dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Questions about 'Iso Hash'  (Read 6335 times)

Offline Delta9Tetra (OP)

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Delta9Tetra is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 18, 2016, 06:58:00 PM
  • Sup
Questions about 'Iso Hash'
« on: April 16, 2016, 11:44:58 AM »
So I'm planning on making some iso hash and had a few question for those well versed in the subject.
First off, I know obviously the more the better but is there a minimum amount required to even attempt it?
I ask because I'm basically going to give my 2 grinders a wash,
they are both very caked in kief and whatnot and both have kief catcher.
I've been letting the kief collect there's not a ton but enough that you cant see the color of the bottom.
Also, I've been collecting the stems off the nugs I've been smoking.
Without my scale in front of me I'd guess about  a 1/8th (~3.5g) worth of high-quality bud stems.
I also just been throwing the shake from every bag, along with misc. pieces of nug I find all over my desk.

So I guess my overall question is, do you think I have enough thc / cbd btwn the grinders and the stems to perform a wash?
Or should I continue to collect stems and kief, and if so when would you judge it to be enough?

On a side note, I was wondering about ecigs, vapes whatever you wanna call them and their use with extracts.
I've seen/used vapes that had some form of extract dissolved into their standard PG/VG juice.
When I came across it IRL the person who owned it wasn't knowledgeable on it and just bought a few tanks full of this solution from his dealer.
Does anyone have any experience in this and can explain a little more how this is done?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MoeMentim

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • MoeMentim is now quite familiar.MoeMentim is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
Re: Questions about 'Iso Hash'
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »
If it were me I wouldn't bother with the stems, anything worthwhile is sitting on the surface from being in contact with the buds.  If you can clean the keif out of the grinders without alcohol I'd just smoke it as is. The fact that it's a small amount isn't going to help matters any, it's a pain cleaning the last of the oil off your utensils & if you're only making a small amount...   
 But if you want to do it the most important thing to end up with a strong oil that doesn't taste like crap is to keep the water soluble stuff out of the end product. Doing a quick wash with cold alcohol is the most popular way but I prefer to use 100% iso (might be 99.something%, I forget).  Definitely get the highest % alcohol you can find.  70% is th most common but you can find 90%(or something like that).  I used to get the 100% from an industrial supply place but you might be able to order some online.  Another way is to boil the buds in water first to get rid of the unwanted stuff.  Dry it completely in the oven - at a very low temp, then do the iso wash.  Nobody really does it this way but it works, there isn't anything you want in the water, dump it.

Alcohol fumes are flammable, do the evaporating outside or at the very least in a well ventilated space with fans moving the fumes outside.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Delta9Tetra (OP)

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Delta9Tetra is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 18, 2016, 06:58:00 PM
  • Sup
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 04:33:12 PM »
I think my point came across a little unclear.. :-\
I wasn't asking how to make qwiso as I have done it enough times to know the in's and outs of the qwiso game.
I wouldn't use normal stems either, the only ones I collect have trichomes along the stem's epidermis. I always have anhydrous iso on hand, plus I already knew to put the alcohol in the freezer. If you didn't know already you should also be putting your plant material [bud, stems etc.] in the freezer for a few hours also, in a jar or other air-tight container.

Guess my question still stands  :-[
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 06:15:06 PM »
IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE:

I would feel terrible if someone was injured or damaged their property as a result of trying something the read about on here.

As Moe-mentim suggested, alcohol fumes are extremely flammable. When you're heating it (on an ELECTRIC stove or hot plate for God's sake), the fumes can get very thick. If you have the light set up right, you can actually see the shadow that they make.

BE CAREFUL WHEN EVAPORATING iPrOH! I have found this out the hard way before. Once, when doing a half-assed synth of methcathinone from pseudoephedrine, using KMnO4, I was evaporating alcohol from my finished product, on a fucking gas stove, can you believe that? Well, a flash fire resulted. Almost burned my apartment down. I tried to BLOW it out. Not happening! So, I just let it die down. Left a black smudge on the kitchen ceiling that I could never totally get to go away.

A flame does not have to actually touch the alcohol to start a fire! Fumes can travel several feet and will ignite with the smallest tiny little spark, even a lightswitch being tripped could do it, or the switch on an electric heating element might do it too. Just be careful with all that safety shit.

- Carry on, kids.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions