dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Student loans  (Read 5977 times)

Offline theSWPK (OP)

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
Student loans
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »
I've been really wanting to get back to school but the only way it's going to happen is if I take out a fuckload of loans.
I've had 2 years of college but the money ran out and here I am. It really sucks, I had enough in savings and stocks to complete 4 or 5 years, but an unfortunate circumstance arose and I gave all I had to make sure my grandfather was comfortable in his last year.

I don't know much about student loans.
Can any of my US friends fill me in on this? Are there any no cosigner loans I can take out with junky credit? Federal loans?

I'm flying through my twenties and to miss out on this would be a terrible waste. I think about it everyday.
I can't get FAFSA because I let my stepfather claim me as a dependant in exchange for health insurance. I can't go without healthcare, I've got some SERIOUS dental work I need done.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
Re: Student loans
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 11:40:49 AM »
Student loans can be a very long topic. In short, unless you have outstanding federal loans already, you can get federal loans and almost certainly a Pell grant as well.

But you mentioned something at the end--Do you have Medicaid? Did your state accept the Medicaid expansion? Do you have a job? A job that that pays federal taxes and you are Not paid under the table? Even if you do it's possible you may still qualify for Medicaid. If so have you applied for Medicaid?

Medicaid covers all Dr. visits, hospitals, prescriptions, dental, and vision.

Being broke means doing a lot of paperwork, research, and running around.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK (OP)

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 12:11:17 PM »
Unemployed. I have blue cross of California as Healthcare from my family. No outstanding loans.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »
Do you know if it's a PPO or HMO?

And do they cover Dental?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 12:29:51 PM »
So for me I have terrible credit, and I got back into college in 2014 which has been awesome for me because I really like it. The main thing I am going to express is looking into scholarships and pell grants. Do you already have your associates? If not then are you going to a community college because they are affordable here. If you have a good gpa then scholarships are actually pretty easy and plentiful, and pell grants for the most part are based on how much money you make.

My first year I got $8000 in 2 grants and a scholarship. I was lucky because I enrolled through the homeless shelter I was at and because of that I was given a $5500 pell grant. My pell grant this year was $2100 for 2 semesters and then I got a $2000 colorado student grant and the COF fund which is another $2000. Grants are based upon how many hours your enrolled in. I am taking 10 hours which is 3/4 time so I only got $4500 which is 3/4 of the $6000 for the year. I don't have to pay a cent of it back which is awesome!

If you have over a 2.0 you can usually get 2000-4000 in just scholarships and school grants. There are a ton of programs so ask your financial aid office and look online because there are a ton out there that aren't hard to get. As for getting a federal loan with out a co-signer that was easy for me since I had didn't have any school loans before. If you have previous school loans that are outstanding then you may have to get a co-signer. If they are just deferred then you shouldn't.

How much do you know about federal loans? For the most part you don't have to pay them while you are currently in school, I am not sure how they match up to private loans but I assume the interest rates are much lower. You can sometimes also get billed for one semester but I don't recommend that as you can't enroll until your past balance has been paid off. That is the reason why I can't goto school in OK and had to wait until I was 24 and in CO to go. I had a $2000 balance so I couldn't enroll to get aid anywhere in Okla because of it.

I think I made $20,000 in 2014 and my Pell grant was $2100 to give you a little bit of an idea of how much grants are based on income. Good luck, I'd fill out your fafsa form if you have already done your tax return to see what your EFC(estimated family contribution) is which is what they base your pell grants on. Also to see if there is anything in your way of getting federal student loans. Are you older than 24? That is the age where they deem you independent and stop going off your parents tax returns I lived on my own since 17 but still had to wait till I was 24.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts

• Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 12:32:06 PM »
To my understanding, most "health" insurance plans don't cover vision or dental. They are usually separate insurances.

I have dental insurance that's about $16 a month. It cuts the price of most things in half. It's weird though, the dentist said the insurance doesn't pay her anything... I guess it's just to get people in the door or something? I have reason to believe shes telling the truth... I had to make her my primary dentist for the insurance to work with her and that'd take a month to kick in. Instead of just making me wait, she just gave me the cash price it'd be under the plan because she said it didn't make a difference anyways.

About school, what field of study are you looking into?

One way to keep costs down could be to attend a community college to get an associates degree and your core classes done and then transfer to a full 4 year university. Classes at Houston Community College are about $200 each or so... quite a bit cheaper than even University of Houston.

Another thing is you could look into online colleges. I think that online classes are usually cheaper than in class classes.

With student loans, one great thing is that they will be deferred until you graduate. They will still accrue interest but you don't have to start making payments until, hopefully, you're working. I think they give you 6 months after you graduate until you have to start paying.

As long as you don't have a felony on your record, I don't think you'll have a problem qualifying for student loans.

Also, like Jega said, a Pell Grant if you can qualify. That is basically free money that you don't have to pay back. I think it's tied to keeping good grades too though... I'm not sure exactly what the requirements are but I know they are more stringent than loans. Maybe look into other scholarships too?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:34:16 PM by Guts »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK (OP)

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
Jega, hmo. Yes dental.

Last year was rough. Started with me getting booted out of a job for being on methadone after driving across the fuming country. Then rehab. Then relapse. I made $0 on paper. Year before I made 45 and blew it all on dope.

No associates yet. And totally for community college. Good one nearby. I want to finish my associates there then go to Ole Miss.

I've done mostly core classes, have 4 of those out of the way from scoring 5s on AP test in high school. I was in a previous pharmacy program but now I'm considering petrochemical or geology. 

I need to move over to Mobile AL, they have a methadone clinic 1 mile from their community college. If I don't get on done I know I'm going to blow all my money on heroin and oxym. I want to live a normal life, but my love of opiates brings an existential crisis. 

I'm aiming at getting top and bottom arch implants and rear. But that's a fuckload of money. If I don't go to school and work my trade I can afford it but then I'm struck by the problem of being out of school. Catch 22.

My last good job was ideal. 5pm to 3am and make a grand a week. Could've done school during the day. Got laid off and the yard got crippled from a lawsuit and shut down.

Sorry for the book.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline AllNightLong

• Reputation Power: 15
  • AllNightLong is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 04, 2017, 03:34:28 PM
  • Broke but not sick
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 01:12:04 PM »
I had to take out $54000 for my BA in Electronics Engineering and I am now paying $550 a month on that loan.  I have managed to knock it down to $47000 in a little over a year but the end is not in sight.  Was it worth it?  Yes, I make good money and work for a great company.  However, if I had to do it again I would look into scholarships.  I graduated with a 3.98 gpa and made dean's list every semester as well.  I know with the grades that I had I could have easily gotten a scholarship or four, but I was too lazy to apply.  I was also very busy working 30+ hours a week on top of going to school year round.  I managed to graduate in 3 years instead of 4 because I went year round and overloaded a couple of semesters so I could get done.

My advice is to either find scholarships or divorce your spouse if you have one so you can qualify for free money that you don't have to pay back.  Also some schools have a work option program where you can work for the school in exchange for tuition.  Unfortunately the school I went to didn't have that as an option cause I would have been all over that one for sure.  Good luck and weigh your options before you jump head first into a mountain of debt.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 01:14:30 PM »
OK Today is Saturday. Monday call your dentist. If you don't have one google "dentists [your zipcode], start making some calls to see if they accept your insurance and get a dentist. Get in as soon as you can. If something hurts, tell them, you'll probably get in faster.

I waited on dentistry and I lost a lot of back molars that had no choice but to be pulled. Don't do that to yourself.

Guts had some solid avoice about student Loans. You'll almost certainly qualify for Federal loans. And a Pell grant should entirely cover a Community college. Pell grants wont pay out more than the tuition costs though. And since you have 2 years under your belt I don't think you would be going to a Community college.

You can get a lot in scholarships and grants though the school. Make an appointment with the financial aid office as soon. There are deadlines to file paperwork for those.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline theSWPK (OP)

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
I've been avoiding the dentist due to the overwhelming shame. I need some benzos to even talk to dude. My molars are fucked. It's rough man. He's going to know I'm a dope head. His son died of an OD.

I do miss having the nitrous on with headphones. I always turn it up when theu leave. One time I almost asphyxiated in the chair while simultaneously breaking through the galactic barrier.

Also, no spouse or girlfriend. Fuck splitting your shots with a partner. I do miss being injected by a girl though. Damn.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:30:45 PM by theSWPK »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »
I avoided dentists too man. A dental Abscess is a crappy way to get some 5mg Vicodin. While you have insurance get this shit taken care off. I've been there and I really wish I had done it sooner.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal