dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: 2 pairs of Levis 501s for a balloon of bth  (Read 15197 times)

Offline clinton (OP)

• Reputation Power: 8
  • clinton is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:May 13, 2016, 05:09:47 AM
  • Harm Reduction & Safe Using
2 pairs of Levis 501s for a balloon of bth
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:28:23 AM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/01/jeans-and-heroin/431538/

OLGA KHAZAN
JAN 28, 2016   HEALTH
When Enrique, an aspiring heroin dealer from Nayarit, Mexico, arrived at his uncles’ home in California in 1989, they led him to a closet full of brand-new Levi’s 501 jeans.

“Take what you want,” the uncles, who were deep into the heroin trade, told Enrique.

That scene, described by Sam Quinones in his excellent book Dreamland, about America’s opioid crisis, marks a strange and important feature of the U.S. heroin market.

Mexican dealers, who peddle much of the black-tar heroin in the United States, valued Levi’s 501 jeans almost as much as currency. In fact, they sometimes accepted payment in denim form: One balloon could be had for two pairs. When the dealers came home to their ranchos wearing 501s—or if they brought them as gifts—their families knew they had truly made it.

The story behind why the pants were so valued explains much about foreign heroin dealers’ motivation for their work.

“I’d get them from clients who would steal them from Sears.”
Quinones describes how 501s were the “gold standard” for men in the rural parts of Mexico in the 1990s. The pants were expensive there and hard to obtain. Owning a pair implied not only wealth, but likely American connections.

Soon, dealers’ families began to expect gifts of 501s upon their return to Mexico, so the dealers couldn’t not go back to sell more heroin, Quinones writes
The Mexican dealers’ obsession echoes a broader international fascination with American denim—and Levi’s in particular, according to James Sullivan, author of Jeans: A Cultural History of an American Icon.

“Since World War II ended, jeans have been recognized as symbolic of Western ideals around the world,” he said. Steeped in Westerns and movies like Rebel Without a Cause, teens saw in jeans the picture of the American cowboy and renegade. Their relative scarcity outside the U.S. only compounded their cache.

Japanese youths’ preoccupation with American jeans and leather bomber jackets launched a market for vintage denim in the 1980s.

“In the 70s, it was common knowledge among American backpacking kids doing European travels that if you brought an extra pair of blue jeans, you could sell them to kids behind the Iron Curtain who were desperate to get them,” Sullivan said.

Citizens of the former U.S.S.R. regularly handed over their entire paychecks for smuggled Western goods. As the Christian Science Monitor pointed out in 1984, jeans—particularly Levi’s—were a hot commodity during the Cold War:

It is not unusual to enter a subway car and see the majority of men and women—and 80 to 90 percent of the young generation—wearing blue jeans. Of those wearing American brands, Levi's seem to be the most in evidence, although just about every label can be seen, from Calvin Klein to Gloria Vanderbilt. In fact, the Russian word for ''jeans'' is dzhinzy, pronounced ''JEANS-ee.''

Such an attraction may reflect the tendency to view goods from abroad as better than domestic items. But wearing clothing that may cost as much as a month's salary (average 160 rubles, or about $200), and is available only under the table, may also be a sign of status-seeking.
Though other brands, such as Wrangler and later Guess, approached a similar status, Levi’s “did the best job of selling its own story in the jeans world,” Sullivan said. With their riveted reinforcements and iconic red tabs, 501s were hard to imitate. Anyone caught trying faced swift litigation from Levis, according to Sullivan.

That doesn’t mean they didn’t try. In Italy in the 70s, he said, the top-selling pair of jeans were Levi’s 501s. Number two were knock-off 501s.

In the U.S., desperate addicts opted to pilfer the real thing. Quinones interviewed one trafficker from Xalisco who said he once brought home 50 pairs of Levi's in suitcases. “I’d get them from clients,” he said, “who would steal them from Sears.”
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the vein...

Offline thetalkingasshole

• Self-Transforming Machine Elf
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • thetalkingasshole has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 06, 2019, 06:22:48 AM
  • Always with an arm out and a leg up
Re: 2 pairs of Levis 501s for a balloon of bth
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »
Levi's, the brand you cant wash

I would put their pants at a shelf life of 5 years
working on a ranch in them? MAYBE three.
personally I find jeans to be fucking uncomfortable
unless I am working I wear courderoys or cotton/poly shit

I wish we could have something in our culture worth coveting
one that we didnt steal fromnanother culture first even
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
As I grew up, I opened my eyes and saw the real world, and I began to laugh, and I haven't stopped since

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:52:34 PM »
Are you saying Levi Strauss stole the design he used?

Personally Levis last forever for me. 5 or 6 years at the least unless I tear/burn a hole in them. In my line of work (industrial) and my line of leisure (nod town) holes are a frequent problem. As long as the holes are smaller than a quarter, or an inch and a half, they aren't a problem and the jeans hold up, any bigger and they start to grow and go to hell. Levi's are awesome though.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:55:39 PM »
Personally, I hate the button fly on 501's. And if they're not really loose, I hate jeans. Skinny jeans? fuckin' puhleez.
wish I could find me a nice pair of vintage bell bottoms. Those were THE shit!

I'm sure there's some on e-bay or CL.

I'll defo jump on a pair if I ever see one (that fits me) in one of the thrift shops in my little area, of which there are many.

The thing that strikes me as most odd about jeans as a cultural phenomenon is the color: why is it that they are all blue? it's weird when you notice it, practically everyone in a gathering or roomful of people is wearing blue pants in one form or another. Why is everybody wearing blue pants?

The only "blue" jeans I wear currently is one pair of William Rast, low-waisted, "distressed" blue jeans that I found at a thrift shop for $10. Made in USA too, so you can't beat that. My only complaint with this garment is the button fly on it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:02:43 PM by Zoops »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Opus

• Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.Opus is working their way up.
  • Last Login:May 06, 2018, 01:21:20 AM
  • 110, 100, 90, 80, 76, 70, 64, 60, 58
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:07:33 PM »
Haha the good ol' days -- Levis and Pendletons :D

REI, The Gap, Nordstroms, Eddie Bauer all took anything back, for a long ass time too.

Shit even Startbucks, it sounds dumb but if you're desperate and you got wheels - take the $10 max return and in an hour you're gonna have a hundred bucks if you can steal quick.

I'm sure there's a lot more these days, I'm retired :D

Shit was so easy to gank from thrift stores sometimes it was stupid. We used to laugh at the fools who went in gankin' shit with they fuckin' pants around they knees. I heard some funny stories from Loss Prevention from those idiots. If you gonna go out boostin' go ready to fucking run, dummies. You might be a rap star, but you ain't no track star with your pants hangin' like that.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:10:20 PM by Opus »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No artist tolerates reality -- Freidrich Neitzsche

The word "republican" comes in the dictionary right after "reptile" and just before "repugnant." -- Julia Roberts

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -- Krishnamurti

Offline theSWPK

• Oxymorphone Overlord
  • SA_Chat+
  • theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.theSWPK is working their way up.
  • Last Login:March 16, 2023, 07:00:11 PM
  • Welcome to active addiction!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 02:04:19 PM »
I was being chased by loss prevention with a friend once, and dude turns around and reaches his hand into the back of his pants and says to the loss prevention guys "nobody moves, nobody gets hurt" and they stopped dead in their tracks. It was fucking hilarious because dude didn't have anything in him. We just got the fuck out.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now fixing in a parking lot near you!

"And you dont know my complexity." - Riddick

Offline Guts

• Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 08:22:33 PM »
Zoops I picture you as a monkey wearing vintage Versace and shit.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline sambo

• Reputation Power: 2
  • sambo is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 29, 2016, 01:24:29 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 02:11:13 AM »
can confirm.

a few years ago, in tijuana, 2 pairs of 501's were worth a half gram of the good tar. one of the best currency items.

another is cheese. 2lb or 5lb blocks of cheese can be currency. as can nescafe brand instant coffee.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 03:11:25 AM »
Seriously, SWPK, how did you know what size to trade for that OxyM the other day? You didn't answer me in the other thread. Do you need to know the size / inseam beforehand, or will any size do?

I can see Levis being used for currency, especially in other countries. But how do you know what size and inseam to get? You either must have to know beforehand, or the recipient better know how to sow.

TTA meant this when he was saying Levis' are stolen from another culture:

The word "denim" come from the French "de Nîmes." Denim is a fabric traditionally made in Nîmes, France. It was also always traditionally dyed blue with indigo.

The first denim trousers were produced in Genoa, Italy. In French, Genoa is spelled Gênes. The denim trousers became associated with the location in which they were made, just like denim fabric was called denim because it was made in Nîmes.

So Gênes became jeans. Therefore American jeans were stolen from both French and Italian culture.

And the American who first invented jeans, and what later became Levis', was a man named Jacob Davis in 1873. He was a tailor from Nevada. He started making jeans for miners, ranchers, and other people who needed sturdy work clothes.

When his production capacity maxed out, he sent a proposal to the dry goods wholesaler he had been buying the bolts of denim fabric from. That wholesaler was Levi Strauss & Co. in San Francisco.

It sucks for Davis that today we call them Levis' and not Davis'. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Guts

• Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 11:48:24 AM »
I think he mightve been joking Narko...

But, I would assume you guess and get a common size. I don't think they are gonna care about inseam unless it's really short. Like pretty much all Italian brands will come in a 34-37 right now and are meant to be "stacked"... but I don't think these guys are going to Dior shows man... they probably just don't care if it's off an inch or two. I bet that at least 50% of men would not know which measurement the "rise" is... if it really fits that badly, and it's really currency, I assume they can just trade it to someone else.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 03:45:04 AM »
I think he mightve been joking Narko...

But, I would assume you guess and get a common size. I don't think they are gonna care about inseam unless it's really short. Like pretty much all Italian brands will come in a 34-37 right now and are meant to be "stacked"... but I don't think these guys are going to Dior shows man... they probably just don't care if it's off an inch or two. I bet that at least 50% of men would not know which measurement the "rise" is... if it really fits that badly, and it's really currency, I assume they can just trade it to someone else.

See, I thought he was serious, about him and that woman getting Levis' to trade for OxyM.

You're probably right though. Get a common size and hope for the best. It just seemed odd to me because jeans are so specific. It seems like it would be a worthless trade if they didn't fit.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline sambo

• Reputation Power: 2
  • sambo is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:June 29, 2016, 01:24:29 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 03:58:02 AM »
Seriously, SWPK, how did you know what size to trade for that OxyM the other day? You didn't answer me in the other thread. Do you need to know the size / inseam beforehand, or will any size do?

I can see Levis being used for currency, especially in other countries. But how do you know what size and inseam to get? You either must have to know beforehand, or the recipient better know how to sow.

i was told to ALWAYS get 40inch waist. inseam wasnt as important. but most of these guys were wearing them LA gangbanger style. baggy and saggy, cinched together at the top like a potato sack.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 07:16:44 AM »
Zoops I picture you as a monkey wearing vintage Versace and shit.

I'm not exactly sure as to how you arrived at that mental picture, but it sounds cool, so go with it!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Guts

• Our Community Board
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 11:39:01 AM »
i was told to ALWAYS get 40inch waist. inseam wasnt as important. but most of these guys were wearing them LA gangbanger style. baggy and saggy, cinched together at the top like a potato sack.

I would think that's about right... you gotta remember Nark, not everyone dresses "nice". For some people, getting a size 40 pair of jeans when they really wear 38, means just tightening up their belt some... and I guess to some level it is the "style" but... I think a lot of straight men just don't know how to dress... not on a technical level.

I'm not exactly sure as to how you arrived at that mental picture, but it sounds cool, so go with it!

Damn Zoops! Monkeys in the illuminati and shit... it's the future.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:43:37 AM by Guts »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline thetalkingasshole

• Self-Transforming Machine Elf
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • thetalkingasshole has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:July 06, 2019, 06:22:48 AM
  • Always with an arm out and a leg up
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »
I would think that's about right... you gotta remember Nark, not everyone dresses "nice". For some people, getting a size 40 pair of jeans when they really wear 38, means just tightening up their belt some... and I guess to some level it is the "style" but... I think a lot of straight men just don't know how to dress... not on a technical level.

/derail

straight men dont know how to dress themselves?

check your microaggressions brah
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
As I grew up, I opened my eyes and saw the real world, and I began to laugh, and I haven't stopped since

Tags: