dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Price of Narcan  (Read 13466 times)

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Price of Narcan
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
Do you think the government is going to ever step in and stop these pharm companies from raising the price of Narcan anymore. I have heard a lot of reports and the price has gone up like 400% in no time all because the demand is now higher. That doesn't make any sense, why would the price go up if you are selling more and able to lower costs from mass production.

Do you think that needle exchanges should give IV users and others who know how to use the vial and needle IM method the vials of narcan instead of the intranasal ones to keep costs down? Do you think that would allow more people to have it and save enough money to implement a strategy like that? I think that if emergency workers, and people who were knowledgable used the IM narcan more often that it could potentially save money. I'm not sure if they do, but I have only seen the intranasal for the last year so I don't think they do.

If the NX isn't buying it and only writing prescriptions maybe that option should be more available at pharmacies especially for people who don't have insurance. I am not sure what the price difference is but have heard that the intranasal devices are more expensive, if anyone knows about the prices please chime in. In the last year I have only seen the intranasal kind given out and sold at pharmacies. I just hope that whatever strategies gets narcan into more peoples hands is what we need to do.

I really hope that someone stops these companies from buying politicians and writing their own regulations so that they can make mass profit. I guess it is like the saying goes pharm companies are here to sell pills and make money not cure anything. This has gotten so out of hand these past few years and there is no valid argument for the rising price. Where does it end or does it? I just don't understand how they can sleep at night knowing that they are making millions of dollars off peoples sickness and people are dying because they want more money.

I don't know if we will ever see change, on one hand the government is buying a lot of it for use by police officers, medics, etc but on the other they are getting paid off by these people to keep their mouths shut. The will only continue getting paid and being re-elected by making sure that these companies are able to have mass profits. I mean how can they blatantly just quadruple their price just because demand for the drug has risen substantially. This goes against everything that the field of medicine should be about, saving sick people.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:17:31 PM by chipper »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Poppy

• Regular
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Poppy is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:February 06, 2020, 03:39:08 PM
Re: Price of Narcan
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:01:49 PM »
A recent development in the UK is that our clinics are now handing out naloxone kits and a short lesson on how to use  them on request free of charge.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:55:35 PM »
A recent development in the UK is that our clinics are now handing out naloxone kits and a short lesson on how to use  them on request free of charge.

I wish that was how it was in the US. I really do. Simple and straightforward.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Snout

• Reputation Power: 20
  • Snout is now quite familiar.Snout is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:September 28, 2023, 09:42:59 AM
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »
Jega, I guess it depends on in which city one lives. I'm in Seattle, and here, you go to the needle exchange, watch a 7 minute video, ask any questions to the persons working, they write you a script, you take script to pharmacy in the same building, and you get 2 doses of Narcan, for free! I saved a very close friends life with Narcan!!!! The needle exchange here rocks!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I myself have found a real rival in myself,
I am hoping for a re-arrival of my health- wilco

Offline Jega

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
I wish there was a centralised source of information for people in the US to learn where you can get simple and straightforward access to Narcan. Break it down by state and then city. That could easily be a lifesaver!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline itsmainline

• Reputation Power: 2
  • itsmainline is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 12, 2019, 03:58:14 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »
Jega, I guess it depends on in which city one lives. I'm in Seattle, and here, you go to the needle exchange, watch a 7 minute video, ask any questions to the persons working, they write you a script, you take script to pharmacy in the same building, and you get 2 doses of Narcan, for free! I saved a very close friends life with Narcan!!!! The needle exchange here rocks!

Same in nyc

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 04:48:51 PM »
That's how it is in denver as well they started in the middle of last year. My clinic also does a monthly class that shows you how to use it and comes with a prescription. I am not sure if it was a new federal policy or if it was just a few states that did this, but it allows pharmacists and drug counselors, and some other people write prescriptions for it. They are required to write you a script if you ask for one in a pharmacy now here.

I definitely think there needs to be a website or app for that, and am surprised that there isn't a decent one already. I guess I will put that on my list of apps to build any ideas of things that should be on it. I am hoping all of this is the beginning of a step in the right direction towards HR policies.

Maybe since its election time that some people will be at the end of the term and will be a little bit more ballsy when it comes to writing and signing HR driven policies. I think the best thing we can hope for is that it turns into politicians trying to one up each other by pushing the envelope further and seeing who can write the most and best HR policies like the did with giving people more and more prison time except not completely idiotic and helpful.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SPARKSFLY666

• Reputation Power: 7
  • SPARKSFLY666 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 05, 2016, 08:16:57 PM
  • NO STRANGLING ON SCHOOLDAYS
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 04:54:06 PM »
In NY some NX do training that includes a free Kit, others charge 12$. There is also a bi-weekly thirty minute free course at some upstate hospitals (not sure about NYC) that will also give IM vials. If anyone wants locations feel free to PM me.. I'm assuming that the harm reduction here trumps any sourcing policy's yeah? If not feel free reprimand me. Preferably water boarding, something about drowning slowly is just so appealing.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
White and blue and bloody red, Stars and Stripes for the misled...

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »
Nasal dosers are $20 no prescription required in Massachusetts. THe new auto-dosing injecting devices (that have audio instructions when activated) are several hundred but many are being given away and prices are expeted to drop as demnd increases and supply catches up.

On a side note, I have long wondered if in an emergency if you mixed up a buprenorphine tablet and injected it IM if it would reverse an OD. The precipitated withdrawl would suck (if the victim has  habit, they don' happen if you don't ) but it would beat being dead. You could also drop one under the victim's tongue but I don't think it would take effect quickly enough depending on the severity of the overdose.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:12:34 AM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Snout

• Reputation Power: 20
  • Snout is now quite familiar.Snout is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:September 28, 2023, 09:42:59 AM
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
I have never tried it, but I have been told that an IM bupe shot will reverse a heroin overdose.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I myself have found a real rival in myself,
I am hoping for a re-arrival of my health- wilco

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 01:31:34 AM »
I have never tried it, but I have been told that an IM bupe shot will reverse a heroin overdose.

In a state where they don't have a "Good Samaritan Law" granting immunity to someone who dials 911 in an overdose I'd try whipping up a buprenorphine shot IM before calling 911 and having cops swarm the house. Good trick to have up your sleeve.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline candy

• Founders
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • candy has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 22, 2019, 03:23:09 PM
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 06:36:30 AM »
Here are some links to getting Narcan.
The link for Washington has a search bar on the page where you an enter the city and state to find a program or Narcan.
Below is another site I found that seems to sell Narcan and I didn't see anywhere that you need a script.
Worth giving it a try. I am going to sign up and see what happens.

http://stopoverdose.org/

http://www.naloxone-hydrochloride.com/

http://naloxoneinfo.org/

www.broadwaymall.org/core/products/narcan-naloxone.php

There are a few places I have listed to try and purchase Narcan.

It should be available without a script and in every damn state and country.

How many people have to overdose and die before it becomes available to everyone who needs it.

I apologize that the previous links I posted yesterday may have not worked. They should be good to go now.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Hope this makes it easier?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:19:01 AM by candy »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Harm Reduction...
Enables choices, possibilities, and opportunities without imposing change.

Offline candy

• Founders
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • candy has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 22, 2019, 03:23:09 PM
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 06:44:37 AM »
I am not sure if bup will reverse an overdose. I have heard and read it will not!
Best thing to do is get your hands on Narcan and keep it handy.

Good Samaritan law or not, if you are using with someone who overdoses, get help or administer the Narcan.
I could never leave someone alone to die.

If you need to call 911, just let them know that the person is unconscious.
You say it is a drug overdose and you are likely to get police along with medics.
I am pretty sure Nick put up a great deal of literature on the subject.

Even if you have to pay $50 bucks for Narcan, it is worth the money. You go out or a friend does, you are likely to die if no one is sure what to do.

Check with your NEX if you have one near you about getting Narcan.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Harm Reduction...
Enables choices, possibilities, and opportunities without imposing change.

Offline Griffin (OP)

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »
Thats good info candy thanks, and thank you who ever fixed my incorrect spelling for the thread title. I hope we start seeing some decent change, and hopefully the numbers speak for themselves this year, as most states passed regulations to make it easier to get narcan. I will definitely be interested to see the OD numbers and the death from OD numbers from this year compared to the last 5. Way more people that I know have it, and know how to use it now compared to a year ago, hopefully widespread use is common this year.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 12:12:51 PM »
Thank you Candy!

I still wish all this information was centralised and all accessible online without the need for any phone calls, broken down by state and county, but those websites are a huge help!

And yes, if there is a minimal cost associated with getting Narcan where you live--Pay It! A human life, yours or a friend of yours is priceless and if this forum has two primary missions I would say (this is just me personally) it's to Educate and Save Lives!

Think about how good you would feel is you saved your friends life. That's with a couple dollars.

As far as suboxone as a emergency medicine goes, I've yet to see a report where that successfully worked, and even if it was in liquid suspension in a needle (and i'm not even sure it's water soluble) I don't believe it would work fast enough. Narcan is used for a reason. Get it!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions