dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Guy Killed His Friend During a Hallucinogenic Ceremony in Peru  (Read 1483 times)

Z

Guy Killed His Friend During a Hallucinogenic Ceremony in Peru
« on: January 15, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »
A Canadian Guy Killed His Friend During a Hallucinogenic Ceremony in Peru

By Allison ElkinStaff Writer

Allison Elkin
Ayahuasca being brewed in Iquitos, Peru. Photo via Flickr user Paul Hessell
Ayahuasca is a hallucinogenic drink originally used by Indigenous tribes in South America, and it was previously little-known amongst most of the world. But the elixir has gained attention in the past several years as urbanites increasingly travel to the Amazon in an attempt to become "enlightened" or healed of medical ailments. Drinking the DMT-containing brew that makes you trip absolute balls doesn't go well for everyone—in fact, crying, vomiting, and diarrhea are some of the most common unfavourable side effects. If you've ever tripped your face off, you'll know that even the slightest confrontation in this type of mindset can be detrimental to your sanity, but tripping on ayahuasca is a complete new level—you can easily lose sense of reality. For one Canadian man from Winnipeg, his intended path to enlightenment earlier this year in the Peruvian jungle ended up with him killing another man.
In his first interview since he returned home to Manitoba in December, 29-year-old Joshua Andrew Freeman Stevens detailed to CTV News his version of how events of the ceremony went down. Stevens was at Phoenix Ayahuasca, a retreat near Iquitos, Peru, when he stabbed Unais Gomes, a 26-year-old British man whom he considered a "lifelong friend."

According to Stevens, who was taking part in an ayahuasca ceremony in hopes of healing a skin condition, the stabbing was done in self-defence. Stevens said that after twice the regular dose of ayahuasca, Gomes started shouting at "the top of his lungs." When Stevens approached him, he began yelling, "You are Yahweh, you are Yahweh, and it's time to get your demons out, brother! It's time to get your demons out!" (Yahweh is a god from the ancient kingdoms of Samaria and Judah, now modern-day Israel, by the way.)
Following this, according to Stevens, Gomes started attacking him. In an attempt to get help, he ran to the kitchen, where Gomes followed and found a knife. After Gomes broke this knife on a table as he continued to attack, Stevens went for a big steel pot and broke it hitting Gomes in the side.

Gomes then allegedly found a butcher's knife, but Stevens managed to get it away from him. Then, Gomes changed the target of his attack to the retreat's workers. "What I said to myself was if he gets this knife back, he's either going to kill me or the other two men here," Stevens said. "And that's when I made the decision to stab him."
Stevens was arrested by Peruvian police and held for 24 hours but was released, and returned to Winnipeg. However, he may have to go back to Peru if authorities deem it necessary for the case to go to trial.

It's not the first time a Western tourist has died while on an ayahuasca retreat. In 2014, a 19-year-old student from Bristol, UK named Henry Miller died from drinking what was supposed to be regular ayahuasca, which was actually spiked with the extremely strong hallucinogen toé, at a Colombian retreat.

Source: http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/a-canadian-guy-killed-his-friend-during-a-hallucinogenic-ceremony-in-peru

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:34:12 PM by dizzle »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Z

Re: Guy Killed His Friend During a Hallucinogenic Ceremony in Peru
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »
Sorry for the formatting.  I am too lazy to fix yet another article, and I think it is readable as is.  Go to the source for the slick formatting you deserve.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TearsofThePoppy

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • TearsofThePoppy is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 13, 2016, 08:05:19 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:18:40 PM »
Anyone who calls God by the name of "Yahweh" is def highly suspect and someone I would not trust. It's like saying "to-MAH-to" instead of "to-MAY-to."
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline St. Theresa

• Reputation Power: 0
  • St. Theresa has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 06, 2018, 09:37:13 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:31:13 PM »
^lol TotP...nice to see you around :)

Last year I was all ready to go and hang in the jungles of the Yucatan with my friend/ex boss, a shaman, don joaquin, his wife and two sons,  I was soooo psyched. But she had to go back to Romania to be with her dying mom and while in Romania she got caught up in some shit :/

I still want to go so bad. Not just to get fucked up and meet God in a tripped out hallucination but to just visit the Yucatan...the food is amazing there and the area is beautiful.

As for the goodball who tried to kill his buddy....Some people just can't handle their high. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 10:33:29 PM by St. Theresa »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. "I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs."
"I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking."
"Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!"
"Shut up! Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control."-BH

Offline Snout

• Reputation Power: 20
  • Snout is now quite familiar.Snout is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:September 28, 2023, 09:42:59 AM
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 01:14:02 AM »
Is drinking ayeuasca like having a DMT breakout for several hours? I've never drank the stuff, but I've smoked DMT like 50 times and I can't even imagine being that high for several hours. Is is as intense as the DMT breakout, which , frankly, scares the begeezus out of me.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I myself have found a real rival in myself,
I am hoping for a re-arrival of my health- wilco

Offline corlene

• Reputation Power: 12
  • corlene is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 30, 2016, 08:32:51 AM
  • I alternate morphine and dilaudid in my PCA
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »
DMT to me atleast gets me in touch w god, and or aliens, depends really
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Snout

• Reputation Power: 20
  • Snout is now quite familiar.Snout is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:September 28, 2023, 09:42:59 AM
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »
Corlene, yes! I have had full contact with the aliens and six foot talll Insects wearing space suits and reptiles wearing Armani , too strange
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions