dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: 10 days in hell  (Read 7744 times)

Offline Opi-ette (OP)

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Opi-ette is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 05, 2021, 02:27:50 PM
  • “I can resist everything except temptation.”
10 days in hell
« on: November 10, 2016, 03:07:21 PM »
Hey everyone, its been quite a ride the last 10 days and I'm so glad to be upright.
It started Halloween night. I was standing in the kitchen when this feeling of dread
came over me along with projectile vomiting and diarrhea. Couldn't even make it to the bathroom.
(apologies ahead of time for the grossness of this thread). I knew right away I was having
a colitis attack. My 3rd in as many years. The usual protocol in the ER is a few bags of IV saline, antibiotics, nausea meds, and a bag and 2 horse pills of potassium. The morphine is heavenly obv.
I was so violently sick, I couldn't even pick up the phone to dial 911. Even if I could by some miracle make the call, I couldn't speak so I knew I'd have a long 5 or 6 days of hell ahead of me.
To top it off, I couldn't keep down any meds so I was cold turkeying from benzo's and opiates. I wasn't getting more than 15 mins of sleep at a time (if that). The second I would take even the smallest sip of water, I would go in to a violent throw up session. I ran out of toilet paper so I was using my towels to wipe with and was throwing up on to piles of clothes and robes so the puke wouldn't get all into the tile on the floor next to the bed.

So by the evening of the 6th day I was able to drag myself to the emergency room. They did all of the usual along with a cat scan. The scan showed inflammation of the colon and fluid in my appendix.  Dr said that my potassium was so low from all the puking that I was close to having a heart attack :U

Said they were going to put me in a room and that the surgeon would operate at 6am. I was freaking out. Surgeon didn't even come down to talk to me. Something told me NOT to let them, that they needed to consult with my rhumetologist because I'm not the average bear health wise. So they said if I leave that night, I would have to sign a waiver (basically covering their asses in case something happened to me after I walked out of the ER) which I happily signed.

I went to see my Rhumey and he and the surgeon spoke and agreed that I needed the operation. So I agreed to it. They told me to check myself in the next morning and it would be taken care of. So 15 mins after I arrive the surgeon comes in, tells me that he reviewed my cat scan again and compared it to the one I had in January and I in fact don't need the surgery and to pack up and leave. I'm so glad I didn't blindly agree to the first surgeon wanting to start operating that night.

So the lesson here kids is, if your "gut" is trying to tell you something then listen to it.
I'm not totally out of the woods because the colitis still has to be dealt with, starting with a colonoscopy yay! :p But I didn't have an unnecessary surgery.

I know it took me a long time to get to the point but I'm still recovering from the physical and mental toll that episode took on me.

Hope everyone is doing great and I look forward to reading up on what you guys have been up to, sans the political arguing. ;)

Love, peace and chicken grease

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Dopeless Hopefiend

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Dopeless Hopefiend is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 30, 2017, 01:20:01 AM
  • Reduce Harm, Connect and Educate !
Re: 10 days in hell
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 03:24:32 PM »
Oh fuck chica, that sounds horrible! I really hope you're on your way to feeling better! Glad you didn't end up getting a surgery you didn't need too. Take care of yourself & try to get as much rest as you can while you're recovering. Thinking of you and sending good healing thoughts!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it. - Albus  Dumbledore

Offline Opi-ette (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 03:52:10 PM »
Thanks Dopeless  :) I'm slowly getting there. I can't tell you how much watermelon I've eaten over the last couple of days. So refreshing when you're dehydrated lol
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lolleedee

• La Dee Da Dee Da!
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Lolleedee is now quite familiar.Lolleedee is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 04, 2021, 04:52:15 PM
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 04:10:43 PM »
Holy shit! You have been through the ringer. I'm glad that you are on the other side of it now. I'm also glad you avoided the unnecessary surgery. It's not only the surgery that's concerning but all the other crap and complications that can come with it so I'm very glad you avoided that. Anywho, I hope you are feeling much better and I hope everything goes okay with your colonoscopy! Such a lovely test isn't it? Camera up the ass, gotta love it!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
...Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For you are crunchy and good with ketchup...

Offline Opi-ette (OP)

• SA_Chat+
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 01:26:09 AM »
Thank you Lolleedee, yes I am so relieved I made the right choice. You wouldn't believe the attitude I caught for not staying for the surgery. Caught a bunch of dirty looks with a few neck swirls thrown in for good measure.  ::)

Having a bunch of autoimmune disorders (scleroderma being the worst culprit), I really can't be careful enough. The butt cam doesn't really freak me out too bad. After having an EMG test a few years ago left me so traumatized that I know nothing could be worse than that test.

My brother told me there is a version of the colonoscopy where you swallow a tiny camera the size of a large vitamin and it takes pics every couple of seconds as you "digest" it. Should be interesting if they choose to give me that one lol

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline nikita70

• The Second Of My Name, A Woman Who Runs With Words, Queen Of The Excess, MissThInkLink
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • nikita70 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 11, 2024, 02:23:19 AM
  • They don't have bread-WTF?Let'em eat Opium instead
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:37:04 AM »
Oh dear! I'm so sorry for what you have been through!
Thankfully, this horror is finally behind of you.
I don't even try to guess how bad did it feel, since you were not only so tremendously ill, and-as if it weren't bad enough-also not in position to gather any of your opiate meds and benzos (what probably would relieve the most burdensome symptoms like "ad hoc" if you only were able to gather some, and at least enable you ask for help).

Haven't you stashed anything what could be taken other way than just orally? I asume, that you have been alone in your place, unless your partner/roommate/kid would call the proper service.

It sucks. You definitely shouldn't be alone since you are suffering from such an unpredictable shit. I'm an ignorant, but I guess such a "pang" may happen whenever, doesn't it?
You have mentioned about we should "listen to what our 'guts' say", haven't you? Did you notice any disturbing symptoms before it were too late to counteract? Anything what could alert you? 

Anyway, I have to admit, what you have been through is on the top of the list of my "nightmare scenarios" I can hardly figure out to be survivable. Definitely one of my biggest apprehensions/concern--- if not the worst one ever, beside getting locked up/incarcerated and cut off of an access to my shit (opiates&benzos), or get stuck in a hospital (mental one scares me in particular), incapacitated, where some fucking shrink or any other narrow-minded doc is going to question (or "modify" or limit) my right to gathering meds, excepting the psychiatric shit administered by him own.
Or to be bedridden, in pain, dopesick and not able to gather or even reach my sirup and pills.
It scares shit out of me, seriously.

Why did you mention about 10 days in hell, since you reported to be able to reach to the hospital in the day 6th, didn't you? What was happening during the next 4 days?
Weren't you finally medicated, I mean opiate&benzos (inter alia) medicated at the time? Don't even tell they let you go cold turkey (as you probably must have been totally exhausted), without to IV or at least muscle something delightful?

But hey, cut the crap, you have been through this, brave girl! All you need to do for now is to indulge and cherish yourself (in a positive way).
Enjoy your WATERMELONS  :P and appreciate the other "goodies", after you learned such a painful lesson of lack.       
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:49:34 AM by nikita70 »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A Toda Madre O Un Desmadre

BloodInBloodOutBloodIn

Junkies are like noodles-straight 'til gettin' wet

"Maybe we should follow in the steps of Artonin Artaud and throw our remaining dope in the river,
get flung into gut-wrenching purging withdrawal,drink ayahuasca and eat peyote..." (Roman Totale)

Tags: