dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Wisdom Teeth Removal  (Read 26813 times)

Offline Anesthesia (OP)

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Anesthesia is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:August 07, 2017, 01:04:13 PM
  • faded
Wisdom Teeth Removal
« on: September 03, 2015, 03:47:29 AM »
I will (hopefully) be going in to have all four of my wisdom teeth completely dug out in the next couple weeks here, depending on how much of my surgery Medica covers.

When I went in for my consultation they assured me I would be given a narcotic for post surgery pain.  Have any of you had experience with this? What did they give you?

I'm sure I will get 15 5/500 vicodin, as this is what I got for my last surgery, but have heard tell of people getting 30 5mg Percs with two refills!!   Has anyone else had this experience? I've also heard of people getting a bottle of Tylenol 3 and some 500mg ibuprofen, hopefully that isn't the case.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
Re: Wisdom Teeth Removal
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 03:58:51 AM »
Everything go ok? Get your pills filled already?Could they pull all 4 or did some or  all have to be cut out?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 05:03:38 AM »
When I got mine out they put me under with anesthesia and then took them out and sent me home. When they gave me the anesthesia they told me to count back from 100 but said I was laughing to hard to count but made it about 7 seconds. I was out the whole day and was 15 at the time. I got a bottle of 60 lortab 7.5s and they were gone in about 4 days. Then I got dry sockets because I started dipping the day after I had them out and got another bottle and did the same thing. My mom had her gallbladder removed a few months prior and had about 55 of her 60 perk 10s left with a refill left so I took all her meds and got her refill too and took them all and was out of everything within 2 weeks.

My mom is a beast she has the highest pain tolerance of anyone I have met my oldest brother does too. She shattered her ankle and her shoulder 6 months apart and only took narcotics in the hospital because she required surgery both times. When she got home she only took maybe 5 of her pain pills both times and took tylenol the rest of the time.

This was the first time I had ever had opiates except when I was like 5 and crushed my finger in a car door. They gave me codeine for the broken finger and stitches at the hospital and I was bouncing off the walls. They had to give me tranquilizers to calm me down.

I loved the lortabs and percocets and I knew that if I ever tried them again I would be an addict. Once they were out I kept trying to get refills for everything and once they wouldn't give them to me I vowed to never try and get opiates again or take them. Fast forward 5 years someone had lortabs at a party and I took one and sense that day I have taken opiates every day except when withdrawaling and trying to stay clean after. From the time I took them at that party I took them every day until I became addicted and continued until I was an IV user and homeless and finally found methadone.

Sorry for the derail it was just one memory that always stuck with me because I knew when I took them after having my wisdom teeth taken out that I would be addicted to them if I ever tried them again and I remember it vividly.

Griffin
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline alpha

• Regular
  • alpha is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 28, 2023, 10:00:06 AM
  • Just another day in paradise
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 05:17:50 AM »
I got mine taken out back in 1983, and it was my first taste of opiates.  They had to break my jaw in 2 places to get them out, and then sent me home with percocet, but I quickly called back and said they weren't helping.  Got a script for 30 4mg dilaudids, knew they would be great for recreation, suffered through the pain with the percs, and enjoyed the dilaudids after my mouth had healed.  Thus began the long journey down Poppy Road.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
RIP Chemboy, Entropy, Paups, Than, Dr. McKay, GnD, Poonwalla, Southernbelle, goagirl, lalifer, Eon, Count Zero

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 07:50:40 AM »
I went to my childhood dentist first.  My wisdom teeth were barely coming in, so they were mostly impacted.  They'd have to be cut out.  I was concerned about pain and asked him prior to the procedure "how should I deal with the pain afterwards?"  He said I'd only have to take Tylenol.  I jumped up from the chair and immediately left, saying I'm not going to let this happen without proper pain control.  I was 19 at the time and my mother was with me.  She was mortified.  Besides, I was just getting into drugs and my RN sister told me I'd probably get a script for Vicodin.  I wanted to try that.  Plus, I really was concerned about the pain.  Fuck surgery with no pain meds. 

Fast forward a few years and my wisdom teeth are now fully in.  My mouth is bursting with teeth and little space.  I went to an oral surgeon this time.  They gave me nitrous oxide when I first got into the room, then fentanyl and versed via IV for the procedure.  When I went home I got a script for 16 7.5mg hydro.  They were gone in about two days.  I also got a script for antibiotics.  I was considering trying to get dry socket for more meds.  Smoking (one of the causes) didn't cause it though. 

I got my best score from a dentist right after I graduated college.  I had a lot of cavities, and the dentist took 2-3 out each week over the course of 6 weeks.  Each week I'd get a script for 16 10mg hydro.  I also got one before I even went in b/c my sister was friends with the dental staff.  I was in mild pain, played it up, she called and said I had an upcoming appointment, so they called it in.  After that I started buying poppy pods, that progressed, and here I am.

I think it depends on your doctor.  Also if it's a dentist or an oral surgeon.  Some get nothing, some small scripts of hydro, some get larger scripts, some get percs or better.  It just depends. 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline St. Theresa

• Reputation Power: 0
  • St. Theresa has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 06, 2018, 09:37:13 PM
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 09:26:25 PM »
The ibuprofen will help swelling and pain from inflammation better than any opiate when it comes to tooth pain from a rct or extraction. But if you get any Vicodin consider yourself lucky. Get some ice packs, and don't smoke or use a straw. If you must smoke, place fresh gauze over the sockets and again after smoking. Don't eat anything small like rice that can get trapped. And don't rinse and spit. You need to keep that clot there or you'll risk getting a dry socket.

Good luck and feel better.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. "I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs."
"I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking."
"Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!"
"Shut up! Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control."-BH

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 04:03:49 AM »
The ibuprofen will help swelling and pain from inflammation better than any opiate when it comes to tooth pain from a rct or extraction. But if you get any Vicodin consider yourself lucky. Get some ice packs, and don't smoke or use a straw. If you must smoke, place fresh gauze over the sockets and again after smoking. Don't eat anything small like rice that can get trapped. And don't rinse and spit. You need to keep that clot there or you'll risk getting a dry socket.

Good luck and feel better.

All That. Do That.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lolleedee

• La Dee Da Dee Da!
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Lolleedee is now quite familiar.Lolleedee is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 04, 2021, 04:52:15 PM
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 06:26:49 AM »
What my fellow CDA , St. T said!  I just want to reiterate..NO SMOKING, NO SUCKING THROUGH STRAWS, NO SUCKING ANYTHING FOR 72 HOURS!!!!  Also, if you use dip...don't!  All the above mentioned can lead to dry socket and if you get one, you will wish for death!!!  They hurt like hell and even if they give you an opiate for a dry socket it will not even touch the throbbing in your face and head!

I have found that most oral surgeons, IF they give a narcotic at all, tend to favor Vicodin or Vicoprofen.  They take all the fun out of surgery!!!!

Good luck with the surgery!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
...Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For you are crunchy and good with ketchup...

Offline Poppy

• Regular
  • SA_Chat+
  • Poppy is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 06, 2020, 03:39:08 PM
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 07:15:10 AM »
I have to chime in and say count yourself lucky that you live in the US not the UK. Here they just use local anaesthetic to remove the teeth and the only take home script you' might get would be one for antibiotics, and instructions to take ibuprofen and/or paracetamol. Severely impacted wisdom teeth might warrant a general anaesthetic, but no script for post operative pain.

There's a reason Brits are famous for having shit teeth and its basically a lack  of pain relief post procedures and sedation when undergoing the procedur.

Of course if you are rich enough to go private you can probably expect a similar experience to that which you guys receive.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »
how timely; i just lost two out of twelve teeth to be pulled.

dying for a smoke but trying to kick Nicotine and freaking out about developing "dry socket" ... hey, i worry a bit.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:29:47 PM by Chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Sand and Water

• Sand and Water has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:March 16, 2016, 06:27:41 AM
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 06:41:23 PM »
how timely; i just lost two out of twelve teeth to be pulled.

dying for a smoke but trying to kick Nicotine and freaking out about developing "dry socket" ... hey, i worry a bit.

Along with ibuprofen, You *can* do SUPER GENTLE salt water rinses; as said above, absolutely no spitting, just let it run out of your mouth. It tastes like crap, but really helps bring down swelling & flush out foreign particles.   Also, no drinking from a straw or soda containers. This will sound dirty, but I don't know how else to say it- suction is bad-- it will up the chances of dry socket.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
thanks Zoops but I'm counting on the meth. induced blood thickening and faster clotting (side effects of stimulants) will make that baby clot quickly and well.

I have the salt water on hand and can't help but worry about dry socket.

the dentist also prescribed antibiotics but I'm going to avoid them unless I absolutely have too.

so do you agree that meth may actually help here ?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline Anesthesia (OP)

• Regular
  • Anesthesia is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:August 07, 2017, 01:04:13 PM
  • faded
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 11:59:13 PM »
thanks Zoops but I'm counting on the meth. induced blood thickening and faster clotting (side effects of stimulants) will make that baby clot quickly and well.

the dentist also prescribed antibiotics but I'm going to avoid them unless I absolutely have too.

I have yet to have mine pulled but the day of the surgery is quickly approaching.

Why don't you want to take your antibiotics? 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline OxyOpanaAlphaOmega

• OxyOpanaAlphaOmega is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 13, 2019, 05:57:00 AM
  • feelin heroic
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 05:33:08 AM »

No methamphetamine is a toxic deadly drug it helps with nothing, not a single thing
Sorry to be blunt but you tend to glorify meth like its a natural aid or some kind in a lot of posts; it's not at all

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 05:59:49 AM »
this site was built with meth.

it gives me the motivation and desire to pursue such tasks ... no way would I have attempted to work on computer systems like this (that i don't know well) now that I am out of a work environment.

you are right - to me, it's a wonder drug that enables me to produce much quality output so without meth, we wouldn't be here chatting now.

It's not toxic it's just a very potent stimulant that i use weekly ... with NO physical dependency.

yep, I love my opiates too but they always end up with me being chained to the drug, the clinic and my doctor.

so crystal meth it is ... you don't like being stimulated ? why not ? that rush of the dopamine release, in the short term, is bliss !
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:04:38 AM by Chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions