dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Car guys, check this out  (Read 10555 times)

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
Re: Car guys, check this out
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 14, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
Moementum I hear you man, I do. I'm a bike nut too and I really want a street bike. (I want a... wait for it, I want a rotary powered bike, boosted, with modern suspension). Not Norton - custom motor into... something.

But the problems with bikes are kinda many: they're dirtier aerodynamically; by design they simply can't have a superior camber curve -- so they're simply incapable of pulling the same lateral Gs by physics alone (this compared to a typical racing-auto, double-a-arm setup, but MPS will do too); relative tire patch is size/weight/power limited on bikes and also the same with motors, tho that may not be to the same degree these days with current EFI/fuel/turbo tech but still, the bikes are impressive but try a heavy launch on a 4wd hoosier driven Mitsu Evo someday, pushes the air out of your lungs.

Fast cars aren't nearly as slow as a lot of bike ppl think they are. This is why most track records are held by 4 wheel vehicles, often go-karts :)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:38:19 PM by Opus »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline MoeMentim

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • MoeMentim is now quite familiar.MoeMentim is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »
  Yeah, I hear ya - The days of cutting edge bikes outperforming cutting edge cars have been gone for a while now.  It's only in limited circumstances like that video where they shine.  If that'd been a quarter or a full mile the bug would have won for sure.  I bet a motogp bike would lose to a formula one car on any given track.  Speaking of rotaries though I had a pic of that John Player Special Norton on my wall in high school.  Think I heard about some new rotary bike under the Norton name, maybe that's the one you referred to.  I hear ya on the home brewed performance bikes though & love the "out there" stuff.   I have a soft spot for 2 strokes, have you seen any of the custom snowmobile engine bikes?

However, (& admittedly not in line with the top of the heap $$$ stuff this thread is focused on) I've only been able to look at performance/fun per dollar numbers, bikes have usually fit the bill best even though my heart has always been with muscle cars.  I do dig drooling over the stuff that is being discussed though & don't want to derail the conversation.  Maybe I'll put up a motorcycle thread - I'm dying for spring. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:04:00 PM by MoeMentim »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 09:14:39 PM »
WIth hydrogen, a turbo rotary would basically be "green" right?

The motors are so perfect for bikes too, nothing down low, you gotta work for it, but that work pays off in spades at 15k in high gears.

I wish I knew more about fuel chemistry. I do FULLY endorse the coming of electric motors, but I think those of us who grew up with gas motors might have a hard time giving them up, completely.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal