dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Dealers Are Using Social Media to Sell Illegal Drugs — And Getting Away With It  (Read 5391 times)

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Today at 11:22:15 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
source: http://fortune.com/2018/09/26/instagram-drugs/

By RENAE REINTS September 26, 2018

A large portion of the illegal drug market has expanded into the world of social media, The Washington Post reports. Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are struggling to shut down these illicit accounts, as drug-related hashtags drive users to them.

The social platforms can’t keep up with their own algorithms, which actively promote the problematic content once users express interest by following a drug dealer or liking a drug-related image, according to the report. The system is meant to advertise accounts and provide new content personalized to the user’s interests, but this can backfire when the interests are illegal.

“We’re not yet sophisticated enough to tease apart every post to see if it’s trying to sell someone illegal drugs or they are taking Xanax cause they are stressed out,” Facebook’s vice president for global marketing solutions told the Post of the company’s artificial intelligence technology. “Obviously, there is some stuff that gets through that is totally against our policy, and we’re getting better at it.”

Instagram has attempted blocking certain hashtags—like #fentanyl, #cocaine, and #heroin—from public search, but this doesn’t completely eliminate their use, and dealers simply use hashtags related to legal drugs to market.

They’ve also attempted adding messages suggesting helplines when individuals search for illegal drugs, the Post reports, but the social platforms are facing pressure from Congress and activist groups to take more effective actions.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline LadyKalma

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • LadyKalma is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 09, 2019, 05:12:23 AM
  • Welcome to drugs-and-users !
Instagram and facebook I thought were trying to come up with targeted ads for what you like, right? So...logically should find it good that they found out what these people like. I have not seen this on fb, personally.

More importantly, you guys remember the opiate roll call reddit? That actually worked for me before it was taken down. Do you guys know if it was replaced with a more sneaky subreddit that I'm missing?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline always_opiated

• S'all good man
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • always_opiated is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 18, 2022, 12:20:27 AM
  • Our Community Board
(((opiate roll call reddit)))

boy do i miss that subreddit

hooked up a bunch of times many years ago

Moderator Comment maybe not a wise thing to admit to
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:25:33 AM by Chip »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline bignasty

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • bignasty is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 09, 2022, 08:54:00 AM
  • Reduce Harm, Connect and Educate !
Re: Dealers Are Using Social Media to Sell Illegal
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 11:27:34 PM »
More importantly, you guys remember the opiate roll call reddit? That actually worked for me before it was taken down. Do you guys know if it was replaced with a more sneaky subreddit that I'm missing?
What was on the opiate roll call reddit?

They had an awesome "steroid sources" reddit before the GD government took it down. So now folks are gonna get shitty, sketchy, under-dosed steroids instead of lab-tested, correctly-dosed good juice.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
in Oz, get caught doing something stupid (like being aggressive or worse) whilst possessing (heaven forbid trafficking) steroids and Meth, you could be locked up for ages and heavily fined.

do steroids cause increased violence ? i guess that they wouldn't help.

i'm sure law enforcement here look back fondly on the days where Heroin was the "main" drug problem, even despite the high mortality rate.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline always_opiated

• S'all good man
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • always_opiated is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 18, 2022, 12:20:27 AM
  • Our Community Board
 Moderator Comment
maybe not a wise thing to admit to

If they wanted to bust me they would have already.  I haven't used that subreddit in over 5 years.   Same amount of time I've been on the subz

I've been on subs now for almost 5 years
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip (OP)

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
@always_opiated, actually i was really also thinking about how it might impact reddit's image.

if you find a good thing then keep it quiet <- that's what i hoped to convey to you.

didn't mean to offend.

i feel the same about my own situation but i am learning to keep my mouth shut about more things now (where others are implicated).

even after the fact/pact.

5 years, nice.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:58:57 PM by Chip »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline bignasty

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • bignasty is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:September 09, 2022, 08:54:00 AM
  • Reduce Harm, Connect and Educate !

do steroids cause increased violence ? i guess that they wouldn't help.

That's retarded. When the DEA went to schedule steroids, the FDA and/or AMA had doctors telling them how stupid that would be as steroids don't cause any type of buzz and aren't really prone to abuse.

Some steroids cause increased aggression but that's only certain ones and in larger doses than needed and usually only by assholes that think they're tough shit in the first place. If you're not an aggressive person to begin with, it's unlikely steroids are gonna make you start a buncha fights with people, let alone start ONE fight.

EDIT: You're not retarded for asking that question. I meant that giving folks a lot of prison time for trafficking steroids is going "full retard".
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline LadyKalma

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • LadyKalma is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 09, 2019, 05:12:23 AM
  • Welcome to drugs-and-users !
Since opiate roll call was deleted from reddit earlier this year,  West's probably ok to discuss what it was. Basically a sourcing system for if you're in a new place or something. There's threads for each month like "Florida Nov." And people say stuff like their city or area code, and people also in the area respond. And people rate people who suck or rip them off so you get a little more info than cold copping.

But whatever so called human trafficking legislation came out that made the craigslist personal section get taken down, and many subreddits went away then too. But I bet theres a new one I don't know about.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal