dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Scientists accidentally stumble on possible way to slow brain's ageing process  (Read 7573 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 05:29:51 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-12/scientists-may-have-worked-out-how-to-keep-brains-young/7924796

Scientists accidentally stumble on possible way to slow brain's ageing process

In an accidental discovery, researchers appear to have slowed the ageing process in the brains of laboratory mice, using ultrasounds or sound wave therapy.

Dr Robert Hatch, from the University of Queensland, said scientists had used the technique to stop the normal reduction in the structure of brain cells in the hippocampus — an important area for learning and memory — and were now envisioning a future where people could get their brains tuned up like a car.

However, he said the result had initially been a surprising one to the team of researchers.

"We didn't actually envision that this would have the effect it has," he said.

"I still remember I was doing some data analysis on Thursday night and said 'this can't be right' — and it was."

Dr Hatch said they had been continuing on the same thread as last year's research, where the team had discovered ultrasounds could be used to reverse Alzheimer's in mice.

The team of researchers had expected to confirm the therapy would not damage a healthy brain, which they did.

But then realised they had found something else — a way to slow down the brains ageing process.

"What we found is that by applying the ultrasound to these mice you could slow down or stop the change in the structure of these cells as the animals age."

to continue reading this article and to hear the associated audio file, take the source link.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline MoeMentim

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • MoeMentim is now quite familiar.MoeMentim is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
Sadly, it's too late for my brain.  I'm old(ish) and I've already put it through several lives worth of abuse.  Besides, I'm enjoying memory loss more and more.  For instance I can watch the same movie for the first time several times in succession. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions