dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

This website has run out of funding so feel free to contribute if you can afford it (see footer)

Author Topic: College  (Read 11177 times)

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Reputation Power: 34
  • Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
  • Last Login:February 29, 2020, 09:21:12 PM
  • Welcome to our community forum ...
Re: College
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 30, 2016, 01:38:34 PM »
TTA what degree did you have? Do you think that you aren't able to have the career in the field you like because there aren't any jobs in that field or what do you think is the main factor behind it? Inexperience? Would you have to do another year long unpaid internship to get your foot in the door? Most of the careers I'm interested in require at least an associates if not a bachelors to even turn in a resume, but only pay $20,000-$100,000.

Do you mean don't go back to party and hang out with a bunch of 18 yr olds or do you mean at this point going to college is a waste of time and money or something else entirely? I am partied out, that is why I didn't goto school when I was 18 because I didn't want to, I wanted to party and hang out with people and live the "rockstar" life that I wanted at that time. I don't want you to think the good times I am having is because I am hanging out with a bunch of kids and trying to relive that part of my life. I don't socialize with anyone from school really.

If you mean it the other way that does make sense, I am definitely not in it for the money. The main reason I made this thread and want to finish college is because I want to have a chance at getting into a career that I like because at this point that isn't a possibility. I want to know how hard the job market is for people who have their 2 or 4 year degree, especially if they have a record, and what they do and what they want to do.

Basically I want to find out if getting your degree makes you less money than you would of had because of how much debt you took on? Did it allow you to get into a job you like and if not why? How necessary is it to have a bachelors compared to an associates? What degrees are worthless because you can't get a job in that field? Also any advice on careers that are high in demand, what careers do you think would be good that you think i'd be interested in, what jobs pay well, and different degrees cover many different career paths.

Getting denied from pizza hut, and walmart because of my record made me depressed. I just want to be able to have a job I enjoy regardless of how much I make. The main complaint that I hear from people who have graduated is that they can't find a job in their field or a job that isn't waiting tables, or 10$ an hour. However most of them got psychology degrees like every other person or something that doesn't pertain to other fields.

When I worked for a non-profit I loved it there but getting arrested ruined that. I haven't been able to find any work like it but would love to be able to work at a place like that again or one that I am interested in doing would be even better. I don't care about making $100,000 A year, I just don't want to not be constantly stressed out financially and never have money for rent.

The other reasons I like going to school is because it gives me something to do and a goal to work towards, and I really like learning especially about stuff I am interested in and things I don't know about. I don't socialize at school, but I was thinking of joining the outdoor club, to have the opportunity to go to foreign counties cheap and find people to hike, and snowboard with.

Other than that I hate being in social situations, and I very rarely talk to anyone. luckily I don't have anxiety in class like i did in high school because I am not forced into it and no one knows me so I don't have constant panic attacks like I used to. I think that it helps me with my social anxiety, and hopefully I will eventually be able to do more social stuff instead of anxiety making me agoraphobic.

The sense of accomplishment is a piece of it as well. It gives me hope that I can find a job where I can help instead of destroy the earth. I don't want to be stuck at minimum wage for the rest of my life or if I am I want to be doing something I like. I love being in class, all I do all day is look stuff up and read about it anyways, I just like studying shit. Also having something to do, being around other people in general, and working towards something has made me 1000x happier.

I go job to job because I feel stagnant when it becomes monotonous misery. It makes me super depressed until I stop going and find something new. I love training, I can't fuck up, its all new to me and I get to meet new people and learn new shit, so not making any money at a job that sucks ass is fine with me for a while but after a while I hate life.

Before I started working at habitat for humanity I thought I would never be able to stay at a job for more than a year but even though it was hard work, didn't pay that great, and some of the people sucked I loved my job and would of made a career out of it. If it was something I loved doing and was interested in I wouldn't care about the money as long as I could pay my bills.

This thread convinced me that I want to finish college which was one of the reasons I started it. I think I knew I was going to because how much I liked it last year and how depressed I got when I got arrested and lost my financial aid. All of the advice is exactly what I am looking for, to know what the job market is like from people who have their 2 and/or 4 year degree, what things to stay away from, and if helps at all from people who know from experience.

The 2 careers that I think aren't very broad like working with animals/conservation or going for a law degree would more than likely require going to grad school. I am not sure about going into them and would only do it if I knew that I can succeed in getting a job in that field and if I like school enough to do more of it, and know I will pass and be interested/dedicated as well as how the job market for it will be in the future. I'd only do that if I know for sure that is what I want to do and what other careers and fields of work I could get with that degree.

The US puts out more lawyers than any other country and that numbers been on the rise so I am thinking the market is a bit saturated. If I do what I am hoping to find a career in now I'll hopefully be putting lawyers out of work in the long run by advocating for prison/judicial system reform. I think the US is starting to go that direction because of how many middle class white people are being affected by it but I am really not sure.

I'll research what the job market is like now and what the future projections of what I am pursuing are before getting my degree. I have a year including summer to finish my associates but I think that is more important for a bachelors. so I have a bit of time to choose. Your guys advice is great because you have done it.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Narkotikon

• Honest
  • SA_Chat+
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.Narkotikon has got loads of potential.
  • Last Login:March 28, 2016, 11:31:11 PM
  • Keeping Them Honest
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »
Knowing you are currently my age, not 18 makes me feel like I have to post this
I identified with you in many previous posts and do not want you to take it the wrong way
But you are at an age NOW where being around a bunch of people 18-21
Is not going to help you mature or grow as a person
some people do, most dont from what I saw around the colleges I visited as a guest
(Vassar, Columbia, New College of FL, UF, FSU, UM, University of CO, mostly liberal places)
and at my own
College is fun because being 18-21 is fun
being 10k or more in debt (avg of 30k but FL has some of the cheapest public edu) isnt worth trying to relive that time
I think taking some classes as a non degree seeking student would be a good way to gauge how much youd get out of it

Unless you go into high-paying STEM fields where youre recruited out of school
by defense contractors, engineering firms, the govt (the military)
You will be mired in debt for years
most likely not going to find a job in your field that dont require entry level experience
which for me has somehow also required previous entry level experience

Don't not immediately go to graduate school if you choose ANYTHING but STEM
and even then, fields like bioscience are basically required to include more schooling than a bachelor's

If you want to quickly increase your earning potential get a two year degree and certifications
in some kind of computer engineering field

Me? Still currently working as a carpenter, FINALLY got a raise to $15/hr (a month late, in so many ways)
Today I am ONLY 120ft off the ground, working on the housing of FiOS cables
coming and going past those guys with the aforementioned degrees
who make anywhere from 80-200k for what looks to be a lot less dangerous, at least, than what im doing
if not infinitely more comfortable

Not exactly working in a psychopharmacology lab like I envisioned
and planned
and volunteered for 1.5 years at
and although i think it is a virtue to not be money seeking
unfortunately reality in the US is that you need to be making anywhere from 20-30k minimal to just barely survive
interestingly enough I know most of us putnour dope habits at around 10k/year
(I spent around 8k on morphine ALONE last year, probably another 10 on pot and others)

I also managed to pay 4k in auto expenses plus insurance, and 2k of interest on my loan (still owe same amount)
And am no closer to working in a job I want, or even living a life I want

When you said a student in their mid-20's isn't likely to socialize or garner the same experiences that 18-21 year old students do, I thought you made a good point. And I agree with it to a certain extent.

At a lot of community colleges and large, public universities, lots of older students enroll to complete their degrees that they stopped earlier. Or they're going back to school to study something different because they're trying to change careers. I'm sure there are other reasons too.

In that sense, going to college in your mid-20's or later isn't necessarily a bad idea. Older students won't gain the same experiences that younger students will, but they'll still gain life enriching experiences. And they're likely to socialize with other older students.

Besides, there's not a huge difference between someone who's 18-21 and someone who's 22-27, or even 22-30, IMO. People mature at different paces. I know I had more in common with someone who was 20 when I was 27 than other 27 year olds.

Plus I took two years off between my sophomore and junior years at college. I had intended to transfer to another school at the end of my sophomore year. I did, but I took a leave of absence shortly after getting there because I kept getting high and blowing off my classes.

So I went to a couple rehabs, then went to UC for a term. I lived in Clifton at the time, and again dropped out because I was getting high and fucking off. Then after another couple rehabs, I finally reenrolled at my original, first college to begin my Junior year.

So I didn't graduate two months before my 22nd birthday like intended. I graduated two months before my 24th birthday. The point of all that is to say that colleges have students who aren't 18-21. I also think people of all ages can garner life experiences at college. I know I did.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Transparency is necessary to ensure decent staff members get elected. Members need to know when staff are misbehaving, so members can be informed voters.

Offline Guts

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 11:54:01 AM »
I've been to college in and out since I was 19 (I'm now 27). To my credit, I have 25 out of 40 (I think... it may be 1 or 2 more than that) classessment completed to get a bachelor's degree. To my discredit, I don't remember anything I was supposed to have learned...

The college "experience" definitely has some merit but the older I got, the less it meant and the less I socialized. I also got in a lot of trouble when I was young at school... but that was more me than it was school. I think it definitely helps the maturing process along but you have to understand its not high school... if you miss class, no one is going to be checking up on you... personally, I didn't treat it as seriously as I should've and I think a lot of young people make that mistake.

My opinion of it is its only worth it money wise if you're going for a "professional" degree. I mean doctor, lawyer, business. The name and prestige of the school you graduate from probably means more than anything. You'll start off earning double with a business degree from Harvard compared to a state university... even with shit grades.

One thing that I've found works well for me aND I think would maybe work for you as well Griffin is taking classes online. It completely takes the college "experience" out of the equation and makes it just about the work. You can go at your own pace and schedule. It's usually cheaper and the classes are usually way easier... mostly because you have open access to Google.

If you really want to earn money quickly, I think the Internet is probably the one thing that makes the most over night millionaires the fastest these days. Learning how to make websites is good fucking money. I just got quoted 30k for a relatively simple fucking WordPress website... and dude doesn't even have an office. Now I think he over quoted me many times over but it gives you an idea. Learning SEO is money. At least that's my current belief... I'll let you know how it works out.

And just to clarify, I don't mean to say you'll become a millionaires just by learning to code and building other people's websites. However, building yourself the right one or the right blog can. It starts with the coding but needs to be backed by a good or unique idea...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:07:33 PM by Guts »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

• Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.Griffin is working their way up.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »
Yeah I was wondering if the 4 year college I want to goto is going to have a bunch of younger kids, I hope not its nice to have people your age to group up with on projects i'll be at the CU campus so i'm not sure. My public speaking is the only class this semester that has a majority of 21 and under students, probably because its a core class and everyone takes it their first year. In my 2 sociology classes there is only 2-3 people younger than me, most people in those 2 classes are older than me by 10 years plus, only about 5 or 6 that are my age.

I was surprised at how many were 40+ that go there, I wonder how common that is now. I like old people but last year there was this 75 year old guy in my math class, I have no idea how he passed the other classes to get in, my teacher couldn't explain anything with out getting bombarded with questions by him. The teacher also had to yell pretty much the whole time because his hearing aids weren't great and he refused to sit up from because he couldn't read the board.

It definitely had a negative impact for the whole class because he would keep asking why to the point where it sounded like he was acting like the kid on big daddy that keeps asking why when playing cards with rob schnieder. Everyone laughed the first time because they thought he was joking with the professor, after that it was extremely annoying.

The conversation would be talking about dividing fractions and go
Teacher: for most problems with fractions it's easiest to get the lowest common denominator first to divide the fraction
old dude: Why
Teacher: So that you can work with smaller numbers
Old Dude: Why?
Teacher: It can save time, and most people are better at calculating smaller numbers,
Old dude: why?
Teacher: so they can use their fingers to count, lets go on please after getting the lcd you'll want to get the reciprocal of the second fraction by flipping it upside down. So 1/4 becomes 4/1.
Old dude: what is an lcd, and why do we need to flip it.
Teacher: lcd is least common denominator, you need to find the reciprocal to be able to complete the problem this way.
Old dude: why can't you do it another way without flipping it thats confusing.
Teacher: This is the easiest way to finish these kinds of problems, after flipping the reciprocal you'll need to multiply straight across.
Old dude: I thought we were doing division why do you need to multiply
Teacher: to get the answer, please wait till i'm done explaining the problem to ask questions, so after you have multiplied straight across, you'll need to make sure that your answer can't be reduced.
Old dude: why does it need to be reduced if we already reduced it. what do you mean multiply straight across?
Teacher: To get the answer right it must be in its lowest form, multiply the numbers on the top together and then the number on the bottom.
Old dude WHY?

I am not exaggerating after 3 or 4 weeks the teacher would either just not answer it or tell him to stay after class for help or go see a tutor. and he would still pop in with 20 whys every single class even when the teacher was ignoring him. and always about stupid shit like why does 3+5=8? or why do they call it dividing if it needs to be multiplied. why do they call it the pythagorean theorem? The guy was there to kill time he wasn't going after a degree, was retired, and it was annoying I don't know if he was just trying to get loan money or what but damn.

Sorry i had to get that out, i couldn't handle that dude, everyone hated him. I guess its less annoying then younger kids talking the whole time atleast you get a super indepth and thorough analysis of every damn thing.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Griffin (OP)

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »
Yeah, I didn't like the online classes very much as I couldn't pick up the info as easily and do good in class. That might change when I get out of this school, if its a bunch of younger kids that are annoying and disrupting then I might go that route but its not like high school so I don't have to talk to anyone and people are paying it so they aren't fucking around as much. That is why I didn't goto school after high school I hated school then I hated being around people, and I wanted to do the whole social part of college with out the classes and party all the time.

Now I really like school and am not wasting money by dropping out of classes, from being hungover every day. I am trying to do a few start ups, and invention ideas in hopes that one day i will make a lot of money off them but other than that I have no ambition to seek a career for monetary reasons alone.

It is so dumb how much people have made of start ups for dumb ass shit like they just come up with an idea and put up a go fund me page and make a lot of money for absolutely nothing. One guy raised $200,000 because he wanted to try and make a jellyfish aquarium, all he had was a drawing of the idea nothing actually made or real research done, but he was still able to raise 200,000 to try to build it. Also one dude raised 75000 to try and build a remote controlled aquarium that basically drives itself through a house which ever way it was swimming. I
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Guts

• Reputation Power: 36
  • Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.Guts is working their way up.
  • Last Login:April 25, 2019, 10:04:31 PM
  • Our Community Board
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 12:40:53 PM »
The online thing definitely takes any fun there is in college out of the experience and is almost anti-social. However, it's the only way I found I could get shit done and get good grades. And Im not trying to project myself on to you... just giving you my experience. At the end of the day, statistically speaking, people with some college education make marginally more than people with a high school education. If you're gonna go for it man my only advice would be keep the end game in sight.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:42:32 PM by Guts »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

dopetalk does not endorse any advertised product nor does it accept any liability for it's use or misuse

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

In no event will d&u or any person involved in creating, producing, or distributing site information be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special or consequential damages arising out of the use of or inability to use d&u. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless d&u, its domain founders, sponsors, maintainers, server administrators, volunteers and contributors from and against all liability, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including legal fees, that arise directly or indirectly from the use of any part of the d&u site.

TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU MUST AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ABOVE

Founded December 2014
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal