dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Reality Check: Marijuana Did Not Kill Carly Fiorina's Daughter, So What Did?  (Read 11058 times)

Offline Spore (OP)

• Drexciyan Warrior
  • Regular
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Spore is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 30, 2019, 05:33:18 AM
  • I, a Universe of atoms, an atom in the Universe...
Reality Check: Marijuana Did Not Kill Carly Fiorina's Daughter, So What Did?
Are Jeb Bush and Carly Fiorina hypocrites for their views on marijuana? Ben Swann gives their statements a reality check you won't see anywhere else.

Great video, topic of discussion and lots of truth bombs dropped. I just didn't like his statement about banning prescription drugs or banning anything. This is America, the land of the free. The right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Banning things is not American, is wrong, does more harm than good and is never the answer. Other than that this video was pretty good/great.

http://truthinmedia.com/reality-check-bush-fiorina-views-on-marijuana/

It didn’t get much time in the CNN debate, but the issue of marijuana did come up.

At issue: are these candidates actually hypocrites for their views on marijuana?

And do they know what they are talking about, or are they selling fear?

This is a Reality Check you won’t see anywhere else.

During last week’s CNN debate there were a lot of issues that came up. Mostly, the candidates talked about each other. But in the slim sections that dealt with policy, one issue had some fairly interesting responses: marijuana.

“There is a prominent example on this stage of someone who says they smoked pot in high school and yet the people going to jail for this are often poor people, often blacks and Hispanics, and yet the rich kids who use drugs aren’t,” Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul said, calling out Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

“Forty years ago I smoked marijuana,” he said. “I admit it, and I am sure there are other people up here who might have also, and might not want to admit it in front of 25 million people. My mom’s not happy that I just did.”

Yes, Bush admits that 40 years ago he smoked marijuana. He’s probably right that at least some of the other candidates against him for president have as well.

So what?

The real issue is one of hypocrisy.

Does Bush, or other politicians, have one set of standards for themselves and one set for others?

“In Florida, Governor Bush campaigned against medical marijuana, which means that a small child who has 500 seizures a day and is failing on nine different medications, and if you try, they will take the child away and put the family in jail,” Paul said. “And in Florida, that’s what that means. If you are against people using medical marijuana, you are willing to put them in jail and kids who have influence like you don’t go to jail. Poor kids go to jail. You want to put poor people in jail.”

“I don’t want to put poor people in jail,” Bush replied. “It was on the ballot and as a citizen of Florida I voted no.”

So Bush voted against medical marijuana as a private citizen only? Actually, no.

In 2014, the Tampa Bay Times reported that Bush did in fact campaign against Florida’s medical marijuana initiative, saying, “I strongly urge Floridians to vote against Amendment 2 this November.” The medical marijuana bill in Florida failed.

Then, former HP CEO Carly Fiorina jumped into the conversation.

“My husband frank and I buried a child to drug addiction,” Fiorina said. “So we must invest more in the treatment of drugs. I agree with Senator Paul about states rights but we are misleading young people when we say that marijuana is like having a beer, and the marijuana that kids are smoking today is not the same as what Jeb Bush smoked 40 years ago.”

So let’s talk about those two claims. Is marijuana like having a beer?

No. It’s actually safer.

According to the federal government’s national survey on drug use and health, marijuana causes fewer trips to the emergency room than alcohol or even over-the-counter pharmaceuticals per 1,000 users.

Here’s another fact: according to the Centers for Disease Control, 1 in 10 deaths among working-age adults can be attributed to excessive alcohol use. Alcohol poisonings account for more than 2,000 American deaths every year. Meanwhile, most experts say there has never been a documented overdose death from marijuana use in someone without an underlying condition.

So what Fiorina says here isn’t true.

What is also not true? That marijuana led to the death of her daughter.

When Fiorina said, “My husband Frank and I buried a child to drug addiction,” that drug was not marijuana. In fact, according to Fiorina’s own book Rise to the Challenge, she claims that her step-daughter’s struggles with alcohol, prescription pills and bulimia led to her death at age 35.

It’s at the end of the first prologue that Fiorina writes, “Lori’s potential was never fulfilled but death is not the only thing that crushes potential. . . . What I also know is that Americans are failing to achieve their potential today.”

So what you need know is that while technically Fiorina didn’t say which drug was responsible for her daughter’s death, she was entirely dishonest by making the statement out of her mouth about marijuana use.

Why isn’t Fiorina calling for a ban on prescription painkillers? Why not a ban on alcohol?

Meanwhile, marijuana—which we should be calling cannabis—comes in hundreds of strains. And today, tens of thousands of American families are benefiting from cannabis oil, which is curing children of epilepsy and treating people with cancer.

Fiorina’s statements and the policies she advocates would rob those families of hope, while doing nothing to prevent the tragedy she and her husband went through.

That’s Reality Check. Let’s talk about this on Twitter @BenSwann_

Ben Swann is an investigative journalist working tirelessly to dissolve the left/right paradigm prevalent in most mainstream media narratives. As a news reporter and anchor in the earlier days of his career, he has gained a wealth of experience while earning two Emmy Awards and two Edward R. Murrow awards. In addition to heading the Truth In Media Project, Ben is the prime anchor at WGCL-TV in Atlanta, GA. He can be seen anchoring live at 4 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 6 p.m., and 11 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday. A stream is available at cbs46.com.

Offline 40mgtofreedom

• Reputation Power: 4
  • 40mgtofreedom is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:January 11, 2017, 07:52:53 AM
  • /home/stackhammer
my DICK!!!

mwahahha
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline suboxstitute

• Reputation Power: 12
  • suboxstitute is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 06, 2021, 01:44:25 PM
I just wanted to post on this thread to say Carly Fiorina is a fucking liar about this, and about the supposed Planned Parenthood video that she "saw" (impossible, because what she was talking about never occured that way on video, pictures were cobbled together and a quote taken out of context and.... there you go.   AGENDA!)

Her impassioned statement about the EVILS of marijuana and "burying a child to drug abuse"  (implying it was pot, or starting from pot) is ridiculous.    Sadly people think 'cause it's on TV it's gotta be true. 

I really hate this whole election cycle. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Jiddu Krishnamurti, Indian philosopher 1895-1986

monkawat

I just wanted to post on this thread to say Carly Fiorina is a fucking liar about this, and about the supposed Planned Parenthood video that she "saw" (impossible, because what she was talking about never occured that way on video, pictures were cobbled together and a quote taken out of context and.... there you go.   AGENDA!)

Her impassioned statement about the EVILS of marijuana and "burying a child to drug abuse"  (implying it was pot, or starting from pot) is ridiculous.    Sadly people think 'cause it's on TV it's gotta be true. 

I really hate this whole election cycle.

You're not referring to this video right?

Is Fiorina talking about some other alleged video of actual abortions or something?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

monkawat

NVM- Just read this from a diff. article

At the last Republican presidential debate, Fiorina described a video from an anti-abortion group, Center for Medical Progress, that showed “a fully formed fetus on the table, its heart beating, its legs kicking, while someone says we have to keep it alive to harvest its brain.”
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Fiorina is just another lying sack of shit. her big "accomplishment" was running Hewlett Packaard into the ground.

There is a ton of false or falsified information on the internernet and political hit groups funded by super PACs that can grant a candidate and their orgainization plausible deniability in the lies and misinfoemation they spread. remeber "Swiftboating?" or the false "Acorn"videos?

I find it more than a little ironic that the same people who are so hysterically anti-abortion tend to be pro-war and pro death penalty.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

monkawat

I find it more than a little ironic that the same people who are so hysterically anti-abortion tend to be pro-war and pro death penalty.

Right?

I am pro-life, anti-war (who the fuck is pro-war in the US anyways?), and certainly anti-capital punishment. Choosing only the first stance while having opposing views on the second two is just bizarre and retarded. And the latter is derived primarily from a merely financial standpoint/justification. It simply costs way too fucking much to execute someone via the insane appeals processes and special housing designed for death row inmates. The yearly cost of a death row inmate's incarceration is more than double that of a LWOP sentenced inmate.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...

Right?

I am pro-life, anti-war (who the fuck is pro-war in the US anyways?), and certainly anti-capital punishment. Choosing only the first stance while having opposing views on the second two is just bizarre and retarded. And the latter is derived primarily from a merely financial standpoint/justification. It simply costs way too fucking much to execute someone via the insane appeals processes and special housing designed for death row inmates. The yearly cost of a death row inmate's incarceration is more than double that of a LWOP sentenced inmate.

It's there. The people who blindly support Israel treatment of Palestinians, the people who openly talk about atacking Iran rather than agreeing to a treaty in which they are giving up nuclear materials and overal works toward better raltions between our two countries.

The abortion/death penalty conundrum is, I think, based in racism and our underlying anger at the poor for being poor. Those same peole also tend to believe in denying food and medical benefits for the economically disadvantaged which in the big picture amounts to shorter life spans and is murder through inaction and denial of available resources.

Another aspect to the death penalty is that mistakes are made and innocent men are executed. Courts have even excluded eonerating evidence basically over technicalities.

And not to forget, war and "defense" is big fucking business and we are the world's number one arms dealers. More irony, ISIS is well supplied with US hardware we left behind or gave to undisciplined Iraqis, who dropped their weapons and ran when confronted by (SMALLER) ISIS  forces.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:15:52 AM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

monkawat

Right?

It's there. The people who blindly support Israel treatment of Palestinians, the pople who openly talk about atacking Iran rather than agreeing to a treaty in which they are giving up nuclear materials and overal works toward better raltions between out two countries.

The abortion/death penalty conundrum is, I think, based in racism and our underlying anger at the poor for being poor. Those same peole also tend to believe in denying food and medical benefits for the economically disadvantaged whihc in the big picture amounts to shorter life spans and is murder through inaction.

And nott o forget war and "defense" is big fucking business and we are the world's number one arms dealers. More irony, ISIS is well supplied with US hardware we left behind or gae to undisciplined Iraqis, who dropped their weapons and ran when confronted by (SMALLER) ISIS  forces.

I was leaving out the merchants of death in this country. I just forgot about the regular, everyday citizens who are in essence, still "pro-war". Interesting input DC.

But hey now, let's not be talkin' bout Israel mane... lol jk
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions