really behave pretty differently.

IME there really aren't a lot of similarities between skating and riding; you're not attached to a skate, a snowboard is MUCH bigger and behaves MUCH differently than a skate.

If you're falling going from heelside to toeside, you're catching the front edge. I'm not much of a snowboarder, but you gotta avoid that front-side edge like herpes; whether you hop or get up on the nose and rotate or whatever -- catch the front side edge and you're gonna eat snow, or worse break bones. It's gotta become one motion moving from heel to toe-side. Basically the toe-side edge can't ever be below the heel-side.

And here's some unsolicited advice from a skier to an new snowboarder. In a snowboard, WHEN you get stuck in the flats and have to get out of the board, so you can sink 5' down and spend the rest of the day trying to find your way back to the groomers (but hey, at least you've got that $400 liferaft to keep you from not moving an inch; consider skis next time.

The problem(s) with slowboards is: when they run out of gravity, you can't walk w/out getting out of the board (so just how deep is that snow?) cos both feet are stuck to the same piece of plastic; they ruin mogul fields (dur, what's a mogul); they think the blind spots in the middle of fast runs or the LZ for that monster table-top is a great place to smoke blunts (take that shit to the woods - do you stop in the middle of the fucking highway and burn blunts there too?); and they can't clear the fucking lift before they spend the next ten minutes strapping on boots (if you can't ride that thing 50 yards with only one boot strapped on, go take some more fucking lessons).

Please, don't be like this. And yes: definitely TAKE LESSONS. Snowboarding is EASY. 1-2 hrs of lessons will make the whole season WAY more fun.

And lastly, just buy some skis. Slowboards are the easier, softer way - just learn to ski. In the end: you'll be glad you did, and your wrists (and tailbone) will thank you. Unless you aspire to live in the park fist bumping your broski park-rats, just learn to ski. Yes it's harder, but it's WAY worth it. And you doing rad tricks in a park on skis earns way more respect anyway..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Taytoechip

• Above average blanket-fort builder
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Taytoechip is working their way up.Taytoechip is working their way up.Taytoechip is working their way up.
  • Last Login:August 04, 2016, 02:16:36 PM
  • magical leopluradon
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 06:17:08 PM »
Speaking of the webcast, this one time the dickhead in the video at 3:34 below lost in the finals at world cup for the 2nd year in a row  :'(
=223
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No one ever plans to sleep out in the gutter
Sometimes that's just the most comfortable place

Offline cpwhyme

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • cpwhyme is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 23, 2017, 06:38:53 AM
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
I know the current discussion is about paintball but couldnt help noticing the snowboarding comments. I think the best thing you can do @Griffin is just try to get out there more. It takes a few times but you will get it. Lessons may help if you keep having probs but try following your more advanced friends if they have the patience for you. Speed is important and is your friend although that may be counterintuitive. Avoid flats n traverses, they will demoralize and annoy you. You will feel sore n beat up if you only go once or twice a yr as you wont really have good fitness in the muscles you use for the sport. It is normal.

Ski vs slo....:-) a classic conflict that will always exist. I just see them as two different sports, each has its advantage. I skied for many yrs and never thought I would strap on a snowboard but the surfy feeling you get riding long powder runs imho just is not equaled on skies. Skiing is a bit more technical in powder n steeps. Snowboarding is easier and more forgiving once you master the basics. Personally I also think that boards tend to handle variable conditions much better than skies. To each their own tho...the two modalities having to co-exist within a resort, always going to see conflicts.

Regardless of the tool you use it is always great to get high on a mtn, in winter in the crispy cold with lots of snow. @Griffin I think you mentioned colorado. Any chance you can get out for a few turns during your visit? Probably crowded due to the holidays but maybe a good distraction....and good luck with the paintball adventure.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal