dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Sleep Paralysis  (Read 8686 times)

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Sleep Paralysis
« on: December 26, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »
Has anyone experience sleep paralysis or experience it regularly? Beginning when I was 16 until I got on MMT I had sleep paralysis almost once a week and sometimes I would experience over and over again throughout a night. When I was dating the last girl I dated, we lived together before we started dating, and I figured out how to breath really heavy and I could wake her up, and she would know to wake me, and that helped a ton.

It happened mostly when I was going to sleep so she would be up and hear me and wake me. Occasionally she would wake me up when I wasn't experiencing it but I didn't mind because it sucks going through and to be woken up out of it is a huge relief. If anyone has experienced it they know what I am talking about.

The reason I posted it here is because I think different drugs make it happen more frequently. Until I was on opiates I couldn't take xanax without getting sleep paralysis. Which was kind of nice because my mom had extra bottles full of the 2 mg bars when I was in high school so I wouldn't of been able to stop taking them if I enjoyed them like I do now. I also think opiates and weed can cause it to happen as well and studies have shown that stimulants are known to cause it especially caffeine.

Basically sleep paralysis is when you goto sleep and your mind wakes up but your body is 100% paralyzed from being in REM sleep. It is awful the first few times it happens you don't know what is happening, and you panic. You think you are dead or that you aren't getting enough oxygen and if your mouth is closed you can't open it and you feel like your nose is clogged and not getting enough air and you freak out and it makes it worse.

To get out of it most of the time you have to completely relax and fall back asleep once your mind goes back to sleep your whole body will wake up and a lot of the time you will literally jolt out of your sleep. At least I would, I would be struggling so hard to wake up or just move an inch to wake up my girlfriend and you can't and when I would wake I would basically jump completely out of bed. It would ruin my chances of falling asleep again because I would be thinking about it happening again.

When I got on MMT it stopped for the most part I have only had it a few times in the last 2 years and when I detoxed in jail in happened both times and when I was off MMT when I got out of jail it happened frequently. It sucks going through you always think someone is in your house or room and you can't wake up, and you can sometimes see yourself from above or visualize whats going on in your room. Every time my eyes are open when I have it they are moving like they do in REM sleep.

I often see things that aren't there or think I am a different place or room. A lot of people have said they have seen a ghost or demon sitting on their chest or in their room and I have seen something like a huge shadow on top of me or in the corner of my room a few times which is scary as shit. Most of the time I think someone is in my house and that is what woke me up and I am paralyzed and feel like I am completely helpless and can't move or wake up so I panic.

Anyone else get it or have had it happen or know someone who does? What are your experiences of it? Have you ever seen a ghost, demon, or spirit? hah that sounds crazy but its a real thing it is probably you visualizing a dream, kind of like a lucid dream or one you remember being vivid. Do you think drugs effect it or brought them on? Do you think drugs help with them? When did it start happening? Have you found a way to stop them? I know when I am sleeping with someone I tell them about it so that they will wake me up if I am breathing or making any noise.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
Re: Sleep Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »
One of the things you said that intrigued me is there are four cycles of sleep. You said you tend to experience regular sleep paralysis " It happened mostly when I was going to sleep".

You are correct  sleep paralysis tends to happen in Rem sleep but it does happen in other cycles too.

There are other things you can do about it without having to wear a full CPAP mask if you were worried about that.

Have you had a sleep study? Do you have a GP? With your history that's a recommendation I can see easily coming.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 06:28:47 PM »

I often see things that aren't there or think I am a different place or room. A lot of people have said they have seen a ghost or demon sitting on their chest or in their room and I have seen something like a huge shadow on top of me or in the corner of my room a few times which is scary as shit. Most of the time I think someone is in my house and that is what woke me up and I am paralyzed and feel like I am completely helpless and can't move or wake up so I panic.

Anyone else get it or have had it happen or know someone who does? What are your experiences of it? Have you ever seen a ghost, demon, or spirit? hah that sounds crazy but its a real thing it is probably you visualizing a dream, kind of like a lucid dream or one you remember being vivid. Do you think drugs effect it or brought them on? Do you think drugs help with them? When did it start happening? Have you found a way to stop them? I know when I am sleeping with someone I tell them about it so that they will wake me up if I am breathing or making any noise.

Relax man. It's just the gray aliens taking you back to thier ship for your scheduled anal probe.

Kidding aside, when I was about 16 I "woke up" to see a tall, thin black robed and hooded figure standing over me and shoving a V shaped blade into my chest. I was sure it was indeed Death and remember my strongest feeling was that I hoped my mom and sister knew I loved them when they found me in the morning.

Other than that, occasionally (only a few times a year) I find my self starting to wake up and sure someone is in the house and I know I am defenseless. (It doesn't help that in my bedroom there is a glass sliding door leading directly outside.) Then I fully wake up but that thought (of an intruder) lingers. It doesn't happen often but when it does it is quite unsettling. One thinkg I have found that helps it is to make sure all the doors and windows are locked before I go to bed.

On balance though, most of my dream time is enjoyable. Girlfriend(s) have told me they like to watch me sleep becaause I often laugh and smile while I dream.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 06:36:28 PM »
One of the things you said that intrigued me is there are four cycles of sleep. You said you tend to experience regular sleep paralysis " It happened mostly when I was going to sleep".

You are correct  sleep paralysis tends to happen in Rem sleep but it does happen in other cycles too.

There are other things you can do about it without having to wear a full CPAP mask if you were worried about that.

Have you had a sleep study? Do you have a GP? With your history that's a recommendation I can see easily coming.

If you have read any Carlos Castenada you have heard of "Lucid Dreaming" (being in a dream but knowing you are in a dream and then shaping it) and how to practice it. When you dream you create an entire world and you can learn to shape that world anyway you want.

Considering we spend 1/3 of our lives asleep and during that time our "reality" is as valid to our minds as our waking reality learning to exercise your mental power can improve your time awake as well.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 10:22:34 PM »
I get sleep paralysis a lot. I will wake up and be able to see but I won't be able to move except maybe like the tips of my finger. Literally every time it happens, I'll be super paranoid and think that someone is trying to break into the house and kill me or something. I always stay "awake" and struggle myself awake somehow. Even though it's happened many many times now, it still feels real every time and I'll be scared until I wake up. It's part of the reason I sleep with a TV on now. For some reason, it doesn't seem to happen with it on.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Illadelph215

• Whiskey bent and hellbound
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 28, 2022, 06:21:24 PM
  • Our Community
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »
This brings up bad memories, first time it happened it me was when I was living alone in an old house in rural Virginia. When you don't no what sleep paralysis is an experience it it is truly horrible and cringe worthy. For sure thought my house was haunted by people holding me down by pulling my sheets and sitting on my stomach, also heard kids bouncing balls in the hallway. Thankfully I called my sister who informed me what had happened. Since then it's happened only one more time thankfully and I feel for anyone who endures this on the reg. The human brain is a powerful thing. Not being able to move or talk let alone scream but to be able to sense whatever else is "happening" around you in pure ludicrous. No wonder artists and poets have been sharing their experiences of being possessed by the sleep paralysis demon for so long.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
There is no future, there is no past. In the present, nothing lasts.

Offline Pullmyhair.

• Reputation Power: 7
  • Pullmyhair. is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 09, 2018, 05:04:17 PM
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 04:34:24 AM »
It happens to me occasionally. It can be terrifying. For me, I feel like I'm dying or something really bad is happening to me, and I try and scream or get my girlfriend's attention, but nothing comes out and I can't move. And then I really start panicking because I feel like I can't breath, and I there's nothing I can do about it. I think I usually fall back asleep, or back into regular sleep. I've never woken up all the way during it, but I can usually remember it pretty vividly. It's super interesting to read about all of the old folk tales about sleep paralysis, there's all kinds of weird shit that used to be attributed to it. Witches, succubi, alien abductions, elves, all kinds of crazy shit. It usually involves some sort of entity sitting on your chest and sexually violating you or sitting on your chest and stealing your life force. Having experienced how terrifying it can be, I can see how people used to think shit like that.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I want to live and I want to love. I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of.
-The Smiths

Offline Sand and Water

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Sand and Water has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:March 16, 2016, 06:27:41 AM
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 07:04:42 AM »
I don't get this very often now-prolly because I rarely sleep long enough to reach REM stage maybe?  But as a kid & teenager, I used to experience it a LOT. Just curious, because I didn't know so many others experienced it, does anyone have any links on studies or theories on this?  It *is* scary to me too, at least except for the rare times (i think it was Deadcat?) someone mentioned, when I know I'm in a dream. Weird then too, but less scary!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 09:18:20 AM »
I'll say again, sleep paralysis is one thing, but if you think you suffer from sleep apnea you should have a sleep study done. Any GP worth his salt would give you that referral.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Illadelph215

• Whiskey bent and hellbound
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.Illadelph215 is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 28, 2022, 06:21:24 PM
  • Our Community
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »
I don't get this very often now-prolly because I rarely sleep long enough to reach REM stage maybe?  But as a kid & teenager, I used to experience it a LOT. Just curious, because I didn't know so many others experienced it, does anyone have any links on studies or theories on this?  It *is* scary to me too, at least except for the rare times (i think it was Deadcat?) someone mentioned, when I know I'm in a dream. Weird then too, but less scary!
- This is a documentary on it. Idk how much you trust wiki but if you go here - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis it brings you to good links such as a Stanford study and general knowledge on it. Neat subject for sure.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
There is no future, there is no past. In the present, nothing lasts.

Offline Sand and Water

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Sand and Water has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:March 16, 2016, 06:27:41 AM
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 11:24:37 AM »
^^^Thank you Sir :)   
@Jega--great HR point...chronic lack of O2, sleep deprivation etc shortens life span, can contribute to brain, heart, lowered immune system problems and more. I am jealous of those who can take Ambien and the the like & SLEEP!  Since all the CP crud, The *only* thing that ever knocked me out & i woke up feeling well-rested was Valium :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

Offline duck

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • duck is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 12, 2016, 10:36:48 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »
I used to get it terrible and posted about it extensively on the old site. 

The best way to deal with it is A) sleep on your side...99% of the time when you get sleep paralysis is when you're sleeping on your back.  B)  when you get a bad episode of it,  the most important thing to do is to relax...i know its hard but its essential.  Its so much harder to fight your way through it, the best method is to just relax and try to fall back asleep..it will happen quicker than you think and then you will almost always just wake right up. 

i know how shitty it can be, but ive learned to cope with it.  I dont get it nearly as often anymore which is nice, but just learning to relax and breath and go back to sleep has solved most of my problems with it. 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
Wow I am definitely surprised by how many people have experienced it. Of all my friends only two people and my brother were the only people I have talked to who have been through it. My brother had experienced it before me and told me about it, and when it happened I knew what it was when I woke up. My first thoughts was that I died, and it has happened to me so many times that I have learned to cope.

I will definitely suggest what jega said anyone who thinks they suffer from sleep apnea to get a sleep study done, I luckily don't have it but have 2 people I know who do. It can cause a lot of problems and sometimes it is hard to figure out what is going on, especially if you sleep alone.

I have only gotten sleep paralysis 3 times this year, and last year it didn't happen very much either so basically when I got on MMT it stopped happening frequently. I would experience once a week sometimes more before that, when I was in my teens was when it happened the most. Cutting out caffeine in the afternoon helped, as well as adderal because I would take that with friends sometimes.

I recommend anyone who experiences it to tell their partner about it and let them know to wake you if they think you are going through it. If you have a lot of trouble sleeping you may not want that because sometimes going through it is easier than being woke up and going back to sleep but that isn't the case for me. My last partner was a very light sleeper and would often goto sleep after me and I figured out a way to breathe heavily and loud enough for her to notice and she would wake me every time.

That made it so much better, knowing that someone can help get you out of it. I can't tell you how many times that I experienced it on a couch with a room full of people who were up and talking. You try to make noise or scream and you can't and the harder you struggle the harder it is to snap out of it. The best thing to do is just completely relax and try to goto sleep again like you normally would, every time I snap out of it I usually pretty much jump out of bed.

The last time it happened with people awake in the room, was when my girlfriend and her best friend were watching tv and I fell asleep on the couch while they were there. I could hear them talking and I tried to make noise as much as I could, when I woke up out of it I asked if they heard anything or if I was struggling at all. They said I started breathing a bit harder they thought I was snoring, but all the noise and movement I thought I was making didn't happen.

You usually have this weird perception where you can almost see where you are at and a lot of time it is distorted. The worst is when you think someone is in your house, you can't protect yourself and your family and its just mental anguish. It is nice to hear that other people have seen a shape or demon like thing that is often spoke of in old folklore about it. Sleep is such a weird thing.

I am very surprised at how many people have experienced it and that leads me to think that drugs do have an effect on it. I assumed stimulants, benzos, and z drugs did but was always unsure of if opiates had an effect on it as well. If they made it happen more frequently, or brought it on. I hope you guys have aged out of it, I think it effects people the most before they turn 30. It is such a odd thing to happen and our minds are so diverse and powerful it is just amazing really. Glad you don't experience it much anymore duck it can be hard to deal with.

I know a little about lucid dreams Deadcat, my brother has read a lot castenada or whatever his name is and can control some of his lucid dreams. I have been able to a little bit but I don't experience them often enough to really try. That is very interesting that people have wrote about different techniques and things that involve lucid dreaming. I have always been curious about it and our mind is truly amazing.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline skramamme

• Reputation Power: 9
  • skramamme is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 12:28:14 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 10:54:03 AM »
I experience sleep paralysis both on falling asleep and on waking up   :-\

I think my first episode was in my early to mid teens- in other words well after I had started drinking, smoking pot and taking things like rohypnol, sarapax (sp?) etc- but I have no idea how much drug use is related to triggering sleep paralysis (if it is at all).

I've noticed that it tends to occur if I am having a nice afternoon nap or when I am seriously worn out and I probably have at least one episode a month.

When I was younger it really freaked me out, then I discovered that my uncle also experienced it and I didn't feel so isolated or scared- after all, this was all pre-internet as we know it, so I couldn't just google what was happening. I honestly had no idea what was going on.
Knowing someone else shared the same...affliction? was extremely comforting as I knew it wasn't just me (and I wasn't losing my mind).

Nowadays I am pretty used to it, I usually know if I'm going to have an episode, especially if it's at the start of my sleep cycle, as I get a very specific sensation of falling, similar to the sensation of going down the first big hill on a roller coaster.

It can still be scary though, and my biggest fear is that I am going to suffocate, so if I am getting that free-falling feeling as I am starting to drift off I will try to get my head in a position where I don't feel as if my breathing may be impeded (ie I will have my pillow adjusted under my neck in a way that allows me to tilt my head back, I won't lie on my side, I make sure there's no doona or other bedding up around my neck and so on). That way I can just let the sleep paralysis come and I can ride it out with a lot less anxiety.

Unfortunately undergoing sleep paralysis when waking is usually a lot more frightening as I am generally in positions that make me feel as though I might suffocate, or in a position that feels unbearable in that moment and the need to just be able to move is so overwhelming, and being unable to do so is scary, that it's really quite distressing.

Luckily I have learnt to make noise during an episode and if my daughter hears me she knows to help me sit up etc to help break the paralysis.
I suppose It funny in a kind of morbid way- the noise I make is me calling for help and it comes out as a strangled "ahhlk ahhlk" because I can't actually move my mouth to form the words, but she knows what I'm trying to say and does her best to help... I have a great kid  ^-^

It's interesting just how many members here have experienced sleep paralysis, I wonder if any studies have been done exploring possible links between drug use and sleep paralysis.

Anyway, if anyone is struggling with sleep paralysis my best advice is to go with it- the more you fight it the worse it gets and the worse the fear and desperation become.
Try to go with the flow, it takes practice and patience to let go (I still struggle with it at times) but it really does make a difference and makes the whole thing feel a lot less intimidating  :)

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Of all the things I value most in life
I see my memories and feel their warmth
And know that they are good,
You know that I should

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal