dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: ----• Uber •----  (Read 6700 times)

Offline QuittingTomorrow (OP)

• One Bad Motherfucker
  • Regular
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • QuittingTomorrow is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 20, 2016, 12:18:30 PM
  • It is what it is and it ain't what it was
----• Uber •----
« on: May 10, 2016, 01:24:28 AM »
Anybody on here drive for Uber or Lyft?  I have a friend who just started with Uber and he made like $200 on cinco de mayo here in NOLA (French Quarter).  I was just curious if anyone drove for them.  It seems like a pretty easy way to make a little cash without doing too much work for those who can't risk hustling.  All you need is a car, DL, insurance, smart phone, and be able to pass a minimal background check.  All they look for is DUIs, violent crimes, and sex offences.  From start to finish my boy got up running for business in two or three days.  I think he keeps eighty percent of the fares plus gratuities.  I might give it whirl.  It also can give you a decent excuse for being in a shitty neighborhood. --- Let me know what think.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I used to do drugs, I still do, but I used to too - Hedberg

I spent half my money on gambling, booze, and wild women; the other half I just wasted. - Fields

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
Re: ----• Uber •----
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 05:55:31 AM »
*bump*
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Offline QueensVet

• Reputation Power: 3
  • QueensVet is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:March 19, 2018, 09:21:49 AM
  • E Z Rider, wanna smoke?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:04:25 AM »
With my baby coming and me being in college I am very interested in this as a part time gig. I would also like to know. I know if you google indeed with the business name you get some testimonials from previous or current employees. Ima check that out now.
http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Uber-Partner-Drivers/reviews
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Living Maintenance, Opio-survival.
When I was in the Navy, they made us sweep puddles in the rain.

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:44:05 AM »
I have mixed feelings about both companies.

On the one hand it is an opportunity to make some money if you are un/underemployed but that' about the best I can say for it/them.

I know they are both acting like companies with drivers being eployees but all the drivers are "independent contractors" (1099 tax status) and offer no benefits or unionizing opportunity to drivers. Ive also seen that because payment is electronic andgratuities (tips) are voluntariy added on that it is up to the companies to pass them on to the drivers but at least one of the two is in legal trouble for NOT paying drivers their tips.

Passengers are taking more risk with these services than with a taxi. Taxi companies and drivers are almost always tightly regulated and must be properly insured, vehicles inspected clearly identifiable and visibly numbered, not so with Uber/Lyft. And you don't REALLY know who is going to come looking for you when you ask for a ride. Someone could be sharing the account with a friend who isn't on record. Plus, I believe you need a different level of insurance to operate as a taxi or "ride for hire" but it isn't clear that the extra insurnce is required by the companies. This could be a big deal if there is an accident. 

Then there's the fact that these services undercut the properly regualted taxi businesses and drivers bcause they do away with the overhead costs these companies must bear, incuding vehicle wear and tear along with the legal stuff.

SO while I see the convenience and cost appeal, ethically I just can't get on board with the way they do business at this point.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:50:56 AM by DeadCat »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 10:19:06 AM »
Last I checked uber and lyft drivers still don't have to get better insurance, which is the main argument that taxi companies and drivers have against them. The last time I took a taxi  i talked to the driver about it, and i think she was paying either $300 or $500 a month for her insurance to drive the taxi, and said that if someone gets an accident they have to have a minimium of like $250,000 or a million for the coverage and uber doesn't have to do any of that which is why they can be cheaper than taxis.

I have a few friends that drive for uber most of them seem to do both, the last time i took one was in oklahoma city and the girl did both but said that she gets a little bit better pay from lyft because they have a higher percentage of total cost that goes back to them. She also said that she got a lot more business doing it for lyft like for every 5-10 lyfts she would do one uber. My friend that does both in Denver said she makes more money with lyft and likes them better, but she didn't mention why or which she got more business from.

A guy I used to work with said he makes decent money with it, i remember he made $400 in one night on a holiday, and that it pays decent as a part time gig but he wouldn't be able to rely on i full time. I hope this helps you guys, if you have any specific questions let me know and I will see if i can get a hold of someone for you. Let us know how it goes if you do try it, my cars too old and beat up to do it and I have a DUI so i cant do it but it'd be nice to know.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Esoteric Anhydride

• I <3 Mods
  • Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Esoteric Anhydride has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:October 14, 2019, 06:26:54 AM
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 12:36:03 PM »
My girl does this, I'll probably start driving for Lyft later this year. Lyft definitely seems better than Uber, better custys, better fares and tips -- Uber doesn't pay tips.

I drove a cab in Seattle for awhile. Insurance was a non-issue, the biggest issue was red-light cameras and the paperwork I had to file with 5 of the different cities I drove in.

Both Lyft and Uber now require a business license, I think this will weed out a lot of drivers so the pay might improve a bit here soon. We figure the amount of money you make totally depends on where you work, we're in the bay area atm and it's probably, aside from maybe NYC and MAYBE LA, the best place in the US to do this. Also it's VERY VERY hard to get a cabby gig in SF, at least it was a few years ago. Now with uber and lyft there is a TON more opportunity for the average schmuck to get a driving gig in SF, and without a bunch of overhead. I think this is a GOOD thing, why should all the driving gigs be reserved for assholes who aren't really that good at it anyway? Cabs are notoriously shady, with these companies, you can't be shady, you'll get bad reviews and people won't hire you. Try giving a cab driver a bad review and see what happens, you'd get laughed at.

IMO this is really a far superior model over the cab business, it brings in accountability for the drivers and sets a cleanliness standard for the cars. I'd much rather ride in a CLEAN car driven by a fluent english speaker than some smoky, pukey, dingy ass cab driven by some greasy non-english speaking random.

These companies are also generally MUCH faster than cabs. It's not uncommon for a cab request to take an hour or more. With Lyft I could have someone at the door in under half an hour. Really my only complaint is that both companies require cell phones and credit cards.

We're happy to answer questions, my gf has probably done 3-400 rides between the two companies.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline dizzle

• that nizzle
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:February 15, 2019, 02:40:50 AM
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 01:06:37 PM »
I spoke with a dude that gave me a lift the other day, he was a lyft driver, but I actually just paid him cash instead, but anyway, he told me that Uber doesn't pay you until the week is over, for your fares, but lyft pays you every day, transfers the $ to your account that evening.

I personally would be homeless before I drove for uber. That owner of that company is the biggest dickbag I've ever read about. Why would you want to contribute to him? He has publicly stated several times that he's investing millions into the "self-driving cars" and that as soon as he legally can, he's firing all the drivers, and replacing them with self driving cars. He gives NO SHITS about the people that made him rich, and would throw them all out on the curb if it made him A LITTLE BIT MORE RICH. He has done some really dirty shit as far as bribing politicians, and there's the whole "uber ambassador" program, where they used trusted drivers, armed them with burner cells and prepaid ccards, and had them repeatedly book taxi's and lyft rides, and then before the ride showed up, they'd cancel it. Essentially they tied up as many drivers as they could that worked for other companies, so that uber would be the only ones on the street. FUCK Travis Kalanick. I hate that fucking guy.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Esoteric Anhydride

• I <3 Mods
  • Tech
  • SA_Chat+
  • Esoteric Anhydride has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:October 14, 2019, 06:26:54 AM
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 01:41:41 PM »
IDK personally anything about the owner of Uber -- he does sound dickish but I'm not really in a position to turn away a perfectly good driving job. Dunno about you but I'm kinda over being homeless..

It's true that Lyft pays faster. They seem to be a better company in just about every aspect, I'd sign up for Uber probably just for the bonuses but drive mostly for Lyft once those are cleared, when my GF started she made like 800 in a weekend due to the bonuses offered at the time. Helluva a way to start, and it's really awesome to have the money you earned in your account within hours of your shift.

The ability to work when I want without having to sell off the rights to my first-born and without a major inquiry into my background and work-history is a *massive* bonus. The freedom these companies offer is really second to none.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline dizzle

• that nizzle
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.dizzle is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:February 15, 2019, 02:40:50 AM
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »
ur right about that man. u make some good points there.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Chip

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • Chip has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM
  • Deeply Confused Learner
  • Profession: IT Engineer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »
@Esoteric Anhydride that's mad money.

800 for a weekend's driving sounds hard to walk away from. Hard work due to all that concentration.

I couldn't do it though because I'm not keen on driving in general.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Our Discord Server invitation link is https://discord.gg/jB2qmRrxyD

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal