dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: Anyone tried gabapentin for withdrawal?  (Read 33583 times)

Offline Güey

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Güey is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 01, 2019, 09:12:16 AM
Re: Anyone tried gabapentin for withdrawal?
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 23, 2016, 03:00:16 PM »
I had heard about gabapentin for w/d from the 'phile, and I asked my doctor to script me some while I was coming off of methadone. Sad to say, it didn't do shit for me :(

Mostly I wanted it for the rls, which was literally almost driving me to the point of madness. All I got was a sort of pill-hangover.

I've heard lots of great things about it, though. Obviously most here love it, but it didn't do a thing for me. That being said, I also wasn't taking a massive dose of it.  It's odd how everyone reacts differently. I even went on to try ropinerole (sp?), and it didn't do shit, either... Man, I've kicked bth a few times since then, and as brutal as that is, methadone was THE worst.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
¡No mames!

Offline Specter

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Specter is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 08, 2018, 04:46:58 AM
  • Harm Reduction & Safe Using
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »
Both of us brother.

Same pretty good explanation above too.  Lyrica is definitely stronger but more side effects than Gabapentin
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jega

• My height is 3.7m to the 10th power the average radius of a hydrogen atom
  • Global Moderator
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.Jega is working their way up.
  • Last Login:June 21, 2018, 03:41:56 AM
  • Screwed if I ever wake up in Vegas
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 03:28:20 PM »
Lyrica doesn't scale in how high you get the way taking tons and tons of gaba will.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Pantopon Pete

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Pantopon Pete is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 03, 2019, 09:08:17 AM
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 06:01:33 AM »
Again, late to the party (fuck you i just registered).ght getting high at a sober house

Back when I was much more active on the phile, I remember hearing about gaba here and there. But it's only been in the past 2, 2.5 years that I finally realized the miracle that is the gaba detox/maintenence.

I was sick as shit,  having been kicked out for using at my sober house, when I found a purse discarded on the side of the road. All it had worth keeping was one of those Magnum sized prescription bottles of gabapentin. Unfortunately, the 100mg dosage. A friend in rehab swore by their efficacy at keeping WDs at bay, at a dose of about 1800-2400mg. That seemed a little steep to me, so I tried 8. Took FOREVER to kick in, but when it did, I was fucking FINE. Plus the shit made me loopy as hell.

I remember I lucked into some money shortly thereafter, and the shot of dope I did was potentiated massively, as well.

I prefer the shit to subs, to be quite honest. To be fair, though, I hate subs.

IDK why it isn't de rigeuer in all detoxes.

In the two years since, I've made sure to always maintain a healthy script for the low moments. Plus docs will write for it no problem, IME.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Reezy

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Reezy is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:November 20, 2018, 02:50:54 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 10:05:45 AM »
What do you tell the doctors? Nerve pain? Off lable anxiety? I hear it's really easy to get but I still have a fear of denial or being labeled a drug seeker.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Pantopon Pete

• Pantopon Pete is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:October 03, 2019, 09:08:17 AM
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »
What do you tell the doctors? Nerve pain? Off lable anxiety? I hear it's really easy to get but I still have a fear of denial or being labeled a drug seeker.

Seems like just about everything. RLS and anxiety always worked for me. And I'm the type of guy never gets dick from doctors, my history is so full of rehabs and detoxes and MMT and jail and etc. etc. etc.

Me and my girl both get a standing order for 3x300mg a day. So we've got quite a safety stash. Sometimes I'll curl up with it like Marion at the end of Requiem for a Dream. And then I'm like, why did I just do ass to ass in front of a bunch of screaming creeps for gabapentin?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Opi-ette

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Opi-ette is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 05, 2021, 02:27:50 PM
  • “I can resist everything except temptation.”
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2016, 07:41:18 AM »

I never had luck with getting it off label from my shrink, but he will script xanax and Adderall without a second thought. My PM doc suggested it for my nerve pain. Every doc is different so feel him/her out, but its prescribed for nerve pain and Dr's tend to shy away from off label use. At least the ones I've run across.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Bambee49

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Bambee49 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 02, 2016, 02:56:31 PM
  • From baltimore to philly
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »
This stuff saved my ass many times going through w/d but I found the come down just as rough as regular w/d unless I took a lot of sleeping pills toward the end. Honestly it reminded me a lot of Molly as far as the high of it. Good luck dude I wouldn't wish w/d on my worst enemy!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline DeadCat

• Deceased
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.DeadCat is now getting very popular.
  • Last Login:June 07, 2017, 04:01:37 PM
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2016, 02:37:41 PM »
Before she had a fatal OD my little sister who had a long history of opiate use and a CPP had at least 5 OD's that required paramedics and Narcan to revive her. She wasn't slamming big doses, either. However she WAS taking lots of gabapenitn and other non-narcotics (no benzos) to help with her pain after she moved out of Florida and her new doctors kept yo-yo'ing her around with on again off-again 'scripts for dilaudid and maybe ER morphine.

I was always been convinced that although her death was ruled an accidental overdoe of heroin and fentanyl others and myself did the same dope and didn't have problems. I used to think it was buprenorphne still in my system even after abstaining for a couple days so I could enjoy some dope. And I did a shitload of it.

My thinking now is that SOMETHING prescribed potentiated the dope she shot enough to kill her. Gabapentin is my first thought.

Unless someone knows better, I'd caution anyone taking it not to get high alone until you are sure they aren't dangerous together.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Bambee49

• Bambee49 is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 02, 2016, 02:56:31 PM
  • From baltimore to philly
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2016, 03:02:12 PM »
I definitely agree on that! I would never use it with anything eles. The feeling from that is enough. So sorry to here about ur sister!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mr.pooper

• Reputation Power: 18
  • Mr.pooper is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 26, 2022, 09:12:34 PM
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure I'm labeled drug seeker on my medical files, because I was honest with my doctor while going threw withdrawals/PAWS getting clean and needed help. Piece of shit. I didn't even ask for opiates or any narcotics and he labled me.

I've switched doctors since, and they all mention my opiate problem first thing when I mention my back pain. One doctor did script me gabapentin at 300mg once a day. It didn't do anything. And I discarded it away in the stash not thinking anything more of them. After reading posts mentioning to take a few grams to achieve best results, I tried the rest of the bottle. WOOOOO!!!WINNER!!!

So I made an appointment with one of my new doctors I've met only once previously before. He asked me what brings me in for today's visit, I said I wanted more gabapentin because I had run out. He strait up asked me "how much do you want?", I spit out 600mg 3 times a day and got it no questions asked. Just casually said what do I use it for, after submitting the script, I replied back nerve pain.

Another buddy of mine is prescribed gabapentin too, and says the key phrase to getting as much as you want is to say "it helps you smoke less weed". He said they scripted him as much as he wanted after that.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"If only I had checked myself"
-Guy who wrecked himself

Offline Opi-ette

• SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Opi-ette is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:April 05, 2021, 02:27:50 PM
  • “I can resist everything except temptation.”
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 03:20:51 PM »
@Mr.pooper Glad you found a good doc and were able to get the Pregablin. Its a godsend for WD's.
I said it earlier, it all depends on the Doc. Some are straight up assholes like the one that labeled you "drug seeker" after asking for help.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mr.pooper

• Reputation Power: 18
  • Mr.pooper is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 26, 2022, 09:12:34 PM
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2016, 10:53:20 PM »
@Mr.pooper Glad you found a good doc and were able to get the Pregablin. Its a godsend for WD's.
I said it earlier, it all depends on the Doc. Some are straight up assholes like the one that labeled you "drug seeker" after asking for help.

So I went to the doctor today because I believe I have bone spurs in my feet. I also wanted to get a higher gabapentin dosage. Doctor came in the room I showed him my foot and he set me up for X-rays and a podiatrist.

I then said I have a burning sensation in my back, before I could even finish talking he started off questioning me in an aggressive manor. Asking me "who are all these doctors ur seeing and they are prescribing you medications?!!?" He mentioned a flexirel sciript one other Doctor I saw like 1 year ago prescribed. He then proceeded to say, "your file says you are addicted to prescription opiods, and you are getting all these medications from other doctors like flexiral!?"...Mother fucking flexirel!!! A god damn shitty muscle relaxer!! Not an opiate! That I never even filled the script but once.

I questioned him about the flexirel and asked to be prescribed flexirel through him because he is my PCP, and I don't see any other doctors. He told me no. I couldn't believe the attitude this grown man was giving me. He mocked me for having back pain because I mentioned the burning in my lower back. He replied with "oh so the top and middle of your back just healed over night and are fine!!?" In a very smug manor. Treating me like I'm Doctor shopping to get scripts. I've never once in the course of my medical history been prescribe opiates, nor have I asked. I've never even asked for a narcotic. Yet I'm treated like a lying junkie by every Doctor I've seen In the past 4 years.

He then said with out me promoting, "let's raise your gabapentin instead of the flexiral". In a very bi-polar way. Got bumped from 180# 300mg pills too #240. He then handed me paper work and it listed all my medical problems and at the said "Problem list" and the very first thing listed wasn't even my back pain stuff. Top line of the list said, "opiate dependence in remission (HCC)"...that's the first time I've ever seen it in writing.

The happy ending is my upped GABA script. Flying high right now on GABA. Fuck you DOC.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"If only I had checked myself"
-Guy who wrecked himself

Offline Catsfordrugs

• Regular
  • SA_Chat+
  • Catsfordrugs is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:July 30, 2023, 03:57:15 PM
  • Welcome, drugs !
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2016, 11:31:46 PM »
@Mr.pooper... God damn. What a fucking dick head doctor. That was frustrating to read. The smug, judgemental bullshit just seems so contradictory to any kind of quality medical care. Really illustrates the point that once you are labeled, that shit doesn't go away. Certainly doesn't get overlooked.

I'm sure you explained how that ended up in your medical record, but I must have missed it. Regardless, I guess the lesson/take away is that being honest with your care provider will fuck you in the long term. What a shitty standard of care. I guess the one good thing is that you actually got exactly what you were hoping for. Ha! The joke is on him. Still, it is really fucked up that being honest with a doctor puts you in that situation. Once you've asked for help, you'll always be harshly judged for it. That is so fucked up. I wish I had something enlightening to add, but I really just had to comment on how frustrating that was, just to read. I'm sure it pissed you off, too. Unbelievable that 8 years of a schooling, however many years as a resident and countless patients later, this is how these fuckers have learned to treat "our kind." Fucking outrageous.

Glad you got the gaba! Ha. If he only knew, he'd probably make a special note that you shouldn't, under any circumstances be prescribed that, either. What an asshole Doctor.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline candy

• Founders
  • Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • candy has hidden their reputation power
  • Last Login:April 22, 2019, 03:23:09 PM
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2016, 04:18:06 AM »
I have never tried Gabapentin for withdrawals.
Some people find it helps a great deal and some don't.
If you can get it and it helps, that is truly a good thing.

I don't recommend mixing Gabapentin with other drugs. My mother-n-law takes started taking it recently and mixed it with several gin & tonics.
She has been drinking heavy for over 40 years and in the 11 years I have known her, I have never seen her weave or fall down, but with a few Gabapentin in her and she was a mess.

I take it for nerve pain and every now and then I take a nice extra large dose. I find it to be a pleasurable high.
I can't get it from my neurologist because I am on methadone and he is a discriminating asshole. He gave me Valium for muscle spasms ( no refills of course) but refuses to give me Gabapentin. Makes no sense. Valium and methadone= potential for overdose. Gabapentin and methadone= much safer combo. 
I get it from my brother who prefers Morphine instead, and he gets it from the VA in a very large amount.

It seems this thread should be combined with, "Is your doctor a moron?" Seems like most are.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Harm Reduction...
Enables choices, possibilities, and opportunities without imposing change.

Offline chemicalchart

• Regular
  • chemicalchart is new on the scene.
  • Last Login:December 24, 2016, 05:15:55 PM
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2016, 12:59:19 AM »
I use gabapentin for everything. Sleep. Dope sickness. Foot pain. Boredom. Potentiating what molecules are in my system. I don't encourage anyone abusing gabapentin like I do, but if you have, and it's part of your daily driver, then we could probably see eye to eye over a beer.

Except, it knocked me on my butt when I first started using it. Right? So like anything, if you aren't familiar with it, be cautious, whatever that means to you.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions