dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: the best cannabis forum on the web  (Read 5732 times)

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • MoeMentim is now quite familiar.MoeMentim is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
the best cannabis forum on the web
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »
international cannagraphic:  https://www.icmag.com/ic/index.php

It's mainly a grow site but full of info on anything cannabis related. among it's members are countless breeders who've been in the game forever, guys like Sam Skunkman who bred the original skunk in the 70's. 

wanna read some cool ass stories about major league guerilla growing in the 70's?  read the posts by madjag & mofeta.  seriously, it reads like a drug adventure novel & a partners of madjag's may have the actual novel up on amazon by now:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=230368

here's a few of my small grows inside a stealthy modified rifle cabinet 10ish years ago:  https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=143462

Post Merge: September 20, 2018, 08:01:03 AM
for instance:

During the mid 1970’s a number of enterprising young lads decided to grow their own smoke. They were tired of the typical mid-grade Mexi brick and moved to action because of the difficulty of finding a reliable connection for higher quality sativa. The hit or miss quality typical for the times just didn’t fly for those who liked to get high.

A close friend of mine had a contact he called “The Postman”. This guy was a retired postman (for real!) and would go down to the Mexican lake district below Douglas and Agua Prieta (AP) on fishing trips. He towed a trailer with a small outboard motorboat, the type most single fishermen used back then; it was aluminum, 15-22 feet long, with a trusty Evinrude strapped on the back end and a red-padded seat for the captain. The Postman had a bit fancier version in that it sported a hard aluminum covered front end, maybe only 3-4 feet of coverage, that was open to the inside of the boat yet offered a convenient stash area for extra gas, a cooler, and perhaps a trolling motor and battery. Typically if you looked in a boat like this you’d see some life vests and maybe a spare gas tank under this covered prow.

Every so often, in addition to his catch, the Postman would have roughly 40-80 pounds of primo herb, lightly pressed, stashed in this compartment. He didn’t hide it except to put his usual items in front of this cargo and drove through customs like he hadn’t a care in the world. The AP crossing back then and the American Douglas side gatekeepers all knew the guy and for at least 6-7 years he was my friend’s secret weapon, a totally reliable source of top-tier Michoacan, Guerroran, and Oaxacan herb.

Most of the Mexican weed was slowly but surely trending toward seedless over the advancing years. The smuggler/transporters from south to north in Mexico learned that it made a lot more money to move less quantity and higher quality. Later they’d do both and make a double-killing! Local Mexican growers with old-time knowledge, techniques like cultivating only seedless weed, sensimilla, in remote areas and distant mountain slopes, far enough from neighboring grower’s plots so the genetics could keep reliable potency, taste, and production, had unique strains that were often the basis for the first generation of southwestern American growers’ seed stock in the 1960’s through the 1970’s. The postman specialized in this kind of stash, my friend dealt it from Tempe, and I grew it in a remote canyon along the Mogollon Rim.

Roberto, my dealer friend, collected a magnificent selection of his favorite weed seeds from the many shipments he middled over a 3-4 year period. His dream was to eventually grow it himself and let go of the need to deal with the uncertainty of relying upon such a dangerous and fragile import scheme, even though his fisherman friend seemed bulletproof. The border was just starting to gear up over the immense amount of weed hitting the fence and the exponentially increasing numbers of gringos involved in the smuggling business. It took the border protectors by surprise and for awhile it seemed that the gates were open. Time was good to the Postman, as well, and he ultimately retired without a single bust or problem, probably a fairly rich man. Lucky for me that I was blessed to obtain some of the strains Roberto collected and that these initial seeds were top-tier. Luckier still was the fact that the resulting smoke we grew kicked ass and no amount we could provide would ever meet the demand.

California’s Emerald Triangle, north of the S.F. Bay, encompasses deep redwood forests, rolling green hills, year-round streams, lots of remote land with few towns, and a blessed year-round climate. Lots of hippies with time on their hands helped create the plantation boom as many, many moved away from big cities and homesteaded these hills. In 1973, coastal towns like Mendocino, Garberville, and other hamlets boomed with this influx. Guerrilla growing in this new Emerald Triangle of northern Cali coastal counties like Mendocino, Trinity, and Humboldt became a lifestyle for many and inspired others across the US to do the same. Articles on growing techniques, camouflage grow sites, water sourcing, and other related topics filled the pages of High Times magazine and reached tens of thousands of hungry teens, dropouts, and entrepreneurial spirits in the finest fashion of capitalism.

I was one of these young homesteaders. I chose Arizona instead of Cali. At the time I really didn’t know what I wanted to do as a “career” and was totally drawn to the adventure of being a mountain-canyon bandito, growing knock-out weed in the hidden realms of the labyrinthine canyons of Arizona’s Rim country. I had spent several years prior exploring the state, hiking and camping in dozens of remote wilderness canyons that were accessible by foot only, places that even very few hunters ever travelled in those days. I was mesmerized by the austere, rugged beauty that filled these places and the endless possibilities for exploration that were present as one canyon tied into another and then another. I had found my new home, my new profession, and my new love all in one big package. Little did I know that I would become one of the first few to begin a strange, exciting tradition in an area to become known as Arizona’s Emerald Triangle.

I had heard stories that there were a few hippies growing in rough-cut patches, mostly on remote private land, throughout the state. More still were planting in tucked-away properties in the rural areas of Cottonwood, Prescott, Arivaca, Aravaipa, Jerome, Payson, Centerville, Camp Verde, Sedona, Leupp, and Young. I didn’t have land of my own and even if I had, it seemed like a bad idea to grow there. No, for me it was National Forest, difficult to reach areas with little if any public lands ranching. I had done my homework and researched areas that might fit the bill.

One special canyon stood out. A long, long hike would be involved with every visit to the proposed growing site, however its remoteness and inaccessibility made it ideal. Could I really put in the effort and sustain the weekly energy required to make it happen? How could I fashion a lifestyle friendly to such an endeavor? Would my wife call me an idiot and tell me to split? At 24 years old I was full of determination and had plenty of time on my unemployed hands. Keeping enough cash to keep going and see me through daily life would become the most difficult part of my plan and not the actual guerrilla work program I had embarked upon. Paying everyday bills required a steady job and I had just signed up for a brand new one that only paid 8 months later at harvest…and then some!

Somehow my partner and I made it happen. We both worked funky jobs and became weedmen on the weekends. The plan was to quit our jobs at harvest so we could bring in the goods and reap the benefits. Balancing a daily job just wouldn’t fly so we had to get ready for the chance of success.

Northern Arizona has an outrageous number of canyons that are suitable for guerrilla growing. Names like Red Metal Canyon, Wet Bottom Creek, Haigler Creek, Black River, Fossil Creek, Sycamore Canyon (there’s at least 5 on the state map), Gordon Canyon, East Verde River, Houston Creek, and dozens more pepper the map along the Mogollon Rim, the huge 200 mile-wide escarpment that runs northwest to southeast across the middle of the state and delineates the southernmost edge of the massive Colorado Plateau. With an average elevation of 6500-7500 feet above sea level, the plateau has ample time and distance as it drops off into the myriad of canyons cut into its southern edge to facilitate either getting lost, being hidden, or providing for other ingenious ideas. And we sure had some of the latter.

The Emerald Triangle of Arizona is the rough area that ranges from Sycamore Canyon on the western edge of the Verde Valley to Payson and its many stream-filled canyonettes on the east and south down to the East Verde River at the north end of the Mazatzal Wilderness and following the Verde River proper west. This acreage spans across several counties and sums up an area about the size of the state of Massachusetts and Connecticut combined….roughly. If you include Mingus Mountain and Jerome as well as Prescott and its environs you could quote larger.

Few growers knew each other even though they might be working the canyon right next door, and in some cases growers were discovered to be planting patches in the same canyon many miles apart with entirely different access points. Busts eventually ensued because of loose lips and big egos, but our canyon and several more never had a hitch. One grower I knew had a small group from a Sedona hiking club pass right through his garden. Though taken by surprise, he sat them down and told them what he was doing and why. They promised not to spill the beans and he continued, amazingly to all of us who would have canned it, to finish his season and bring in the harvest. He had some serious Mojo and he was crazy to boot. Hats off to him.

To be continued….
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=230368

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:45:54 AM by MoeMentim »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MoeMentim (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • MoeMentim is now quite familiar.MoeMentim is now quite familiar.
  • Last Login:May 25, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
  • Our Harm Reduction & Safe Using forum
Re: the best cannabis forum on the web
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:43:09 AM »
bump, read it
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions