dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Gentrification  (Read 6348 times)

Offline Anti-hero (OP)

• Next Level Idiot
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Anti-hero is working their way up.Anti-hero is working their way up.Anti-hero is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 10, 2019, 04:20:41 AM
  • Can't get high or you will die or you'll die
    • Head don't give a shit
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Scared to death
No reason why
Do one another
To get me by
Think about the things I said
Read the page it's cold and dead

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
Re: Gentrification
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 12:23:08 AM »
We as a human species are getting older as health care improves. As you live longer you see more likely to develop painful ailments (rheumatoid arthritis, cancer for example) and dr's will prescribe medications for these ailments. Seniors are tuned turned into pill addicts.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Thoms

• "Is a sex God"
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Thoms is now quite familiar.Thoms is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 27, 2018, 01:32:26 AM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 12:44:16 AM »
Call me a junky fuck it. I thought it was a good article though. The biggest difference i see is one family was able to realize their daughter made a choice and the other mom still wants to blame the guy that served him. If that guy didnt the next number in his phone would have.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Fear and self loathing in thoms.

Offline Tony

• Regular
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Tony is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 29, 2017, 12:41:33 PM
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 01:54:20 AM »
Hero!,

Great post. I could go on and on about this topic as it has huge ramifications in so many areas of our society. I will be brief. If you study the history of the drug
war, it explains in many ways how we got where we are. The huge increases in the numbers of folks that are incarcerated, the militarization of the police state.
The change of focus from rehabilitation to punishment, just to name a few. Nixon hated and feared the student anti war movement and equated it to Pot smoking
hippies. Along with Commie, homosexual, Pinkos ... The Controlled Substances Act was one of the most heinous bills ever passed in the history of our country. The ability of the government to target the exact folks that were the political enemies of the state was brutally effective. Say what you will, the way it was presented was sick but effective. Easy to see how when it was presented as saving the kids from taking shit like LSD that made people put their babies in the oven while high, along with damaging their Chromosomes, saving them from birthing monster babies, was a bad thing. When I was growing up I remember reading shit like that in the mainstream press. It was presented as facts that were backed by the Scientific and Medical establishment. LSD, Pot, Cocaine and Heroin were all
lumped together and the proposition that when you tried one you moved right up the ladder was stated as fact.

The Vietnam War left a whole lot of Military hardware from long guns to tanks and other surplus without a use. The answer was to in effect give this stuff to state and local Police Departments for no cost! I ran a Labor hall in Pontiac Michigan in the late seventies and at that time both Detroit and Pontiac ( along with most big cities ) had what we called the Goon Squad. These guys were big cops that lifted weights and wore black leather gloves and were called in when heavy lifting and muscle was needed. Hostage situations, bomb threats, and things like that. I do not remember having SWAT teams with half tracks and jackbooted Brownshirts coming with assault rifles and full military garb! Now almost every small town has SWAT TEAMS and a huge amount of military equipment. And human nature is if you have it you use it.

Then came the mandatory minimum sentences along with the three strike laws. Kids being charged as adults. All the Politicians jumping through hoops to see who could be tougher on crime. Drug crime in particular. Private prisons, forfeiture laws that were resurrected from being put on the books after the civil war. This made it very lucrative for the Federal, State and Local police to enrich themselves. In Texas many counties had Contracts that were used to allow citizens caught with large amounts of cash that was assumed proceeds of drugs sale, to give the money to the police without being arrested if they promised to not come back to the county they were stopped in. This allowed the county to avoid cutting the Feds in on their cut as officially no arrests were made. Serve and protect indeed. Judges, Lawyers, Jailers and a whole nest of corporations were allowed to feast off the misery of the populace. Whole Foods put many small businesses under in Colorado by making them unable to compete in the Tilapia raising business by using prison labor to raise the fish sold in their stores. I was asked to leave a store because I posted that fact on the Community Board.

The harm and suffering these practices have caused the citizens in this country is very possibly irreparable. If we stopped tomorrow which as we all know will never happen, it would take at least a generation to begin to heal the damage. But unfortunately, I believe the money is the drug that is the most dangerous.   
Those in power are addicted to the point of no return.

I am not a revolutionary. At least not a violent one. But we need folks to become educated and start saying I am mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. I say we need to adopt the attitude of the Founding Fathers and the mantra  Don't Tread on Me.

And the beat goes on. Has anybody asked why everybody in the USA wants to get high? We all know that percentage wise we consume a huge amount of
mind altering substances compared to any other country. Could it be we are so disenfranchised we do it to just get through our lives?   

Tony 2015                                                       

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Sand and Water

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Sand and Water has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:March 16, 2016, 06:27:41 AM
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 02:59:06 AM »
Hero!,

Great post. I could go on and on about this topic as it has huge ramifications in so many areas of our society. I will be brief. If you study the history of the drug
war, it explains in many ways how we got where we are. The huge increases in the numbers of folks that are incarcerated, the militarization of the police state.
The change of focus from rehabilitation to punishment, just to name a few. Nixon hated and feared the student anti war movement and equated it to Pot smoking
hippies. Along with Commie, homosexual, Pinkos ... The Controlled Substances Act was one of the most heinous bills ever passed in the history of our country. The ability of the government to target the exact folks that were the political enemies of the state was brutally effective. Say what you will, the way it was presented was sick but effective. Easy to see how when it was presented as saving the kids from taking shit like LSD that made people put their babies in the oven while high, along with damaging their Chromosomes, saving them from birthing monster babies, was a bad thing. When I was growing up I remember reading shit like that in the mainstream press. It was presented as facts that were backed by the Scientific and Medical establishment. LSD, Pot, Cocaine and Heroin were all
lumped together and the proposition that when you tried one you moved right up the ladder was stated as fact.

The Vietnam War left a whole lot of Military hardware from long guns to tanks and other surplus without a use. The answer was to in effect give this stuff to state and local Police Departments for no cost! I ran a Labor hall in Pontiac Michigan in the late seventies and at that time both Detroit and Pontiac ( along with most big cities ) had what we called the Goon Squad. These guys were big cops that lifted weights and wore black leather gloves and were called in when heavy lifting and muscle was needed. Hostage situations, bomb threats, and things like that. I do not remember having SWAT teams with half tracks and jackbooted Brownshirts coming with assault rifles and full military garb! Now almost every small town has SWAT TEAMS and a huge amount of military equipment. And human nature is if you have it you use it.

Then came the mandatory minimum sentences along with the three strike laws. Kids being charged as adults. All the Politicians jumping through hoops to see who could be tougher on crime. Drug crime in particular. Private prisons, forfeiture laws that were resurrected from being put on the books after the civil war. This made it very lucrative for the Federal, State and Local police to enrich themselves. In Texas many counties had Contracts that were used to allow citizens caught with large amounts of cash that was assumed proceeds of drugs sale, to give the money to the police without being arrested if they promised to not come back to the county they were stopped in. This allowed the county to avoid cutting the Feds in on their cut as officially no arrests were made. Serve and protect indeed. Judges, Lawyers, Jailers and a whole nest of corporations were allowed to feast off the misery of the populace. Whole Foods put many small businesses under in Colorado by making them unable to compete in the Tilapia raising business by using prison labor to raise the fish sold in their stores. I was asked to leave a store because I posted that fact on the Community Board.

The harm and suffering these practices have caused the citizens in this country is very possibly irreparable. If we stopped tomorrow which as we all know will never happen, it would take at least a generation to begin to heal the damage. But unfortunately, I believe the money is the drug that is the most dangerous.   
Those in power are addicted to the point of no return.

I am not a revolutionary. At least not a violent one. But we need folks to become educated and start saying I am mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. I say we need to adopt the attitude of the Founding Fathers and the mantra  Don't Tread on Me.

And the beat goes on. Has anybody asked why everybody in the USA wants to get high? We all know that percentage wise we consume a huge amount of
mind altering substances compared to any other country. Could it be we are so disenfranchised we do it to just get through our lives?   

Tony 2015                                                       

@Hero--Thanks much for this

@Tony--preach it!!  RICO & all that have turned PD's into mini battalions and it sucks. Does anyone else remember the push for Community Policing that quickly faded away?  Now, it's back to the "us vs them" mentality (and you're spot on about them getting new toys & lots of $$$ from accused vs convicted individuals). I live in a very rural area & our PD act like they're fixing to go to war at any second (& they've got the newest shiny toys to do so too)... so counterproductive :(

One bright note--i heard on the news yesterday that NYS is releasing a little less than 2,000 inmates who had been serving long sentences for non-violent drug offenses. Im hoping this is going to be the new norm vs a "blip on the radar" to try to demonstrate politicians are responding to longstanding VALID complaints police misconduct and brutality ...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.
Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

Offline Griffin

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »
Is there a reason that police get new cars every year or 2? I don't understand why they don't try to get more gas efficient cars as well sense they have to keep their car on the entire time they are working. It baffles me that we have such a debt crisis going on that they don't limit spending they just keep raising the ceiling and the taxes.

Did anyone see the bills trying to pass in colorado right now I voted no on everyone except one I think. The 2 that stood out were that they estimated wrong about the marijuana tax and they have an extra $65 million and they are asking if the government can keep it instead of giving it back to the people and the marijuana businesses. The other is a multi billion dollar plan to revitalize a place to keep the stock show here. The law doesn't have any allocation for any of the funds.

They threw in that they are going to add art studios and clean up the river on to it but it doesn't say how much they are spending on anything just they need more tax money to do it. They can spend $500 on the 2 or 3 decent things they stated on the bill that would actually be a good thing and spend the rest lining their political backers pockets. I wish we could just stop all lobbying and corporate political endorsements. If we did that and made all senators, governors, presidents, and other political government workers salary the median income for the average american family of their size.

I think that would save a ton of money for the US there are so many places we could cut spending and don't. There is no reason they all need to be paid $80,000 a year tax free as well as get $500,000 a year in political endorsements why everyone else struggles. It just seems right to me that they get the average income that american families make. Also making our military less militant and spending more on defense than offense would be a step in the right direction. There is no need to piss everyone off. I have opposing views on what to do with all of the aid money we send across the world. I think that some of it should be spent and is properly done so but that there is a lot of it that isn't.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 05:06:40 PM »
Or how about this: for people who are super-rich, like billionaires and shit (or let the gov. decide how "rich" you must be to qualify), they must show that they are investing a certain amount of their wealth (like 30-40%) on jobs creation, like re-investing it in business, or donating it to charity, or else there assets get like 80% taxed?

Would incentivize people NOT to keep massive amounts of cash in the bank, just sitting there earning interest. I like the basic idea behind this; the kinks would have to be worked out be people smarter than myself.

What a clusterfuck that would be though, right?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »
The words "epidemic" and "treatment" cast the "disease of drug addiction" in an extremely bad light. While I'm all for more compassion and less imprisonment of users, I don't think that the mantra "treatment instead of incarceration" really addresses the "problem," because if your only negative consequences of drug use are legal problems, then how is that a "disease?"

I mean just because someone gets arrested for heroin possession (or any illegal drug) doesn't automatically mean that they need "treatment." Of course, if I were offered a 90-day treatment stint instead of a 3 year sentence in prison, then yeah, I'd be all for singin songs and "sharing" at 12-step meetings for as long as it took to convince people that I was "well" again.

But not all drug users are sick and need treatment. That's why complete and total legalization is the only answer to the problem we have here and all over the world as a result of drugs prohibition.

I mean you can go buy a half gallon of vodka every fucking day, and as long as you don't screw up and run over some babies driving drunk, or smash your neighbor's skull in because he said something about your wife, then you're pretty much Gucci, right? Should be the same with drugs. People that want treatment should be able to get it, in some form or other. Like if methamphetamine was legal to buy at Walgreen's (with all sorts of - "how do I know if using methamphetamine is becoming a problem for me?" literature), then you'd probably have LOTS of users requesting treatment voluntarily.

And it's also sad that the only viable and at least partially successful treatment paradigm has been 12-step fellowships since 1929. Shit just doesn't work for most people. I mean even in AA, the original 12-step joint, it's an abysmally small percentage of people  who get sober and stay that way for more than, say, five years.

We as a society should be working on better cognitive therapies for treating drug addictions in people who want treatment.

Also, the "treatment vs. incarceration" line of thought just leads to people getting jackpotted because they failed a few urine screens or didn't get their slip signed at enough meetings. It's a setup basically, because as we know, only like 10% (and that's a generous estimate) actually are able to get clean and/or sober.

So fucking glad I'm off papers now...

tl/dr - treatment is not necessary for all drug users. Just because one uses drugs, even habitually, to get HIGH, does not mean that they are sick and in need of some head-shrinking and/or Prozac. Shit give everybody some psych treatment if that's the criteria.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 05:46:25 PM by Zoops »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal