dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Color Vision for the Colorblind (Red-Green)  (Read 7179 times)

Offline Morfy (OP)

• Free Falling Around The World
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 01:44:51 AM
  • Enjoying the stelliferous era--while it lasts
    • THE DRUGS AND USERS CHAT ROOM
Color Vision for the Colorblind (Red-Green)
« on: March 30, 2016, 08:42:18 AM »
I will discuss this later, as I am late for work.

But if you know someone who is Red-Green Colorblind (Protanopia) there are glasses with a special filter in them that allow people to differentiate colors as most people can.

Being able to tell red flowers from green leaves comes as a shock when people first wear the glasses--but more dramatic (usually) is when people see PURPLE for the first time.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing people seeing true color for the first time; or even the actual color of their childrens' eyes!  It can be tear jerking, if you're emotionally labile.

Here is the main company: http://enchroma.com/

The glasses are expensive, but usually groups of friends get together & pitch in to buy their friend a pair.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
All matter is simply cooled and condensed energy.

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Re: Color Vision for the Colorblind (Red-Green)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 04:52:50 PM »
When I was in college a friend offered me the summer job of painting his house. I forget which color he specified but we all knew he was color-blind, so we went to the hardware store and got about a dozen different paint sample chips (bookmark strips of paper with about 6 similar hues of a color paint on each one) and enough of a completely identical strips of a different color.

We then removed all of one exact paint sample and glued them over the original strips labelled with haf a dozen different names on each strip. Meaning, we prepared about a dozen identical but wildly differenty labelled strips.

We gave them to him and asked which one he preferred.

The poor guy kept trying to tell the difference , even took them outside for better light and was completely fooled. He finally gave in and said, "I don't know, they all look the same to me. Which one do you think?"

At that point my friends and I finally let him in on the joke and we all had a good laugh. He was a really good sport about it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zoops

• Filius non bonum de canis femina.
  • Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.Zoops has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
  • Keeping the wolves at bay with a sharp stick.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 05:15:09 PM »
I don't see how this could work, really. If it's a filter, then how does that overcome the lack of retinal cells sensitive to certain wavelengths of light? A filter just eliminates some wavelengths of light, allowing certain ones to be transmitted through.

Color-blindness is a sex-linked trait. Males are more likely to be color blind because the gene for color sightedness is on the "X" sex chromosome. Since females have two copies of this one, and males only have one, if a male has a "bad" copy of this gene (or combination of genes, more likely), he doesn't have another one to fall back on, in the form of another "x" chromosome, like females do. A female can be color blind, but only if she gets really unlucky and has two bad copies of this gene family on both "X" chromosomes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 05:16:57 PM by Zoops »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
"You can observe a lot just by watching."
- Yogi Berra

"Drugs are so fucking good....that they'll ruin your life."
- Louis C.K.

Offline Guts

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:26:50 PM »
^That's also why balding is more common in men.

This is pretty cool... I always wondered the opposite... how color blind people see colors.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DiCaprio

• Reputation Power: 3
  • DiCaprio is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:August 17, 2016, 08:49:43 PM
  • Reduce Harm, Connect and Educate !
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 03:31:55 PM »
I don't see how this could work, really. If it's a filter, then how does that overcome the lack of retinal cells sensitive to certain wavelengths of light? A filter just eliminates some wavelengths of light, allowing certain ones to be transmitted through.

Color-blindness is a sex-linked trait. Males are more likely to be color blind because the gene for color sightedness is on the "X" sex chromosome. Since females have two copies of this one, and males only have one, if a male has a "bad" copy of this gene (or combination of genes, more likely), he doesn't have another one to fall back on, in the form of another "x" chromosome, like females do. A female can be color blind, but only if she gets really unlucky and has two bad copies of this gene family on both "X" chromosomes.
Dang man. Dudes gotta be ready for you lol.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 07:14:29 PM »

I suspect the lenses shift the wavelenghts of the light to conform to the range of colors the otherwise color-blind can see. They may not be seeing them exactly as you and I see them but they would be different enough to be seen by the door-blind. Colorblindess isn't like a black and white TV where no colors are seen, at least not usually. It is the inability to distiguish some colors from others.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:19:31 PM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline makadone7dayz3

• Reputation Power: 15
  • makadone7dayz3 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 30, 2017, 04:20:58 AM
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 09:18:17 PM »
Not sure is this is relevant but there are two main theories of color vision the tricromiatic theory (we have three different types of cones that have different response rates to colors. There are thee waves lengths short medium and long. The second is the opponent process theory which says that we see colors in terms of opposites meaning we see colors on a continunium. We see colors because of excitaion of one cell and that inhibits another cell. My guess is that the glasses turn the light into a wavelenth that pur retinal bipolar cells can better detect.

The technical reason for color blindness is because certain people lack certain types of cones or because the cones have the same photopigment instead of different ones for dofferent colors.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Morfy (OP)

• Free Falling Around The World
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.Morfy is working their way up.
  • Last Login:September 29, 2017, 01:44:51 AM
  • Enjoying the stelliferous era--while it lasts
    • THE DRUGS AND USERS CHAT ROOM
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
Zoops,

Here is MIT's explanation: [size=78%]https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601782/how-enchromas-glasses-correct-color-blindness/[/size]

Here's a video of a young colorblind man seeing certain colors for the first time (wearing the special glasses):

If you see the image below, color blindness occurs because some Greens and Reds have really, really similar wavelengths, only slightly different (between 550 and 580 nm).  So little difference that the mutation in the cone cells doesn't allow differentiation between the two colors.

The glasses somehow make the confusing Green color more green, and the confusing Red color, more red.

Image result for how colorblind glasses work

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
All matter is simply cooled and condensed energy.

Offline Esoteric Anhydride

• I <3 Mods
  • Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Esoteric Anhydride has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:October 14, 2019, 06:26:54 AM
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 04:29:05 AM »
Wow rad it's Morphy!1!

Innerestin' subject. I wonder if any of this has anything to do with muh brain's desire to confoozle oinge 'n green sometimes?

But only sometimes.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 11:59:26 AM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 06:01:38 AM »
I always wondered if they get confused at traffic lights ... I know one is on the top and the other on the bottom but surely one would have to look twice and again on quiet streets.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline bonedust

• A High Tension Wire
  • SA_Chat+
  • bonedust has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:August 09, 2023, 09:03:53 PM
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 08:36:53 PM »
My husband is partially color-blind. I love playing the "what color is this?" game with him. He got tested and it was confirmed. So far I know he can't see light greens and pinks--they look beige to him.

One of my ex's was also color-blind. As for street lights he knew where on the box they were and could tell when one was lit up.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it."-Malcolm X

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal