dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 9824 times)

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 04, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »
I don't think Windows 10 is all that different from Windows 7.  The only major change I can see is the appearance.  It's like they took the old interface windows / options and clothed them in a new look. 

For instance, instead of going to the old control panel, you know have that settings box.  But if you want, you can still go to the Windows 7 control panel.  Pretty much the same with other settings. 

The other major difference I think is the addition of OneDrive and Cortana, neither of which I've used or set up. 

I did have one problem a few weeks ago, where upon startup, the task bar and start menu would freeze.  Those only worked once you pushed the power button and forced the system to shut down.  Upon restart it was normal. 

I look it up on various computer forum and sites, and lots of other people have had, or were having, that problem.  The consensus seemed to be that it was caused by a Windows Update being installed.  A week or so later, the next Windows Update fixed it.  So no more of that shit happening. 

I think there are still kinks that will inevitably be worked out.  But IMO, that type of thing wouldn't happen with Apple products.  If I had the money, I'd go back to an Apple MacBook or MacBook Pro.  I liked my old Powerbook. 

And when did programs turn into apps?  I understand that smartphones use apps, but Windows 10 lists everything as apps.  No more programs.  I thought that was odd. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 08:53:41 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 11:54:12 AM »
"apps." or "applications", same old thing. i was once a PL/I applications programmer, among other things, about 37 years ago so it's a very old term.

we just all have to get used to it ... such is technology; putting a new spin (and a name, too) on old terms and concepts.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:56:51 AM by Chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Morfy

• Free Falling Around The World
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 01:44:51 AM
  • Enjoying the stelliferous era--while it lasts
    • THE DRUGS AND USERS CHAT ROOM
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 07:14:01 AM »
I'm a recent Win 10 guy, although back in the day, I started with Mac/Apple, etc....

I too found the change in terminology from Programs to Apps a little disconcerting: the change means nothing.

I have Programs on my Laptop running Win 7, that I loaded onto my new device running Win 10, which now refers to the same program as an App.

I think MS did this to appeal to the younger crowd, who are more used to up-loading Apps to their smartphones; might be more comfortable adding Apps to their computers/tablets. 

I would make a distinction that an App is usually a small, innocuous program; whereas a Program is typically larger, more-intensive with greater function.

Basically agreeing with Chipster, its a new label for the same old thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Morfy's WHAT'S IN A NAME ?? SECTION   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1- Doctor asks you: "Would you rather get 10mg of Diamorph, or 10mg of Heroin?"
2- Abducting aliens ask you: "Would you rather drink dihydrogen monoxide, or Water?"
3- Physical Education Coach asks you: "Would you rather run 5km, or 3.1 miles?"
4- European hotel concierge asks: "Do you prefer your room at 20oC, or 293K?"
5- Scottish bartender asks you: "Would you prefer a pint of heavy, or 473.2mL of bitter ale?"
6- Significant other asks you: "Do you want to have sex, or make love?" 

Feel free to add you own samples (without derailing this thread) :)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:21:39 AM by Morfy »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
All matter is simply cooled and condensed energy.

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal